I just received my HD598 last week, and I have to say, I am very disappointed of it sound-wise (maybe my expectations were a little bit too high). Heres a quick review of it:
(50+ Hrs burn in)
The HD598 produces sounds with high clarity, however it's lacking the low end (BIG TIME). It's able to push very nice highs/mids and the typical Sennheiser veil is not really present there on this model (starting to lean towards akg's signature sound), however, it'll start to sound distorted as you turn up the volume. Its able to produce low freq bass but you can barely hear it. I tend to crank up the volume when I start jamming, but with these headphones I can't. As soon as i start cranking it up, everything start to get out of control, this set cannot handle high SPL. I mean I haven't tried it with an amp, but I really don't think it can go any louder with out buzzing (the cheap car speaker buzz at high volume with bass turned all the way up sound)
HD 598 vs HD 25-1 II
- The HD598 has very, very nice highs, way less harsh than the 25-1 II.
- HD598's soundstage is a lot wider than the 25-1 II.
- HD25-1 II's powerful bass drop massive shit stains on the HD598. The bass on the 25-1 II's bass does not go as low as HD598, however it is able to pack a whole lot of punch .
- The mids on the 25-1 II is a little bit "in yo face", but is balanced in some cases. But then again, the mids on the hd598 seems a little bit recessed, which is probably why it sounds clearer.
- HD 598 is a wee-bit brighter than 25-1 II.
Conclusion: Other than very nice highs, it's not really fun listening to electronica/regae/rock/blues music with the HD598. It's a no brainer (to me) that the 25-1 II is better. But then again... preference!
Other headphones I own: Beyerdynamic DT 770, Sennheiser HD 25-1 II, Sennheiser HD 380, Ultrasone PRO 750, Audio Technica ATH-M50
Other headphones I own that I would prefer over the HD598: Beyerdynamic DT 770, Sennheiser HD 25-1 II, Sennheiser HD 380, Ultrasone PRO 750
Other than having a sexy look, the HD598 is not worth the money.
Edited by stevengotremix - 12/24/10 at 7:40am