Any DAC that accepts optical or coaxial digital input will work. USB input will not work since the i20 has no USB output.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ALO's new portable DAC. Last post on 8/24/12 at 8:53pm in Portable Source Gear
- The Centrance HiFi M8 thread Last post on 3/13/17 at 10:42pm in Portable Source Gear
- External DAC and headphone amp for iPhone Last post on 8/14/12 at 12:20pm in Portable Source Gear
- External sound card for music and movies at $100 Last post on 8/13/12 at 2:06pm in Portable Source Gear
- Seeking portable FLAC/ALAC player with true line out. Last post on 12/17/12 at 4:07am in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
In side the box besides the headphones of course, is the 3.5m cable which allows you to plug them into wired with any source, then the USB charge cable, which is...
Introduction/Disclaimer: I would like to thank Denise with Mixcder for the opportunity to review the X5 in ear monitor headphones. They provided me a free sample in exchange for my honest...
First thing you think of when you see this is, can this really project sound in 360 degrees, When you look at it, you wouldn't think it could. But yes it does, Sound is projected from...
Acknowledgment Thank you Lear for providing this review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. This review may also be viewed on my blog, here. List Price: $65 at time of review plus...
Pure i-20 iPod/iPhone Dock as a DAC - Page 27
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #392 of 5498/4/12 at 6:29amQuote:
I agree with BmWr75 but also remember that the I-20 dose have a 24-bit 192 KHz DAC for its analogue outputpost #393 of 5498/16/12 at 5:17pm
I got an i-20 for Christmas so I could set up a secondary headphone rig in our rec room. That idea go quite as expected so for the most part the dock has acted as a charging station until last week when I picked up a NAD C326BEE for our modest speaker setup. After hooking up the i-20 to the NAD I was a bit perplexed why my iPhone 4S's volume still worked. I shot off an email to Pure at the same time a browsed through this and other threads but I didn't see a full explanation as to what was going on. I just received a reply from Pure which shed light on it for me so I thought I'd share.Quote:Yes iPods have a universal control system that means the volumes are synchronised, it's not being lowered on the iPod itself, it send a message to the dock.
I double checked this by plugging my phone into the dock and turning the volume up and down with the remote, lo and behold the volume on the iPhone itself goes up and down as well confirming Pure's explanation.
Sorry if this is old news.post #394 of 5498/18/12 at 10:46pmDes anyone know how much louder/ more gain the analogue output of the i20 has compared to an ipod classic's line out from an apple dock or the analogue output from an airport express?
I have a cambridge audio stereo amp that outputs a fair 75 watts into 8 ohms but my speakers aren't the most efficient and I would like to have a source with a decent ouput level rather than turn the volume up on the amp.
Would rather not have to spend and buy a whole new source like a media player of some sort but use my ipod classic.
Matthewpost #395 of 5498/24/12 at 4:22ampost #396 of 5498/24/12 at 5:47pmI do not own the pure dock.
I was just wondering if anyone who does own it knows either from the specs or from listening whether the line out from the pure dock is significantly louder than the line out from the apple dock.
I would like to use the volume from my amplifier so would leave the volume on the ipod untouched, though as a true line out i presume the pure dock's audio out would be a fixed volume ie non adjustable.
Thankspost #397 of 5499/6/12 at 10:09pm
I bought the Pure I-20 a few weeks ago. However, my iPod 80Gb Classic will not work with the dock. It gives an error that the accessory is not compatible. The Pure I-20 manual indicates that the 80Gb iPod Classic is supported.
Has anyone faced this issue?post #398 of 5499/7/12 at 6:26amQuote:
I get that message on occasion with my iPhone 4S, in fact it just happened last night. Usually just taking it off and putting it back on will do the trick but there have been a couple of times that it was stubborn so I had to do it a few times.post #399 of 54912/17/12 at 11:32pmQuote:
You connect any external DAC via Toslink or SP/DIF (coax) it is just fine and will always work. The decoding is done before the audio is sent to the output... I use one as part of my reading and relaxing setup, it's been great. Of course with new iPod connectors, the question is will it work with the thunderbolt adaptor. Anyone tried?post #400 of 54912/28/12 at 8:15pm
For those of us who have an A/V receiver with very good quality DACs.Would we benefit also using these docks?I'm using an apple dock with my ipod classic to my Onkyo with Burr Brown Dacs.And it sounds excellent.
PS. I haven't read the whole thread yet.Apologies if it was already answered.
Edited by Nirvana1000 - 12/28/12 at 8:20pmpost #401 of 54912/28/12 at 10:31pm
If you're using an Apple dock you're not listening to the DAC in your receiver, you're listening to the DAC in your iPod.
That's the difference with the i-20, it bypasses the DAC in your iPod and gives you Spdif digital outputs to connect to your receiver's digital inputs (RCA/coax or Toslink).
All the Apple dock does is bypass the iPod's internal amplifier, it is still outputting an analog (line-level) signal.
Edited by grokit - 12/28/12 at 10:36pmpost #402 of 5491/2/13 at 10:01pm
Found a nice perk using Apple's "Home Sharing" to my old iPhone 4, I can stream my 88 and 96KHz content to the phone and it appears to be outputing 24 bits via SPDIF...post #403 of 5491/3/13 at 2:15pm
I have had an i-20 for a couple of months now and love the sound it produces:
ipod touch 2nd gen > i-20 analog out > audio innovations amp > polk rt12's..... hardly high end I know but we are amazed at the audio quality (it's a bedroom setup but rapidly becoming the main listening room!).
I want to move the 2nd gen ipod touch back to the bedside clock radio dock thingy for wakey up music and get a new ipod for the i-20 so
My question is: Which one is best suited for the i-20? I have skim read every page of this thread and also been going nuts researching "best ipod audio" threads. Does it not matter if it has a wolfson or cirrus(?) chipset? Is it just a ones and zeros storage pod as we are sucking the bits out of the bottom connector (and not using headphone out)?
thankspost #404 of 5491/4/13 at 3:30pm^ yes your final sentence is right. Choice of iPod does not matter as the i20 bypasses the iPod dac chip. That's the point of the i20 - bit perfect retrieval of the digital data stream from the iPod. Choose your iPod based on ergonomics and capacity factors.
Right now you are using the i20's built-in dac to convert the iPod's digital stream to analog. The next obvious step is to take the digital direct from the i20 to an external dac. You do this by connecting to the i20's coax or optical out.post #405 of 5491/4/13 at 4:11pm
Another consideration for device choice is Home Sharing via iTunes, for which you need an iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad with wifi.
With Home Sharing you can also get streaming of your main music library. I have a TB of music, now I don't have to worry about what's actually on the device on the i20, I have my whole library including my 24/88 and 24/96 material.
- Pure i-20 iPod/iPhone Dock as a DAC
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › V-MODA Forza Metallo Wireless Discussion with Val Kolton +... 25 seconds ago
- › Sony MDR-1000X 1 minute ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 2 minutes ago
- › Ranking the Stars - flinkenick's 2017 IEM Flagship Shootout 3 minutes ago
- › AUDEZE LCD-Pro 4 minutes ago
- › Tidal Masters & MQA Appreciation Thread! 4 minutes ago
- › Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 5 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 DAP 6 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 8 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ObjectVoice
- › Archeer AH07 Bluetooth Headphones Wireless Stereo Over Ear... by genclaymore
- › Wired Earphones, Mixcder X5 In-Ear Earbud Headphones Metal Housing... by slowpickr
- › ARCHEER Bluetooth Speakers Fabric Covering Portable Wireless... by genclaymore
- › LEAR BTC-01 by glassmonkey
- › Xiaomi Mi Hybrid Pro HD by Nymphonomaniac
- › Vibro Labs Aria quad armature in-ear monitor by Delance26
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Layman1
- › Fischer Audio Omega Spark by B9Scrambler
- › Meze 99 Neo by ryanjsoo
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear