Any DAC that accepts optical or coaxial digital input will work. USB input will not work since the i20 has no USB output.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ALO's new portable DAC. Last post on 8/24/12 at 8:53pm in Portable Source Gear
- The Centrance HiFi M8 thread Last post on Yesterday at 9:24 am in Portable Source Gear
- External DAC and headphone amp for iPhone Last post on 8/14/12 at 12:20pm in Portable Source Gear
- External sound card for music and movies at $100 Last post on 8/13/12 at 2:06pm in Portable Source Gear
- Seeking portable FLAC/ALAC player with true line out. Last post on 12/17/12 at 4:07am in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
I want to thank @Todd of TTVJ for this wonderful surprise, and opportunity to review the fine Elear. It was a wonderful 7+ days, which I thoroughly enjoyed; extended due to a weather delay. Best...
Bought my Fiio X5 and it worked great for a few months, then one day, it got very hot ! so I sent it back for a warranty replacement, and it worked great until for just over a year, and now the...
AMPSANDSOUNDS KENZIE- what....a....WEEK! The Kenzie is handmade in Southern California with U.S.-sourced parts and custom hand-wound output transformers from Transcender, out of Hollister, CA....
Following the HD600s, I had simply obtained the Superlux 668b as a point of comparison and reference, as it is a well know and popular budget Headphone. My brother also uses a pair that he swears...
In an age where (multi-driver) hybrids are all the rage, the G3 is a single dynamic from a maker known for well-regarded, modestly-price earbuds. I bought these after reading the frenetic praise...
Pure i-20 iPod/iPhone Dock as a DAC - Page 27
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #392 of 5418/4/12 at 6:29amQuote:
I agree with BmWr75 but also remember that the I-20 dose have a 24-bit 192 KHz DAC for its analogue outputpost #393 of 5418/16/12 at 5:17pm
I got an i-20 for Christmas so I could set up a secondary headphone rig in our rec room. That idea go quite as expected so for the most part the dock has acted as a charging station until last week when I picked up a NAD C326BEE for our modest speaker setup. After hooking up the i-20 to the NAD I was a bit perplexed why my iPhone 4S's volume still worked. I shot off an email to Pure at the same time a browsed through this and other threads but I didn't see a full explanation as to what was going on. I just received a reply from Pure which shed light on it for me so I thought I'd share.Quote:Yes iPods have a universal control system that means the volumes are synchronised, it's not being lowered on the iPod itself, it send a message to the dock.
I double checked this by plugging my phone into the dock and turning the volume up and down with the remote, lo and behold the volume on the iPhone itself goes up and down as well confirming Pure's explanation.
Sorry if this is old news.post #394 of 5418/18/12 at 10:46pmDes anyone know how much louder/ more gain the analogue output of the i20 has compared to an ipod classic's line out from an apple dock or the analogue output from an airport express?
I have a cambridge audio stereo amp that outputs a fair 75 watts into 8 ohms but my speakers aren't the most efficient and I would like to have a source with a decent ouput level rather than turn the volume up on the amp.
Would rather not have to spend and buy a whole new source like a media player of some sort but use my ipod classic.
Matthewpost #395 of 5418/24/12 at 4:22ampost #396 of 5418/24/12 at 5:47pmI do not own the pure dock.
I was just wondering if anyone who does own it knows either from the specs or from listening whether the line out from the pure dock is significantly louder than the line out from the apple dock.
I would like to use the volume from my amplifier so would leave the volume on the ipod untouched, though as a true line out i presume the pure dock's audio out would be a fixed volume ie non adjustable.
Thankspost #397 of 5419/6/12 at 10:09pm
I bought the Pure I-20 a few weeks ago. However, my iPod 80Gb Classic will not work with the dock. It gives an error that the accessory is not compatible. The Pure I-20 manual indicates that the 80Gb iPod Classic is supported.
Has anyone faced this issue?post #398 of 5419/7/12 at 6:26amQuote:
I get that message on occasion with my iPhone 4S, in fact it just happened last night. Usually just taking it off and putting it back on will do the trick but there have been a couple of times that it was stubborn so I had to do it a few times.post #399 of 54112/17/12 at 11:32pmQuote:
You connect any external DAC via Toslink or SP/DIF (coax) it is just fine and will always work. The decoding is done before the audio is sent to the output... I use one as part of my reading and relaxing setup, it's been great. Of course with new iPod connectors, the question is will it work with the thunderbolt adaptor. Anyone tried?post #400 of 54112/28/12 at 8:15pm
For those of us who have an A/V receiver with very good quality DACs.Would we benefit also using these docks?I'm using an apple dock with my ipod classic to my Onkyo with Burr Brown Dacs.And it sounds excellent.
PS. I haven't read the whole thread yet.Apologies if it was already answered.
Edited by Nirvana1000 - 12/28/12 at 8:20pmpost #401 of 54112/28/12 at 10:31pm
If you're using an Apple dock you're not listening to the DAC in your receiver, you're listening to the DAC in your iPod.
That's the difference with the i-20, it bypasses the DAC in your iPod and gives you Spdif digital outputs to connect to your receiver's digital inputs (RCA/coax or Toslink).
All the Apple dock does is bypass the iPod's internal amplifier, it is still outputting an analog (line-level) signal.
Edited by grokit - 12/28/12 at 10:36pmpost #402 of 5411/2/13 at 10:01pm
Found a nice perk using Apple's "Home Sharing" to my old iPhone 4, I can stream my 88 and 96KHz content to the phone and it appears to be outputing 24 bits via SPDIF...post #403 of 5411/3/13 at 2:15pm
I have had an i-20 for a couple of months now and love the sound it produces:
ipod touch 2nd gen > i-20 analog out > audio innovations amp > polk rt12's..... hardly high end I know but we are amazed at the audio quality (it's a bedroom setup but rapidly becoming the main listening room!).
I want to move the 2nd gen ipod touch back to the bedside clock radio dock thingy for wakey up music and get a new ipod for the i-20 so
My question is: Which one is best suited for the i-20? I have skim read every page of this thread and also been going nuts researching "best ipod audio" threads. Does it not matter if it has a wolfson or cirrus(?) chipset? Is it just a ones and zeros storage pod as we are sucking the bits out of the bottom connector (and not using headphone out)?
thankspost #404 of 5411/4/13 at 3:30pm^ yes your final sentence is right. Choice of iPod does not matter as the i20 bypasses the iPod dac chip. That's the point of the i20 - bit perfect retrieval of the digital data stream from the iPod. Choose your iPod based on ergonomics and capacity factors.
Right now you are using the i20's built-in dac to convert the iPod's digital stream to analog. The next obvious step is to take the digital direct from the i20 to an external dac. You do this by connecting to the i20's coax or optical out.post #405 of 5411/4/13 at 4:11pm
Another consideration for device choice is Home Sharing via iTunes, for which you need an iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad with wifi.
With Home Sharing you can also get streaming of your main music library. I have a TB of music, now I don't have to worry about what's actually on the device on the i20, I have my whole library including my 24/88 and 24/96 material.
- Pure i-20 iPod/iPhone Dock as a DAC
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android |... 23 seconds ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 23 seconds ago
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 33 seconds ago
- › Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP... 45 seconds ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 47 seconds ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 1 minute ago
- › LG V20 Sound Quality 1 minute ago
- › AKG K501 headphones 1 minute ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 2 minutes ago
- › Obscure Chinese DAPs 2 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear by ngoshawk
- › FiiO X5 High-res Portable Music Player by GhostPhantom
- › ampsandsound Kenzie Headphone Amplifier by ngoshawk
- › Superlux HD-668 B by snapacap
- › TY Hi-Z G3 by loomisjohnson
- › Accutone Pisces BA Hybrid IEM by crabdog
- › Schiit Modi Multibit by Trogdor
- › InEar ProPhile 8 by Mimouille
- › Campfire Audio Vega by Currawong
- › Astell & Kern AK Jr. Hi-Res Music Player 64GB by vincik
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear