Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Pure i-20 iPod/iPhone Dock as a DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pure i-20 iPod/iPhone Dock as a DAC - Page 2

post #16 of 505

Thanks a bunch to the OP. This cradle is exactly what i've been waiting for. And the price tag is a steal imo.

post #17 of 505

its cheaper digital docks like this that give me hope that some day.. maybe even soon, someone will create a portable, and compact digital out cable, similar to an LOD, for an ipod... though i wonder if the demand would actually be there.. 

post #18 of 505

here:

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/pure-i-20-easily-connect-your-ios-device-to-your-media-centre-05-01-2011/

 

it says:

 

"The i-20also includes two digital outputs; coaxial S/PDIF and optical TOSLINK, bypassing the integral DAC allowing you to play the raw digital audio from your iOS device and your hi-fi amplifier to process the audio."

post #19 of 505

anymore reviews from users/owners here?

post #20 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoyman View Post

here:

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/pure-i-20-easily-connect-your-ios-device-to-your-media-centre-05-01-2011/

 

it says:

 

"The i-20also includes two digital outputs; coaxial S/PDIF and optical TOSLINK, bypassing the integral DAC allowing you to play the raw digital audio from your iOS device and your hi-fi amplifier to process the audio."

oooooooooooh.... now if it could only operate without being plugged in.. very_evil_smiley.gif

 

maybe some DIY'er could buy this thing, gut it, and pair it down for portable and battery operated use.. I'd certainly get in line!
 

post #21 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Br777 View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoyman View Post

here:

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/pure-i-20-easily-connect-your-ios-device-to-your-media-centre-05-01-2011/

 

it says:

 

"The i-20also includes two digital outputs; coaxial S/PDIF and optical TOSLINK, bypassing the integral DAC allowing you to play the raw digital audio from your iOS device and your hi-fi amplifier to process the audio."

oooooooooooh.... now if it could only operate without being plugged in.. very_evil_smiley.gif

 

maybe some DIY'er could buy this thing, gut it, and pair it down for portable and battery operated use.. I'd certainly get in line!
 



^that is my problem too..

it is not made to be PORTABLE.

 

i hope they did think about people like us who want things to be light, cord-free...

 

 

PURE, are you listening?

post #22 of 505

Yeah, I think that people need to be a little patient.  I know Wadia was a novelty when they first introduced the digital out from iPod, but it is becoming more and more comoditized...meaning that they won't be able to charge us an arm and a leg for ipod digital out soon enough.  Eventually, it will be commonplace, even in the portable world (my guess about 1-2 years)

post #23 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoyman View Post





^that is my problem too..

it is not made to be PORTABLE.

 

i hope they did think about people like us who want things to be light, cord-free...

 

 

PURE, are you listening?



i dont doubt for a second that there arent plenty of people/companies that have considered a portable digital out for ipods, however getting Apple to give the nod is undoubtedly a major hurdle if not a complete block.


Edited by Br777 - 1/10/11 at 4:37pm
post #24 of 505

When I saw this I was also hoping it would be portable and pocketable. I would be in for somehow getting my iPhone to be a transport with still being a small size so that I could fit in my pocket without a massive buldge my iPhone 4, Arrow 12he 3g and the "digital lod" for a sub 150 price. This is definitely a step in the right direction though.

post #25 of 505

still, even not portable i find this product very interesting.

 

seeing all the connections out, the inbuilt DAC and a remote is still bang for the buck dock.

 

now, let's wait for more review inputs of owners.

post #26 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Br777 View Post





i dont doubt for a second that there arent plenty of people/companies that have considered a portable digital out for ipods, however getting Apple to give the nod is undoubtedly a major hurdle if not a complete block.



 



Well the Solo is battery powered, portable (although a little too big) and Apple certified so it's certainly possible, it's just too expensive compared to this one.
post #27 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc8000 View Post

Well the Solo is battery powered, portable (although a little too big) and Apple certified so it's certainly possible, it's just too expensive compared to this one.


the issue i have with the solo is that i would use it with the already sort of bulky jh3a, which would be a bit too much for portable use IMO, but even more so than that is the price, especially since it is being paid for a lot of features that in my case are not needed.

 

it must be possible to make a digital out that is comparable in size to a lod, if not ever so slightly bigger. 

post #28 of 505

If it's true what Ken or Vinnie write in the Solo thread that such a device must be able to charge the iDevice when connected in order to be certified and thereby get access to the decoder chip I don't think it's going to get much smaller than the Solo due to battery size. But it would be really cool to get something perhaps the size of the Pico Slim or smaller that would supply a digital out from an iDevice and do nothing other than that.

post #29 of 505

Wow this is sweet. I had all but given up on my iPod...... ;-)

post #30 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoyman View Post

well, does this work as a transport, same as the popular wadia and the onkyo nd-s1?

 

can i use this with my dac, the maverick audio d1?

 

thanks!



Yes, I have used it as such now. My AT-DHA3000 has digital inputs and it works like a charm. And a tube DAC will suit it fine I think. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Pure i-20 iPod/iPhone Dock as a DAC