Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMB Labs Beta22tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productAudio-gd FUN Basic DAC / Headphone Amptagged by System, 12/23/10
- productAudio-gd NFB-10tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productBottlehead Crack OTLtagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 12/23/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 12/23/10
- productMusical Fidelity X-Can v3tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productRSA Hornettagged by System, 6/20/12
- brandSugdentagged by System, 6/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 7/16/15 at 1:27am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Advice on down-sizing Last post on 9/19/12 at 7:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 6/30/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
The Blackwood and Cherrywood side by side. Overall view of what this review consisted of. First of all, I’d like to thank Zach for supplying the Omni for this...
Everybody knows Sennheiser. They are doing great job at delivering good sound for all prices. I am doing this review with price factor in thought. First of all it is suprisingly detailed sounding...
Wow. There doesn’t seem to be a more appropriate way to word the beginning of this review, than to simply express my genuine surprise, and indeed – to a certain extent – admiration of the UMi Voix...
I bought the Q Audio French Silk balanced cable for my Audeze LCD-3's mainly because of the ergonomics and cool design/look over the stock cables. When running balanced, I doubted I would hear much...
I got a pair of these new on Amazon about a month and a half ago. I thought they sounded great for a pair of closed on-ears, and were pretty decently comfortable to the point that listening to...
Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones - Page 67post #991 of 41373/9/13 at 12:30pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #992 of 41373/9/13 at 1:02pmpost #993 of 41373/9/13 at 1:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by Happy Camper
The size of amp is dependent on the design. The Nelson Pass amps have two different (more really but keeping it simple) designs for different loads. One is a voltage gain device and the other is a current device. The 10 watt F1 is miles more effective than say a regular 100 watt speaker amp with the 6s. I'm going to make a semi experienced guess to say 60-80 watts @ 8 ohms is about the most you'd want to put on them safely. There have been guys trying them on a 500w amp but you have to be very sure of your volume controls for something crazy like that. I recently blew my 6s when I pushed the wrong button on a new DAC and put the full 2v signal to a pair of 125w monoblocks that were set up for auto sense to come on. Living on the edge means sometimes experiencing the other side to know where it is. Not recommended for public consumption.
Thanks for the insight on these mysterious boxes (Nelson Pass amps). If I lived any closer, I'd get together with you over Pizza while you're waiting.post #994 of 41373/9/13 at 1:15pmQuote:
Hey - don't forget me... I'll bring the tea.... ha ha ha....post #995 of 41373/9/13 at 1:21pmQuote:Originally Posted by wuwhere
Duelund Graphite Silver CAST Resistors
That's even better as they are UK based.post #996 of 41373/9/13 at 2:36pmQuote:Originally Posted by wuwhere
Duelund Graphite Silver CAST Resistors
Thank you and thank you to happy camper. Seems worthwhile
Garypost #997 of 41373/9/13 at 2:40pmQuote:
A Support Group for the ages...I'd love to hang out with y'all some day. Never know when one of us is gonna be amp-less or can-less. Now that I think about that, it's a rather disturbing thought. The absence of audio?post #998 of 41373/9/13 at 2:58pm
What would be the models for the two types of resistors? There seems to be two judging from the pictures.
I'm a fan of DIY, so this feels like a worthwhile mod. Thanks for the suggestion.
Edited by Benjamin6264 - 3/9/13 at 3:01pmpost #999 of 41373/9/13 at 3:19pmQuote:
You can make your own graphite resistors using pencil leads.post #1000 of 41373/9/13 at 3:27pm
That is really cool! Thank you Wuwhere!Quote:Originally Posted by wuwhere
You can make your own graphite resistors using pencil leads.post #1001 of 41373/9/13 at 3:51pm
The thing though is you would not know the power handling and the tolerance of a diy graphite resistor. However, you can compare them with a non-graphite and hear if there is a difference.post #1002 of 41373/9/13 at 7:17pmpost #1003 of 41373/9/13 at 7:23pmQuote:
I know the 25 ohm in series is 1/4 watt, the 10 ohm in parallel is probably 10 watts.
You can also look at the picture and figure out the values from the resistance stripe codes.
Edited by wuwhere - 3/9/13 at 7:30pmpost #1004 of 41373/9/13 at 7:44pm
BTW you can also use the Duelund non-CAST Graphite Silver Resistors for half the price of the CAST.post #1005 of 41373/9/13 at 7:53pm
Also, I believe that the small 25 ohm 1/4 watt resistor in series was put in there to protect the HE-6 from over-current. If you calculate the total impedance of the 10 ohm resistor in parallel with the 50 ohm HE-6 and in series with the 25 ohm resistor, its still about 8 ohms.
- Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Stax SRM-1/Mk2 Re-cap 38 seconds ago
- › CUSTOMART AU/NZ CIEM Demo Lineup Tour 47 seconds ago
- › Ortofon e-Q5 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › New iBasso Portable Amp/DAC: iBasso D14 "Bushmaster" 2 minutes ago
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-A900Ti Headphones 2 minutes ago
- › New Sony high-end DSD gear, including a USB DAC 2 minutes ago
- › Roland RH-300 impressions 3 minutes ago
- › Great news for rooted android users--Viper4Android 3 minutes ago
- › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread 4 minutes ago
- › ZMF Headphones Omni by Jjacq
- › Sennheiser - Sennheiser CX 200 Street II by Gonomon
- › UMI Voix Blu by Rashmosh
- › Q Cables by Mediahound
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by goodyfresh
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by Hisoundfi
- › Apogee GROOVE Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier for Mac and PC by acain
- › Noble Audio Savant by Brooko
- › Bose® Computer MusicMonitor® -- Silver by labrat
- › Harman Kardon AE1 In Ear Headphones by Army-Firedawg
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3