Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMB Labs Beta22tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productAudio-gd FUN Basic DAC / Headphone Amptagged by System, 12/23/10
- productAudio-gd NFB-10tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productBottlehead Crack OTLtagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 12/23/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 12/23/10
- productMusical Fidelity X-Can v3tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productRSA Hornettagged by System, 6/20/12
- brandSugdentagged by System, 6/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 10/4/14 at 4:50am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Advice on down-sizing Last post on 9/19/12 at 7:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Introduction – Read Heath Audio (or RHA for short) are soon to release their latest and greatest earphone, the T10i. Much like the rest of RHA’s products, the T10i’s were designed to offer premium...
I've owned an EarMax and Sennheiser HD 580's for 20 years, so I'm already familiar with tubed OTL headphone amps. The linestage of my old Quicksilver started developing some noise, and I didn't...
I bought these from Amazon about 2 weeks ago, and felt buyer's remorse when I wasn't blown away by the sound. They aren't bad, but they do lack bass and the feel is cheap. They were somewhat...
I would like to thank Brainwavz for the review sample of R3! Brainwavz R3 is a dual dynamic drivers IEM. It has 2 dynamic drivers in each housing, facing each other into a sound blending...
HIFIMAN HE-560 ON TAP: A FIRST DAY REVIEW SAGA (HIFIMAN HE-560 TOUR IMPRESSIONS) FIRST IMPRESSIONS Wow ... what a big box! I was expecting a more economically packaged box, but once I...
Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones - Page 67post #991 of 32893/9/13 at 12:30pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #992 of 32893/9/13 at 1:02pmpost #993 of 32893/9/13 at 1:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by Happy Camper
The size of amp is dependent on the design. The Nelson Pass amps have two different (more really but keeping it simple) designs for different loads. One is a voltage gain device and the other is a current device. The 10 watt F1 is miles more effective than say a regular 100 watt speaker amp with the 6s. I'm going to make a semi experienced guess to say 60-80 watts @ 8 ohms is about the most you'd want to put on them safely. There have been guys trying them on a 500w amp but you have to be very sure of your volume controls for something crazy like that. I recently blew my 6s when I pushed the wrong button on a new DAC and put the full 2v signal to a pair of 125w monoblocks that were set up for auto sense to come on. Living on the edge means sometimes experiencing the other side to know where it is. Not recommended for public consumption.
Thanks for the insight on these mysterious boxes (Nelson Pass amps). If I lived any closer, I'd get together with you over Pizza while you're waiting.post #994 of 32893/9/13 at 1:15pmQuote:
Hey - don't forget me... I'll bring the tea.... ha ha ha....post #995 of 32893/9/13 at 1:21pmQuote:Originally Posted by wuwhere
Duelund Graphite Silver CAST Resistors
That's even better as they are UK based.post #996 of 32893/9/13 at 2:36pmQuote:Originally Posted by wuwhere
Duelund Graphite Silver CAST Resistors
Thank you and thank you to happy camper. Seems worthwhile
Garypost #997 of 32893/9/13 at 2:40pmQuote:
A Support Group for the ages...I'd love to hang out with y'all some day. Never know when one of us is gonna be amp-less or can-less. Now that I think about that, it's a rather disturbing thought. The absence of audio?post #998 of 32893/9/13 at 2:58pm
What would be the models for the two types of resistors? There seems to be two judging from the pictures.
I'm a fan of DIY, so this feels like a worthwhile mod. Thanks for the suggestion.
Edited by Benjamin6264 - 3/9/13 at 3:01pmpost #999 of 32893/9/13 at 3:19pmQuote:
You can make your own graphite resistors using pencil leads.post #1000 of 32893/9/13 at 3:27pm
That is really cool! Thank you Wuwhere!Quote:Originally Posted by wuwhere
You can make your own graphite resistors using pencil leads.post #1001 of 32893/9/13 at 3:51pm
The thing though is you would not know the power handling and the tolerance of a diy graphite resistor. However, you can compare them with a non-graphite and hear if there is a difference.post #1002 of 32893/9/13 at 7:17pmpost #1003 of 32893/9/13 at 7:23pmQuote:
I know the 25 ohm in series is 1/4 watt, the 10 ohm in parallel is probably 10 watts.
You can also look at the picture and figure out the values from the resistance stripe codes.
Edited by wuwhere - 3/9/13 at 7:30pmpost #1004 of 32893/9/13 at 7:44pmpost #1005 of 32893/9/13 at 7:53pm
Also, I believe that the small 25 ohm 1/4 watt resistor in series was put in there to protect the HE-6 from over-current. If you calculate the total impedance of the 10 ohm resistor in parallel with the 50 ohm HE-6 and in series with the 25 ohm resistor, its still about 8 ohms.
- Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... just now
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 5 seconds ago
- › Destiny 1 minute ago
- › FS [MEL]: Lawton Audio LA7000 Denon7000 1 minute ago
- › A few questions about headphone amps + audio cards 1 minute ago
- › Cheap Kitchen Appliances Nottingham 2 minutes ago
- › Mr Speakers Mad Dog vs. V-Moda M100 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Used Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 Pro 2 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 2 minutes ago
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Terja
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by xonarboy87
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by TheGame21x
- › Sony Walkman NWZ-A10 by castleofargh
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad900x by manbear
- › FitEar Private 333 by Kiats
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)