Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMB Labs Beta22tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productAudio-gd FUN Basic DAC / Headphone Amptagged by System, 12/23/10
- productAudio-gd NFB-10tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productBottlehead Crack OTLtagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 12/23/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 12/23/10
- productMusical Fidelity X-Can v3tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productRSA Hornettagged by System, 6/20/12
- brandSugdentagged by System, 6/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 6/18/15 at 8:36am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Advice on down-sizing Last post on 9/19/12 at 7:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 6/30/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 6/29/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
My WA5-LE is by far the most expensive component in my system, but I can see why. The moment I un-packaged this very heavy piece of kit, I could tell I was in for a ride. By size alone it...
INTRODUCTION Being a fan of the RHA MA750 (RHA's first flagship IEM), I was quite excited to hear when RHA released the T10i. The new stainless shells, novel "memory wire" implementation,...
Audiosense is a new headphone brand in China which surprisingly produces many qualities headphones. The model V2mix4 comes from 4 drivers which are the combination of dynamic drivers and balanced...
Microsoft Lumia 435 Quick Review Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/773374/microsoft-lumia-435-review-by-mark2410 Brief: An insanely cheap wonder device. Price: £30 payg or...
Sorry for my bad English and short impressions. Z7s highs are roll offed. Z7 sounds fatigue free for long listening session. Comfortability is also very good. Z7 sounds analog-ish. when you...
Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones - Page 67post #991 of 41173/9/13 at 12:30pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #992 of 41173/9/13 at 1:02pmpost #993 of 41173/9/13 at 1:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by Happy Camper
The size of amp is dependent on the design. The Nelson Pass amps have two different (more really but keeping it simple) designs for different loads. One is a voltage gain device and the other is a current device. The 10 watt F1 is miles more effective than say a regular 100 watt speaker amp with the 6s. I'm going to make a semi experienced guess to say 60-80 watts @ 8 ohms is about the most you'd want to put on them safely. There have been guys trying them on a 500w amp but you have to be very sure of your volume controls for something crazy like that. I recently blew my 6s when I pushed the wrong button on a new DAC and put the full 2v signal to a pair of 125w monoblocks that were set up for auto sense to come on. Living on the edge means sometimes experiencing the other side to know where it is. Not recommended for public consumption.
Thanks for the insight on these mysterious boxes (Nelson Pass amps). If I lived any closer, I'd get together with you over Pizza while you're waiting.post #994 of 41173/9/13 at 1:15pmQuote:
Hey - don't forget me... I'll bring the tea.... ha ha ha....post #995 of 41173/9/13 at 1:21pmQuote:Originally Posted by wuwhere
Duelund Graphite Silver CAST Resistors
That's even better as they are UK based.post #996 of 41173/9/13 at 2:36pmQuote:Originally Posted by wuwhere
Duelund Graphite Silver CAST Resistors
Thank you and thank you to happy camper. Seems worthwhile
Garypost #997 of 41173/9/13 at 2:40pmQuote:
A Support Group for the ages...I'd love to hang out with y'all some day. Never know when one of us is gonna be amp-less or can-less. Now that I think about that, it's a rather disturbing thought. The absence of audio?post #998 of 41173/9/13 at 2:58pm
What would be the models for the two types of resistors? There seems to be two judging from the pictures.
I'm a fan of DIY, so this feels like a worthwhile mod. Thanks for the suggestion.
Edited by Benjamin6264 - 3/9/13 at 3:01pmpost #999 of 41173/9/13 at 3:19pmQuote:
You can make your own graphite resistors using pencil leads.post #1000 of 41173/9/13 at 3:27pm
That is really cool! Thank you Wuwhere!Quote:Originally Posted by wuwhere
You can make your own graphite resistors using pencil leads.post #1001 of 41173/9/13 at 3:51pm
The thing though is you would not know the power handling and the tolerance of a diy graphite resistor. However, you can compare them with a non-graphite and hear if there is a difference.post #1002 of 41173/9/13 at 7:17pmpost #1003 of 41173/9/13 at 7:23pmQuote:
I know the 25 ohm in series is 1/4 watt, the 10 ohm in parallel is probably 10 watts.
You can also look at the picture and figure out the values from the resistance stripe codes.
Edited by wuwhere - 3/9/13 at 7:30pmpost #1004 of 41173/9/13 at 7:44pm
BTW you can also use the Duelund non-CAST Graphite Silver Resistors for half the price of the CAST.post #1005 of 41173/9/13 at 7:53pm
Also, I believe that the small 25 ohm 1/4 watt resistor in series was put in there to protect the HE-6 from over-current. If you calculate the total impedance of the 10 ohm resistor in parallel with the 50 ohm HE-6 and in series with the 25 ohm resistor, its still about 8 ohms.
- Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 1 minute ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 3 minutes ago
- › Cayin N5 DAP - Rumours and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 598 + Surround Sound | In the same price range? 4 minutes ago
- › ZMF Omni - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship 4 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 4 minutes ago
- › Any good over ear headphones that are portable? 5 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio WA5 LE by Nosbig
- › RHA T20 by nmatheis
- › Audiosense V2mix4 by speedsters
- › Microsoft Lumia 435 UNLOCKED Windows Phone 8 WP8 2G GSM... by mark2410
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Pokemonn
- › CustomArt Ei.3 acrylic custom IEM by Cotnijoe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by ActiveTechREV
- › Westone W50 Five Driver Universal Fit Noise Isolating Earphones, 78505 by twister6
- › MrSpeakers Ether Planar Magnetic Headphones by Currawong
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by maikuirock
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)