Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMB Labs Beta22tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productAudio-gd FUN Basic DAC / Headphone Amptagged by System, 12/23/10
- productAudio-gd NFB-10tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productBottlehead Crack OTLtagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 12/23/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 12/23/10
- productMusical Fidelity X-Can v3tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productRSA Hornettagged by System, 6/20/12
- brandSugdentagged by System, 6/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 10/4/14 at 4:50am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Advice on down-sizing Last post on 9/19/12 at 7:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I bought these to replace my dead Klipsch Image S2-ii after reading many reviews, because I wanted to try something else in the 60-70$ price range for use with my Sansa Clip Zip, and was very...
A big thanks to Drew and every one at Moon Audio, they handled the sale of this new unit to me and...
Brainwavz S0 Full Disclosure: Brainwavz supplied the S0 for this review It seems Brainwavz has been cranking out the new releases in their IEM line up of late. This time they’ve entered the...
TL;DR Review of the AKG Q701’s Accentuated Mids: Enhances most female vocals, also forwards vocals, “livens” synthesizers in electronic music. Can cause vocals to sound uneven due to the 2khz...
Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones - Page 67post #991 of 33073/9/13 at 12:30pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #992 of 33073/9/13 at 1:02pmpost #993 of 33073/9/13 at 1:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by Happy Camper
The size of amp is dependent on the design. The Nelson Pass amps have two different (more really but keeping it simple) designs for different loads. One is a voltage gain device and the other is a current device. The 10 watt F1 is miles more effective than say a regular 100 watt speaker amp with the 6s. I'm going to make a semi experienced guess to say 60-80 watts @ 8 ohms is about the most you'd want to put on them safely. There have been guys trying them on a 500w amp but you have to be very sure of your volume controls for something crazy like that. I recently blew my 6s when I pushed the wrong button on a new DAC and put the full 2v signal to a pair of 125w monoblocks that were set up for auto sense to come on. Living on the edge means sometimes experiencing the other side to know where it is. Not recommended for public consumption.
Thanks for the insight on these mysterious boxes (Nelson Pass amps). If I lived any closer, I'd get together with you over Pizza while you're waiting.post #994 of 33073/9/13 at 1:15pmQuote:
Hey - don't forget me... I'll bring the tea.... ha ha ha....post #995 of 33073/9/13 at 1:21pmQuote:Originally Posted by wuwhere
Duelund Graphite Silver CAST Resistors
That's even better as they are UK based.post #996 of 33073/9/13 at 2:36pmQuote:Originally Posted by wuwhere
Duelund Graphite Silver CAST Resistors
Thank you and thank you to happy camper. Seems worthwhile
Garypost #997 of 33073/9/13 at 2:40pmQuote:
A Support Group for the ages...I'd love to hang out with y'all some day. Never know when one of us is gonna be amp-less or can-less. Now that I think about that, it's a rather disturbing thought. The absence of audio?post #998 of 33073/9/13 at 2:58pm
What would be the models for the two types of resistors? There seems to be two judging from the pictures.
I'm a fan of DIY, so this feels like a worthwhile mod. Thanks for the suggestion.
Edited by Benjamin6264 - 3/9/13 at 3:01pmpost #999 of 33073/9/13 at 3:19pmQuote:
You can make your own graphite resistors using pencil leads.post #1000 of 33073/9/13 at 3:27pm
That is really cool! Thank you Wuwhere!Quote:Originally Posted by wuwhere
You can make your own graphite resistors using pencil leads.post #1001 of 33073/9/13 at 3:51pm
The thing though is you would not know the power handling and the tolerance of a diy graphite resistor. However, you can compare them with a non-graphite and hear if there is a difference.post #1002 of 33073/9/13 at 7:17pmpost #1003 of 33073/9/13 at 7:23pmQuote:
I know the 25 ohm in series is 1/4 watt, the 10 ohm in parallel is probably 10 watts.
You can also look at the picture and figure out the values from the resistance stripe codes.
Edited by wuwhere - 3/9/13 at 7:30pmpost #1004 of 33073/9/13 at 7:44pmpost #1005 of 33073/9/13 at 7:53pm
Also, I believe that the small 25 ohm 1/4 watt resistor in series was put in there to protect the HE-6 from over-current. If you calculate the total impedance of the 10 ohm resistor in parallel with the 50 ohm HE-6 and in series with the 25 ohm resistor, its still about 8 ohms.
- Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Brainwavz' new portable headphone amplifier: AP001 13 seconds ago
- › New Gaming Headset 55 seconds ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3 1 minute ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page: Downloads & general... 1 minute ago
- › [Review] InEar SD-2, a $450 dual driver IEM worth every penny to my... 2 minutes ago
- › iDSD micro Crowd-Designed! Phase 3: iCLUB members wanted to test... 3 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NWZ-A10 Series Walkman. Micro SD Card Slot! 6 minutes ago
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes 6 minutes ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 8 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 102 iE In-Ear Headphones (Silver) by MenacingTuba
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 by Mshenay
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by shotgunshane
- › AKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature... by Nec3
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by CasperBxl
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by Currawong
- › Alessandro MS1i by Mshenay
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by ringofoaksmusic
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by AManAnd88Keys
- › Dunu DN-1000 by chupacabra314
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)