Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones - Page 66

post #976 of 3090

.


Edited by bareyb - 3/6/13 at 2:37pm
post #977 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=104

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzerdave View Post

 

prepro beat me to it.  I have one and use it from time to time with my tube amps.

 

Well. You both beat me to it. I was just coming to post a link: http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=104 tongue.gif

 

So. What happens if you don't have XLR connectors on your headphones? Do you use some kind of adapter? 

 


Edited by bareyb - 3/6/13 at 2:37pm
post #978 of 3090

Reterminate your headphone to XLR. Bad things will happen if you use TRS -> XLR Adapter and your amp doesn't have a common ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post

 

 

Well. You are both faster than me. I was just coming to post a link: http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=104 tongue.gif

 

So. What happens if you don't have XLR connectors on your headphones? Do you use some kind of adapter? 

 

 

post #979 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cante Ista View Post


Thanks. I think that F3 is a very nice amp, and the bonus is that you can also use it to drive other phones. I drive the HD800 off it and really like that paring as well. I would consider the F1J. I have not heard it, but Preproman swears by it. That one is more of a current (rather than voltage amp) which, from what I understand, is good to have with the HE6. Still, the F3 is a very nice amp and I am also thinking of getting some nice efficient speakers to pair with it, when I move out of the city into a bigger place where I can have my man-cave. biggrin.gif

Just move to Gaithersburg or Germantown (I lived in Gaithersburg for a year before moving back to the West Coast). There's enough silence out where you can really enjoy things outside of DC. ;)

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=104

 

 

Thanks! Was looking for something that would make it easy to connect the HE-6s to speakers rather than have direct cables from the headphones to it.

post #980 of 3090

I'm sure this question has been asked before.  

 

Does anyone have any experience with Class-D ICEpower amplifier Technology amps?

post #981 of 3090

I have used the W4S Class D ICE Power STI-500 with the HE-6, and it sounds fantastic.  It is 250 WPC into 8 Ohms, I have used it with both the HE adaptor as well as directly to the speaker tap.  It really has to be cranked up quite high, but the sound is very full bodied and detailed with good bass and dynamic range. Overall, it sounds great.  I have not compared it to something like a First Watt or other low power Class A biased/Pure Class A amp, so can't comment on that.  It definitely drives it well though.  I have to say compared to my Hypex NCore class D, it is very, very similar with the edge going to the Hypex.  That may not be a fair comparison though because the Hypex is fed by a $10K BAT tube pre-amp. 

post #982 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senn-Fi View Post

I have used the W4S Class D ICE Power STI-500 with the HE-6, and it sounds fantastic.  It is 250 WPC into 8 Ohms, I have used it with both the HE adaptor as well as directly to the speaker tap.  It really has to be cranked up quite high, but the sound is very full bodied and detailed with good bass and dynamic range. Overall, it sounds great.  I have not compared it to something like a First Watt or other low power Class A biased/Pure Class A amp, so can't comment on that.  It definitely drives it well though.  I have to say compared to my Hypex NCore class D, it is very, very similar with the edge going to the Hypex.  That may not be a fair comparison though because the Hypex is fed by a $10K BAT tube pre-amp. 

 

 

So what you mean you have to crank it up quite high.  Like the has a low gain?  Or you don't think it has enough juice?

post #983 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post

Any positives with SET amps like the 300B BA, the TTVJ 37A, The Pinnacle, the WA5, with w.out preampetc?   From reading the reviews it sounds like the only tube amp to satisfy were McIntosh P-P.   I am surprised no hum issues with McIntosh, very surprised as it has AC heat.

 

But there is good news for those without $3k for a McIntosh there is a modern DIY kit that et raves reviews for those who can't affor the brit amp: http://www.tubes4hifi.com/bob.htm#ST120

,  I've heard nothing but good things about these modern McIntosh type amps much better quality than the Yaquin's people are buying.

 

But I'm of the opinion if I have to resort to P-P I will use solid state output,  and the Lyr is a real bargain here.

 

So back to the original question,  any chance of an SET powering the HE-6's or should I stick with the HE-500's(which are fantastic) and wait for the next Hifiman flags\ship?

 

I am using a 300b set built by local dealer and it is  fine for jazz and classical that I listen to.   I may try something with more power at some point  but really it is just curiosity.  

post #984 of 3090

I am getting a Unison Research Simply Two speaker amplifier to audition with the HE-6. 

 

I'm not very familiar with the impedance matching concept as this is my first speaker amplifier. Could anyone please tell me how much power I would be able to run through my HE-6, considering that the maximum output power is rated at 12W RMS per channel, and that the amplifier has two pairs of outputs, one 4 ohms and the other 8 ohms?

 

I ordered the HiFiMAN HE-adapter in case that's necessary. I also have HD800 I would like to test out with the Unison. Would that be any good?

 

Thanks for the help!

post #985 of 3090
The simply two might not have sufficient juice to power the cans as the resistor box will absorb power and all you have left is probably around 10% of output power or 1.2w... Do correct me if I'm wrong here. And its not wise to drive the cans directly to the speaker taps of a full tube amp due to the impedance mismatch.
post #986 of 3090
The size of amp is dependent on the design. The Nelson Pass amps have two different (more really but keeping it simple) designs for different loads. One is a voltage gain device and the other is a current device. The 10 watt F1 is miles more effective than say a regular 100 watt speaker amp with the 6s. I'm going to make a semi experienced guess to say 60-80 watts @ 8 ohms is about the most you'd want to put on them safely. There have been guys trying them on a 500w amp but you have to be very sure of your volume controls for something crazy like that. I recently blew my 6s when I pushed the wrong button on a new DAC and put the full 2v signal to a pair of 125w monoblocks that were set up for auto sense to come on. Living on the edge means sometimes experiencing the other side to know where it is. redface.gif Not recommended for public consumption.
post #987 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin6264 View Post

I am getting a Unison Research Simply Two speaker amplifier to audition with the HE-6. 

I'm not very familiar with the impedance matching concept as this is my first speaker amplifier. Could anyone please tell me how much power I would be able to run through my HE-6, considering that the maximum output power is rated at 12W RMS per channel, and that the amplifier has two pairs of outputs, one 4 ohms and the other 8 ohms?

I ordered the HiFiMAN HE-adapter in case that's necessary. I also have HD800 I would like to test out with the Unison. Would that be any good?

Thanks for the help!

Sort of related and do not mean to get off topic. Has anyone taken apart the he adapter to see if it could be upgraded with better resistors? I am not dyi but was thinking of asking place where I bought lots of stuff to look at that. Any advice would be welcome. On the hd 800 question there is a recent post in the thread on using speak amps .

Gary
post #988 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjc11028 View Post


Sort of related and do not mean to get off topic. Has anyone taken apart the he adapter to see if it could be upgraded with better resistors? I am not dyi but was thinking of asking place where I bought lots of stuff to look at that. Any advice would be welcome. On the hd 800 question there is a recent post in the thread on using speak amps .

Gary


The resistors can be upgraded. The adapter is just a resistor network put in a (not so) pretty box afterall

 

 

post #989 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post


The resistors can be upgraded. The adapter is just a resistor network put in a (not so) pretty box afterall

 

 

Can anyone recommend any quality resistors to upgrade the HE6?

post #990 of 3090
Mills resistors 10 ohm, 10 watt
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones