Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones - Page 62

post #916 of 3519
Quote:
Originally Posted by figaro69 View Post

obsessive
so it sounds like the HE-6 induces a bad case of the hiccups in the cavalli...another case of this headphone performing voodoo magic on an amp. By the way...I've read that cavalli amps rule, be the way. What other headphone, if any, are you running through the LG? Hd800 must sound awesome through it.

 

To be fair to the LG, it's only tripped the protection twice with the HE-6, and I think it could be the particular tubes I was using.  As far as the Cavalli LG is concerned, it's absolutely stunning with the HD800, but I don't own them (yet).  I'm running the HE-6, LCD-3, HD650, and Mr Speakers Mad Dogs.  I'm probably going to give up the HE-6 and LCD-3 to fund the HD800.  

post #917 of 3519
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzerdave View Post

To be fair to the LG, it's only tripped the protection twice with the HE-6, and I think it could be the particular tubes I was using.  As far as the Cavalli LG is concerned, it's absolutely stunning with the HD800, but I don't own them (yet).  I'm running the HE-6, LCD-3, HD650, and Mr Speakers Mad Dogs.  I'm probably going to give up the HE-6 and LCD-3 to fund the HD800.  
cavalli LG, HD800, and mullard Nos tubes...you'll think you died and went to heaven. Mullards sound so smooth...THE Tube for the Senns.
post #918 of 3519
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzerdave View Post

To be fair to the LG, it's only tripped the protection twice with the HE-6, and I think it could be the particular tubes I was using.  As far as the Cavalli LG is concerned, it's absolutely stunning with the HD800, but I don't own them (yet).  I'm running the HE-6, LCD-3, HD650, and Mr Speakers Mad Dogs.  I'm probably going to give up the HE-6 and LCD-3 to fund the HD800.  
cavalli LG, HD800, and mullard Nos tubes...you'll think you died and went to heaven. Mullards sound so smooth...THE Tube for the Senns.
post #919 of 3519
Are you using the stock tubes?
post #920 of 3519
Quote:
Originally Posted by figaro69 View Post

Are you using the stock tubes?

 

No, I've been using all sorts of different tubes.  I'll try to leave the list for you later when I have more time (leaving to take my mom out for her birthday dinner).

post #921 of 3519
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzerdave View Post

No, I've been using all sorts of different tubes.  I'll try to leave the list for you later when I have more time (leaving to take my mom out for her birthday dinner).
now, that's a nice boy...enjoy.
post #922 of 3519
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzerdave View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by figaro69 View Post

obsessive
so it sounds like the HE-6 induces a bad case of the hiccups in the cavalli...another case of this headphone performing voodoo magic on an amp. By the way...I've read that cavalli amps rule, be the way. What other headphone, if any, are you running through the LG? Hd800 must sound awesome through it.

 

To be fair to the LG, it's only tripped the protection twice with the HE-6, and I think it could be the particular tubes I was using.  As far as the Cavalli LG is concerned, it's absolutely stunning with the HD800, but I don't own them (yet).  I'm running the HE-6, LCD-3, HD650, and Mr Speakers Mad Dogs.  I'm probably going to give up the HE-6 and LCD-3 to fund the HD800.  

 

I could be in the market for a Pre-Owned HE-6 around the month of May. Will monitor the night skies to see how my stars are doing.

 

Post Script.:  That's special...enjoy your mom!


Edited by Silent One - 2/20/13 at 7:22pm
post #923 of 3519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

I could be in the market for a Pre-Owned HE-6 around the month of May. Will monitor the night skies to see how my stars are doing.

Post Script.:  That's special...enjoy your mom!
what would you drive them with? Learn from my mistakes...get a speaker amp a la first watt J2 and avoid wild goose chase I've been involved in for the past year.
post #924 of 3519
Quote:
Originally Posted by figaro69 View Post


what would you drive them with? Learn from my mistakes...get a speaker amp a la first watt J2 and avoid wild goose chase I've been involved in for the past year.

X2.

I'm using the Manley Stingray with great success. Replaced the stock tubes with Seimens 12AT7s &  Mullard EL84s 

The tubes themselves cost me more than the Mjolnir but absolutely no regrets whatsoever.

post #925 of 3519
My new amp smily_headphones1.gif


And for the best pairing
post #926 of 3519
Quote:
Originally Posted by figaro69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

I could be in the market for a Pre-Owned HE-6 around the month of May. Will monitor the night skies to see how my stars are doing.

Post Script.:  That's special...enjoy your mom!
what would you drive them with? Learn from my mistakes...get a speaker amp a la first watt J2 and avoid wild goose chase I've been involved in for the past year.

 

I've already had the HE-6 on loan (twice). Used it with my vintage Pioneer 1980 SX-D7000, no problem. I will be getting another powerful amp this summer (new and/or vintage). The current iron gives me options.

post #927 of 3519
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post

My new amp smily_headphones1.gif


And for the best pairing
 

 

Oh tongue_smile.gif my! Thanks for letting us share in your joy...

 

Who makes the headphone adapter? My first Mcintosh experience was a pair of mono MC275's pushing (I know, I know...rolleyes.gif) an efficient pair of big Klipschorn speakers. I loved it!


Edited by Silent One - 2/20/13 at 8:30pm
post #928 of 3519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

 

Oh tongue_smile.gif my! Thanks for letting us share in your joy...

The best pairing is the HE-6! The HD800 sound fantastic too though, brings in a bit more meat and expands the staging a lot more than the mjolnir

post #929 of 3519
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

 

Oh tongue_smile.gif my! Thanks for letting us share in your joy...

The best pairing is the HE-6! The HD800 sound fantastic too though, brings in a bit more meat and expands the staging a lot more than the mjolnir

Is that box the headphone adapter for the HE-6? Or something else? And how do you mate the Senns to the Mc?

post #930 of 3519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

Is that box the headphone adapter for the HE-6? Or something else? And how do you mate the Senns to the Mc?

Yup, that's the HiFiMAN adaptor, and I can plug the HD800's in it as well. I have a tiny tiny noise floor with the HD800 but it's actually not bad at all; I was expecting worse. I can sort it out with noise dampers and whatnot.

 

I have to be careful with the volume knob and the HD800 though!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones