- 57 Posts. Joined 8/2011
- Location: Beijing China
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMB Labs Beta22tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productAudio-gd FUN Basic DAC / Headphone Amptagged by System, 12/23/10
- productAudio-gd NFB-10tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productBottlehead Crack OTLtagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 12/23/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 12/23/10
- productMusical Fidelity X-Can v3tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productRSA Hornettagged by System, 6/20/12
- brandSugdentagged by System, 6/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 11/14/14 at 4:34pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Advice on down-sizing Last post on 9/19/12 at 7:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Looking at the picture of the PK3's I wasn't expecting much. They look and feel cheap using a generic case for the drivers. First I tried them without the foam covers and they sounded awful. I...
Disclaimer First of all, I would like to thank Audrey and the Brainwavz team for allowing me to review their S1 IEMs. I would also like to clarify that I am neither an affiliate of Brainwavz...
Overview The Alien is a well-priced (~$250 AUD), compact, screenless player that plays only WAV and FLAC files – no MP3, no AAC, just the two major lossless options. For some people that will...
Shure SRH840, are a value filled set of extraordinary headphones, worth every single coin you spend on it. The bass register is perfect for any genre of song you play through you...
I got the Sennheiser HD-598 based on all the existing rave reviews. It's amazingly comfortable. That's all the good I can say about it. I just hate the sound. Okay, I am no "audiophile". I am...
Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones - Page 54post #796 of 353412/9/12 at 3:11amGood ! You got my point
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #797 of 353412/9/12 at 3:37am
Yeah, i found it and likely to stick by it for a long while..just enjoying my music and looking at expanding my record collection instead
The amp is rated circa 185W @ 8 ohms, which i presume to come from the speaker taps. As to the headphone jack, best check with Skylab - he be the Yoda of all things vintage here I just tried it via the speaker taps with the HE adaptor in place - lovely, more noticeable body, dynamics and slam. These cans with this amp is great for metal! Not sure if it suits audiophile recordings but these ears have been ravaged by metal since i can remember so I'm more than happy with the combo and the genre of music i primarily listen to.post #798 of 353412/9/12 at 4:00amGreat for metal? Hell yeah！\m/
I am MeTaL fans too
BUT I think playback well metal music not only needs dynamics and slam
It needs high resolution , smooth and stability also
so that you could really taste metal and feel the soul of it
IMO, playback metal is harder than classicalpost #799 of 353412/9/12 at 5:51am
Hahahaha...my ears are not so refined and I'm used to all sorts of underground metal music with crappy recording so if it has slam and speed and makes me feel darkness in my soul, that's good enough for mepost #800 of 353412/9/12 at 1:27pm
Just checked again Burson Soloist versus Audio-gd Master-6 amp with the HE-6.
In terms of bass impact, power, tightness and punch, I still don't think there is any difference between the two. If there is, it is very subtle.
However, there is a difference in terms of the mids: The Master-6 has both a slightly warmer AND better resolved midrange. This could be the difference between the balanced connection with a warm sounding XLR cable versus the single ended connection to the Soloist, having a somewhat lean sounding RCA cable. This difference between my two cables are known to me before, and at this point I attribute the sonic difference to the connections of the amps.
In my book - the Burson Soloist has NO trouble driving the HE-6 to at least relatively loud levels. It won't drive it to crazy loud levels though. At the end of the day: Will I keep it? Yes - but no. Yes, because I really like it. No, because I want the Burson Conductor, which is a Soloist amp plus a DAC in one box.post #801 of 353412/11/12 at 6:40amSpeaker out sound stronger, smoother and altogether fuller-bodied. Headphone out was grainier and less clarity in terms of instrument separation. Can anyone suggest a modern amp able to drive the 6 to similar levels? Looking for a back up in case the vintage fails....post #802 of 353412/11/12 at 3:36pmQuote:
+1 on the modern amp. And perhaps within the same price range or at least within +$1000.
Edited by Cante Ista - 12/11/12 at 3:38pmpost #803 of 353412/12/12 at 9:23pmpost #804 of 353412/13/12 at 12:11pmpost #805 of 353412/14/12 at 1:57ampost #806 of 353412/14/12 at 9:02ampost #807 of 353412/14/12 at 9:23am
$20 can net you a receiver from a flea market or pawn shop. Tap the wires directly to the speaker outputs.post #808 of 353412/14/12 at 10:08amA lot are using vintage 2 ch. receivers/integrated/amps in the 50-100 up to 200w range such as Pioneer, Sansui, Marantz, Rotel, NAD, Onkyo, etc.
Some are using the Emotiva & Virtue amps for value, some more hi end amps like BAT, AR, Simaudio, etcpost #809 of 353412/14/12 at 10:25ampost #810 of 353412/14/12 at 10:48amQuote:
I am really impressed by my t-amp Topping TP-60, detailed and great frequency extension.
- Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › The discovery thread.! NEW DannyBai's take on the new Yamaha EPH... 17 seconds ago
- › Synergistic Research HOT device 59 seconds ago
- › Best Soundstage in an IEM?... 1 minute ago
- › JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV 2 minutes ago
- › Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable 3 minutes ago
- › HD600 vs DT990 Pro 4 minutes ago
- › VSONIC GR07 Impressions & Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for... 5 minutes ago
- › Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Impressions thread 5 minutes ago
- › Cowon Plenue P1 6 minutes ago
- › YUIN PK3 Earbuds by thebluebulk
- › Brainwavz S1 by thatBeatsguy
- › SHOZY Alien DAP by Loquah
- › Shure SRH840 by SoundScout
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by MyFamilyShoppin
- › Lehmann Rhinelander by jdpark
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by kigisaru
- › AWEI ES-Q9 Super Bass Wooden Earphones Headphones Headsets Fiber... by Mellowship
- › Koss Pro4S Full Size Studio Headphones, Black with Silver Trim by Zombie_X
- › Shure SRH1540 Headphones by nicholars
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)