Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones - Page 49

post #721 of 2732
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gneiss View Post

Just went through this entire thread without seeing mention of the Burson Soloist. Do HE-6 owners have any input on whether or not the Burson Soloist does the HE-6 justice? 

Doesn't do it complete justice, but pretty decent for a headphone amplifier. Probably one of the best I've heard the HE-6 from a headphone amp overall.

Surprising, as the stated specs are "Output power: 4W at 16 Ohms". That's less than 1.5W at 50 ohms, when the consensus minimum seems to be more like 5 watts (EF5, Darkstar, Mjolnir). I'm sure it's a fine headamp, but $1000 can go quite a bit further if you're looking at powering an HE6 exclusively. OTOH your impressions are helpful if one wants to add an HE6 to the Soloist stable, so to speak. It sounds like the Soloist and the HE6 have exceptional synergy in other areas. But I think an HE500 would match up much better with it.

edit: Big day for the Bruins tomorrow!
popcorn.gif
Edited by grokit - 11/17/12 at 2:20am
post #722 of 2732
Quote:
Originally Posted by punks15 View Post

Any impressions on ALO RX MKIII-B? Some said it have a good synergy with HE6

Have you seen this review?

 

http://www.headfonia.com/the-power-pack-alo-rx-mk3-b/

post #723 of 2732
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post


Surprising, as the stated specs are "Output power: 4W at 16 Ohms". That's less than 1.5W at 50 ohms, when the consensus minimum seems to be more like 5 watts (EF5, Darkstar, Mjolnir). I'm sure it's a fine headamp, but $1000 can go quite a bit further if you're looking at powering an HE6 exclusively. OTOH your impressions are helpful if one wants to add an HE6 to the Soloist stable, so to speak. It sounds like the Soloist and the HE6 have exceptional synergy in other areas. But I think an HE500 would match up much better with it.
edit: Big day for the Bruins tomorrow!
popcorn.gif

 

 

I mean, if you've got the HE-6 and a Burson you can give it a listen and it won't sound bad. I would definitely agree if you're looking for an amp for the HE-6 there's a lot better options around. 

 

We will see how this game goes :)  I have to admit I'm a little hopeful. Of course, I was a little hopeful last year too, so I hope I don't get as let down.

post #724 of 2732
The Burson Soloist wasn't an ideal match for the HE-6, at all. I loved the Soloist with the LCD-3, but it will only deliver 108dB max with the HE-6, and that's not enough for unclipped peaks on large-scale classical music. Also, the Soloist is not at all warm sounding, and I thought the HE-6 sounded a bit bright and thin when used with it.

Again, loved the Soloist with the Audeze, and it might be wonderful with the HE-500, but it's not the amp for the HE-6.
post #725 of 2732
But wait!! Over at headfonia, they say its the "best" amp for the he 6. And it even surpasses the darkstar lol. Well I stop putting any stock in their reviews a long time ago. Sometimes they will even tell you to take this review with a grain of salt because the product is from a sponsor. At least their being honest about bias reviews(sometimes).
post #726 of 2732

Thanks for the opinions. I already upgraded to a Soloist and was more wondering what headphones to upgrade to as my current all around headphone is the HD 598; I might be doing things backwards. 

 

I am saddened to hear that Headfonia is not well respected. I admit I read things on that site quite a bit. Is it mostly the fact that he does not like the O2, or have there been a number of reviews that the community dissagrees with?

post #727 of 2732
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyrn View Post

But wait!! Over at headfonia, they say its the "best" amp for the he 6. And it even surpasses the darkstar lol.

Hahaha!
biggrin.gif


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gneiss View Post

Thanks for the opinions. I already upgraded to a Soloist and was more wondering what headphones to upgrade to as my current all around headphone is the HD 598; I might be doing things backwards. 

Again I would encourage you to look at the HE500, it's a much better match for the Soloist and much less expensive. It will sound better through the Soloist than the HE6.
post #728 of 2732
Well I can only speak for myself. For me it's not so much of disagreeing with their impressions(which I do a lot anyway). It's there have been reviews of them giving high praise to a product from a sponsor and telling you that it's bias because of that. And them saying a product is great and later on saying the same product is not so great. But in fairness a lot of sites and publications are guilty of the same thing which is why they get ripped as well(6 moons for example). Guess I was hoping they would be different. There are some review sites I do like, but headfonia isn't one of them. But that shouldn't stop anyone else from loving them though. It just my own personal preference.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gneiss View Post

Thanks for the opinions. I already upgraded to a Soloist and was more wondering what headphones to upgrade to as my current all around headphone is the HD 598; I might be doing things backwards. 

I am saddened to hear that Headfonia is not well respected. I admit I read things on that site quite a bit. Is it mostly the fact that he does not like the O2, or have there been a number of reviews that the community dissagrees with?




But as Grokit said, it should be a great amp for the 500s. Everything I read about it has been positive. But just doesn't have the juice for an he6.
Edited by moodyrn - 11/17/12 at 10:55am
post #729 of 2732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

The Burson Soloist wasn't an ideal match for the HE-6, at all. I loved the Soloist with the LCD-3, but it will only deliver 108dB max with the HE-6, and that's not enough for unclipped peaks on large-scale classical music. Also, the Soloist is not at all warm sounding, and I thought the HE-6 sounded a bit bright and thin when used with it.
Again, loved the Soloist with the Audeze, and it might be wonderful with the HE-500, but it's not the amp for the HE-6.

 

Right, like I said, not ideal

post #730 of 2732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gneiss View Post

Thanks for the opinions. I already upgraded to a Soloist and was more wondering what headphones to upgrade to as my current all around headphone is the HD 598; I might be doing things backwards. 

I am saddened to hear that Headfonia is not well respected. I admit I read things on that site quite a bit. Is it mostly the fact that he does not like the O2, or have there been a number of reviews that the community dissagrees with?
I stopped checking headfonia after the HD700 review... It was all over the place and his descriptions did not make much sense to anyone in regards to how the phones sound and perform
post #731 of 2732

OK HE6 needs quality powerful amp. I see most of you using speaker amps in A class. Why? Is it here anybody (constructers for example) who could answer me, does matter if the amp for HE6 is A class or AB class or very open AB class etc etc..or it does not matter? Thanks 

 

edit: nobody know probably bigsmile_face.gif


Edited by knopi - 11/19/12 at 1:15pm
post #732 of 2732

Nobody tried HE6 with quality AB class speaker amp? Most AB class amps run a few Watts (around 8W per chanel) at begining all in class A into 50 Ohm..so results-power could be the same as clear A class amps.


Edited by knopi - 11/23/12 at 7:09am
post #733 of 2732
I use the HE-6 with a class AB speaker amp all the time. That's what pretty much all vintage amps/receivers are.
post #734 of 2732
Quote:
Originally Posted by knopi View Post

Nobody tried HE6 with quality AB class speaker amp? Most AB class amps run a few Watts (around 8W per chanel) at begining all in class A into 50 Ohm..so results-power could be the same as clear A class amps.

 

 

A few watts into class A = more like the first 1 or 2..  That's what I've seen.

post #735 of 2732

The Amp "I have interest" (so I asked manufacture about info) and it run 8W all in class A per chanel into 50 Ohm. And it is very open AB class speaker amp. Other AB class speaker amps will work a little different sure..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones