- 21,389 Posts. Joined 4/2005
- Location: Chicagoland
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMB Labs Beta22tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productAudio-gd FUN Basic DAC / Headphone Amptagged by System, 12/23/10
- productAudio-gd NFB-10tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productBottlehead Crack OTLtagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 12/23/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 12/23/10
- productMusical Fidelity X-Can v3tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productRSA Hornettagged by System, 6/20/12
- brandSugdentagged by System, 6/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 5/24/14 at 11:55am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Advice on down-sizing Last post on 9/19/12 at 7:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Excelllent headphones, coming after ss 9h headset, senn's 429 558 598 and i love these most, i differentiate details better in vocals now, i can say if vocalist is blowing into microphone while...
published on September 22, 2014 (click any photo in this review for a larger version) Intro I first heard about Garage1217's Project Polaris (just "Polaris" from here on out, for the...
Please disregard the sliders on the left hand side, as they are broken. Prefatory Notes: I purchased this product and am therefore not immune to the negative effects of buyer’s remorse...
I bought my RP3 for my headphone set up to enter in the world of vinyl and what a buy! Overall the rega is a very sensitive Turntable however, it awes me everytime I plug it in a play.
I have owned the WA2 for about a year now. I typically listen to Alternative Rock, occasional Rap and some Blues. I am using a Arcam rDac with it and I also have a Rega RP-3 and a Project Phono...
Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones - Page 45post #661 of 323011/8/12 at 2:07pmMy objection is simply to what seems to be the creeping sentiment that Class A is some sort of panacea, which it isn't.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #662 of 323011/8/12 at 5:43pmI've only heard the F1 for a few minutes but I didn't notice anything unusual in it's sound that we don't hear on the A/B amps. But some comparisons would be nice. I'm being told a MacIntosh will be a treat the next time in town. I know Wuwhere is well satisfied with his tube amps.
Calling Dr. Roberts- any thoughts on your BAT tube amp?post #663 of 323011/10/12 at 6:06pmpost #664 of 323011/11/12 at 12:41amAsked this question a few days ago but didn't get a response. Trying again. What do people think of NAD 3030 derivative amps (newer model being C356BEE for example) + the HE-6?
I'm not sure how to do the ohm calculation myself, but from what I'm reading here it says the C356BEE puts out 80W x 2, into either 4 or 8 ohms. (Interestingly rated the same across either 4 or 8) How many W is that into the H-6? Has anyone had the experience of hearing the HE-6 from either the original 3030 from 1979 or its progeny? Thanks!post #665 of 323011/11/12 at 7:43amQuote:As I recall, there were a few using a NAD but not sure of model. Rule of thumb is you half the wattage for doubling the impedance. Type in NAD in the search function of the HE threads and see what comes up. I would think it would be good as NAD has pretty solid amps. I'd say the power is plenty.Originally Posted by dmcs414
Asked this question a few days ago but didn't get a response. Trying again. What do people think of NAD 3030 derivative amps (newer model being C356BEE for example) + the HE-6?
I'm not sure how to do the ohm calculation myself, but from what I'm reading here it says the C356BEE puts out 80W x 2, into either 4 or 8 ohms. (Interestingly rated the same across either 4 or 8) How many W is that into the H-6? Has anyone had the experience of hearing the HE-6 from either the original 3030 from 1979 or its progeny? Thanks!
Edited by Happy Camper - 11/11/12 at 7:45ampost #666 of 323011/13/12 at 1:55am
Oh dear. Just got my HE-6 and I don't have anything (even remotely) up to the task of driving it.
Are there any USB DAC/amps that can power the HE-6 well? Would like a single solution if possible, no particular budget limitation. Anything like that out there?post #667 of 323011/13/12 at 2:26amQuote:
Well, maybe a Peachtree Decco driving the HE-6 via the speaker outputs? It has 50 watts of power which into 50 ohm headphones would be closer to 8 watts, and has USB/Optical/Coax inputs. I've only heard one driving some Moth Audio Cicada speakers, and it was pretty decent.post #668 of 323011/13/12 at 2:34amQuote:
Some of the older 2 channel receivers may be a good idea.
I have a 5 channel Denon AVR 2310Ci that I don't use anymore. I haven't tried it with the 6s yet.post #669 of 323011/13/12 at 4:06am
Thanks for the suggestions guys!
As I keep looking I realise I am actually OK with separate DAC and amp, but ideally two that are easily integrated - the Schiit Mjolnir and Gungnir being an example of something like that. I see a few mentions of them here in relation to the HE-6, but haven't yet come across any really indepth reviews (it looks like it meets the power requirements into 50ohms though). Anyone able to weigh in on those and the HE-6, or alternatives?
Edited by NZtechfreak - 11/13/12 at 4:07ampost #670 of 323011/13/12 at 6:45ampost #671 of 323011/13/12 at 7:06amQuote:
Give some example of speaker amps (names) IYO thought the MoJo was better.post #672 of 323011/13/12 at 8:29ampost #673 of 323011/13/12 at 9:09ampost #674 of 323011/13/12 at 9:49am
- Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › FiiO E12 or E17? 4 seconds ago
- › New Bryston BDA-2 DAC Impressions Thread 15 seconds ago
- › HD 598 Replacement 42 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Recommendations for portables <$400 3 minutes ago
- › Selling my much loved NWZ-Z1060 32GB MP3 Player 4 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › Can you decide an IEM just based on specs? 5 minutes ago
- › AKG K 550 by Ufasas
- › Garage1217 Project Polaris by Asr
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by dbdchc
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by razor5cl
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Armaegis
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)