or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones - Page 264

post #3946 of 4878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post

Glory days revisited. Got the ML/Velodyne HT rig back up and singing. Took the time to cal. the room. Forgot how music lives in the lows. HPs are another tool in the audio bag. Specific listening and environmental controls in particular. But once outside of the headband, speakers.
Absolutely right. But of course headphone money is chump change compared to speaker money.
post #3947 of 4878
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjc11028 View Post

Absolutely right. But of course headphone money is chump change compared to speaker money.
Am sorry..but did u see the prices of some high end headphones or certain high end amps? 10.000euro is already a price mentioned for a few custom amps made for headphones wink.gif
post #3948 of 4878
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjc11028 View Post


Absolutely right. But of course headphone money is chump change compared to speaker money.

 

 

Yes, even the Abyss and a great amp can cost less than great speakers stuff. However, the headphone realm is getting dangerously close to what GREAT speakers and GREAT speaker amps cost used - and for sure there are more amazing legacy and second hand speaker products out there to be had than comparative headphones stuff. That is really where it gets quite unfavourably close for super expensive headphone products.

 

Fortunately the HE-6 is not one of those. And it works fantastic well with good speaker amps. Obviously the speaker amp will be at least as awesome on its main intended purpose.

 

People have long complained about the demands of the HE-6s. I think the irony is, if one loves speakers, the HE-6s could be the cheapest to amplify at their best headphones out there.


Edited by negura - 3/19/15 at 5:03pm
post #3949 of 4878
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post

Am sorry..but did u see the prices of some high end headphones or certain high end amps? 10.000euro is already a price mentioned for a few custom amps made for headphones wink.gif

Yeah, but that is hardly high end on the speaker side. Hell the speaker amp that your headphone amp is based on is $20k and a pre that does justice to it might be another 10.
post #3950 of 4878
Point of comments is speaker gear works just fine for headphones. Buying mini amps for headphones is a racket. Got to admit it's all perfectly legal.
post #3951 of 4878

Guys, how about starting a thread titled " Synergistic pre-amps for stereo amps that can drive the Hifiman HE-6"? Now that I have the ML 532H, sure enough I'm scouting for a "better" pre-amp. I have the Parasound P3 for now but.... you know how it goes :biggrin:

post #3952 of 4878
Quote:
Originally Posted by negura View Post
 

 

 

Yes, even the Abyss and a great amp can cost less than great speakers stuff. However, the headphone realm is getting dangerously close to what GREAT speakers and GREAT speaker amps cost used - and for sure there are more amazing legacy and second hand speaker products out there to be had than comparative headphones stuff. That is really where it gets quite unfavourably close for super expensive headphone products.

 

Fortunately the HE-6 is not one of those. And it works fantastic well with good speaker amps. Obviously the speaker amp will be at least as awesome on its main intended purpose.

 

People have long complained about the demands of the HE-6s. I think the irony is, if one loves speakers, the HE-6s could be the cheapest to amplify at their best headphones out there.


I`ve always been a speakers guy, with headphones just for certain occasions.  Started out with pretty serious JBL monitors, now a more serious 2.1 system by Fostex.  Had the HD800 for a little over a year and found a phone I enjoyed as much as speakers, but in a different way.  

 

A couple of months in to my modded HE-6, and I have to admit for pure musical enjoyment, I enjoy these headphones more than my speaker system.  

 

Truly remarkable.  The cost ration of my speaker system to my HE-6 is exactly 10:1.  And the speakers weigh 56kg each. 

post #3953 of 4878

Got back a few hours ago, I'll post some impressions up later today or tomorrow. Don't hold your breath though I wasn't able to try out as many set-ups as I would have liked... The guy with the most promising gear just didn't want to do it with speaker amps - if I'd had more technical knowledge it might have been a different story but I was basically restricted to "it's ok really! The people on the internet said so!" :p 

 

Just a small preview, this is the amp that impressed me the most by far:

 

http://www.anthemav.com/products-current/model=i225/page=overview


Edited by NoxNoctum - 3/21/15 at 10:50pm
post #3954 of 4878

:( I long to hear speakers but temporarily do not have a place for them or the system. And so the rig sits in storage.

post #3955 of 4878
Got a pair of Hifiman HE-6 coming in about a week.
I don't think my HeadAmp GS-1 will be able to drive them well.
I also have a Gustard H10, a Harman Kardon HK 3490 120 w/channel receiver, and a Parasound HCA-3500, dual mono, 350 w/channel amp. The Parasound would be overkill, I know.
But between using the Gustard H10, or using the speaker outputs on my Harman Kardon HK 3490 receiver using a HifiMan HE adapter box, which would you all most recommend to drive the HE-6 for best sonics?
Thanks!
Edited by daltonlanny - 3/23/15 at 8:06am
post #3956 of 4878

The Parasound HCA-3500, dual mono, 350 w/channel amp.  :biggrin:

post #3957 of 4878
Yeah tongue.gif
post #3958 of 4878
Are there any companies or individuals who makes and sells a XLR to speaker tap cable that can be used to drive the HE-6 straight from speaker taps without an adapter box?
If so, where can I buy one?
Thanks
post #3959 of 4878

Show these guys this picture:  http://www.btg-audio.com

 

post #3960 of 4878
Thanks preproman for the info.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones