or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones - Page 185

post #2761 of 4872
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post

Apologies for cross-post with the HE-6 thread, but excited to share this:

I just borrowed a Taurus Pre and Merak monoblocks to run my HE-6 off for the NZ headphone meet tomorrow, will post thoughts when I have more time with them!

Now THAT sounds interesting!! Looking forward to your thoughts, man!!
post #2762 of 4872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theogenes View Post


Now THAT sounds interesting!! Looking forward to your thoughts, man!!

 

Quite late at night here but installing Vega drivers to the laptop I'll take tomorrow to make sure the rig is as bulletproof as I can have it...

 

Maaaan, I'm enjoying this sound. I love the HE-6 straight off the Taurus MKII, it's good enough that I never feel like I'm missing anything, but then I listen off a good stereo amp and I'm like WOW. The extra weight and texture in the bass is so apparent, drums just sound so right with this headphone well driven.

post #2763 of 4872
Sounds like somebody is about to pick up a speaker amp for his HE-6 wink.gif
post #2764 of 4872
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post

Quite late at night here but installing Vega drivers to the laptop I'll take tomorrow to make sure the rig is as bulletproof as I can have it...

Maaaan, I'm enjoying this sound. I love the HE-6 straight off the Taurus MKII, it's good enough that I never feel like I'm missing anything, but then I listen off a good stereo amp and I'm like WOW. The extra weight and texture in the bass is so apparent, drums just sound so right with this headphone well driven.
Listen more carefully and you'll notice the huge difference in imaging and separation.
post #2765 of 4872
Always enjoy the discovery of new fans when they hear what those of us have found with speaker amps. tongue.gif
post #2766 of 4872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post

Always enjoy the discovery of new fans when they hear what those of us have found with speaker amps. tongue.gif

Oh I already knew, you'll see my posts about trying a Luxman integrated amp earlier in various threads, I'm just taking my time settling on a speaker amp in my personal rig is all. It's just nice to be reacquainted with the 6 sound when it's connected to overkill smily_headphones1.gif
post #2767 of 4872
Two questions:

I am not wowed by the he-500 and don't think they're worth putting up with their tiring weight. Are the he-6 that much better? (Assuming they're properly driven)

I have a pair of 8w tube monoblocks that I used to drive my K1000. I'm building a robinette box to help with the impedance matching And attenuation. This should be enough power for the he-6 right?
post #2768 of 4872

It depends. 8W in what load? If it's rated at 8 ohm, it's not sufficient!

post #2769 of 4872
Quote:
Originally Posted by StryGR View Post

It depends. 8W in what load? If it's rated at 8 ohm, it's not sufficient!
Yeah, I think it's 8w into 8ohms. Gonna play around with it first with the he-500...
post #2770 of 4872

How did it sound driving the K1000?

post #2771 of 4872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post
 

How did it sound driving the K1000?

i think it was perfectly fine with the k1000 from what i can remember (i sold it around 5 years ago)...i ended up driving the k1000 with the RWA signature 30, which was fantastic. 

post #2772 of 4872
Just to report back about the meet experience - the HE-6 made a lot of new friends smily_headphones1.gif

The HE-6 sounded good with the Meraks, no doubt, but I do think I preferred the Luxman I'd auditioned earlier. They were a bit brighter on the Meraks... Interesting feedback overall, the metal fans pretty well unanimously felt it was the best headphone there, which doesn't come as a surprise to me. Several remarked that it's reputation for brightness was thoroughly undeserved, and a few found it too bright for their liking also. Just goes to show how we all hear differently, but we'll see what the brightness sensitive folks think next year when I've settled on a more optimal amp pairing.

Next year I really must trim Metallica from my collection for the meet, their albums are fairly terribly mastered (I rarely listen to them on my desktop rig accordingly), kept having to suggest people listen to other albums for a proper listen.

Unfortunately as the meet organiser didn't have near enough time to listen to other gear. A few people wanted to try the 6 on their headphone amps, I think they 'get it' now after noting how bad the 6 were on those amps relative to the rig I had.
Edited by NZtechfreak - 5/24/14 at 12:10am
post #2773 of 4872
NZ, have you done any mods on the 6s yet? That brightness smooths out with the felt mod. I also like best the open grill. It does make the 6 a different animal.
post #2774 of 4872

The fuzzer mod really smooths out the highs, I'm trying to figure if I prefer it this way or not. Can't wait to get my other pair of 6s without the mod to compare. Anyone who thinks the 6 are bright should do the fuzzer mod on them.  I love the grill mod though.

post #2775 of 4872
Quote:
Originally Posted by cradon View Post
 

The fuzzer mod really smooths out the highs, I'm trying to figure if I prefer it this way or not. Can't wait to get my other pair of 6s without the mod to compare. Anyone who thinks the 6 are bright should do the fuzzer mod on them.  I love the grill mod though.

 

You must round off the edges of the felt, otherwise felt will interfere with the highs, below is copy from jreg's original thread

 

 

 

One last step after successfully applying the felt is to round off / taper off the right-angled edges of the felt cuts, so that they don't interfere with the treble (as mentioned in the Prelude section of this guide). It's quite easy, just find a thick pen, and use its rear end to reshape and smooth out the edges of the felt. A stylized diagram is shown below:

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones