- 701 Posts. Joined 7/2012
- Location: Malaysia
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMB Labs Beta22tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productAudio-gd FUN Basic DAC / Headphone Amptagged by System, 12/23/10
- productAudio-gd NFB-10tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productBottlehead Crack OTLtagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 12/23/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 12/23/10
- productMusical Fidelity X-Can v3tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productRSA Hornettagged by System, 6/20/12
- brandSugdentagged by System, 6/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 10/4/14 at 4:50am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Advice on down-sizing Last post on 9/19/12 at 7:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
“You know, I’ve never owned any Schi….um, any of your products..” I was saying to Jason Stoddard in LA in March. Indeed, the last time I’d sampled anything from his company was years ago at a meet...
I am new to head-fi and this is my first ever review. Basically I joined head-fi to read people's expert opinions on different products, as I'm not an audiophile and do not know much about the...
Alessandro Music Series MS1i Black Walnut Cups $169 Big thanks to JoeDoe of Head-Fi as he performed the cup installation as well as the swapping out the headband. I paid a little more for mine...
Value: I got these for $207 and at twice the price they'd be a great buy. Sound: If the next sentence seems defensive, it's not. it's an assertion of the sound quality of the HD598s. I've been in...
I'll refrain from writing an extensive review this time, as everything important has already been shown and written down in the other reviews here on head-fi. I second those opinions and can...
Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones - Page 180post #2686 of 33003/23/14 at 12:44amAllnic Audio's HPA5000 head amp is OTL in design but tuned to drive low impedance loads. Wonder if that amp , rated at 5w is capable of driving HE6 reasonably well.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2687 of 33003/23/14 at 7:52am
Very nice... I wish I still had my Berning ZH270. That would have been an interesting match. I imagine that it''d be extremely transparent and detailed, since I get more details from He-6 than I did with either the Merlin or Kharma speakers I was driving with the Berning.post #2688 of 33003/24/14 at 9:04ampost #2689 of 33003/28/14 at 10:52amQuote:I had the same experience with mine. Not enough juice. I suppose you could build an OTL amp with the power to drive the 6s. That would be intriguing.Originally Posted by Silent One
Yes, I have. Sounds nice at low listening levels, though raising the volume it becomes apparent the presentation is promised but not fully delivered. Playing music I love, I could get on with pleasure. But if I chose to listen critically, the amp lacks the drive to make the cans sing.
These views are based on my particular OTL amp and HE-6, but my experience may not differ wildly from others who may have tried.post #2690 of 33003/28/14 at 1:00pmQuote:
For me, I've no issues with transformers, as long as they are of quality.post #2691 of 33003/28/14 at 2:43pmQuote:
Yes, the HPA5000 drives the HE6 reasonably well. I am listening at 1:50 and there is still enough headroom.post #2692 of 33003/28/14 at 11:44pmpost #2693 of 33003/29/14 at 1:59amQuote:
I have given some impressions here:
My current opinion after ~ 5 months using the HPA5000 and comparing it to the Cavalli LF, Singlepower MPX which I own (and EF6 which I had for loan):
HE6 - best pairing, very musical and involving, excellent for Jazz, very good for classic and pop. The EF6 sounds more sterile/thin. The LF is even worse.
LCD 2.2 - very good pairing. Very musical, slightly more bass- heavy than the LF which is also a bit faster.
W5000 - good pairing sound wise, but question of taste. Mid bass is siroupy and strings sound heavenly ;-) but it is not my cup of tea. Unfortunately there is some hum. Maybe, the sensitivity is too high. (I have not changed tubes yet).
HD800 - not recommendable. Without a "matching device" the amp oscillates. Allnic provided me a "matching device" (2 transformers) and the oscillation is gone. However there is a slight hum (I am very sensitive to this ...). In addition to that, the HD800 sounds too dark to me and resolution is decreased. I prefer the SP MPX.post #2694 of 33003/29/14 at 2:14ampost #2695 of 33003/29/14 at 3:25amThanks for the impressions, Kensonic. Looks like a pretty flexible amp but the price may be out of my budget sadly. Allnic gear is just so expensive for us here in Malaysia due to the exchange rate being unfavorable to us.post #2696 of 33004/5/14 at 12:18pm
I think I believe the folks who claim the HE-6 needs a speaker amp.
I sold mine after trying it with 4 different headphone amps (some high end powerful ones, tubes and solid state) because it was too fatiguing up top, too shrill.
I got the HE500 and it was much better and I still have it and I will look into getting the HE560 because of my good experience with the HE500
(nice full bass, deep soundstage, palpable natural mids) .
Edited by rgs9200m - 4/5/14 at 12:20pmpost #2697 of 33004/5/14 at 3:50pmI am currently demoing the HE-6's on my Auralic Taurus MK.II. I think they sound very, very good but could likely use more power. If I continue to like this headphone this much I may move to an Audio GD Master 9 or GSX-2.
I would love a Pass Labs XA30.8 but there is no way for me to fit itpost #2698 of 33004/5/14 at 4:30pmQuote:Originally Posted by rydenfan
I am currently demoing the HE-6's on my Auralic Taurus MK.II. I think they sound very, very good but could likely use more power. If I continue to like this headphone this much I may move to an Audio GD Master 9 or GSX-2.
I would love a Pass Labs XA30.8 but there is no way for me to fit it
The Master 9 easily drives the HE6 providing deep controlled bass, smooth extended treble response and midrange to die for. I haven't listened to the GSX mkII, but my friend said he tried his HE6 on it at RMAF. He told me that it sounded lean and lacked the power to drive the HE6 well. This account correlates well with what others have said about GSX mkII and HE6.post #2699 of 33004/5/14 at 4:42pmMy master 6 was not ideal amp for HE6 IME it sounded lethargic and would occasionally clip on some demanding tracks when connected via ACSS. Connected via XLR it has just barely enough power to avoid clipping but I still dont think it's ideal.
Master 6 is a powerful preamp but I dont think it is quite overkill enough to make the HE6 wake up. Master 9 has a little more power which might be enough but I would have my doubts that it is the best option available.post #2700 of 33004/5/14 at 4:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by drez
My master 6 was not ideal amp for HE6 IME it sounded lethargic and would occasionally clip on some demanding tracks when connected via ACSS. Connected via XLR it has just barely enough power to avoid clipping but I still dont think it's ideal.
Master 6 is a powerful preamp but I dont think it is quite overkill enough to make the HE6 wake up. Master 9 has a little more power which might be enough but I would have my doubts that it is the best option available.
Have you heard the Master 9/ Bricasti M1/ HE6 combination? My friend uses a Threshold T50 speaker amp and a Bricasti M1 to drive his HE6. After hearing my M9/M1/HE6 set up, he told me that he was thinking about selling his speaker amp.
- Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Chicago - ? 1 minute ago
- › Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200) 2 minutes ago
- › [Review] InEar StageDiver 3, the SD-2's bassier triple driver... 2 minutes ago
- › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion... 3 minutes ago
- › Are flash drives in iPod problematic? 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Pellet 3d Printer ? 3 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 4 minutes ago
- › Diy Piezo film speakers - where and how do I build it? 4 minutes ago
- › Audio GD NFB-10SE 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by Currawong
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by harshkamboj
- › Alessandro MS1i by Mshenay
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by ringofoaksmusic
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by AManAnd88Keys
- › Dunu DN-1000 by chupacabra314
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by Loquah
- › Sennheiser HD 201 Headphones by LMNproyect
- › ASUS Xonar Essence ST Headphone 7.1-Channel Audio Card for Audiophiles by Vartan
- › Wireless Stereo Headset by Bugattikid2012
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)