- 1,453 Posts. Joined 7/2012
- Location: Malaysia
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMB Labs Beta22tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productAudio-gd FUN Basic DAC / Headphone Amptagged by System, 12/23/10
- productAudio-gd NFB-10tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productBottlehead Crack OTLtagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 12/23/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 12/23/10
- productMusical Fidelity X-Can v3tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productRSA Hornettagged by System, 6/20/12
- brandSugdentagged by System, 6/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 4/5/16 at 2:45am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Advice on down-sizing Last post on 9/19/12 at 7:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Heard these with Chord Hugo and boy oh boy was I unimpressed... These are not worth anywhere their price point where their sound is concerned. Decently comfortable though. (The sound signature...
I decided to write a short review after buying the second pair today. The first pair was damaged by a clumsy flight attendant and her heavy trolley... Although I was super happy with the E700M...
I thought about getting DFs as a present after passing driver's exams. Read those very few reviews online, which were generally a mixed back of helpfulness. Then I took the bullet and said, yes why...
I have a pair of EarTech Music Quads that I felt were worthy of a better cable. In particular I was hoping an aftermarket, high end cable would bring some missing "air" and resolution, more...
Hi, I'm new to this head-fi community and this would be my first headphone review here at head-fi. Other headphones I've owned and listened to so far would be the Sennheiser hd239, px100, rha...
Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones - Page 180post #2686 of 49683/23/14 at 12:44amAllnic Audio's HPA5000 head amp is OTL in design but tuned to drive low impedance loads. Wonder if that amp , rated at 5w is capable of driving HE6 reasonably well.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2687 of 49683/23/14 at 7:52am
Very nice... I wish I still had my Berning ZH270. That would have been an interesting match. I imagine that it''d be extremely transparent and detailed, since I get more details from He-6 than I did with either the Merlin or Kharma speakers I was driving with the Berning.post #2688 of 49683/24/14 at 9:04ampost #2689 of 49683/28/14 at 10:52amQuote:I had the same experience with mine. Not enough juice. I suppose you could build an OTL amp with the power to drive the 6s. That would be intriguing.Originally Posted by Silent One
Yes, I have. Sounds nice at low listening levels, though raising the volume it becomes apparent the presentation is promised but not fully delivered. Playing music I love, I could get on with pleasure. But if I chose to listen critically, the amp lacks the drive to make the cans sing.
These views are based on my particular OTL amp and HE-6, but my experience may not differ wildly from others who may have tried.post #2690 of 49683/28/14 at 1:00pmQuote:
For me, I've no issues with transformers, as long as they are of quality.post #2691 of 49683/28/14 at 2:43pmQuote:
Yes, the HPA5000 drives the HE6 reasonably well. I am listening at 1:50 and there is still enough headroom.post #2692 of 49683/28/14 at 11:44pmpost #2693 of 49683/29/14 at 1:59amQuote:
I have given some impressions here:
My current opinion after ~ 5 months using the HPA5000 and comparing it to the Cavalli LF, Singlepower MPX which I own (and EF6 which I had for loan):
HE6 - best pairing, very musical and involving, excellent for Jazz, very good for classic and pop. The EF6 sounds more sterile/thin. The LF is even worse.
LCD 2.2 - very good pairing. Very musical, slightly more bass- heavy than the LF which is also a bit faster.
W5000 - good pairing sound wise, but question of taste. Mid bass is siroupy and strings sound heavenly ;-) but it is not my cup of tea. Unfortunately there is some hum. Maybe, the sensitivity is too high. (I have not changed tubes yet).
HD800 - not recommendable. Without a "matching device" the amp oscillates. Allnic provided me a "matching device" (2 transformers) and the oscillation is gone. However there is a slight hum (I am very sensitive to this ...). In addition to that, the HD800 sounds too dark to me and resolution is decreased. I prefer the SP MPX.post #2694 of 49683/29/14 at 2:14ampost #2695 of 49683/29/14 at 3:25amThanks for the impressions, Kensonic. Looks like a pretty flexible amp but the price may be out of my budget sadly. Allnic gear is just so expensive for us here in Malaysia due to the exchange rate being unfavorable to us.post #2696 of 49684/5/14 at 12:18pm
I think I believe the folks who claim the HE-6 needs a speaker amp.
I sold mine after trying it with 4 different headphone amps (some high end powerful ones, tubes and solid state) because it was too fatiguing up top, too shrill.
I got the HE500 and it was much better and I still have it and I will look into getting the HE560 because of my good experience with the HE500
(nice full bass, deep soundstage, palpable natural mids) .
Edited by rgs9200m - 4/5/14 at 12:20pmpost #2697 of 49684/5/14 at 3:50pmI am currently demoing the HE-6's on my Auralic Taurus MK.II. I think they sound very, very good but could likely use more power. If I continue to like this headphone this much I may move to an Audio GD Master 9 or GSX-2.
I would love a Pass Labs XA30.8 but there is no way for me to fit itpost #2698 of 49684/5/14 at 4:30pmQuote:Originally Posted by rydenfan
I am currently demoing the HE-6's on my Auralic Taurus MK.II. I think they sound very, very good but could likely use more power. If I continue to like this headphone this much I may move to an Audio GD Master 9 or GSX-2.
I would love a Pass Labs XA30.8 but there is no way for me to fit it
The Master 9 easily drives the HE6 providing deep controlled bass, smooth extended treble response and midrange to die for. I haven't listened to the GSX mkII, but my friend said he tried his HE6 on it at RMAF. He told me that it sounded lean and lacked the power to drive the HE6 well. This account correlates well with what others have said about GSX mkII and HE6.post #2699 of 49684/5/14 at 4:42pmMy master 6 was not ideal amp for HE6 IME it sounded lethargic and would occasionally clip on some demanding tracks when connected via ACSS. Connected via XLR it has just barely enough power to avoid clipping but I still dont think it's ideal.
Master 6 is a powerful preamp but I dont think it is quite overkill enough to make the HE6 wake up. Master 9 has a little more power which might be enough but I would have my doubts that it is the best option available.post #2700 of 49684/5/14 at 4:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by drez
My master 6 was not ideal amp for HE6 IME it sounded lethargic and would occasionally clip on some demanding tracks when connected via ACSS. Connected via XLR it has just barely enough power to avoid clipping but I still dont think it's ideal.
Master 6 is a powerful preamp but I dont think it is quite overkill enough to make the HE6 wake up. Master 9 has a little more power which might be enough but I would have my doubts that it is the best option available.
Have you heard the Master 9/ Bricasti M1/ HE6 combination? My friend uses a Threshold T50 speaker amp and a Bricasti M1 to drive his HE6. After hearing my M9/M1/HE6 set up, he told me that he was thinking about selling his speaker amp.
- Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 20 seconds ago
- › micro to mini usb otg cable 21 seconds ago
- › Audeze Deckard - class A amp, USB DAC 23 seconds ago
- › COMING SOON: Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth,... 23 seconds ago
- › Wells Audio Milo - Impressions And Discussion Thread 44 seconds ago
- › Denver Meet 2017 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Gustard X20 DAC 2 minutes ago
- › Best Sub-100$ CHINESE Brands EARPHONES Thread- Hidden Gems,... 2 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 3 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by GirgleMirt
- › Onkyo E700M In-ear headphones Black with microphone by doraymon
- › K240 DF by asymcon
- › TWag V4 Litz ciem replacement cable by tex thai
- › Sennheiser PX 95 Versatile On-Ear Headphones by Varun Shankar
- › Panasonic RP-HT460E-K by PETEBULL
- › SoundPEATS Wireless Earbuds, True Wireless Stereo Bluetooth 4.2... by B9Scrambler
- › Soundmagic E10BT by msturg29
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by msturg29
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones by msturg29
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear