- 1,246 Posts. Joined 7/2012
- Location: Malaysia
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMB Labs Beta22tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productAudio-gd FUN Basic DAC / Headphone Amptagged by System, 12/23/10
- productAudio-gd NFB-10tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productBottlehead Crack OTLtagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 12/23/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 12/23/10
- productMusical Fidelity X-Can v3tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productRSA Hornettagged by System, 6/20/12
- brandSugdentagged by System, 6/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 4/5/16 at 2:45am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Advice on down-sizing Last post on 9/19/12 at 7:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTION I'd watched the growth of MEE Audio over the years, first as Meelectronics, and then more recently as...
At the time this review was written, the Edifier P220 was listed for sale on Amazon. Here is a link to their listing of the...
I loved these Bluetooth earphones,was pme of my best buys, I got them for a shade under $30 at https://www.chinavasion.com/. The earphones come with a bag of silicon clips and different size...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be taking a quick and dirty look at the YHC S600, yet another outstanding hyper-budget earphone worthy of consideration. What the S600 brings to the...
Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones - Page 180post #2686 of 47143/23/14 at 12:44amAllnic Audio's HPA5000 head amp is OTL in design but tuned to drive low impedance loads. Wonder if that amp , rated at 5w is capable of driving HE6 reasonably well.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2687 of 47143/23/14 at 7:52am
Very nice... I wish I still had my Berning ZH270. That would have been an interesting match. I imagine that it''d be extremely transparent and detailed, since I get more details from He-6 than I did with either the Merlin or Kharma speakers I was driving with the Berning.post #2688 of 47143/24/14 at 9:04ampost #2689 of 47143/28/14 at 10:52amQuote:I had the same experience with mine. Not enough juice. I suppose you could build an OTL amp with the power to drive the 6s. That would be intriguing.Originally Posted by Silent One
Yes, I have. Sounds nice at low listening levels, though raising the volume it becomes apparent the presentation is promised but not fully delivered. Playing music I love, I could get on with pleasure. But if I chose to listen critically, the amp lacks the drive to make the cans sing.
These views are based on my particular OTL amp and HE-6, but my experience may not differ wildly from others who may have tried.post #2690 of 47143/28/14 at 1:00pmQuote:
For me, I've no issues with transformers, as long as they are of quality.post #2691 of 47143/28/14 at 2:43pmQuote:
Yes, the HPA5000 drives the HE6 reasonably well. I am listening at 1:50 and there is still enough headroom.post #2692 of 47143/28/14 at 11:44pmpost #2693 of 47143/29/14 at 1:59amQuote:
I have given some impressions here:
My current opinion after ~ 5 months using the HPA5000 and comparing it to the Cavalli LF, Singlepower MPX which I own (and EF6 which I had for loan):
HE6 - best pairing, very musical and involving, excellent for Jazz, very good for classic and pop. The EF6 sounds more sterile/thin. The LF is even worse.
LCD 2.2 - very good pairing. Very musical, slightly more bass- heavy than the LF which is also a bit faster.
W5000 - good pairing sound wise, but question of taste. Mid bass is siroupy and strings sound heavenly ;-) but it is not my cup of tea. Unfortunately there is some hum. Maybe, the sensitivity is too high. (I have not changed tubes yet).
HD800 - not recommendable. Without a "matching device" the amp oscillates. Allnic provided me a "matching device" (2 transformers) and the oscillation is gone. However there is a slight hum (I am very sensitive to this ...). In addition to that, the HD800 sounds too dark to me and resolution is decreased. I prefer the SP MPX.post #2694 of 47143/29/14 at 2:14ampost #2695 of 47143/29/14 at 3:25amThanks for the impressions, Kensonic. Looks like a pretty flexible amp but the price may be out of my budget sadly. Allnic gear is just so expensive for us here in Malaysia due to the exchange rate being unfavorable to us.post #2696 of 47144/5/14 at 12:18pm
I think I believe the folks who claim the HE-6 needs a speaker amp.
I sold mine after trying it with 4 different headphone amps (some high end powerful ones, tubes and solid state) because it was too fatiguing up top, too shrill.
I got the HE500 and it was much better and I still have it and I will look into getting the HE560 because of my good experience with the HE500
(nice full bass, deep soundstage, palpable natural mids) .
Edited by rgs9200m - 4/5/14 at 12:20pmpost #2697 of 47144/5/14 at 3:50pmI am currently demoing the HE-6's on my Auralic Taurus MK.II. I think they sound very, very good but could likely use more power. If I continue to like this headphone this much I may move to an Audio GD Master 9 or GSX-2.
I would love a Pass Labs XA30.8 but there is no way for me to fit itpost #2698 of 47144/5/14 at 4:30pmQuote:Originally Posted by rydenfan
I am currently demoing the HE-6's on my Auralic Taurus MK.II. I think they sound very, very good but could likely use more power. If I continue to like this headphone this much I may move to an Audio GD Master 9 or GSX-2.
I would love a Pass Labs XA30.8 but there is no way for me to fit it
The Master 9 easily drives the HE6 providing deep controlled bass, smooth extended treble response and midrange to die for. I haven't listened to the GSX mkII, but my friend said he tried his HE6 on it at RMAF. He told me that it sounded lean and lacked the power to drive the HE6 well. This account correlates well with what others have said about GSX mkII and HE6.post #2699 of 47144/5/14 at 4:42pmMy master 6 was not ideal amp for HE6 IME it sounded lethargic and would occasionally clip on some demanding tracks when connected via ACSS. Connected via XLR it has just barely enough power to avoid clipping but I still dont think it's ideal.
Master 6 is a powerful preamp but I dont think it is quite overkill enough to make the HE6 wake up. Master 9 has a little more power which might be enough but I would have my doubts that it is the best option available.post #2700 of 47144/5/14 at 4:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by drez
My master 6 was not ideal amp for HE6 IME it sounded lethargic and would occasionally clip on some demanding tracks when connected via ACSS. Connected via XLR it has just barely enough power to avoid clipping but I still dont think it's ideal.
Master 6 is a powerful preamp but I dont think it is quite overkill enough to make the HE6 wake up. Master 9 has a little more power which might be enough but I would have my doubts that it is the best option available.
Have you heard the Master 9/ Bricasti M1/ HE6 combination? My friend uses a Threshold T50 speaker amp and a Bricasti M1 to drive his HE6. After hearing my M9/M1/HE6 set up, he told me that he was thinking about selling his speaker amp.
- Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Quiet Comfort or IEM? 2 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 2 minutes ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 6 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 7 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 8 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 9 minutes ago
- › Trinity VYRUS IEM available for pre-order now! 10 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW ... 11 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 12 minutes ago
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 12 minutes ago
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by Brooko
- › Edifier P220 In-Ear Chrome Design Headphones With Microphone - Blue by Hisoundfi
- › EasGear Morul U5 Waterproof Wireless Earbuds by James Mash
- › Mixcder ANC-G5 Active Noise Cancelling Hi-Fi In-ear Headphones,... by Pastapipo
- › YHC S600 by B9Scrambler
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by dlo13
- › Fostex TH 900 by roxrite
- › Woo Audio WA5 LE by Shini44
- › Fischer Audio Omega Spark by crabdog
- › MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III by Lurk650
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...