- 1,180 Posts. Joined 7/2012
- Location: Malaysia
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMB Labs Beta22tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productAudio-gd FUN Basic DAC / Headphone Amptagged by System, 12/23/10
- productAudio-gd NFB-10tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productBottlehead Crack OTLtagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 12/23/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 12/23/10
- productMusical Fidelity X-Can v3tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productRSA Hornettagged by System, 6/20/12
- brandSugdentagged by System, 6/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 4/5/16 at 2:45am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Advice on down-sizing Last post on 9/19/12 at 7:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
(Player: Cowon Plenue D ; Earphone: JH5) Before I start, I must say that this was not the beginning of my experience with the brand cables. I own the Ares cable also (first model) and make...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTION Firstly I want to thank a local NZ Head-Fier (AudioDHD) for allowing me to spend some time...
Not a whole lot to add that others have mentioned. I would have liked a traveling case included instead of a pouch, but I will let that slide for a couple of reasons. First is that the box that...
First, I would like to thank Shozy for sending me a pre-production model of the Zero in exchange for my honest opinion. My pre-production model arrived in a small package. Inside was the Zero...
Ghostek made its name in the phone accessory market. Its been building solid cases for a while now, and they’ve brought everything they’ve learned from making durable phone cases to the table...
Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones - Page 180post #2686 of 46093/23/14 at 12:44amAllnic Audio's HPA5000 head amp is OTL in design but tuned to drive low impedance loads. Wonder if that amp , rated at 5w is capable of driving HE6 reasonably well.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2687 of 46093/23/14 at 7:52am
Very nice... I wish I still had my Berning ZH270. That would have been an interesting match. I imagine that it''d be extremely transparent and detailed, since I get more details from He-6 than I did with either the Merlin or Kharma speakers I was driving with the Berning.post #2688 of 46093/24/14 at 9:04ampost #2689 of 46093/28/14 at 10:52amQuote:I had the same experience with mine. Not enough juice. I suppose you could build an OTL amp with the power to drive the 6s. That would be intriguing.Originally Posted by Silent One
Yes, I have. Sounds nice at low listening levels, though raising the volume it becomes apparent the presentation is promised but not fully delivered. Playing music I love, I could get on with pleasure. But if I chose to listen critically, the amp lacks the drive to make the cans sing.
These views are based on my particular OTL amp and HE-6, but my experience may not differ wildly from others who may have tried.post #2690 of 46093/28/14 at 1:00pmQuote:
For me, I've no issues with transformers, as long as they are of quality.post #2691 of 46093/28/14 at 2:43pmQuote:
Yes, the HPA5000 drives the HE6 reasonably well. I am listening at 1:50 and there is still enough headroom.post #2692 of 46093/28/14 at 11:44pmpost #2693 of 46093/29/14 at 1:59amQuote:
I have given some impressions here:
My current opinion after ~ 5 months using the HPA5000 and comparing it to the Cavalli LF, Singlepower MPX which I own (and EF6 which I had for loan):
HE6 - best pairing, very musical and involving, excellent for Jazz, very good for classic and pop. The EF6 sounds more sterile/thin. The LF is even worse.
LCD 2.2 - very good pairing. Very musical, slightly more bass- heavy than the LF which is also a bit faster.
W5000 - good pairing sound wise, but question of taste. Mid bass is siroupy and strings sound heavenly ;-) but it is not my cup of tea. Unfortunately there is some hum. Maybe, the sensitivity is too high. (I have not changed tubes yet).
HD800 - not recommendable. Without a "matching device" the amp oscillates. Allnic provided me a "matching device" (2 transformers) and the oscillation is gone. However there is a slight hum (I am very sensitive to this ...). In addition to that, the HD800 sounds too dark to me and resolution is decreased. I prefer the SP MPX.post #2694 of 46093/29/14 at 2:14ampost #2695 of 46093/29/14 at 3:25amThanks for the impressions, Kensonic. Looks like a pretty flexible amp but the price may be out of my budget sadly. Allnic gear is just so expensive for us here in Malaysia due to the exchange rate being unfavorable to us.post #2696 of 46094/5/14 at 12:18pm
I think I believe the folks who claim the HE-6 needs a speaker amp.
I sold mine after trying it with 4 different headphone amps (some high end powerful ones, tubes and solid state) because it was too fatiguing up top, too shrill.
I got the HE500 and it was much better and I still have it and I will look into getting the HE560 because of my good experience with the HE500
(nice full bass, deep soundstage, palpable natural mids) .
Edited by rgs9200m - 4/5/14 at 12:20pmpost #2697 of 46094/5/14 at 3:50pmI am currently demoing the HE-6's on my Auralic Taurus MK.II. I think they sound very, very good but could likely use more power. If I continue to like this headphone this much I may move to an Audio GD Master 9 or GSX-2.
I would love a Pass Labs XA30.8 but there is no way for me to fit itpost #2698 of 46094/5/14 at 4:30pmQuote:Originally Posted by rydenfan
I am currently demoing the HE-6's on my Auralic Taurus MK.II. I think they sound very, very good but could likely use more power. If I continue to like this headphone this much I may move to an Audio GD Master 9 or GSX-2.
I would love a Pass Labs XA30.8 but there is no way for me to fit it
The Master 9 easily drives the HE6 providing deep controlled bass, smooth extended treble response and midrange to die for. I haven't listened to the GSX mkII, but my friend said he tried his HE6 on it at RMAF. He told me that it sounded lean and lacked the power to drive the HE6 well. This account correlates well with what others have said about GSX mkII and HE6.post #2699 of 46094/5/14 at 4:42pmMy master 6 was not ideal amp for HE6 IME it sounded lethargic and would occasionally clip on some demanding tracks when connected via ACSS. Connected via XLR it has just barely enough power to avoid clipping but I still dont think it's ideal.
Master 6 is a powerful preamp but I dont think it is quite overkill enough to make the HE6 wake up. Master 9 has a little more power which might be enough but I would have my doubts that it is the best option available.post #2700 of 46094/5/14 at 4:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by drez
My master 6 was not ideal amp for HE6 IME it sounded lethargic and would occasionally clip on some demanding tracks when connected via ACSS. Connected via XLR it has just barely enough power to avoid clipping but I still dont think it's ideal.
Master 6 is a powerful preamp but I dont think it is quite overkill enough to make the HE6 wake up. Master 9 has a little more power which might be enough but I would have my doubts that it is the best option available.
Have you heard the Master 9/ Bricasti M1/ HE6 combination? My friend uses a Threshold T50 speaker amp and a Bricasti M1 to drive his HE6. After hearing my M9/M1/HE6 set up, he told me that he was thinking about selling his speaker amp.
- Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Review & Discussions/Impressions: Creative Labs E-MU Walnut Wood... 3 seconds ago
- › Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread 5 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 34 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 58 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › The all new Continental Dual Mono 1 minute ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 1 minute ago
- › Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9) 2 minutes ago
- › The NEW Headphone Lounge Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 4 minutes ago
- › Effect Audio Thor Coper IEM Upgrade Cable by Vitor Valeri
- › ZhiYin QT5 by Brooko
- › Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac Over-Ear Headphones by ekolite
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by slowpickr
- › Ghostek GHOHP001 Wireless Bluetooth Headphones, soDrop Series aptX... by Cinder
- › MEE audio M7P Secure-Fit Sports In-Ear Headphones with Mic, Remote,... by suman134
- › Rock Jaw Alfa Genus V2 Earphones with In-Line Mic & 3x Tuning... by suman134
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by suman134
- › Campfire Audio Lyra by Brooko
- › Brainwavz Hooka by DynamikeB
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...