- 8,652 Posts. Joined 10/2006
- Location: Annapolis, MO (in the middle of retirement)
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMB Labs Beta22tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productAudio-gd FUN Basic DAC / Headphone Amptagged by System, 12/23/10
- productAudio-gd NFB-10tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productBottlehead Crack OTLtagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 12/23/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 12/23/10
- productMusical Fidelity X-Can v3tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productRSA Hornettagged by System, 6/20/12
- brandSugdentagged by System, 6/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 5/24/14 at 11:55am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Advice on down-sizing Last post on 9/19/12 at 7:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Brainwavs are at it again with their new 10mm dynamic driver based IEM named "S5". I must say I was intrigued to try the new sample and where they'd come from Brainwavs B2 I owned many months...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
I was looking for a cheap and cheerful, fun sounding closed can for listening at my computer at work and some limited portable use. I typically listen to EDM in this setting and had been using the...
Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones - Page 177post #2641 of 30983/14/14 at 9:33pmI have not used fabric. It's open. I keep them covered in lint free cloth when not in use. Dust can be blown free by canned electronics air.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2642 of 30983/15/14 at 12:24pm
For those worried about dust, some women's nylons work well in a pinch and are acoustically transparent.
The most "open" you can get would be to go without grills altogether, and just use the retaining ring to hold the nylons in place (or don't even bother with them and just go "naked").post #2643 of 30983/16/14 at 9:40pmQuote:
I read your post that sounds good with HE-6 Denon angled pads, how does it compares with Audeze pads?
Audeze should increase sound stage as it push's HE-6 further away from ears at expenses of micro details, Denon pads
provide some angle which should again improve sound stage at bit.
I have j$ beyer pads and do not like them with HE-6, using stock velour pads.post #2644 of 30983/16/14 at 11:00pm
Funny enough, I have J$ Beyer pads on mine and they are my favourite. Granted, I also have additional damping in the front.post #2645 of 30983/16/14 at 11:23pmQuote:
They add more bass, but make sound much thinner, mids and high end are kind of hammered. But I really really liked the "naked" avatar of HE-6, is sound more open with more kicking bass, really liking it.
PS Audio MK II -> Emo UPA-200-> Naked HE-6....felling like I am in heaven. After lot of miss, this one is hit for me, after long time I am enjoying music rather than worrying about my setup....Emo takes two-three hrs to warm-up and sound much better after that.
Thanks for suggestion will attempt grill mod tomorrow.
Edited by musicinmymind - 3/16/14 at 11:26pmpost #2646 of 30983/17/14 at 9:53amI know another amp capable to drive a he6..check the review out mentioned in my signature
This evening i will include listening impressions..this amp is made solely to drive a he6 on its best possible. Enjoy reading guys.post #2647 of 30983/17/14 at 11:36ampost #2648 of 30983/17/14 at 11:43ampost #2649 of 30983/17/14 at 12:14pm
For ur answer check this out:
My amp is completely based on that amp..only tuned, designed and handbuilt for driving a he6 ( in my case the unique Code-X) and more simple in built (only usb input) and less powerful. The mainboard of my amp (see pic of main amp insides), and i quote Gilbert, is literarely taken from the production line of the full size NSL.
And coming back to ur question: u cant imagine how good all those opamps sound together
BTW..there is a code-x for sale by a fellow owner because of personal reasons..check the thread out if ur interested to get a unique and absolutely stunning sounding headphone.. And only 20 originals have been made from NOS HE-5's. Get it while u can..seriously..this can made me not buying/wanting a he6 anymore..and i still dont.
Its not a black woody as i have but a brown woody i expect. Check it out and if ur interested pm him..its the last post on the thread.
Edited by hifimanrookie - 3/17/14 at 12:31pmpost #2650 of 30983/17/14 at 12:38pmpost #2651 of 30983/17/14 at 2:18pmpost #2652 of 30983/17/14 at 3:09pm
Or nightmare...post #2653 of 30983/17/14 at 3:13pmI do not know the amp at all. But some of us tube roll. So why not op amp roll. As long as it has enough power and a low output imp . Rolling the op amps is pretty cool as an option.
I have a ibasso portable amp that has that feature with buffers.
Alpost #2654 of 30983/17/14 at 3:31pmThe design reminds me a bit of Nelson Pass' experiment with the 'beast with a 1000 jfets' power amp, also uses a massive parallel construction though the technical implementation is mrobably totally different. Don't think the Pass product is commercially available but he claims excellent audio characteristics and very good distortion figures.
I'm following hifimanrookie's thread like a hawk for auditioning info; won't sell my ODAC just yet, imagine they sound the same ;-)
- Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Philips Fidelio L2 1 minute ago
- › Official 2014 LA Head-Fi Meet, August 9, 2014, Marriott Warner Center 1 minute ago
- › FitEar TO GO! & Universal Series --- Suyama's custom IEM, made... 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Ocharaku Flat4 Kaede 2 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 2 minutes ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 2 minutes ago
- › Need help narrowing things down (Between 50-$150) 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD439 review 4 minutes ago
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › AKG K490 NC by MP3guy
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)