Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones - Page 157

post #2341 of 3539
Here is a good starting point . A 10 ohm and 2 ohm 10 watt resisters in series across the outputs . Put the HE6 a cross the 2 ohm. It will give you good attenuation and loads the amp up at about 8 ohms or so.

Al. D
post #2342 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnadell View Post

So people using the he6's on the speaker lugs don't have a problem with the impedance?
I am interested in trying the he6's but I don't want to do it blind. Thanks
The creator (Mr. Hifiman, himself) of the HE-6 USED a speaker amp to demonstrate the HP. I tend to see this as a slam dunk of proof that, maybe, it's OK to try it. The protocol is simple: use the same common sense with the gain knob as with your speaker system.

You can also use the little resistor box some prefer to use but, to my ears, the HE-6 sounded best without it.
Edited by Mambosenior - 1/2/14 at 8:46pm
post #2343 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnadell View Post
 

So people using the he6's on the speaker lugs don't have a problem with the impedance?

I am interested in trying the he6's but I don't want to do it blind. Thanks


Orthos have no dampening factor so not affected by impedance.

post #2344 of 3539
I do understand that. , but I am a believer of having a somewhat normal load attached to the speaker terminals . I am not saying it must be but the amps are designed to have a load on them and as such it may affect the sound. Having nothing to do with damping factor of the load or amp. That's just my 2 cents. This is also good to help eliminate noise floor issues too. And it is still snowing here.
post #2345 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnadell View Post
 

So people using the he6's on the speaker lugs don't have a problem with the impedance?

I am interested in trying the he6's but I don't want to do it blind. Thanks

 

With planar magnetics there is little to no effect from damping factor, but some amps do require some attenuation to reduce audible background noise.

 

If you want the full scoop, dig into Speaker Amps for Headphones.  Its worth the time to read from page one.

post #2346 of 3539
Speaker amp can damage He-6 ?
Especially high power one more than 150 watt on 8 ohm load, will swing upto 35 volts.
In that case, across 50 ohm load of He-6 would generate 0.7 amps at the 35 volt.
Basically speaker amp is voltage source, and the power rating depends only on internal impedance?
post #2347 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joong View Post

Speaker amp can damage He-6 ?
Especially high power one more than 150 watt on 8 ohm load, will swing upto 35 volts.
In that case, across 50 ohm load of He-6 would generate 0.7 amps at the 35 volt.
Basically speaker amp is voltage source, and the power rating depends only on internal impedance?

Prego. E finita la commedia.
post #2348 of 3539
English please.biggrin.gif
thanks
Edited by Joong - 1/3/14 at 5:18pm
post #2349 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

I do understand that. , but I am a believer of having a somewhat normal load attached to the speaker terminals . I am not saying it must be but the amps are designed to have a load on them and as such it may affect the sound. Having nothing to do with damping factor of the load or amp. That's just my 2 cents. This is also good to help eliminate noise floor issues too. And it is still snowing here.

Person who built my amp suggested not using a resistor except for tube amps that need to see a load. Makes sense to check with the manufacturer if you can
post #2350 of 3539
That maybe true , but how often can you speak with a manufactory , and ask them about using it not how it was intended .

After all it's a speaker amp. Lol
post #2351 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

That maybe true , but how often can you speak with a manufactory , and ask them about using it not how it was intended .

After all it's a speaker amp. Lol

I guess. I have surprised how easy it has been to get replies from builders, including audio note (from Peter himself in less than 24 hours) and Manley and a few others. I am not sure that asking about the loads for their amps is entirely new territory for them, but maybe I am missing something. And emails are pretty cheap. I mostly responded because the advice I got was pretty much the opposite of why you suggested. Whatever
post #2352 of 3539
Whatever lol.

Al
post #2353 of 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambosenior View Post

Prego. E finita la commedia.
in other words, what is usual voltage swing of 150 watts amplifier on 8 ohm loads?
It will be 35 volts.
And this voltage is never changed with any load size?
Edited by Joong - 1/3/14 at 6:10pm
post #2354 of 3539

Just had my first listen of my new HE-6 for 30mins. Loving the sound entirely! Bass is a bit looser than Id like, the culprit is the pioneer receiver Im currently using--its still very good nonetheless. The most impressive thing or what 'wowed' me the most is just how airy it is. The airiness from these HE-6 arent found in planars imo. Bravo HiFiMan, bravo. 

post #2355 of 3539
Yes i wish my lcd3 were like that.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones