Lyr --> HE-500 no question..
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMB Labs Beta22tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productAudio-gd FUN Basic DAC / Headphone Amptagged by System, 12/23/10
- productAudio-gd NFB-10tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productBottlehead Crack OTLtagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 12/23/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 12/23/10
- productMusical Fidelity X-Can v3tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productRSA Hornettagged by System, 6/20/12
- brandSugdentagged by System, 6/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 4/5/16 at 2:45am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Advice on down-sizing Last post on 9/19/12 at 7:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Cayin have always intrigued me, their approach to portable audio isn't about sound quality alone, far from. Their designs are some of the most unique...
published on April 30, 2016 - download a printable 8-page PDF version of this review (right-click the link & save target, or just tap for mobile devices) (click any photo in this review...
There is just so much craptastic dreck in the
This is my first review and it's going to be brief...Never in my life have I been so damn impressed with an audio product (I have a bunch) than I am with my Custom K10's!!! There is not 1 thing...
Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones - Page 118post #1756 of 44739/18/13 at 6:01pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1757 of 44739/18/13 at 7:20pmpost #1758 of 44739/18/13 at 7:41pmQuote:
Not much of a fair comparison, I'd take a HE-500 driver out of a vintage over the HE-500 and soloist pair.post #1759 of 44739/18/13 at 7:48pmpost #1760 of 44739/18/13 at 7:49pmpost #1761 of 44739/18/13 at 7:52pmpost #1762 of 44739/18/13 at 8:02pmpost #1763 of 44739/18/13 at 8:09pmQuote:
Eh, well that is not the point I was aiming for though. Just the headphone out of a Marantz SR4023, which I did not think was a very well respected amp. Well also I would of course take the HE-6 over the HE-500 both out of the Soloist.post #1764 of 44739/18/13 at 8:19pmpost #1765 of 44739/18/13 at 8:29pmQuote:
Ah, well I'll clarify then:
HE-6/Vintage Unit > HE-500/Vintage unit > HE-500/Soloist
The SR4023 is definitely a newer unit. The headphone amplifier on the front of these units is a totally different implementation than the older ones.post #1766 of 44739/18/13 at 8:46pmQuote:
I know, that is why I clarified, although I never said vintage to begin with.I am curious though, as it was left out of your preference order; HE-6/Soloist vs. HE-500/Soloist?post #1767 of 44739/18/13 at 9:01pmQuote:Originally Posted by Gneiss
I know, that is why I clarified, although I never said vintage to begin with.I am curious though, as it was left out of your preference order; HE-6/Soloist vs. HE-500/Soloist?
Ooops! That's what I get for reading and responding to multiple threads at a time
IMO, the HE-500 was an easier listening experience w/ the Soloist. My HE-6 always sounded a little rough on the treble and didn't have enough bass impact down low with the Soloist. I've heard mixed reviews on the HE-6 w/ the Soloist, but that's my take. I also think there is some variation with the HE-6 drivers over time, so that may also be contributing
Seems like you're a little stuck on the Soloist. When I had one, I didn't really dig it all that much with the Hifiman. I didn't really dig it with a lot of phones unfortunately, but if you ever get a chance with a pair of T1s, whew. Let's just say after I sold the Soloist, I later sold the T1s. No amplifier could really make them sound as good.post #1768 of 44739/18/13 at 9:31pm
Ha ha well the T1 is what I listen to the most often! Although sad to hear that that is the end of the road in your view, as I am getting fed up with the attenuator on the Soloist. I was planning on getting the Ragnarok to power everything.post #1769 of 44739/18/13 at 9:37pmQuote:Hah! That's actually why I sold it ultimately. I understand why they have it in there, but imagine with my Denon D7000. It was awful. I still hesitant to change the volume even on my Matrix M-stage. I'm scarred for life.Who knows what the Rag will bring, but for me, when I tried the T1s on just about every other amplifier I had access, they just didn't have that synergy I found with the Soloist. I'm pretty excited for the Rag, not because I'll get one, but because I think I'll grab an used Mjolnir
- Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Portable amp recommendation for my iem 45 seconds ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 46 seconds ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 3 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO X3 & X5 USB Drivers (for Windows only) 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 5 minutes ago
- › ** PRICE DROP ** Headstage Arrow 4G (N board) + USB DAC - Perfect... 7 minutes ago
- › Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1 8 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW ... 11 minutes ago
- › The NEW Headphone Lounge Thread 13 minutes ago
- › Cayin N5 DSD Lossless Music Player by H20Fidelity
- › Campfire Audio Orion by piksnz
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by Asr
- › 1MORE EO323 Dual Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone... by leesure
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by Bighappy
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by areek
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM In-Ear by Yubacore
- › Meze 99 Classics by Defiant00
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by silvrr
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Hisoundfi
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse