Lyr --> HE-500 no question..
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMB Labs Beta22tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productAudio-gd FUN Basic DAC / Headphone Amptagged by System, 12/23/10
- productAudio-gd NFB-10tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productBottlehead Crack OTLtagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 12/23/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 12/23/10
- productMusical Fidelity X-Can v3tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productRSA Hornettagged by System, 6/20/12
- brandSugdentagged by System, 6/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 4/5/16 at 2:45am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Advice on down-sizing Last post on 9/19/12 at 7:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
The product was provided to me free of charge for the review purpose in exchange for my honest opinion. The review was originally posted on my blog, and now I would like to share it with all of...
UP with the Encasement of Sound! When I heard the Shanling UP, I was perplexed. I had read many a comment espousing the virtues of the Audioquest Dragonfly Black (DFB), and especially the Red...
To begin with, I would like to thank iFi for making this great tour and allowing some of us to test this product. I've been enjoying my original micro iDSD since January 2015 and it is really a...
-- **This review is a sample portion from the full thread: Meet the Puresounds Earbud Family.** **All photos are taken by me.** **Disclaimer - I was provided the Puresounds...
There comes a time you're bored from your audio gear. You don't have a grand or two for a new set of ultra high end headphones to give you that fresh kick, and electronics costing as much as your...
Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones - Page 118post #1756 of 49349/18/13 at 6:01pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1757 of 49349/18/13 at 7:20pmpost #1758 of 49349/18/13 at 7:41pmQuote:
Not much of a fair comparison, I'd take a HE-500 driver out of a vintage over the HE-500 and soloist pair.post #1759 of 49349/18/13 at 7:48pmpost #1760 of 49349/18/13 at 7:49pmpost #1761 of 49349/18/13 at 7:52pmpost #1762 of 49349/18/13 at 8:02pmpost #1763 of 49349/18/13 at 8:09pmQuote:
Eh, well that is not the point I was aiming for though. Just the headphone out of a Marantz SR4023, which I did not think was a very well respected amp. Well also I would of course take the HE-6 over the HE-500 both out of the Soloist.post #1764 of 49349/18/13 at 8:19pmpost #1765 of 49349/18/13 at 8:29pmQuote:
Ah, well I'll clarify then:
HE-6/Vintage Unit > HE-500/Vintage unit > HE-500/Soloist
The SR4023 is definitely a newer unit. The headphone amplifier on the front of these units is a totally different implementation than the older ones.post #1766 of 49349/18/13 at 8:46pmQuote:
I know, that is why I clarified, although I never said vintage to begin with.I am curious though, as it was left out of your preference order; HE-6/Soloist vs. HE-500/Soloist?post #1767 of 49349/18/13 at 9:01pmQuote:Originally Posted by Gneiss
I know, that is why I clarified, although I never said vintage to begin with.I am curious though, as it was left out of your preference order; HE-6/Soloist vs. HE-500/Soloist?
Ooops! That's what I get for reading and responding to multiple threads at a time
IMO, the HE-500 was an easier listening experience w/ the Soloist. My HE-6 always sounded a little rough on the treble and didn't have enough bass impact down low with the Soloist. I've heard mixed reviews on the HE-6 w/ the Soloist, but that's my take. I also think there is some variation with the HE-6 drivers over time, so that may also be contributing
Seems like you're a little stuck on the Soloist. When I had one, I didn't really dig it all that much with the Hifiman. I didn't really dig it with a lot of phones unfortunately, but if you ever get a chance with a pair of T1s, whew. Let's just say after I sold the Soloist, I later sold the T1s. No amplifier could really make them sound as good.post #1768 of 49349/18/13 at 9:31pm
Ha ha well the T1 is what I listen to the most often! Although sad to hear that that is the end of the road in your view, as I am getting fed up with the attenuator on the Soloist. I was planning on getting the Ragnarok to power everything.post #1769 of 49349/18/13 at 9:37pmQuote:Hah! That's actually why I sold it ultimately. I understand why they have it in there, but imagine with my Denon D7000. It was awful. I still hesitant to change the volume even on my Matrix M-stage. I'm scarred for life.Who knows what the Rag will bring, but for me, when I tried the T1s on just about every other amplifier I had access, they just didn't have that synergy I found with the Soloist. I'm pretty excited for the Rag, not because I'll get one, but because I think I'll grab an used Mjolnir
- Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV 8 seconds ago
- › New Inear Prophile-8 40 seconds ago
- › FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth! 55 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 2 minutes ago
- › Cowon PLENUE M2 2 minutes ago
- › Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit 4 minutes ago
- › Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread! 4 minutes ago
- › AUDIOENGINE A5+ Powered Speakers 5 minutes ago
- › Lotoo Paw Pico by twister6
- › Shanling UP Portable DAC/Headphone Amplifier AMP ES9018K2M+MAX97... by ngoshawk
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by rafaelpernil
- › PureSounds PS100-600 by BloodyPenguin
- › Schiit Audio Vali 2 by DeeKay10
- › AKG K92 | Over Ear Closed Back Monitoring Headphone by SaturnVuk
- › ORIVETI NEW PRIMACY - Premium Triple Driver Hybrid HiFi IEM Headphones by Hisoundfi
- › Accutone Gemini HD by crabdog
- › FiiO F3 Dynamic In-Ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by chompchomps
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear