Lyr --> HE-500 no question..
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMB Labs Beta22tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productAudio-gd FUN Basic DAC / Headphone Amptagged by System, 12/23/10
- productAudio-gd NFB-10tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productBottlehead Crack OTLtagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 12/23/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 12/23/10
- productMusical Fidelity X-Can v3tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productRSA Hornettagged by System, 6/20/12
- brandSugdentagged by System, 6/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 1/12/15 at 3:42pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Advice on down-sizing Last post on 9/19/12 at 7:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Before I get into my review, some disclosure: I received a free loaner unit as part of a mini North American tour, set up and sponsored by @EmpJ of CTC Audio. I got to keep the unit for a...
First off, I want to thank Brainwavz and Audrey for this BLU-100 unit. Packaging and Accessories I received the BLU-100 before its release and it came in the Brainwavz iem case without...
These have been the best headphones I have used for $99. For the few weeks they worked, it was amazing. Unfortunately, after a few weeks, the right earcup detached from the headband. They seem to...
It was a long time since I orignally intended to write this review as I wanted to check black Velvet in addition to the Crystal velvet I've had. You can find a lot of impression on Head-fi...
The ATH-CK9’s were purchased by me and I’m not in any way affiliated with Audio-Technica. Built and accessories: The ATH-CKR9 is a dual dynamic IEM featuring two 13mm drivers. The drivers are...
Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones - Page 118post #1756 of 41019/18/13 at 6:01pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1757 of 41019/18/13 at 7:20pmpost #1758 of 41019/18/13 at 7:41pmQuote:
Not much of a fair comparison, I'd take a HE-500 driver out of a vintage over the HE-500 and soloist pair.post #1759 of 41019/18/13 at 7:48pmpost #1760 of 41019/18/13 at 7:49pmpost #1761 of 41019/18/13 at 7:52pmpost #1762 of 41019/18/13 at 8:02pmpost #1763 of 41019/18/13 at 8:09pmQuote:
Eh, well that is not the point I was aiming for though. Just the headphone out of a Marantz SR4023, which I did not think was a very well respected amp. Well also I would of course take the HE-6 over the HE-500 both out of the Soloist.post #1764 of 41019/18/13 at 8:19pmpost #1765 of 41019/18/13 at 8:29pmQuote:
Ah, well I'll clarify then:
HE-6/Vintage Unit > HE-500/Vintage unit > HE-500/Soloist
The SR4023 is definitely a newer unit. The headphone amplifier on the front of these units is a totally different implementation than the older ones.post #1766 of 41019/18/13 at 8:46pmQuote:
I know, that is why I clarified, although I never said vintage to begin with.I am curious though, as it was left out of your preference order; HE-6/Soloist vs. HE-500/Soloist?post #1767 of 41019/18/13 at 9:01pmQuote:Originally Posted by Gneiss
I know, that is why I clarified, although I never said vintage to begin with.I am curious though, as it was left out of your preference order; HE-6/Soloist vs. HE-500/Soloist?
Ooops! That's what I get for reading and responding to multiple threads at a time
IMO, the HE-500 was an easier listening experience w/ the Soloist. My HE-6 always sounded a little rough on the treble and didn't have enough bass impact down low with the Soloist. I've heard mixed reviews on the HE-6 w/ the Soloist, but that's my take. I also think there is some variation with the HE-6 drivers over time, so that may also be contributing
Seems like you're a little stuck on the Soloist. When I had one, I didn't really dig it all that much with the Hifiman. I didn't really dig it with a lot of phones unfortunately, but if you ever get a chance with a pair of T1s, whew. Let's just say after I sold the Soloist, I later sold the T1s. No amplifier could really make them sound as good.post #1768 of 41019/18/13 at 9:31pm
Ha ha well the T1 is what I listen to the most often! Although sad to hear that that is the end of the road in your view, as I am getting fed up with the attenuator on the Soloist. I was planning on getting the Ragnarok to power everything.post #1769 of 41019/18/13 at 9:37pmQuote:Hah! That's actually why I sold it ultimately. I understand why they have it in there, but imagine with my Denon D7000. It was awful. I still hesitant to change the volume even on my Matrix M-stage. I'm scarred for life.Who knows what the Rag will bring, but for me, when I tried the T1s on just about every other amplifier I had access, they just didn't have that synergy I found with the Soloist. I'm pretty excited for the Rag, not because I'll get one, but because I think I'll grab an used Mjolnir
- Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 1 minute ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 1 minute ago
- › VE - A New and Impressive Earbuds Brand 1 minute ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 2 minutes ago
- › which audio technica is the warmest and best bass 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 3 minutes ago
- › CanJam London 2015 Is Official! August 29-30, 2015! 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 5 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 5 minutes ago
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by hakushondaimao
- › Brainwavz BLU-100 Bluetooth IEMs by kova4a
- › Grado Labs SR80e by SeraphSolus
- › EarSonics Velvet by LMka
- › Audio-Technica In-Ear Headphones ATH-CKR9 (Japan Import) by peter123
- › Ultimate Ears super.fi 3 Studio - Headphones ( in-ear ear-bud ) -... by Lewzke
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by chowmein83
- › Alclair Curve by Brooko
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by wofsie
- › Etymotic Research HF5 Portable In-Ear Earphones by Chiek
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2