Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones - Page 84

post #1246 of 3158
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post

Yes the 4 board B22 has higher output, the single ended b22 = 18W @ 8 ohm, and the balance is 50W @ 8 ohm.

 

I just happen to prefer the dynalo (gs1) and dynamid (gs X) to the 2 board and 4 board b22 respectively (with the Hd800). I'm sure there'll be others preferring the opposite.

well..i´m really curious about dynalo and dynamid but i agree with you about beta and hd-800

post #1247 of 3158

I bet this would sound excellent with the HE6:

 

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/tube-carver-black-magic-20-integrated-amplifier-by-bob-carver-special-offering-2013-04-16-integrateds-85260-scottsdale-az

post #1248 of 3158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cante Ista View Post

thanks khaine1711! Does not sound like a lot, but def not too bad either -- on paper. Beta is one of these amps I have been admiring from afar based on others' posts. I hope i have a chance to hear it for myself. 

 

I'll bring mine to the meet.  You can compare the 4 board B22, the GS-X mkII, the F1J, and the F3.  I hope the Mojlnir will make it there.  

 

What I've found is that the B22 is severely under rated.  However, yes the HD800 is a better match with the GS-X mkII.  But the B22 is a great all arounder for an amp.  

post #1249 of 3158
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

I'll bring mine to the meet.  You can compare the 4 board B22, the GS-X mkII, the F1J, and the F3.  I hope the Mojlnir will make it there.  

 

What I've found is that the B22 is severely under rated.  However, yes the HD800 is a better match with the GS-X mkII.  But the B22 is a great all arounder for an amp.  

AWESOME!! 

Thanks Darryl. I am really looking forward to that.

post #1250 of 3158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cante Ista View Post

AWESOME!! 

Thanks Darryl. I am really looking forward to that.

i´m envious.  U.S.A. is so fardeadhorse.gif

post #1251 of 3158
Quote:
Originally Posted by alota View Post

i´m envious.  U.S.A. is so fardeadhorse.gif

 

Perhaps, this is meant as an opportunity for you to fire up your local community... and show them the way. wink_face.gif

post #1252 of 3158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

 

Perhaps, this is meant as an opportunity for you to fire up your local community... and show them the way. wink_face.gif

LOL, you say this because you don´t know my local communitybiggrin.gif

jokes aside, U.S.A. is another level, no doubt with this

post #1253 of 3158

Yes. But it can start with a single grass-root effort. And the community here? We got :thumb: your back! Though, admittedly... this could take awhile. 

post #1254 of 3158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

Yes. But it can start with a single grass-root effort. And the community here? We got :thumb: your back! Though, admittedly... this could take awhile. 

yes, a long long long long long timebiggrin.gif

post #1255 of 3158

schiit lyr and 3 channel beta 22 cannot drive the he 6 properly. not by a long shot. I've had the he 6 for almost a month and I d'ont use them at all. I use my he 500 instead. when I first received them I was very happy and all but reality has quickly struck me. these headphones need at least twice the lyr power and I am done wasting my time with dedicated headphone amps. the he 6 are ok with the lyr but barely. and these are the only amps I got.

 

I have a CablePro Vitality Banana to 1/4" Headphone Jack adapter from ttvj en route to my home. and an exposure 2010s2 integrated amp soon to follow. I will plug the he 6 directly.

 

now I know why some people prefer the he 500 or even say the he 500 sound better than the he 6. it's because they have listened to it or reviewed it with barely adequate amplification.  and most of the headphones amps on the marquet are not adequate at all or barely adequate.

 

even the hifiman he 6 owners guide that come in the box talk about speaker amplifiers. at page 7 of the guide.

 

chapter 6 of setup and operation.

 

and the few amps capable of driving the he 6 adequately on the market are overpriced most of the time.

 

there is a 720 megawatts hydroelectric central 5 minutes away from my home. I was thinking of hooking up my he 6 to the terminals of that thing. maybe this time it will be enough.

post #1256 of 3158
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikfreedom View Post

schiit lyr and 3 channel beta 22 cannot drive the he 6 properly. not by a long shot. I've had the he 6 for almost a month and I d'ont use them at all. I use my he 500 instead. when I first received them I was very happy and all but reality has quickly struck me. these headphones need at least twice the lyr power and I am done wasting my time with dedicated headphone amps. the he 6 are ok with the lyr but barely. and these are the only amps I got.

 

I have a CablePro Vitality Banana to 1/4" Headphone Jack adapter from ttvj en route to my home. and an exposure 2010s2 integrated amp soon to follow. I will plug the he 6 directly.

 

now I know why some people prefer the he 500 or even say the he 500 sound better than the he 6. it's because they have listened to it or reviewed it with barely adequate amplification.  and most of the headphones amps on the marquet are not adequate at all or barely adequate.

 

even the hifiman he 6 owners guide that come in the box talk about speaker amplifiers. at page 7 of the guide.

 

chapter 6 of setup and operation.

 

and the few amps capable of driving the he 6 adequately on the market are overpriced most of the time.

 

there is a 720 megawatts hydroelectric central 5 minutes away from my home. I was thinking of hooking up my he 6 to the terminals of that thing. maybe this time it will be enough.

Have you checked that your amp can handle 1/4 inch to speaker terminals? Most amps will burn out if you use such an adapter. Usually you should use balanced out on the headphone side to keep the ground separate. It is my understanding that amps which can handle 1/4 inch to speakers are rare.

post #1257 of 3158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cante Ista View Post

Have you checked that your amp can handle 1/4 inch to speaker terminals? Most amps will burn out if you use such an adapter. Usually you should use balanced out on the headphone side to keep the ground separate. It is my understanding that amps which can handle 1/4 inch to speakers are rare.

I will take the ttvj cable and I will modify it. I already checked the hifiman cable and it is not complicated at all.


Edited by erikfreedom - 5/22/13 at 12:51pm
post #1258 of 3158

Cross Post:

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by  View Post

@preproman

Which amps other than the one in your rig that you've enjoyed with HE-6?

 

The Mjolnir = OK

The GS-X mkII = OK

The BHA-1 = Not good

The Balanced B22 = OK

The Emotiva a-100 = on the better side of OK - pretty good.

Emotiva UPA-1s mono blocks = Good- better than the a-100

Rotel RMB-100 mono blocks = Good better than the a-100 on the same level as the UPA-1s with less of a sound stage.

Beta 24 speaker amp = Good - not as good as either of the mono blocks

Sim Audio Moon 600i / 700i Integrated Amps = The best I've ever heard (went to the audio store)  cost way to much money.

PrimaLuna Tube power amp and integrated amps = Did just OK

Audio GD Master 3 = very good / warm, intimate less airy and open smaller sound stage when compared to the F1J.

First Watt F1J = The best I've heard that I can afford.  Paired with the PWD mkII is really awesome.  

 

IMO

post #1259 of 3158

Having sold my Bryston BHA-1 because is wasn't able to drive HE-6 at it's best...

 

At this moment i'm using integrated amplifier to drive HE-6 but I'll hope my new Hifiman EF-6 will get the best out of my HE-6. I think with dedicated headphone-amp I'll enjoy HE-6 even more. Mainly because increase in user-friendliness! I just want to use my integrated amplifier for my speaker-setup. But as said before, the new headphone-amp will have a hard job to beat current setup.

 

I'll hope I have the answers on my thoughts soon...

post #1260 of 3158

PAM005, what integrated amp are you using now to power the HE-6?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones