Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones - Page 83

post #1231 of 3211

It's really easy. Basically you just strip wire, insert into banana plug, screw the banana plugs x8 times. Shrink tube for purty purpose if you want =p

 

Or you can do the 70s ways, strip wire and tie that directly to the binding post. Best connectors = no connectors; the only downsize is that depends on humidity and other factors, you may have to  apply dioxide once in a while.

post #1232 of 3211
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerkg13 View Post

Khaine 1711.Thanks a lot, very helpful advice. Yes, the pictures do help a lot. If I am brave enough I might even try to make one myself . . . Here in HI there is only one hifi store as far as I can tell and the person does not do custom jobs.

 

Here's some relatively inexpensive companies for speaker cable/jumpers:

http://www.signalcable.com/speaker_cables.html

http://anticables.com/

http://www.morrowaudio.com/speakercables.htm

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm

 

Blue Jeans Cable would be the cheapest.  Anticables would be next and perform well, but they're a little inflexible - they're kind of a "set it and forget it" option and shouldn't be moved around much.  I'd give a strong rec. to Frank at Signal Cable.  His most expensive option would be < $200 for a set of 4' speaker cables, and he has other options under $100.  I'm sure he could make jumpers if you didn't want the length.  He's also started to make custom headphone cables.  Even then, there are still plenty of options on eBay that will perform well enough and are cheap (a quick search gave me plenty of options starting at ~$10).  Good luck.

post #1233 of 3211

Wow! You guys are so helpful. Thank you so much!!

post #1234 of 3211

The 6 will be here tomorrow! I'm so excited. Been running my he-400's off speaker taps for the past few weeks to great results, it really opens them up. Running them straight off 115 wpc taps and haven't managed to blow them up yet. Will report back when I get them. I have a Sansui 771 and DH-220 to test them on. Nothing really to compare them to since I'm moving from he-400 + asus xonar essence which was really grainy since I like to listen really loud and run them on ultra high gain. Never going back to that again though.


Edited by Marise - 5/10/13 at 6:22am
post #1235 of 3211
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzerdave View Post

 

Here's some relatively inexpensive companies for speaker cable/jumpers:

http://www.signalcable.com/speaker_cables.html

http://anticables.com/

http://www.morrowaudio.com/speakercables.htm

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm

 

Blue Jeans Cable would be the cheapest.  Anticables would be next and perform well, but they're a little inflexible - they're kind of a "set it and forget it" option and shouldn't be moved around much.  I'd give a strong rec. to Frank at Signal Cable.  His most expensive option would be < $200 for a set of 4' speaker cables, and he has other options under $100.  I'm sure he could make jumpers if you didn't want the length.  He's also started to make custom headphone cables.  Even then, there are still plenty of options on eBay that will perform well enough and are cheap (a quick search gave me plenty of options starting at ~$10).  Good luck.

 

^^  good recommendations !!

post #1236 of 3211

Still don't see why anyone would want to use a 200W+ amp on the HE-6s.  That is so far beyond their stated parameters that damage would seem inevitable - either to the drivers or to your ears.  Not to mention the audible compromise of using a volume pot at its steepest attenuation.  As has been thumped here over and over, it's not wattage per se, but quality wattage and, more importantly, current.  Keep that in mind.  Go for an amp first and foremost that has your desired sonic signature, not a set of numbers.  As long as its not flea-wattage, this will sound better than 1000W of cheap ICE power...

post #1237 of 3211

now, i listened the he-6 with my new beta-22 and i´m really happy

post #1238 of 3211
Quote:
Originally Posted by fejnomit View Post

Still don't see why anyone would want to use a 200W+ amp on the HE-6s.  That is so far beyond their stated parameters that damage would seem inevitable - either to the drivers or to your ears.  Not to mention the audible compromise of using a volume pot at its steepest attenuation.  As has been thumped here over and over, it's not wattage per se, but quality wattage and, more importantly, current.  Keep that in mind.  Go for an amp first and foremost that has your desired sonic signature, not a set of numbers.  As long as its not flea-wattage, this will sound better than 1000W of cheap ICE power...
That 200w is certainly too much though they have been used. I'd say a plentiful power supply can get away with a lot less wattage but the more powerful amps give you more headroom for dynamics. You will only use what is needed for the db you are wanting, not the entire range of the amp. I can use about 3/4 the volume pot for my amps. They can be damaging to the driver if used incorrectly. I've learned the hard way. Just be careful with the volume knob. Darryl used 200w monoblocks for a while until he bought a F1(J). It's 10w but high current output. So far, the best amp I've heard the 6 on is a 125 watt Simaudio. It was noticeably better than the 55 and 80 watt units. Wider soundstage with pinpoint imaging and hard, tight bass. I attribute this to the better power supply, not necessarily more power.
post #1239 of 3211
Quote:
Originally Posted by alota View Post

now, i listened the he-6 with my new beta-22 and i´m really happy

beta 22 is amazing with he 6. very good match. mine has been stored for the past month. I have been enjoying it since last night. I thought that he 6 would be a waste of time with it. boy was I wrong. so much better sound than the lyr.

post #1240 of 3211
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikfreedom View Post

beta 22 is amazing with he 6. very good match. mine has been stored for the past month. I have been enjoying it since last night. I thought that he 6 would be a waste of time with it. boy was I wrong. so much better sound than the lyr.


So what does the Beta output into the He6 load? It is my understanding that it is not nearly as powerful as a speaker amp, but it has been demonstrated before that it is quality over quantity. I sounds like this could be another example of this.

 

I have not heard this work of art so I am asking out of pure curiosity. I would be interested to hear the HE6 with it, since recently I have come across quite a bit of negative impressions with the HD800 (my other fav HPs).

post #1241 of 3211

If I remember right, the B22+Sigma22 is around 2-3W @ 50 ohm. 

 

Quality and synergy mostly; I did not like the B22 Hd800 combo either; sounds a bit boring to me. You could do better with spending 1k on a 3 channel b22 to amp the hd800 (or the he-6 for that matter) imo.

post #1242 of 3211
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post

If I remember right, the B22+Sigma22 is around 2-3W @ 50 ohm. 

 

Quality and synergy mostly; I did not like the B22 Hd800 combo either; sounds a bit boring to me. You could do better with spending 1k on a 3 channel b22 to amp the hd800 (or the he-6 for that matter) imo.

thanks khaine1711! Does not sound like a lot, but def not too bad either -- on paper. Beta is one of these amps I have been admiring from afar based on others' posts. I hope i have a chance to hear it for myself. 

post #1243 of 3211
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post

If I remember right, the B22+Sigma22 is around 2-3W @ 50 ohm. 

 

Quality and synergy mostly; I did not like the B22 Hd800 combo either; sounds a bit boring to me. You could do better with spending 1k on a 3 channel b22 to amp the hd800 (or the he-6 for that matter) imo.

i had and i have only a balanced beta.ín this configuration the power output is higher but the hd-800 continue a little boringbiggrin.gif

with he-6 the definition is really good

post #1244 of 3211

Copying over from another thread, I've been comparing between some mini desktop systems to drive the HE-6.

Nuforce stack 1: Icon2 (power amp) + HDP (dac) + LPS (power upgrade)

Nuforce stack 2: DAC (dac) + HAP (preamp) + STA-100 (power amp)

Centrance PX (all in one)

 

My shortened notes for the moment:

 

Quote:

Icon2 only = amazing value, most compact (size of a book)

Icon2 + HDP + LPS = better dac and overall cleaner sound than above, but big added cost and complexity, most impact

DAC + HAP + STA-100 = most aggressive, most expensive, biggest featureset

Centrance PX = as a single unit it's better than Icon2 by itself, neutral sound, most compact after Icon2

post #1245 of 3211
Quote:
Originally Posted by alota View Post

i had and i have only a balanced beta.ín this configuration the power output is higher but the hd-800 continue a little boringbiggrin.gif

with he-6 the definition is really good

Yes the 4 board B22 has higher output, the single ended b22 = 18W @ 8 ohm, and the balance is 50W @ 8 ohm.

 

I just happen to prefer the dynalo (gs1) and dynamid (gs X) to the 2 board and 4 board b22 respectively (with the Hd800). I'm sure there'll be others preferring the opposite.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones