^^yea welli just need the DAC...more amping on these will blow my eardrums! and E7 will amp a bit anyway..its not like they wont amp at all rite?
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 3/14/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 3/14/11
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 12/21/10
Related Forum Threads
- Need help finding over ear headphones please! Last post on 9/4/12 at 5:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for good over the ear headphones Last post on 8/13/12 at 6:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Choosing over ear headphones under $200 Last post on 7/17/12 at 2:00pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Good over ear headphones for under $200. What's the best? Last post on 1/27/13 at 9:31pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Bass Headphones Help! (About $150 budget) Last post on 6/1/14 at 9:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Introduction I have owned these headphones for four years now. These were my first decent pair that I researched before buying. Before this I had just bought inexpensive headphones that happened...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we're going to be checking out a wireless Bluetooth speaker from Archeer, the A320. Archeer sells a pretty wide variety of products like cellphone cases, headphones,...
Introduction – Everyone knows earbuds, those cheap, tinny sounding throwaways included with almost every mp3 player. So then, it may come as a surprise that earbuds are making a comeback and not...
The Oriveti BASIC: A dark and inviting entry-level offering into higher level audio BASIC was provided to me free of charge in exchange for feedback and review -- I am in no way affiliated with...
Focal Utopia By: Dillan Archer Photographs by: Regan Hulvey Introduction I have spent the greater part of my evenings the last few days (and this morning) listening and...
Thank You Headfi! Got my SONY MDR XB700..loving it! - Page 2post #16 of 3412/21/10 at 9:03amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 3412/21/10 at 9:06am
the e5 and e7 will of course amplify sound, thats what they are made to do. just don't expect a huge increase from what your ipod and computer already do. i could easily max out the e5 when used with my smartphone and xb500's., but it was still louder than the smartphone was by itself..
post #18 of 3412/21/10 at 9:17amThread Starterpost #19 of 3412/21/10 at 9:18amQuote:
March. And it's just an amp. Oh, and an amp doesn't just make it louder. Think of premium fuel in a sports car vs regular fuel.
Edited by Ishcabible - 12/21/10 at 9:22ampost #20 of 3412/21/10 at 9:20ampost #21 of 3412/21/10 at 9:21ampost #22 of 3412/21/10 at 9:22am
Amping isn't just about volume. A powerful amp will tighten up areas on headphones, like making bass punchier and more controlled. Straight volume boosting seems to be the most common misconception about amping. The XB700 is dreadfully loud without any amp.post #23 of 3412/21/10 at 9:28amThread Starter
alrite thanks for all the valuable input...will get E7 only then..any of u have any idea what is the full burning time of XB 700 ? and do i have to keep them on for all those hours or it burns everytime i use them after a long break?post #24 of 3412/21/10 at 9:31amQuote:
Well XB500 shouldn't be amped in first place not with a E5 at least (bass boost setting will mudden up sound masking fine details and flat setting will take away its soul), it'll only provide worse result. XB700 is a completely different animal though.post #25 of 3412/21/10 at 9:48amThread Starter
ok so will E9 improve my SQ as much as E7 ? basically i want more sound qualiy and clarity..so i assume a DAC/AMP [E7] will do it better than just an amp i.e E9
AND what about the burning time on these? how much time it requires?
Edited by ethan3686 - 12/21/10 at 9:53ampost #26 of 3412/21/10 at 10:04am
Tweaking EQ is easiest and cheapest way to improve the sound quality & clarity, I think they did sound pretty clear and close to their full potential out of box though without EQing but the mids are somewhat recessed and it lacks some punch in the bass so I'd start by boosting the 125 - 2kHz range (biggest boost at 1 - 2kHz) and then move on to the highs and try increase those slightly to see if it will bring an improvement.
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 12/21/10 at 10:15ampost #27 of 3412/21/10 at 10:12amThread Starterpost #28 of 3412/21/10 at 10:26am
I don't use winamp cuz foobar2000 is better, especially when you add dolby headphone plugin to it as well. If you want to try for yourself try this preconfigured foobar2000 config by me (It's not EQd for XB700 though, I've only adjusted the EQ in it to balance out the sound what dolby headphone plugin changes which is quite a lot of added deep bass which I adjusted out so it should sound roughly close to what winamp does unEQd for example): http://cid-87ed83e2c9fd453c.office.live.com/self.aspx/Public/foobar2000.zip - You only need to extract it somewhere and everything will be setup as it should (if no output is heard then you may have to change output device in foobar2000 config).
Winamp use the standard 10-band EQ setup meaning the bands are: 31Hz, 62Hz, 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 4kHz, 8kHz and 16kHz from left to right.
foobar2000 uses a 18-band EQ and it says which band is which there and it works a lot better than winamp's EQ which quickly distorts sound.
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 12/21/10 at 10:29ampost #29 of 3412/21/10 at 10:32am
- Thank You Headfi! Got my SONY MDR XB700..loving it!
- Headphone Impedance
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 27 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 34 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 42 seconds ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 47 seconds ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Is my cable balanced 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Recommendations for new DAP under $900 (but NOT the Questyle QP1R)? 1 minute ago
- › FS: Beyerdynamic T1 Gen 2 /w Balance Cable & New Pads 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 vs Shure SE846 2 minutes ago
- › AKG K240 MKII Headphones by Napalmhardcore
- › ARCHEER 25W Bluetooth Home Speakers with Huge Bass and Superior... by B9Scrambler
- › 1MORE1008 Earbud by ryanjsoo
- › ORIVETI BASIC - Whole Aluminium Body, High Fidelity, Cable... by ustinj
- › Focal Utopia by Dillan
- › Shure SRH840 by Russell Folland
- › Seahf Metal Housing In-Ear Earbuds Headphones Noise Cancelling... by Byran
- › Fostex TH500RP by bagwell359
- › FLC Technology FLC 8S by Hisoundfi
- › Meze 99 Classics by dany111777
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear