^^yea welli just need the DAC...more amping on these will blow my eardrums! and E7 will amp a bit anyway..its not like they wont amp at all rite?
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 3/14/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 3/14/11
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 12/21/10
Related Forum Threads
- Need help finding over ear headphones please! Last post on 9/4/12 at 5:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for good over the ear headphones Last post on 8/13/12 at 6:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Choosing over ear headphones under $200 Last post on 7/17/12 at 2:00pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Good over ear headphones for under $200. What's the best? Last post on 1/27/13 at 9:31pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Bass Headphones Help! (About $150 budget) Last post on 6/1/14 at 9:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
First of all I would like to thank the team at www.hifiheadphones.co.uk for the review sample I had the opportunity to test out and to write a bit about it. This is a good sounding music player...
I’ll be honest. When I was offered a review unit of the Turbines, I was not really looking forward to reviewing them. The CGI render of the Turbines that Ghostek commonly uses for promotion...
Review: Cleer DU High Definition Dual-Driver Headphone Introduction It was a brisk day in a suburb of Chicago, Illinois. I attended AXPONA, which is the Audio Expo North...
The ED9 is overall a good and very funny iem from China. build + design: The metal housing shows confidence and it looks like it won't break for a long time. I did like the looks...
(Player: Cowon Plenue D ; Earphone: JH5) Before I start, I must say that this was not the beginning of my experience with the brand cables. I own the Ares cable also (first model) and make...
Thank You Headfi! Got my SONY MDR XB700..loving it! - Page 2post #16 of 3412/21/10 at 9:03amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 3412/21/10 at 9:06am
the e5 and e7 will of course amplify sound, thats what they are made to do. just don't expect a huge increase from what your ipod and computer already do. i could easily max out the e5 when used with my smartphone and xb500's., but it was still louder than the smartphone was by itself..
post #18 of 3412/21/10 at 9:17amThread Starterpost #19 of 3412/21/10 at 9:18amQuote:
March. And it's just an amp. Oh, and an amp doesn't just make it louder. Think of premium fuel in a sports car vs regular fuel.
Edited by Ishcabible - 12/21/10 at 9:22ampost #20 of 3412/21/10 at 9:20ampost #21 of 3412/21/10 at 9:21ampost #22 of 3412/21/10 at 9:22am
Amping isn't just about volume. A powerful amp will tighten up areas on headphones, like making bass punchier and more controlled. Straight volume boosting seems to be the most common misconception about amping. The XB700 is dreadfully loud without any amp.post #23 of 3412/21/10 at 9:28amThread Starter
alrite thanks for all the valuable input...will get E7 only then..any of u have any idea what is the full burning time of XB 700 ? and do i have to keep them on for all those hours or it burns everytime i use them after a long break?post #24 of 3412/21/10 at 9:31amQuote:
Well XB500 shouldn't be amped in first place not with a E5 at least (bass boost setting will mudden up sound masking fine details and flat setting will take away its soul), it'll only provide worse result. XB700 is a completely different animal though.post #25 of 3412/21/10 at 9:48amThread Starter
ok so will E9 improve my SQ as much as E7 ? basically i want more sound qualiy and clarity..so i assume a DAC/AMP [E7] will do it better than just an amp i.e E9
AND what about the burning time on these? how much time it requires?
Edited by ethan3686 - 12/21/10 at 9:53ampost #26 of 3412/21/10 at 10:04am
Tweaking EQ is easiest and cheapest way to improve the sound quality & clarity, I think they did sound pretty clear and close to their full potential out of box though without EQing but the mids are somewhat recessed and it lacks some punch in the bass so I'd start by boosting the 125 - 2kHz range (biggest boost at 1 - 2kHz) and then move on to the highs and try increase those slightly to see if it will bring an improvement.
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 12/21/10 at 10:15ampost #27 of 3412/21/10 at 10:12amThread Starterpost #28 of 3412/21/10 at 10:26am
I don't use winamp cuz foobar2000 is better, especially when you add dolby headphone plugin to it as well. If you want to try for yourself try this preconfigured foobar2000 config by me (It's not EQd for XB700 though, I've only adjusted the EQ in it to balance out the sound what dolby headphone plugin changes which is quite a lot of added deep bass which I adjusted out so it should sound roughly close to what winamp does unEQd for example): http://cid-87ed83e2c9fd453c.office.live.com/self.aspx/Public/foobar2000.zip - You only need to extract it somewhere and everything will be setup as it should (if no output is heard then you may have to change output device in foobar2000 config).
Winamp use the standard 10-band EQ setup meaning the bands are: 31Hz, 62Hz, 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 4kHz, 8kHz and 16kHz from left to right.
foobar2000 uses a 18-band EQ and it says which band is which there and it works a lot better than winamp's EQ which quickly distorts sound.
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 12/21/10 at 10:29ampost #29 of 3412/21/10 at 10:32am
- Thank You Headfi! Got my SONY MDR XB700..loving it!
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › All things Metrum Acoustics 23 seconds ago
- › LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 1 minute ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 1 minute ago
- › Official Free FLAC File Music Sharing Thread 2 minutes ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 3 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 3 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 4 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 5 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! 5 minutes ago
- › Audio-Opus Opus#1 by musicday
- › Wired 3.5MM Headphones Earphones, Ghostek® Turbine Series Wired... by Cinder
- › Cleer DU High-Definition Dual Driver Headphone by moedawg140
- › KZ ED9 Tunning Nozzles In-Ear Headphones by thingol
- › Effect Audio Thor Coper IEM Upgrade Cable by Vitor Valeri
- › ZhiYin QT5 by Brooko
- › Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac Over-Ear Headphones by ekolite
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by slowpickr
- › Ghostek GHOHP001 Wireless Bluetooth Headphones, soDrop Series aptX... by Cinder
- › MEE audio M7P Secure-Fit Sports In-Ear Headphones with Mic, Remote,... by suman134
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...