^^yea welli just need the DAC...more amping on these will blow my eardrums! and E7 will amp a bit anyway..its not like they wont amp at all rite?
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 3/14/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 3/14/11
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 12/21/10
Related Forum Threads
- Need help finding over ear headphones please! Last post on 9/4/12 at 5:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for good over the ear headphones Last post on 8/13/12 at 6:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Choosing over ear headphones under $200 Last post on 7/17/12 at 2:00pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Good over ear headphones for under $200. What's the best? Last post on 1/27/13 at 9:31pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Bass Headphones Help! (About $150 budget) Last post on 6/1/14 at 9:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I borrowed these from a friend as a trial and I can see why he likes them, unfortunately I do not. Let me elaborate on this as it's no justification at all to dismiss these earphone because I...
My main review is here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/752588/review-earwerkz-supra-the-universal-custom-in-ear-monitor. This will house the TL;DR version: From the comfort, custom-like fit,...
Couldn't find much on the internet about these, so I took the plunge. Pros: Nice aesthetics Solid build quality Cheaper than Bose equivalent, looks and feels nicer,...
I don't claim to be an expert audiophile. More of a wannabe. I do love finding under the radar headphones with good value. I can compare this to a few other bluetooth headsets I have spent some...
Brainwavz M1 Quick Review Thanks to mp4nation back in the day for the sample. Full length old review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/499583/brainwavz-m1-review Brief: Old but...
Thank You Headfi! Got my SONY MDR XB700..loving it! - Page 2post #16 of 3412/21/10 at 9:03amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 3412/21/10 at 9:06am
the e5 and e7 will of course amplify sound, thats what they are made to do. just don't expect a huge increase from what your ipod and computer already do. i could easily max out the e5 when used with my smartphone and xb500's., but it was still louder than the smartphone was by itself..
post #18 of 3412/21/10 at 9:17amThread Starterpost #19 of 3412/21/10 at 9:18amQuote:
March. And it's just an amp. Oh, and an amp doesn't just make it louder. Think of premium fuel in a sports car vs regular fuel.
Edited by Ishcabible - 12/21/10 at 9:22ampost #20 of 3412/21/10 at 9:20ampost #21 of 3412/21/10 at 9:21ampost #22 of 3412/21/10 at 9:22am
Amping isn't just about volume. A powerful amp will tighten up areas on headphones, like making bass punchier and more controlled. Straight volume boosting seems to be the most common misconception about amping. The XB700 is dreadfully loud without any amp.post #23 of 3412/21/10 at 9:28amThread Starter
alrite thanks for all the valuable input...will get E7 only then..any of u have any idea what is the full burning time of XB 700 ? and do i have to keep them on for all those hours or it burns everytime i use them after a long break?post #24 of 3412/21/10 at 9:31amQuote:
Well XB500 shouldn't be amped in first place not with a E5 at least (bass boost setting will mudden up sound masking fine details and flat setting will take away its soul), it'll only provide worse result. XB700 is a completely different animal though.post #25 of 3412/21/10 at 9:48amThread Starter
ok so will E9 improve my SQ as much as E7 ? basically i want more sound qualiy and clarity..so i assume a DAC/AMP [E7] will do it better than just an amp i.e E9
AND what about the burning time on these? how much time it requires?
Edited by ethan3686 - 12/21/10 at 9:53ampost #26 of 3412/21/10 at 10:04am
Tweaking EQ is easiest and cheapest way to improve the sound quality & clarity, I think they did sound pretty clear and close to their full potential out of box though without EQing but the mids are somewhat recessed and it lacks some punch in the bass so I'd start by boosting the 125 - 2kHz range (biggest boost at 1 - 2kHz) and then move on to the highs and try increase those slightly to see if it will bring an improvement.
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 12/21/10 at 10:15ampost #27 of 3412/21/10 at 10:12amThread Starterpost #28 of 3412/21/10 at 10:26am
I don't use winamp cuz foobar2000 is better, especially when you add dolby headphone plugin to it as well. If you want to try for yourself try this preconfigured foobar2000 config by me (It's not EQd for XB700 though, I've only adjusted the EQ in it to balance out the sound what dolby headphone plugin changes which is quite a lot of added deep bass which I adjusted out so it should sound roughly close to what winamp does unEQd for example): http://cid-87ed83e2c9fd453c.office.live.com/self.aspx/Public/foobar2000.zip - You only need to extract it somewhere and everything will be setup as it should (if no output is heard then you may have to change output device in foobar2000 config).
Winamp use the standard 10-band EQ setup meaning the bands are: 31Hz, 62Hz, 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 4kHz, 8kHz and 16kHz from left to right.
foobar2000 uses a 18-band EQ and it says which band is which there and it works a lot better than winamp's EQ which quickly distorts sound.
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 12/21/10 at 10:29ampost #29 of 3412/21/10 at 10:32am
- Thank You Headfi! Got my SONY MDR XB700..loving it!
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro or AKG 240K mkII 59 seconds ago
- › Chord Hugo 1 minute ago
- › xDuoo X2 - small lossless player with microSD and OLED! 1 minute ago
- › ASUS Xonar Essence STX II 2 minutes ago
- › Centrance upcoming product for Iphone 5 above and Ipod Touch 5 : Hi... 4 minutes ago
- › Best Headphones, or Earbuds Under $30 4 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 6 minutes ago
- › Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser 170 (wireless); faint whine that can be eliminated 6 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 7 minutes ago
- › JVC HA-FX750 Wood Dome Unit Earphone by dnun8086
- › EarWerkz Supra by moedawg140
- › House of Marley - LEGEND ANC by White Lotus
- › Audio Technica S700BT by ironicinori
- › MP4Nation Brainwavz M1 by mark2410
- › DUNU DN-12 Trident by Ghoulcow
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKR10 IN-EAR HEADPHONE TITANIUM SONIC PRO DUAL... by acain
- › Woo Audio 2 by mikoss
- › KAM HP1 by LowDose
- › Schiit Vali by Mr Rick
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)