^^yea welli just need the DAC...more amping on these will blow my eardrums! and E7 will amp a bit anyway..its not like they wont amp at all rite?
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 3/14/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 3/14/11
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 12/21/10
Related Forum Threads
- Need help finding over ear headphones please! Last post on 9/4/12 at 5:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for good over the ear headphones Last post on 8/13/12 at 6:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Choosing over ear headphones under $200 Last post on 7/17/12 at 2:00pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Good over ear headphones for under $200. What's the best? Last post on 1/27/13 at 9:31pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Bass Headphones Help! (About $150 budget) Last post on 7/18/12 at 4:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
First off, I would like to thank Noisehush for sending me the NX85's! I'll get into the review now. Packaging: The NX85 come in a sturdy black card board box. It is all black, except the...
The LH Labs Geek Out had a lot to live up to. A good 7+ months ago, the Geek Out started as a concept. This concept was to bring a high quality audio experience into a small and affordable device....
If you like electric music or hip hop rap,this is it,but if you want a more balanced sound you better go for the sennheiser momentum or ue6000.
I am mainly using the Meridian Explorer on the road, from laptop. Setup is painless on Mac and Linux. Note that on Linux, it is worth checking the gain settings in alsamixer (only once is...
I would like to acknowledge that I'm actually reviewing T51i model of these headphones - identical to T51p with addition of in-line remote/mic. I received these for review purpose from...
Thank You Headfi! Got my SONY MDR XB700..loving it! - Page 2post #16 of 3412/21/10 at 9:03amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 3412/21/10 at 9:06am
the e5 and e7 will of course amplify sound, thats what they are made to do. just don't expect a huge increase from what your ipod and computer already do. i could easily max out the e5 when used with my smartphone and xb500's., but it was still louder than the smartphone was by itself..
post #18 of 3412/21/10 at 9:17amThread Starterpost #19 of 3412/21/10 at 9:18amQuote:
March. And it's just an amp. Oh, and an amp doesn't just make it louder. Think of premium fuel in a sports car vs regular fuel.
Edited by Ishcabible - 12/21/10 at 9:22ampost #20 of 3412/21/10 at 9:20ampost #21 of 3412/21/10 at 9:21ampost #22 of 3412/21/10 at 9:22am
Amping isn't just about volume. A powerful amp will tighten up areas on headphones, like making bass punchier and more controlled. Straight volume boosting seems to be the most common misconception about amping. The XB700 is dreadfully loud without any amp.post #23 of 3412/21/10 at 9:28amThread Starter
alrite thanks for all the valuable input...will get E7 only then..any of u have any idea what is the full burning time of XB 700 ? and do i have to keep them on for all those hours or it burns everytime i use them after a long break?post #24 of 3412/21/10 at 9:31amQuote:
Well XB500 shouldn't be amped in first place not with a E5 at least (bass boost setting will mudden up sound masking fine details and flat setting will take away its soul), it'll only provide worse result. XB700 is a completely different animal though.post #25 of 3412/21/10 at 9:48amThread Starter
ok so will E9 improve my SQ as much as E7 ? basically i want more sound qualiy and clarity..so i assume a DAC/AMP [E7] will do it better than just an amp i.e E9
AND what about the burning time on these? how much time it requires?
Edited by ethan3686 - 12/21/10 at 9:53ampost #26 of 3412/21/10 at 10:04am
Tweaking EQ is easiest and cheapest way to improve the sound quality & clarity, I think they did sound pretty clear and close to their full potential out of box though without EQing but the mids are somewhat recessed and it lacks some punch in the bass so I'd start by boosting the 125 - 2kHz range (biggest boost at 1 - 2kHz) and then move on to the highs and try increase those slightly to see if it will bring an improvement.
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 12/21/10 at 10:15ampost #27 of 3412/21/10 at 10:12amThread Starterpost #28 of 3412/21/10 at 10:26am
I don't use winamp cuz foobar2000 is better, especially when you add dolby headphone plugin to it as well. If you want to try for yourself try this preconfigured foobar2000 config by me (It's not EQd for XB700 though, I've only adjusted the EQ in it to balance out the sound what dolby headphone plugin changes which is quite a lot of added deep bass which I adjusted out so it should sound roughly close to what winamp does unEQd for example): http://cid-87ed83e2c9fd453c.office.live.com/self.aspx/Public/foobar2000.zip - You only need to extract it somewhere and everything will be setup as it should (if no output is heard then you may have to change output device in foobar2000 config).
Winamp use the standard 10-band EQ setup meaning the bands are: 31Hz, 62Hz, 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 4kHz, 8kHz and 16kHz from left to right.
foobar2000 uses a 18-band EQ and it says which band is which there and it works a lot better than winamp's EQ which quickly distorts sound.
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 12/21/10 at 10:29ampost #29 of 3412/21/10 at 10:32am
- Thank You Headfi! Got my SONY MDR XB700..loving it!
- Headphone Impedance
- › ROCK-HARD CANADIAN MAPLE HEADPHONES 18 seconds ago
- › Yamaha EPH-100 46 seconds ago
- › Rank the IEM's you've heard 1 minute ago
- › Orthodynamic Roundup 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › Analog Squared Paper Discussion and Appreciation Thread. 2 minutes ago
- › Rank the Headphones that You Own. 3 minutes ago
- › Discussion of a niche 'PURE-Transport' DAP (to serve digital... 4 minutes ago
- › Fostex HP-A8 DAC/Amp and other Fostex gear 5 minutes ago
- › Testing audiophile claims and myths 5 minutes ago
- › NoiseHush NX85 Stereo 3.5mm Headset with Mic - Retail Packaging -... by Mathewsa
- › LHLabs Geek Out by bhazard
- › Monster Inspiration by betterthan1122
- › Meridian Explorer by zolkis
- › Beyerdynamic T51P Tesla Headphone - Silver by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by zach8278
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by White Lotus
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by 2001Audiophile
- › Intopic Jazz i57 IEM by Pastapipo
- › Sennheiser MM 450-X Wireless Bluetooth Headphones by Faber65
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob