Are the ED8 a good all around can? I listen to a wide variety of music and wonder if the cost of this headphone would be justified to replace multiple sets. I like the form factor for transportability. My main concern revolves around their performance in regards to trance. I love the Pro 750 for trance and jazz but I feel it falls short for rock and blues. Ideally it should be as good as my HF2 for rock and blues and the Pro 750 for trance and jazz. Any thoughts?
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 12/20/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 12/20/10
- productUltrasone Edition 8tagged by System, 12/20/10
- productUltrasone Edition8 Palladium Special Edition Headphonestagged by System, 12/20/10
Related Forum Threads
- Ken Rockwell Audio Reviews - Ultrasone Edition 8 and Stax Last post on 3/23/12 at 1:34pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone edition 10 "THE BUTTERFLY" initial impressions Last post on 10/24/13 at 9:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Proof that the average consumer can't tell the difference Last post on 12/9/10 at 7:39pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Cant decide on the Grados Ps1000 or the Ultrasone Edtion 8s Last post on 9/12/10 at 4:00pm in Headphones (full-size)
- For you who have Ultrasone Edition 8 Last post on 9/4/10 at 8:00am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
To start off I have to clarify that i am not an "Audiophile", nothing about me is audiophile related except the love of music and headphones. So to start this review i'd like to talk about the...
Since the Gamma y2 is a DIY project I'm not going to comment on the build quality as its dependent on the builder. The Sound The sound of the y2 varies on how it was built. Mine is using...
I just thought I'd write up a review on these headphones. They did a bit getting used to, because the reproduction of sound is so clear and even. Like getting used to a pair of studio monitors...
Its cheap, I got my blue ones for 6 dollars, it sounds good consider, and it is very light weight. I do not know why some people insist this pair is better than 50-100 dollar headphones, it's...
Well, i won't make a long review. Having the iPod Nano V6, SansaClip+, SansaClip Fuse, iAudio 6 and a mix of older Sony's, iPod's etc ... I think the best sounding player to me was the iAudio 6....
Edition 8 good all-arounder?post #1 of 2112/20/10 at 7:32amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 2112/20/10 at 7:37am
For a closed headphone, I've found none better. It does rock, metal, jazz, acoustic and classical all very well. Sorry, I don't listen to trance music...makes me feel like I'm playing Wipeout on my PS3.post #3 of 2112/20/10 at 7:41amThread Starterpost #4 of 2112/20/10 at 9:50amThread Starterpost #5 of 2112/20/10 at 10:34ampost #6 of 2112/20/10 at 11:17am
Low bass performance of the Edition 8 is highly dependent on amplification. I've heard totally different presentation of lowest notes of the ED8 from two different devices. I don't remember a headphone performing the low bass better. The Edition 9 maybe but it's guessing from memory.post #7 of 2112/25/10 at 5:15am
I haven´t heard many headphones with less sub bass then the ED 8. Look at the graphs at headphone.com seem true to me. That said I don´t miss it that often it´s obviously a concious design choice. Though it´s one reason it do great on tubes and is totally awful on something like an Ipod touch where it gets all trebly with mid bass punch ;).post #8 of 2112/25/10 at 7:16ampost #9 of 2112/25/10 at 8:28ampost #10 of 2112/25/10 at 9:39am
I suppose there is more then me that don´t do audiophile listening while on the go. I am very happy with my Porta Pro though it would be nice if it isolated a bit better. I hate the Touch/ED8 combo with a passion.post #11 of 2112/25/10 at 10:23ampost #12 of 2112/26/10 at 9:49amThread Starter
I meant sound quality. Not looking for it to be the best at anything. Just great with everything as I'm tired of multiple cans for different genres. I have had the ED8 in my possesion now for a couple of days. Things are sounding good so far. I do notice the lack of sub bass but it isn't bothersome. The sibilance is what has me on the fence. For the record, I'm only using and AE-2 for an amp at the moment.post #13 of 2112/26/10 at 1:18pm
Wow, i don't notice a lack of bass or any sibilance. Maybe because my amp, although it is solid state is a very tubey warm sounding amp, even warmer than my tube amp by quite a bit actually. I have had the Ed 8 LE for about two months or so.post #14 of 2112/26/10 at 2:35pmThread Starterpost #15 of 2112/26/10 at 5:16pmQuote:
That might very well be your amp...my Edition 8LEs go very deep with my MAD Ear+HD tube amp (almost as deep as my D7000 (now sold) or LCD-2s).
- Edition 8 good all-arounder?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 8 seconds ago
- › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones 10 seconds ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 26 seconds ago
- › WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!! 35 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 1 minute ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Q701 appreciation thread 4 minutes ago
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › JVC HAS160B FLATS Lightweight Headband Headphones (Black) by Lokip000
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by Xstream
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by Beethoven Lover
- › Astell&Kern AKR01 Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors by wolfetan44
- › Heir Audio 5.0 by surge
- › Philips Fidelio S1 by pignolo
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by alflying
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe