Are the ED8 a good all around can? I listen to a wide variety of music and wonder if the cost of this headphone would be justified to replace multiple sets. I like the form factor for transportability. My main concern revolves around their performance in regards to trance. I love the Pro 750 for trance and jazz but I feel it falls short for rock and blues. Ideally it should be as good as my HF2 for rock and blues and the Pro 750 for trance and jazz. Any thoughts?
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 12/20/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 12/20/10
- productUltrasone Edition 8tagged by System, 12/20/10
- productUltrasone Edition8 Palladium Special Edition Headphonestagged by System, 12/20/10
Related Forum Threads
- Ken Rockwell Audio Reviews - Ultrasone Edition 8 and Stax Last post on 3/23/12 at 1:34pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone edition 10 "THE BUTTERFLY" initial impressions Last post on 10/24/13 at 9:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Proof that the average consumer can't tell the difference Last post on 12/9/10 at 7:39pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Cant decide on the Grados Ps1000 or the Ultrasone Edtion 8s Last post on 9/12/10 at 4:00pm in Headphones (full-size)
- For you who have Ultrasone Edition 8 Last post on 9/4/10 at 8:00am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I was looking for an excellent universal IEM with multiple drivers to fit my portable listening needs. Ideally, I would have my beloved LCD-2's in a portable package. I have become addicted to the...
First I’d like to thank Rock Jaw for sending me the Alfa Genus for review. If you haven’t heard of Rock Jaw before, I don’t blame you. They are a rather new company that recently came out with a...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images PREAMBLE Brainwavz is a now well established manufacturer of headphones in the value for money...
I bought these headphones a little over a week ago, and thought I should post my impressions. I work in a small office, and sit close to my boss, who is constantly on the phone, so I wanted a...
This is a work in progress, everytime I listen to them with a different source, there's always something new emerging and changing the overall perspective someway. Sources used: Macbook Pro,...
Edition 8 good all-arounder?post #1 of 2112/20/10 at 7:32amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 2112/20/10 at 7:37am
For a closed headphone, I've found none better. It does rock, metal, jazz, acoustic and classical all very well. Sorry, I don't listen to trance music...makes me feel like I'm playing Wipeout on my PS3.post #3 of 2112/20/10 at 7:41amThread Starterpost #4 of 2112/20/10 at 9:50amThread Starterpost #5 of 2112/20/10 at 10:34ampost #6 of 2112/20/10 at 11:17am
Low bass performance of the Edition 8 is highly dependent on amplification. I've heard totally different presentation of lowest notes of the ED8 from two different devices. I don't remember a headphone performing the low bass better. The Edition 9 maybe but it's guessing from memory.post #7 of 2112/25/10 at 5:15am
I haven´t heard many headphones with less sub bass then the ED 8. Look at the graphs at headphone.com seem true to me. That said I don´t miss it that often it´s obviously a concious design choice. Though it´s one reason it do great on tubes and is totally awful on something like an Ipod touch where it gets all trebly with mid bass punch ;).post #8 of 2112/25/10 at 7:16ampost #9 of 2112/25/10 at 8:28ampost #10 of 2112/25/10 at 9:39am
I suppose there is more then me that don´t do audiophile listening while on the go. I am very happy with my Porta Pro though it would be nice if it isolated a bit better. I hate the Touch/ED8 combo with a passion.post #11 of 2112/25/10 at 10:23ampost #12 of 2112/26/10 at 9:49amThread Starter
I meant sound quality. Not looking for it to be the best at anything. Just great with everything as I'm tired of multiple cans for different genres. I have had the ED8 in my possesion now for a couple of days. Things are sounding good so far. I do notice the lack of sub bass but it isn't bothersome. The sibilance is what has me on the fence. For the record, I'm only using and AE-2 for an amp at the moment.post #13 of 2112/26/10 at 1:18pm
Wow, i don't notice a lack of bass or any sibilance. Maybe because my amp, although it is solid state is a very tubey warm sounding amp, even warmer than my tube amp by quite a bit actually. I have had the Ed 8 LE for about two months or so.post #14 of 2112/26/10 at 2:35pmThread Starterpost #15 of 2112/26/10 at 5:16pmQuote:
That might very well be your amp...my Edition 8LEs go very deep with my MAD Ear+HD tube amp (almost as deep as my D7000 (now sold) or LCD-2s).
- Edition 8 good all-arounder?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Review: Final Audio Design Heaven VI 12 seconds ago
- › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage 1 minute ago
- › Chord Hugo 1 minute ago
- › NEW - Schiit Asgard 2 1 minute ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro - Limited Edition, 32 Ohms 1 minute ago
- › Introduction and Request of Assistance 2 minutes ago
- › Show us your vintage headphones! 2 minutes ago
- › Testing audiophile claims and myths 2 minutes ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › Shure SE535LTD RED by hardbop
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by lin0003
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Brooko
- › PSB M4U 2 Noise Canceling headphones by Mr_Owlow
- › VSONIC VSD3S Black High Fidelity Professional Quality Stereo... by squallkiercosa
- › Eclipse TD-M1 by HideousPride
- › OSTRY KC06 High Fidelity Stereo Inner-Ear Earphones by twister6
- › beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphones by Xyrium
- › DacMagic XS USB DAC Headphone Amp by Davidoffdgh
- › SONY MDR-XB90EX | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese Import) by kevms89
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)