Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › D-7000s causing me pain, literally
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

D-7000s causing me pain, literally - Page 2

post #16 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushupedge View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by wind016 View Post

Even burned-in, the Denon D7000 is sibilant on certain tracks. IMO, only the ATH W1000X can do what the D7000 does overall and surpass it. It's still a top headphone for what it does well. I suggest using an EQ to lower the highest frequency a little since you don't have something like a tube amp.

 

Don't consider the GS1000i. If the Denon is giving you sibilance on certain tracks, the GS1000i will most likely give you sibilance on the same tracks. The T1 should be better.


If I got a tube amp, would that reduce sibilance further?



A tube amp might reduce the sibilance, but it might also reduce bass control...IMO the D7000s are very difficult to pair with tube amps, though not impossible.  I feel that perhaps another headphone might be to your liking, one with a gentler treble and very good bass impact.  I found both T1 and LCD2 to have good bass impact and a less sibilant treble, I have never heard the W1000Xs, but from all reports they might fill your needs perfectly at a lesser cost.  IMO the D7000s are fundamentally a very bright can and no amps will change this fact.


Edited by SP Wild - 12/26/10 at 12:38am
post #17 of 32

Tube amps are tricky. Some tubes will roll off the sibilance for you, but whether or not you'll like the tube sound is a totally different matter all together. To get a tube amp for the Denon, you'd have to invest quite a bit too. You'd have to buy a hybrid amp or at least a transformer coupled amplifier since the Denons are low impedance. A transformer coupled amp can be quite expensive. I'm also not sure about the options in hybrids and how they react to tube rolling...

 

Tubes stereotypically smooth out the sound and make the music for lush. Solid state tends to sound more dynamic and punchy. The simplest solution is to tweak the EQ or maybe try modding your Denons. If that is your only issue, i think it may not be that hard to clear up. Maybe try J$ pads. I'm not completely read-up on Denon mods...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushupedge View Post



If I got a tube amp, would that reduce sibilance further?

post #18 of 32

Yeah. The balance of the D7000 feels like it can be disrupted very easily with the wrong setup. 

post #19 of 32

SS amps ftw.

post #20 of 32

Transformed coupled tube amps FTW LOL

post #21 of 32
Thread Starter 

Is there any evidence that the J$ pads do anything for this? I'm eager to save the DENONs because they're otherwise very texturally rich with a massive soundstage, they're comfortable, and look great.

post #22 of 32

Sorry, I can't do the research for you, but when I traded it, I did regret it immediately afterwards. My problems were the slightly laid back vocals because I preferred it to be forward. The sibilance wasn't that big of a deal though it was present.

post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushupedge View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by wind016 View Post

Even burned-in, the Denon D7000 is sibilant on certain tracks. IMO, only the ATH W1000X can do what the D7000 does overall and surpass it. It's still a top headphone for what it does well. I suggest using an EQ to lower the highest frequency a little since you don't have something like a tube amp.

 

Don't consider the GS1000i. If the Denon is giving you sibilance on certain tracks, the GS1000i will most likely give you sibilance on the same tracks. The T1 should be better.


If I got a tube amp, would that reduce sibilance further?


I listen to them sometimes with a tube amp with a low-ohm plug with my warmest tube (tung-sol), which does take the edge off, but at the expense of some definition and spatial detail.  For that reason I usually listen to them straight out a SS amp at low volume so the highs/bass don't hurt me.  Burn-in does not improve things (after almost a year now).  

post #24 of 32

If D7000 is sibilant for you, forget the GS1000 and the T1. You might be surprised how people could survive from deafness using those cans.

 

In a more serious note, its probably underdriven. Do not use a portable amp to drive the denons, unless you're pretty sure you got yourself a powerful one (pico is one of them i think). Otherwise get a desktop SS amp. I used the GS Novo/Solo for it back then.


Edited by jyle_t - 12/26/10 at 7:58am
post #25 of 32

I've never had a chance to listen to the D7000s, but I DO have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990s, well known for being rather sibilant. I can personally attest to the fact that after a year of fairly regular use, only now are they finally starting to settle down and sound right. When I first purchased them and for at least several months after, the sibilance was bad enough that certain tracks were, just as you described, downright painful. I had to either reduce the volume quite a bit or enable something like the Electri-Q DSP with divots in the worst frequency ranges.

 

In the time I've had them, I've really only changed the sound card that they're connected to (now an Auzentech X-Fi Bravura). I've also recently connected them directly to other sound cards to test for poor amplification, but they still don't sound nearly as bad as I seem to remember. Aural memory is, of course, far from perfect, but the pain that I experienced is most definitely quite hard to forget. I realize that this doesn't apply directly to the D7000s, but I just thought I'd throw in my experiences in case you decide to keep them. There may be hope yet!

 

Then again, maybe I'm just going deaf. beyersmile.png

post #26 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyle_t View Post

If D7000 is sibilant for you, forget the GS1000 and the T1. You might be surprised how people could survive from deafness using those cans.

 

In a more serious note, its probably underdriven. Do not use a portable amp to drive the denons, unless you're pretty sure you got yourself a powerful one (pico is one of them i think). Otherwise get a desktop SS amp. I used the GS Novo/Solo for it back then.


I'm using an iBasso Mamba, which is a portable amp. It seems to have taken some of the edge off but can only seem to get to listenable volumes at the high end of its range so maybe you're right.

 

e: Also, for anyone out there still wondering, let me assure you: burn-in is absolutely essential. Really has matured the cans so far.


Edited by rushupedge - 12/28/10 at 2:43pm
post #27 of 32


I find the T1 quite bright from SS amps (Grace m902 and Naim Headline). I found the HD800 even worse. Haven't heard the D7000. Have ordered a WA2 for the T1.. I'll give a report :-) Irony is that I have started looking at D7000 as an alternative for T1...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyle_t View Post

If D7000 is sibilant for you, forget the GS1000 and the T1. You might be surprised how people could survive from deafness using those cans.

 

In a more serious note, its probably underdriven. Do not use a portable amp to drive the denons, unless you're pretty sure you got yourself a powerful one (pico is one of them i think). Otherwise get a desktop SS amp. I used the GS Novo/Solo for it back then.

post #28 of 32

The treble on the D7000 is rather bright, but nowhere near the brightness of the DT990, lol.

post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardilla View Post


I find the T1 quite bright from SS amps (Grace m902 and Naim Headline). I found the HD800 even worse. Haven't heard the D7000. Have ordered a WA2 for the T1.. I'll give a report :-) Irony is that I have started looking at D7000 as an alternative for T1...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyle_t View Post

If D7000 is sibilant for you, forget the GS1000 and the T1. You might be surprised how people could survive from deafness using those cans.

 

In a more serious note, its probably underdriven. Do not use a portable amp to drive the denons, unless you're pretty sure you got yourself a powerful one (pico is one of them i think). Otherwise get a desktop SS amp. I used the GS Novo/Solo for it back then.


 


I wasn't talking about amping the T1 with SS amp, just the D7000. My GS-1 hasn't arrived before i sold the T1 tho, so i didn't have a chance to try that, only used the WA6 instead.

post #30 of 32
Thread Starter 

What amp combos would tame the highs?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › D-7000s causing me pain, literally