Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Grado GR8,Monster Copper, or q-Jays?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado GR8,Monster Copper, or q-Jays? - Page 4

post #46 of 66
Thread Starter 

The GR8's are indeed plastic I believe. Wow the sound on these is incredible. I will reserve judgement on the durability of these until I've had theme for a few months. Bass is impressive for a single armature. Mids are definitely very strong/forward and very very nice in these. I would be interested in hearing the GR10, but the durability has to be proven to me first. No response from Grado on out of warranty repairs. Cable has same feel as my 'kevlar' ie7's the stress reliefs on the monitors themselves is questionable, and I HATE straight jacks. If these can hold up for me I will purchase the GR10's eventually. Sound-wise, these are really fantastic IEM's . A little less sensitive than I would like, but we are going to be spending some quality time together.

 

Some tracks are harsh, isolation better than expected, vocals are as lifelike as I've heard. Very impressive.

post #47 of 66

Glad you're enjoying them, I'd feel bad if you didn't like them after I talked them up in our PM conversation. 

 

I agree the stress reliefs look a little iffy, I am always very careful taking them in and out of the ear just in case. Although with over-the-ear wearing I don't think those reliefs should really get much strain.

post #48 of 66
Thread Starter 

Yes *chuckle* you'd really be hearing it otherwise! Really nice sound, Gotta try running with them on Sunday. Did some garage work today, no microphonics to speak of. I'm less worried about the strain reliefs in use than the wear and tear taking them out. How the heck do you take them out without pulling on the cables?

post #49 of 66

Pull at your ear lobe to break the seal. Then, if there's no more suction, it's pretty safe to take them out by the strain reliefs.

post #50 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

Pull at your ear lobe to break the seal. Then, if there's no more suction, it's pretty safe to take them out by the strain reliefs.



Hey! Thanks, duh! hadn't thought of that. My hands could be dirty/greasy/oily, minimum contact with the cables would be ideal. Sounds like a plan !

 

Still exploring these puppies. They get a little bothered by fast metal, but 'normal' music electronic/voice centric/basic rock fantastic. I will probably still try the 535's for simple curiosity sake (and the repairable cable).

 

post #51 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

^ As it stands I've only been listening for a few hours, but I can safely say that I prefer the GR10 to all dual and triple BAs I've heard (including the CK10, CK100, SE530, SM3). IMO they have more to fear from the Ortofon e-Q5 than from any of these.



Aloha, james444...

 

This thread caught my eye: current, and hot on a topic of great interest to me at the moment.

 

Just recently "graduated" from 2 consecutive pair of ATH CM700 (and jumped from a Creative Zen to a CowonJ3), and though I  was sorely tempted to simply buy higher up the family chain (CK100), for various reasons decided to go with another Japanese maker, namely the JVC FX700 (maybe I just think "700" has a cool ring to it...).  

 

I'm quickly falling in love with these, but before I get too set in my ways again, I've decided to buy one more pair of higher-end IEMs, while I'm still in the research and buy mode. Ideally something to compliment the FX700. 

 

Happily, your gear list puts the FX700 at the head of the class (for dynamic). However, since you list the CK100 at the bottom of your BA list, while simultaneously revealing your new-found preference for the GR10 over all other (a maker I had heretofore not even considered), I'd like to ask for confirmation and follow-up thoughts. So how about it:  knowing the FX700 as you do,  if you had to choose just one other (let's say under )  what would be your call, and why (if you would be so kind)? For what it's worth, my musical taste tends toward the omnivorous.

 

In any case, thanks for your post. I will continue to follow with abiding interest.

 

Cheers,

post #52 of 66

Hi shinybeast, welcome to Head-Fi! If I had to choose just one other pair of IEMs besides the FX700 it would be the FI-BA-SS. ksc75smile.gif But I think you meant to state a price limit with that "(let's say under )", so let me rephrase: If I had to choose just one other pair of IEMs besides the FX700 for a halfway reasonable price it would be the e-Q5, GR10 or FI-BA-A1. All three are more analytical than the JVCs while still retaining a certain amount of dynamic and fun sound signature that makes them musical and pleasurable to my ears.

 

Now which one to chose out of these? For small ears/narrow canals, if fit could be a possible concern, I'd go for the GR10. Otherwise I'd chose the e-Q5 as it is pretty much the same sound for $150 less. (Keep in mind that I haven't had the GR10 for long, so these are preliminary impressions.) If you're into amping and cool with less isolation and lower quality cables, the FI-BA-A1 cost slightly more than the e-Q5 and offer the most improvement when amped.

 

That's it in short, you can find more detailed info in these threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/520847/ortofon-e-q5-impressions-thread

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/529135/review-ortofon-e-q5-less-is-more

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/519801/grado-gr10-reviews-first-impressions-thread

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/520503/e-q5-added-shootout-the-ortofon-e-q7-versus-3-new-final-audio-iems-fi-ba-a1-fi-ba-sb-fi-ba-ss

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/510267/final-audio-s-new-fi-ba-sb-and-fi-ba-a1-balanced-armature-earphones

post #53 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

Hi shinybeast, welcome to Head-Fi! If I had to choose just one other pair of IEMs besides the FX700 it would be the FI-BA-SS. ksc75smile.gif But I think you meant to state a price limit with that "(let's say under )", so let me rephrase: If I had to choose just one other pair of IEMs besides the FX700 for a halfway reasonable price it would be the e-Q5, GR10 or FI-BA-A1. All three are more analytical than the JVCs while still retaining a certain amount of dynamic and fun sound signature that makes them musical and pleasurable to my ears.

 

Now which one to chose out of these? For small ears/narrow canals, if fit could be a possible concern, I'd go for the GR10. Otherwise I'd chose the e-Q5 as it is pretty much the same sound for $150 less. (Keep in mind that I haven't had the GR10 for long, so these are preliminary impressions.) If you're into amping and cool with less isolation and lower quality cables, the FI-BA-A1 cost slightly more than the e-Q5 and offer the most improvement when amped.

 

That's it in short, you can find more detailed info in these threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/520847/ortofon-e-q5-impressions-thread

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/529135/review-ortofon-e-q5-less-is-more

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/519801/grado-gr10-reviews-first-impressions-thread

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/520503/e-q5-added-shootout-the-ortofon-e-q7-versus-3-new-final-audio-iems-fi-ba-a1-fi-ba-sb-fi-ba-ss

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/510267/final-audio-s-new-fi-ba-sb-and-fi-ba-a1-balanced-armature-earphones


You do mean the e-Q5 and not the e-Q7 right? I was under the impression the e-Q7 was desirable but don't know much about the e-Q5. Similar signature? The design with the 'dynamic' armature is similar right? Design is obviously different,odd that the preferred version is the less expensive one. Rare! 

post #54 of 66

If you follow the above links you'll see that both ClieOS and I prefer the e-Q5 over the e-Q7 (by a slight margin) in our reviews. And yes, I concur it's kinda odd for Ortofon to surpass their top model with a less expensive version that's bearing a lower number (5 vs. 7). However, from a consumer's point of view, I think that's a wonderful gesture. wink.gif

post #55 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

If you follow the above links you'll see that both ClieOS and I prefer the e-Q5 over the e-Q7 (by a slight margin) in our reviews. And yes, I concur it's kinda odd for Ortofon to surpass their top model with a less expensive version that's bearing a lower number (5 vs. 7). However, from a consumer's point of view, I think that's a wonderful gesture. wink.gif



Ok, I was reading your posts on the e-Q5 in your previous links/reviews for the 'moving armature' iem's you tested. How have the e-Q5's held up? Cable surviving with/without strain reliefs ? Sound versus the Grado GR10?It sounded like you finally got those but I didn't see the review versus the Grado. And yes, I think it's a wonderful gesture to give us better sound for about $70 less !

 

post #56 of 66

Surprised the SB isn't even mentioned. So I take it SS>FX700>The rest for your preferences?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

Hi shinybeast, welcome to Head-Fi! If I had to choose just one other pair of IEMs besides the FX700 it would be the FI-BA-SS. ksc75smile.gif But I think you meant to state a price limit with that "(let's say under )", so let me rephrase: If I had to choose just one other pair of IEMs besides the FX700 for a halfway reasonable price it would be the e-Q5, GR10 or FI-BA-A1. All three are more analytical than the JVCs while still retaining a certain amount of dynamic and fun sound signature that makes them musical and pleasurable to my ears.

 

Now which one to chose out of these? For small ears/narrow canals, if fit could be a possible concern, I'd go for the GR10. Otherwise I'd chose the e-Q5 as it is pretty much the same sound for $150 less. (Keep in mind that I haven't had the GR10 for long, so these are preliminary impressions.) If you're into amping and cool with less isolation and lower quality cables, the FI-BA-A1 cost slightly more than the e-Q5 and offer the most improvement when amped.

 

That's it in short, you can find more detailed info in these threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/520847/ortofon-e-q5-impressions-thread

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/529135/review-ortofon-e-q5-less-is-more

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/519801/grado-gr10-reviews-first-impressions-thread

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/520503/e-q5-added-shootout-the-ortofon-e-q7-versus-3-new-final-audio-iems-fi-ba-a1-fi-ba-sb-fi-ba-ss

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/510267/final-audio-s-new-fi-ba-sb-and-fi-ba-a1-balanced-armature-earphones

post #57 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarkRemains View Post

Ok, I was reading your posts on the e-Q5 in your previous links/reviews for the 'moving armature' iem's you tested. How have the e-Q5's held up? Cable surviving with/without strain reliefs ? Sound versus the Grado GR10?It sounded like you finally got those but I didn't see the review versus the Grado. And yes, I think it's a wonderful gesture to give us better sound for about $70 less !

 

I got the GR10 only two days ago and I'm usually testing new phones for at least two weeks before posting a detailed review. From what I gathered they're using the same (or at least very similar) drivers as the Ortofons and they also sound very similar from first impressions, so I'd be surprised if they'd turned out significantly better in the end. Fit is somewhat easier though, due to their smaller housings, that's why I'd recommend them for smaller ears where fit with the Ortofons might be difficult. Just keep in mind they cost $400 vs. $250 for the e-Q5.

 

As for build quality, I concur the e-Q5 design without visible strain reliefs looks somewhat vulnerable. But I guess they should have some sort of internal strain relief, and overall the e-Q5's build feels better than the GR10's. I've been using the Ortofons on the go for more than a month now and they seem to hold up very well.


Edited by james444 - 12/26/10 at 2:03pm
post #58 of 66

Thanks for some info James! One question though: Do you think the e-Q5 design is more vulnerable to moisture(rain, accidental splashing, sweat, whatever) at the cable entry point?

post #59 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post

Surprised the SB isn't even mentioned. So I take it SS>FX700>The rest for your preferences?

 

The SB isn't mentioned because he/she's looking for a second pair of IEMs alongside the FX700. Among the Ortofons and Final Audios the SB is the most V-shaped and closest to the FX700 (though still quite different overall), therefore I recommended some flatter phones to compliment the JVCs. Regarding my preferences, I've always had a hard time rating BA/MA vs. DD. The FX700 are still my "king of strings" and I adore their timbre with acoustic instruments, but you're right the SS would be my overall faves. The rest is quite a muddle, the DDMs another timbre favorite with classical and the Final Audios, Ortofons and GR10 all very close, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see and let the dust settle.

post #60 of 66

ah thanks for the clarification. Those EQ5s sure are winners from what i'm getting  , very tempted to get one now.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Grado GR8,Monster Copper, or q-Jays?