or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 653  

post #9781 of 29490



Haha, thanks!  I was like three quarters asleep when I asked. 

 

post #9782 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenman345 View Post


I would message Chris_Himself about that, I know he does recabling for other headphones with Silver wire. He will explain why its not a great idea to make it a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable thing. I was looking into that as well before i talked with him.

 

His profile has a link to his blog, where you can see his work



Thanks for the reply buddy, I appraciate it.

 

I've changed my mind for the third, and final, time and I've gone ahead and purchased a set of HD 518s. They seem to be a step up from the 448s and for £5 extra why the heck not?

 

I've read around and it seems you can replace the earpads with velour ones from the HD 558 & 598 models. Is this true and if so, where do you have to purchase them from because I cannot find them via Google search.



 

post #9783 of 29490
Hd25-1 ii vs ultrasone pro750??
post #9784 of 29490


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysockisauce View Post

Hello there.

 

I'm looking to buy some new headphones this Christmas and I was hoping to get some recommendations.

 

Price- $500 +/- (Headphones+Amp+Dac) I'm willing to drop a few hundred more for a noticeable increase in sound quality.

 

Music- I listen to Jungle, Drum & Bass, Future Garage and Dubstep. So I guess that all qualifies under edm. Sub bass is probably the most important parameter I'll be listening for.

 

Amp- I will be using an amp and dac.

 

Style- Haven't decided yet whether I need closed or open headphones, whatever sounds better I guess. I'll have them plugged into my computer 90% of the time.

 

If someone could recommend an amp and dac as well I'd be appreciate it.

 

Thanks.

 

Denon AH-D2000 is a good one for your price range. It does not need an amp to drive but surely benefits greatly from one. I think it's also important to get an amp/DAC combo. iBasso D-Zero is relatively cheap and portable. Provides both amp and DAC. It's a very competent device. Reviews are highly positive. I use my AHD2000 with it. It really opens up the cans even further. Already I was impressed with the cans without the device, but once I connected the Denon to it, there really was no turning back. Even when you push the volume to its higher end, it does not feel like as if the singer is shouting at you. It simply makes the already very good Denon even better.   
 

 

post #9785 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

 

Since your listening will be done at home, I would steer towards an open headphone. Something like the Beyer DT880 or Sennheiser HD600/650 is a great all-rounder, though it likes to have a bit more amping behind it. 



With the Beyerdynamic DT880, would that be the pro or the premium. Also, would amping be necessary for these as well? Seems I'm gonna have to save a bit more if I do choose to amp anything.

 

Edit: Actually, I'm gonna cut down my budget to $200 for headphones only and save a good bit of money to get a whole set-up. Might take a while, but that's fine. I'll just get an upgrade for what I'm using now at home (HD555s.) Any suggestions there?

 

Edit: Nevermind. Thanks for the help. Just gonna hang on to my money save up a bit and get the amp, dac, and headphones as I can. I appreciate your input for sure though.


Edited by Ora M - 12/3/11 at 2:38pm
post #9786 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post


Didn't I already answer this above? Or go ask in the gaming headphones thread if you're looking for something more extensive... 

 



Oh my mistake, Didn't see it XD, Thanks! :D

post #9787 of 29490

I'm looking for a good pair of full headphones for around $180. I thought about getting the ATH-M50, but heard they're not very bassy. 

 

 I listen to hip-hop, so I do like to have some bass. I also listen to artists like Ray LaMontagne, Citizen Cope, Adele quite often. There are times where I like to listen to rock too. Artists like Rage Against The Machine and Five Finger Death Punch.

 

Soooo, any good versatile headphones out there for roughly $180? :)

 

Thank you for any and all help.

post #9788 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguycruise View Post

I'm looking for a good pair of full headphones for around $180. I thought about getting the ATH-M50, but heard they're not very bassy. 

 

 I listen to hip-hop, so I do like to have some bass. I also listen to artists like Ray LaMontagne, Citizen Cope, Adele quite often. There are times where I like to listen to rock too. Artists like Rage Against The Machine and Five Finger Death Punch.

 

Soooo, any good versatile headphones out there for roughly $180? :)

 

Thank you for any and all help.



The ATH M50's from what I hear are audiohile bassy. Meaning not super muddy boom boom sony MDRX700 bassy. It's audiophile grade bass. I was also looking at them but after much research. I am going with the Ultrasone HFI 580's,. search it up . HFI 580 vs M50 and you will get many links for head-fi. read them up

post #9789 of 29490

Looking to upgrade from my modded HD555's.

 

I'm running an E9+E7 currently, have a mostly lossless audio collection on my PC and always adding more to it.

 

I game a TON however, I would say I game around 70-80% and music is around 20-30%. I also use my headphones with a clip on mic for ventrilo and other voip.

 

I was looking at HD650's, or HD600's. A few people recommended me beyer's since I game a lot, but I'm unable to hear them myself to test that out. When I game, I usually am in Vent or something, so I don't always have the game blasting or anything like that... so I wouldn't mind sacrificing the sound quality in a game. However I am looking for an upgrade music-wise, as it seems the more money I invest into it the more amazing it sounds and happier I am. 

 

My music profile is pretty expansive, from pink floyd to coldplay to current rock/alternative to indie. A few female singers as well.

 

Thanks for any help in narrowing this down, going to be a christmas present for myself lol.


Edited by Boyiee - 12/3/11 at 10:51am
post #9790 of 29490

I did some research and along with some of the recommendations on here have narrowed it down to these.

 

Sennheiser HD 650

 

Denon AH D2000

 

Beyerdynamic Premium DT 880 (600 ohms)

 

Ultrasone Pro 900

 

I'm going to be building a system around these headphones so I'm willing to match Amps and Dacs according to my pick.

 

The source for these is going to be my desktop which I'm planning to build around April, Ill be playing out files at 320kbps.

 

Apart from music these will also be used for gaming and movies but I want the best possible performance while listening to music. Like I said before I mostly listen to dubstep, drum and bass, jungle and future garage. I'd really like these headphones to have DEEP SUB BASS. These are going to be my first "good" cans as well " :)

 

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Sennheisers because of all the positive reviews.

post #9791 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysockisauce View Post

I did some research and along with some of the recommendations on here have narrowed it down to these.

 

Sennheiser HD 650

 

Denon AH D2000

 

Beyerdynamic Premium DT 880 (600 ohms)

 

Ultrasone Pro 900

 

I'm going to be building a system around these headphones so I'm willing to match Amps and Dacs according to my pick.

 

The source for these is going to be my desktop which I'm planning to build around April, Ill be playing out files at 320kbps.

 

Apart from music these will also be used for gaming and movies but I want the best possible performance while listening to music. Like I said before I mostly listen to dubstep, drum and bass, jungle and future garage. I'd really like these headphones to have DEEP SUB BASS. These are going to be my first "good" cans as well " :)

 

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Sennheisers because of all the positive reviews.


The HD650s are slow-sounding and have little sense of immediacy, making them unsuitable for the genres you listen to. I would get the Pro 900s. They sound much more energetic, and have great bass impact.

 

post #9792 of 29490

To pop back to the 325i's a sec (sorry if I'm getting annoying), well I'm listening to my friends  Audio Technica's ATH-M50's...and well I've just noticed how many of my songs feature some nice bass, lol.

Well umm...yea, I know Grado's aren't known for bass (I still love my SR60i's), but how do the 325i's do in that category?  I've read that at a certain point the bass kinda comes "alive" in them.

post #9793 of 29490

The higher up SR line Grados really don't have much bass either.  I believe the GS/PS series has more bass, but that is way more expensive.  If you want bass with a Grado, I'd suggest the Magnums.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasMaskMan View Post

To pop back to the 325i's a sec (sorry if I'm getting annoying), well I'm listening to my friends  Audio Technica's ATH-M50's...and well I've just noticed how many of my songs feature some nice bass, lol.

Well umm...yea, I know Grado's aren't known for bass (I still love my SR60i's), but how do the 325i's do in that category?  I've read that at a certain point the bass kinda comes "alive" in them.



 

post #9794 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by intercrew View Post

Hd25-1 ii vs ultrasone pro750??


Do you want on-ear or over-ear?

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ora M View Post



With the Beyerdynamic DT880, would that be the pro or the premium. Also, would amping be necessary for these as well? Seems I'm gonna have to save a bit more if I do choose to amp anything.

 

Edit: Actually, I'm gonna cut down my budget to $200 for headphones only and save a good bit of money to get a whole set-up. Might take a while, but that's fine. I'll just get an upgrade for what I'm using now at home (HD555s.) Any suggestions there?

 

Edit: Nevermind. Thanks for the help. Just gonna hang on to my money save up a bit and get the amp, dac, and headphones as I can. I appreciate your input for sure though.


The pro version is cheaper and clamps more and has an uglier shell. Most pro models are under $200. They still want a bit more amping though. 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post

Looking to upgrade from my modded HD555's.

 

I'm running an E9+E7 currently, have a mostly lossless audio collection on my PC and always adding more to it.

 

I game a TON however, I would say I game around 70-80% and music is around 20-30%. I also use my headphones with a clip on mic for ventrilo and other voip.

 

I was looking at HD650's, or HD600's. A few people recommended me beyer's since I game a lot, but I'm unable to hear them myself to test that out. When I game, I usually am in Vent or something, so I don't always have the game blasting or anything like that... so I wouldn't mind sacrificing the sound quality in a game. However I am looking for an upgrade music-wise, as it seems the more money I invest into it the more amazing it sounds and happier I am. 

 

My music profile is pretty expansive, from pink floyd to coldplay to current rock/alternative to indie. A few female singers as well.

 

Thanks for any help in narrowing this down, going to be a christmas present for myself lol.


Both the HD600/650 and Beyer DT880 are excellent all-purpose headphones, and they can be powered by the e9 so no worries there. 

 

post #9795 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

 

Both the HD600/650 and Beyer DT880 are excellent all-purpose headphones, and they can be powered by the e9 so no worries there. 

 



I would assume if money allows for it, to go for the 650 then in most cases? Cause I had planned on getting the 650's to begin with, unless steered differently by the community here. Go big or go home right? 

 

Any suggestions on a headphone stand as well? I'm going to need to take extreme care of these since I just noticed a slight crack on my 555's.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum