or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 640  

post #9586 of 29490

What do I recommend to friends considering Dr Dre Beats Pro?

One alternative I've seen given after a bit of searching here is the Denon AH-D2000 for better overall accuracy including more extended bass.

What other models should be considered?

I have a Beyerdynamic MMX300, which I think is pretty much a DT770 32ohm edition with a mic (for extra reference).

post #9587 of 29490

Hello. I am new to the forum. Also, I would say I'm new to the idea of buying headphones so I'm will need some advice.

 

In the past, I have bought the wrong types of headphones (majority of them was bass based). Currently using the Monster Beats Tours (without the mic etc...) [And yes, I know. Wrong choice for the price and genre. I assumed the wrong assumption. Also, it was cheap when I got it.]

 

The music I listen to are artist's: Coldplay, Foo Fighers, Jimi Hendrix, Muse, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Strokes, The White Stripes are a few examples.

 

I'm looking for the following type of headphones:
Price:

  • Less than or equal to £100 including international delivery etc...
  • Converted to approximately $150 (US Dollars)
  • Or I could wait till next year and go to Hong Kong to get it there for less than or equal $1,200 (Hong Kong Dollars - using this site to check prices: http://www.price.com.hk/
    However, I can usually, with luck, get a small discount through haggling/bartering so maybe have an extra range of +$100 to +$200

Note: I used this site to convert currencies - http://www.xe.com/ucc/

 

Open/Closed back:

  • By doing research and reading other forum posts (if I can read properly), open will sound more natural but there will be noise leakage and noise will leak out of the headphones and vice versa for closed back
  • I don't mind either one but I will be using it at home for the majority of the time (may bring it out to University instead if my in-earphones die on me)

 

Comfort:

  • I'm not bothered here as long as the discomfort is bearable. At home, I'll be using them for gaming and studying so I preferably would like to wear them maybe for 2 to 6 hours

 

Durability:

  • Preferably durable when (if my in-earphones die) I use it other than home usage. Also, has a decent life expectancy

 

Modifications:

  • I'm most likely not to modify them in any way (unless it's really easy to do so)

 

And that's my requirements.

 

Apologies in advance for this long request and the irrelevant information to cause the length (if any).

post #9588 of 29490

If they want plenty of bass with a lot more comfort, point them to the Sony MDR X-Bass 500, or, at a higher price, the XB1000Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass HeadphonesSony MDR-XB1000 DJ Headphone

post #9589 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1classydude View Post
What's the best $50 headphone an ipod can drive?

These are semi-open headphones

 

Panasonic RP-HTF600-S

Samson SR850
 

 

 

post #9590 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makavillin View Post
Hi Everyone. New to the forum here.

I'm looking to get some new over the ear headphones. Mainly for iPod/Computer listening. I listen to a lot of podcasts and hip hop music.

A guy from work is using the Bose Quiet Comfort 15. They sound amazing to me but I see a lot of hate towards Bose headphones. Can someone explain to me why that is and what are some similar options. I'd like to stay around $300 or less.

Thanks for the help.

Nothing wrong with the Bose headphones, there just overpriced.

For a $300 Bose, you can find something just as good for $200.

 

I can get Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250-Ohm (or 80-Ohm) headphones for $170

and a Fiio E6 portable headphone amplifier for $30
 

 

 


Edited by PurpleAngel - 11/28/11 at 1:59pm
post #9591 of 29490

The hate towards Bose headphones has a lot to do with their poor price/performance ratio.  They are generally very overpriced for what you get.  There is also a bit of animosity towards active noise cancellation degrading performance.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makavillin View Post

Hi Everyone. New to the forum here.

 

I'm looking to get some new over the ear headphones. Mainly for iPod/Computer listening. I listen to a lot of podcasts and hip hop music.

 

A guy from work is using the Bose Quiet Comfort 15. They sound amazing to me but I see a lot of hate towards Bose headphones. Can someone explain to me why that is and what are some similar options. I'd like to stay around $300 or less.

 

Thanks for the help.



 

post #9592 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrilic View Post
Hello. I am new to the forum. Also, I would say I'm new to the idea of buying headphones so I'm will need some advice.

In the past, I have bought the wrong types of headphones (majority of them was bass based). Currently using the Monster Beats Tours (without the mic etc...) [And yes, I know. Wrong choice for the price and genre. I assumed the wrong assumption. Also, it was cheap when I got it.]

The music I listen to are artist's: Coldplay, Foo Fighers, Jimi Hendrix, Muse, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Strokes, The White Stripes are a few examples.

I'm looking for the following type of headphones:
Price:

  • Less than or equal to £100 including international delivery etc...
  • Converted to approximately $150 (US Dollars)
  • Or I could wait till next year and go to Hong Kong to get it there for less than or equal $1,200 (Hong Kong Dollars - using this site to check prices: http://www.price.com.hk/
    However, I can usually, with luck, get a small discount through haggling/bartering so maybe have an extra range of +$100 to +$200

Note: I used this site to convert currencies - http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Open/Closed back:

  • By doing research and reading other forum posts (if I can read properly), open will sound more natural but there will be noise leakage and noise will leak out of the headphones and vice versa for closed back
  • I don't mind either one but I will be using it at home for the majority of the time (may bring it out to University instead if my in-earphones die on me)

Comfort:

  • I'm not bothered here as long as the discomfort is bearable. At home, I'll be using them for gaming and studying so I preferably would like to wear them maybe for 2 to 6 hours

Durability:

  • Preferably durable when (if my in-earphones die) I use it other than home usage. Also, has a decent life expectancy

Modifications:

  • I'm most likely not to modify them in any way (unless it's really easy to do so)

And that's my requirements.

Apologies in advance for this long request and the irrelevant information to cause the length (if any).


Sennheiser HD-558, 50-Ohm, open headphones.

Personally i would not try to buy anything name brand in Hong Kong.

 

 

post #9593 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlazu View Post

Portability isn't a priority, do you have any recommendations? I have been looking at DAC/AMPs but I'm not really sure what im looking. I did look at the Matrix Mini-I [as MalVeauX recommended the Matrix cube] I also looked at the NuForce ones but the prices start to creep past my self imposed budget:)

 

Like I said I'm 99% sure I'm going for HD650's so I want an amp/dac to suit them. HD650 =£300ish so an amp/dac needs to be around the £200 mark

 

Cheers for your help.
 

 


Try looking at some of the offerings from Audio-gd as well. Or look at iBasso; all their stuff is portable, but plenty of people use them as desktop devices as well. Perhaps something like the D6.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkelmmk93 View Post

Hi everyone.

 

I am about to get my first pair of quality headphones.

At the moment I have some in-ear from Phonak, the PFE-122.

I am from Denmark (europe).

My budget is some where around 200 euros, maybe more if they are worth it.

I have been looking at:

Denon AH-D2000, AH-D1100

Ultrasone HFI780, HFI680, Pro550

Beyerdynamics DT 770

 

I need a headset thats closed since it shouldnt leak to much, I use in public places and schools eg.

My music genre is most metal, rock, classical, indie and just about everything.

What I seek in a headset is a good detailing in the trebles so you can hear all the fine details and such, and a good firm bass. It should be able to hande some bass as that is also  what I like.

I dont have an amp and will primarily use it with my iPod and PC.

Can anyone shed a light on this and help me what to get? You can recommend other headphones too if they are more suitable than those I have found.
 

ps. I have a kinda big head. When buying hats I go for around 62 cm.


I would recommend one of the Ultrasones (680 more detail, 780 more balanced, or 650 more balanced) or maybe the Shure 750. 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by DancetoExpress View Post

 

The Senn HD598 look quite nice, but I'm a bit wary to buy something that's an open back headphone, having never owned one before and I think I'd be mainly using them in public places (libraries, classrooms, etc). Also, I'm not a huge fan of people hearing what I'm listening to haha; I'm just wary of that I guess.

 

I'm a bit confused on the Beyer's though. When I looked them up on Amazon, there seemed to be multiple versions.

 

And I guess for my own benefit of responding later on, I'll restate what I'm looking for below in this post.

 

 

 

I'm planning on eventually upgrading from my ATH-m50S to something, well "better" or higher-end I suppose. I don't really know my needs or what I'm looking for at this point, as I'm still very new to the audiophile world. I've heard things about V-Moda Crossfade M80s that have intrigued me, but I don't know if that's what would best satisfy me.

 

The genres of music I listen to vary from rock (U2, The Rolling Stones, R.E.M), pop (M.J, Lady Gaga), hip-hop, R&B, Rap, techno, electronica, etc. Anyways, you guys get the point :)  

 

I would mostly be using these with my iPod Classic or my laptop + a SoundBlaster Wireless USB sound card thing I have.. I know, not an optimal rig for music-listening... 

 

I'd prefer something that has relatively decent isolation/ (is closed?). Comfort is a huge plus, looks aren't a big concern but always a bonus, build quality is a concern of mine, but most importantly, is sound quality. I don't have any amps or other equipment to power whatever headphones that may be suggested, so I guess something that would sound good without an amp. Many thanks in advance!

 

Edit: Oh yeah, and as for budget... I don't really know when I'm going to buy these at the moment, so I guess that allows some time to save up. I would prefer something around ~200 ish, but I'm willing to spend up to ~$300.

 

 


Hmm... how about an Ultrasone 750/900? or the Pioneer HDJ-2000

 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlazu View Post

 

The Audio-Technica ATH W1000x have just popped up on my radar [saw them for £379] are these worth considering? 

 

After having talked myself into the HD 650's I'm now convinced I need to spend ridiculous amounts on an amp:) [So I'm currently weighing up better headphones/cheaper amp or vice-versa options] whilst looking for amps I came across the W1000x's they look real purdy! Having done some quick research they could be what i'm looking for except they are closed back.

 

Decisions decisions decisions... is it always going to be like this :)

 

Sigh... back to work

 

 


I would prioritize better headphone with cheaper amp. The W1000x is not particularly difficult to drive either, so you don't need a huge amp to go along with it. 

 

If you're looking at the open backed AT's, there's always the big AD2000 which I think is in the same ballpark pricewise (apparently they go for $300 used in Japan). 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by pfrog View Post

I have been looking fo good open back headphones with good bass and are good for video gaming (not the top priority, but I will definitly be using them for it) and have been contemplating the Ultrasone HFI 2400 and I was told that I should just get the ATH A700 and save myself $150. Is this true?


It all depends how comfortable you are with your budget. Audio is a ridiculous game of diminishing returns; no one can tell you what is "worth it".

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Hensroth View Post

I've been looking for new headphones for somewhere around $200, maybe up to $250. I mostly listen to Metal and Electro stuff, and my HD555s are a little lacking in bass for me. Unfortunately, I need something that can be driven well by the FiiO E7, so I don't know how that will affect my options.

 

Thanks,

Hens


Grado HF2 or maybe the new PS500?

Senn HD25

Ultrasone HFi680/780/Pro750

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmyles View Post

I'm looking for a headphone recommendation for less than $300.  Right now I own the fischer audio fa-011 and love everything about it but for the emphasis on extreme highs, which I find harsh.  I'd like to find something that is a little more forgiving in the highs.  My current setup is HRT MSII --> homemade full tube amp --> headphones.  I'm open to both open and closed and my budget is around $300.  Thanks for any help you can give.  


Beyerdynamic DT880 in whatever impedance flavour of your choosing.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by deadflagblues View Post

Well, my turn, I guess...

 

Hi to everyone.

 

After lurking here for months, looking for in ear headphones (and bought the MEELlectronics M9P), I now want an over the ear headphone, as my in ear shows some limitations: the mic is not very well located, so when I walk or move on my seat it is sometimes in contact with my shirt so the ear stuff pops out of my ear, and with the heat of the crowd they both pops up of my ears.

When I say the heat and the crowd, it's because I'm now travelling using the bus and the metro.

So I'm looking for something light, portable, over the ear to block the surrounding noise. less than 100CDN$.

I'm listening to rock (Noir Désir (a french band), (have discovered a couple of weeks ago) The Kills and love their dirty guitar, some 80's metal or metal prog (Mekong Delta), Hard Rock (Scorpions, early Judas Priest), Techno Hard Style, some Goa, Trance, Classical (Wagner), Minimalist (Philip Glass, John Adams...), British Big Beat (Propellerheads, Chemical Brothers, Prodigy...), love Portishead, and some pop.

I'm mainly listening that on my Nexus One cell phone, and the last version of Android has now an equalizer, don't know if this helps... 

The headphone will be used, too, to listen movies on my (very regular) PC, when the whole house is sleeping and doesn't want to hear some strange sci-fi sounds ;)

 

 

I had identified first the Sony MDR-v6, but thanks to that amazing 2011 guide (very well done BTW), I'm not so sure, now ;).

The SRH440 looks too heavy (I'm suffering from frequent headaches and try to stay light there), the CAL's looks good but isolation could be a problem (I REALLY don't want to hear that bass noise of metro, crowd, talks and so on), and the Grado sr60i (or sr80i) ... confort could be an issue (according to this... no more than one hour of wear... http://www.head-fi.org/products/grado-prestige-series-sr60i-headphones/reviews/5544)

Oh ! Because I'm wearing glasses, too. :(

I had the opportunity to try the Sennheiser-addidas (HD-220) last week with my Nexus One. Good isolation (could not hear the surronding conversation in a store during the black friday), but just hate the colors :(

 

So it seems I had to stay with the Sony MDR-v6. My questions are :

1- did I miss a headphone somewhere?

2- how is the noise isolation of this Sony MRD?

3- how is the confort, for let's say 3-4 hours, with glasses (for information, my hat is a 7 1/4). A movie is around 2hours, my metro travel around one hour, so I just put a "security".

4- If you are in Montreal, do you know where I could try some headphones.

 

 

Sorry for that long post.

 

Thank you in advance for the answers!

 


The Sony V6 is a solid all-round performer. Isolation is decent, comfort is decent (though it does sit on the ear, which can cause slight discomfort with glasses). I say also consider the Senn PX200-ii, which is super small and portable, with similar sound and isolation.

 

Check out any local music stores to see what headphones they have available to try out. You should have some Futureshops and BestBuys nearby too. 



Quote:
Originally Posted by 1classydude View Post

Alright, so another pair of generic apple earbuds have come and gone, and again I've started researching headphones. I'd like to keep it around 20-50 bucks. I haven't used anything but apple earbuds for years (and nothing better than them even before), and despite all the pages of reviews I've been reading the final decision feels like a bit of a coinflip. I'm looking at the Samsung SR-850, Superlux HD668b, Sennheiser PX100, Koss Porta Pros, and Creative Aurvana (on sale for cyber monday for 50 bucks shipped) though anything suggested here will be looked at for sure.

 

I plan on playing mostly through my ipod, a little through my computer, and provided it works, perhaps through my guitar amp. I don't have any sort of headphone amp. I know very little about headphones really, but I saw people saying that the superlux and the sr850 were really similar, though they differed in Ohm rating. Will a difference of about 20ohms make a difference when played through a lone ipod? I currently slightly prefer the superlux simply because of the cord style (hopefully would disconnect rather than break when pulled accidentally, as well as the two sizes provided). If I get one of the bigger headphones, I'll probably put something like KSC75s on my Christmas wishlist for an easy gift so I have something more portable around too.

 

My primary goal is good sound and how to maximize that given my situation. Unfortunately I've bought a few cds worth of music recently(ish) via itunes. Will this matter at all given my budget? They aren't lossless, nor is most of my other stuff. Back to cds and time to try lossless (plenty of room on my ipod, though most of my cds are probably buried somewhere getting all scratched up, hope I can rerip them), but it'd be nice to know if some of my favorites will sound bad (Elliott Smith, Modest Mouse, Andy McKee, Brand New, Underoath- a wide variety of genres, though less often do I listen to heavier music),

 

Thanks for any help guys.


The Senn PX100 and Porta Pro are fantastic portables if you don't mind them being open. The Senn is a little bassier, and the Koss maybe a bit more bit in the upper mids. For closed, the CAL is good. 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by adamantiumrose View Post

Like so many others on this thread, after a few weeks (maybe months?) of lurking, I'm finally officially in the hunt for a good set of full-size headphones.  Even though my setup (primarily through an iPod) is rather pedestrian compared to what I see around these forums, I still appreciate the phenomenal sound that can come from really good headphones and/or speakers; the question is how to do that with an iPod and without a few thousand dollars to throw at amps and high-end cans.

 

The other struggle I'm having is that I have little to no experience with truly good headphones.  The closest I've come is a pair of Monster Cable Solo Beats (though I imagine calling those "good" is tantamount to sacrilege around here).  As of right now, I listen primarily through my laptop/iPod with a pair of crappy $3 ebay in-ear headphones.  I received a pair of Skullcandy ones from a friend a few months ago ("Agent" style) but they promptly broke and weren't really that good to begin with anyway.  So that's my basically non-existent "background experience" when it comes to headphones.  

 

While I can't really imagine genres making a huge difference between models (Music is music after all, and classical can have as much in the low end as dance or other bass-heavy genres), I listen to primarily rock, classical (cello and string bass), and instrumental-heavy popular tracks, as well as a capella (which if you don't know is entirely vocal music).  I guess there is an emphasis on the lower end of the spectrum in the particular tracks I like, particularly in the classical and a capella music.  From what I have gleaned from my listening habits and the many reviews here, the sound quality is more important to me than having a hugely expansive soundstage.

 

As far as buying a new pair, I'm looking for a pair that are small enough that you can actually step outside with them on (probably on-ear/supra-aural type), though aesthetics aren't the deciding factor really.  My budget is under $300, but of course lower is better! :)

 

Some of the ones that I've been looking at are the V-Moda M80's and the Phiaton MS400's, though again I'm working entirely from what other reviewers have said. 

 

Any advice or suggestions are well appreciated!

 

Thanks, 

 

AR


The M80 is a great all-rounder with good sound and durability. It only lacks in isolation compared to other on-ear sets. You can check my profile for a link comparing a bunch of other portable sets including the M80.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo101 View Post

Hello all, I've been reading on the forum about a variety of budget headphones for the last few days and I'm considering buying the Goldring DR150 and Superlux HD668B (Also interested in Superlux HD661's but I can't find them in the UK. They are all available for £30-35 which is great. I tend to listen to jazz (Pat Metheny, Donald Byrd) soul (James Brown, The Meters) / a bit of rock (Steely Dan, Bowie) at well as a bit of Kraftwerk, David Axelrod and Erin Bode. I may buy both but I would like a bit of advice.

 

thanks in advance


If it is within your budget to buy both and your stores have a good return policy, go that route and let your ears be the judge.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by 1classydude View Post

What's the best $50 headphone an ipod can drive?


No such thing as "best", particularly if we don't know your music preferences, intended usage/needs, etc. 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Makavillin View Post

Hi Everyone. New to the forum here.

 

I'm looking to get some new over the ear headphones. Mainly for iPod/Computer listening. I listen to a lot of podcasts and hip hop music.

 

A guy from work is using the Bose Quiet Comfort 15. They sound amazing to me but I see a lot of hate towards Bose headphones. Can someone explain to me why that is and what are some similar options. I'd like to stay around $300 or less.

 

Thanks for the help.


Bose are ok, but expensive for what is really just average sound quality at best, and their build quality isn't that great either. In the same price range you can get the Senn PXC350/450 which sounds better and whose active noise cancelling circuitry works far better. Or if you don't need active noise cancellation, save the money and get a simpler set. 

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotm View Post

What do I recommend to friends considering Dr Dre Beats Pro?

One alternative I've seen given after a bit of searching here is the Denon AH-D2000 for better overall accuracy including more extended bass.

What other models should be considered?

I have a Beyerdynamic MMX300, which I think is pretty much a DT770 32ohm edition with a mic (for extra reference).


Ultrasone Pro900 (of the cheaper HFi580)

Audio Technica Pro700mk2 (aka Denon HP1000)

Pioneer HDJ-2000

Allen & Heath XD-53

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrilic View Post

Hello. I am new to the forum. Also, I would say I'm new to the idea of buying headphones so I'm will need some advice.

 

In the past, I have bought the wrong types of headphones (majority of them was bass based). Currently using the Monster Beats Tours (without the mic etc...) [And yes, I know. Wrong choice for the price and genre. I assumed the wrong assumption. Also, it was cheap when I got it.]

 

The music I listen to are artist's: Coldplay, Foo Fighers, Jimi Hendrix, Muse, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Strokes, The White Stripes are a few examples.

 

I'm looking for the following type of headphones:
Price:

  • Less than or equal to £100 including international delivery etc...
  • Converted to approximately $150 (US Dollars)
  • Or I could wait till next year and go to Hong Kong to get it there for less than or equal $1,200 (Hong Kong Dollars - using this site to check prices: http://www.price.com.hk/
    However, I can usually, with luck, get a small discount through haggling/bartering so maybe have an extra range of +$100 to +$200

Note: I used this site to convert currencies - http://www.xe.com/ucc/

 

Open/Closed back:

  • By doing research and reading other forum posts (if I can read properly), open will sound more natural but there will be noise leakage and noise will leak out of the headphones and vice versa for closed back
  • I don't mind either one but I will be using it at home for the majority of the time (may bring it out to University instead if my in-earphones die on me)

 

Comfort:

  • I'm not bothered here as long as the discomfort is bearable. At home, I'll be using them for gaming and studying so I preferably would like to wear them maybe for 2 to 6 hours

 

Durability:

  • Preferably durable when (if my in-earphones die) I use it other than home usage. Also, has a decent life expectancy

 

Modifications:

  • I'm most likely not to modify them in any way (unless it's really easy to do so)

 

And that's my requirements.

 

Apologies in advance for this long request and the irrelevant information to cause the length (if any).


Shure 840 or Audio Technica M50

 

If you're buying name brand stuff in HK and the prices seem too good to be true, it probably is. Counterfeit stuff is rampant there. 

 

post #9594 of 29490

Darn just missed me in your godly reply again Armaegis. Should i role-play a chick for more attention? D:

post #9595 of 29490

Well I just made a new topic on the subject, and when I pressed post, this thread was at the top of the page. Hah.  Anyway, I'll just copy and paste:

 

Hey everyone,

 

Although I'm sure you've seen this same thread posted 1,000 times, I'm gonna go ahead and ask for advice anyways after searching the archives for the past hour.

 

I'm looking for headphone and amp recommendations.  I listen to a lot of live music (Phish, Mule, etc...), mostly rock, but not generally super heavy stuff.  But I also try to find new music all the time in many different genres: folk, indie, electronica, whatever.  I also have a recording setup, using a Presonus Firepod as my interface, and I mostly play and record guitar.

 

It seems that I am in the market for an open headphone, around $300 or less. I've seen recs for the sennheiser HD600 and HD598, and Grado 225i.  Unfortunately for me, I live in the middle of nowhere and can't really drive anywhere to listen to different models to test them out, so I'm gonna have to go on advice I get from here, order them online, and hope for the best.

 

And I'll need an amp for when I'm not at the computer, but I assume I will have to decide on a pair of new phones before getting that far.

 

What other information can I give you to help me find a pair that is right for me?

 

Thanks

 

post #9596 of 29490

Wow, thanks guys. Digging for just a little more information if I may... Between these headphones- Samsung SR-850, Superlux HD668b, Sennheiser PX100, Koss Porta Pros, and Creative Aurvana- are there any that won't play well through just an ipod? I don't plan on getting an amp (at least for a while). Some artists and bands I like: Elliott Smith, Modest Mouse, Andy McKee, Built to Spill, Brand New, Underoath. I like a wide variety of music, so it's hard to narrow it down that way (especially with a lack of experience with headphones), but I like the idea of a neutral headphone, so you hear what was recorded. I'm fairly convinced that the selection of headphones I'm looking at are all relatively quality, so now I just want to double check that none of them are going to really sound bad through an ipod (without great source either...some of my music I can get better quality versions, the rest (the ones I got via itunes) will have to wait).

post #9597 of 29490

Hi,

 

After reading the buyers guide I've shortlisted few headphones and open to suggestions:

Audio Technica ATH AD700

Shure 440

Shure 840

Denon AH1100

 

I want to find a replacement for my Philips HP890 which I left before I continued studies (some 6000 miles away). I am currently using Creative Gigaworks T20 SII which are adequate. Previously I had a Logitech Z5300, which were fine when playing FIFA but hopeless in music, wires everywhere and not enough space and constant hitting the speakers while I do work are some negative points of a 5.1 setup. My music genre is quite wide from classical to electropop (Vocaloid 2), ballad to rock. I would like a headphones which are super comfortable, clear reproduction without sacrificing the bass. With the T20, I could hear the bass but I have to turn them slightly down at night not to disturb neighbours. I did read the Sony MDRX500 review but I don't want overempowering bass.The Philips HP890 provided quite a lot of bang for the buck though it might lack some bass which the Z5300 had too much. IMHO, the ATH AD700 are a spiritual successor to the HP890 right down to the colour tone.

 

Please recommend me:

A Philips HP890 replacement which cost at most £100 and does not need amps. I'm using it with my PC which has a Realtek ALC888 (so not that high end). A stop gap method until I can go back and get the HP890. I don't mind going to ebay for a used unit if its over budget. I can't find the HP890 anywhere and Philips don't make it anymore. Anyone has a HP890 that they don't need rolleyes.gif

post #9598 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1classydude View Post

Wow, thanks guys. Digging for just a little more information if I may... Between these headphones- Samsung SR-850, Superlux HD668b, Sennheiser PX100, Koss Porta Pros, and Creative Aurvana- are there any that won't play well through just an ipod? I don't plan on getting an amp (at least for a while). Some artists and bands I like: Elliott Smith, Modest Mouse, Andy McKee, Built to Spill, Brand New, Underoath. I like a wide variety of music, so it's hard to narrow it down that way (especially with a lack of experience with headphones), but I like the idea of a neutral headphone, so you hear what was recorded. I'm fairly convinced that the selection of headphones I'm looking at are all relatively quality, so now I just want to double check that none of them are going to really sound bad through an ipod (without great source either...some of my music I can get better quality versions, the rest (the ones I got via itunes) will have to wait).


It's Samson, not Samsung, they do sound the same.

Samson SR850, semi-open, made by Superlux

Superlux HD-668B, semi-open, comes with two swappable cables, one 3' and one 10'

CALS (Creative Aurvana Live), closed

I own all three, HD-668B stopped working after less then two months, stepped on the CALs and broke off cup (I think there fixable)

Had the SR850s for a month, there only 32-Ohm, so easy to drive, just as good sound as other two and is the cheapest cost.

 

 

post #9599 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post


The only Beyerdynamic DT770 that you could use (without a headphone amplifier) is the 32-Ohm version (Premium), which has the lightest bass of the DT770s.

Better to get the DT770 Pro 250-Ohm and use the leftover cash for a headphone amplifier.

The Fiio headphone amplifier (some come with DACS) can plug straight into the LOD of the iPod.

 

 

I have tried my brother DT 770 pro 80ohm.

I kinda like them, they maybe need a little bit more detail in the mids and treble, but thats just being picky. The trebles is quite good.
What amp would you recommend? Must be able to use it on the road.
And would it be a bad choice to go for the 80ohms?
 

 

post #9600 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by uaciaut View Post

Darn just missed me in your godly reply again Armaegis. Should i role-play a chick for more attention? D:

 

Did I? Sorry, sometimes when I go through all the pages I miss a few posts here and there. This thread moves at an alarming pace sometimes. 
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by doopuy View Post

Well I just made a new topic on the subject, and when I pressed post, this thread was at the top of the page. Hah.  Anyway, I'll just copy and paste:

 

Hey everyone,

 

Although I'm sure you've seen this same thread posted 1,000 times, I'm gonna go ahead and ask for advice anyways after searching the archives for the past hour.

 

I'm looking for headphone and amp recommendations.  I listen to a lot of live music (Phish, Mule, etc...), mostly rock, but not generally super heavy stuff.  But I also try to find new music all the time in many different genres: folk, indie, electronica, whatever.  I also have a recording setup, using a Presonus Firepod as my interface, and I mostly play and record guitar.

 

It seems that I am in the market for an open headphone, around $300 or less. I've seen recs for the sennheiser HD600 and HD598, and Grado 225i.  Unfortunately for me, I live in the middle of nowhere and can't really drive anywhere to listen to different models to test them out, so I'm gonna have to go on advice I get from here, order them online, and hope for the best.

 

And I'll need an amp for when I'm not at the computer, but I assume I will have to decide on a pair of new phones before getting that far.

 

What other information can I give you to help me find a pair that is right for me?

 

Thanks

 

 

Since you're recording, you'll want something fairly neutral. I would recommend the AKG K701/702/Q701.

 

For amps, the e9 is a popular pairing with the K701. 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by 1classydude View Post

Wow, thanks guys. Digging for just a little more information if I may... Between these headphones- Samsung SR-850, Superlux HD668b, Sennheiser PX100, Koss Porta Pros, and Creative Aurvana- are there any that won't play well through just an ipod? I don't plan on getting an amp (at least for a while). Some artists and bands I like: Elliott Smith, Modest Mouse, Andy McKee, Built to Spill, Brand New, Underoath. I like a wide variety of music, so it's hard to narrow it down that way (especially with a lack of experience with headphones), but I like the idea of a neutral headphone, so you hear what was recorded. I'm fairly convinced that the selection of headphones I'm looking at are all relatively quality, so now I just want to double check that none of them are going to really sound bad through an ipod (without great source either...some of my music I can get better quality versions, the rest (the ones I got via itunes) will have to wait).

 

Those should all play fine through an ipod. 
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by mystvearn View Post

Hi,

 

After reading the buyers guide I've shortlisted few headphones and open to suggestions:

Audio Technica ATH AD700

Shure 440

Shure 840

Denon AH1100

 

I want to find a replacement for my Philips HP890 which I left before I continued studies (some 6000 miles away). I am currently using Creative Gigaworks T20 SII which are adequate. Previously I had a Logitech Z5300, which were fine when playing FIFA but hopeless in music, wires everywhere and not enough space and constant hitting the speakers while I do work are some negative points of a 5.1 setup. My music genre is quite wide from classical to electropop (Vocaloid 2), ballad to rock. I would like a headphones which are super comfortable, clear reproduction without sacrificing the bass. With the T20, I could hear the bass but I have to turn them slightly down at night not to disturb neighbours. I did read the Sony MDRX500 review but I don't want overempowering bass.The Philips HP890 provided quite a lot of bang for the buck though it might lack some bass which the Z5300 had too much. IMHO, the ATH AD700 are a spiritual successor to the HP890 right down to the colour tone.

 

Please recommend me:

A Philips HP890 replacement which cost at most £100 and does not need amps. I'm using it with my PC which has a Realtek ALC888 (so not that high end). A stop gap method until I can go back and get the HP890. I don't mind going to ebay for a used unit if its over budget. I can't find the HP890 anywhere and Philips don't make it anymore. Anyone has a HP890 that they don't need rolleyes.gif


The Shure 840 is a nice. Try it out at a local music store and see if the comfort/headband suits you.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkelmmk93 View Post

I have tried my brother DT 770 pro 80ohm.

I kinda like them, they maybe need a little bit more detail in the mids and treble, but thats just being picky. The trebles is quite good.
What amp would you recommend? Must be able to use it on the road.
And would it be a bad choice to go for the 80ohms?
 

 


The Pro80 version is quite bassy. The 32 or 250 aren't quite as overwhelming.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum