or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 636  

post #9526 of 29490

Anyone? I'm starting to wonder if I should look for something else because people are recommending fairly expensive tube amps for the dt880.. I could build a bottlehead crack but I would still have to get a DAC..
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorns View Post

Hi

I'm looking for some headphones around $300. They are strictly for home use, and sound leakage is not a problem.

I will be buying a $200-300 DAC/amp to power them.

 

I listen to a lot of different stuff, but mainly "indie" folk/pop/rock and some electronica (ambient/glitch). So no jazz, classical or metal (or any kind of rock thats heavy on distorted guitars).

Some examples:

http://grooveshark.com/s/Monkeys+Uptown/3HfbmD?src=5

http://grooveshark.com/s/Fahrenheit+Fair+Enough/2L4Hjm?src=5

http://brokeforfree.bandcamp.com/track/the-album-leaf-streamside-broke-for-free-remix

 

I would also like them to do fairly well with movies, but that would probably only be what I use them for 10% of the time.

 

The Beyerdynamics dt880 (600 ohm) seem to fit the bill quite well, but are there others that would be better suited for my needs?



 


Edited by Unicorns - 11/27/11 at 9:14am
post #9527 of 29490

     Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Dawk20 View Post



Uhh, you mean like Analytical?

 

I don't know, which one would you choose? I mean like neutral sound with good detailing.

post #9528 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorns View Post

Anyone? I'm starting to wonder if I should look for something else because people are recommending fairly expensive tube amps for the dt880.. I could build a bottlehead crack but I would still have to get a DAC..



The Schiit Valhalla would be perfectly fine for the DT880 I imagine. Costs $350. Otherwise the solid state Asgard would be fine too imo and costs $100 less.

post #9529 of 29490

I’m thinking of replacing my Astro MixAMP with an iBasso D12 but not really sure if it’s worth it. I don’t use a mic when playing games, mostly single player on the PS3, so losing it isn’t that back of a deal. My problem is I’ve started watching blu-rays on my PS3 and wondering if the D12 would be better than the MixAMP.

 

I also want to buy an amp for my PC and HD 598s but not sure if that’s worth it either. I have an X-Fi Titanium HD and just plug my 598s into the headphone jack on the back. They sound great to me with both music and games, so not sure if an amp will make that much of a difference. If I did get an amp I’m thinking the E9 or E11.

 

Also wanted to know if there’s a headphone that keeps everything about the HD 598s but with more “punchier” bass? Would still need to be easy to drive.

post #9530 of 29490

Probably, from what I've read at least. But that was not really my point though. Those would leave me with even less money for a DAC then the Crack.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post





The Schiit Valhalla would be perfectly fine for the DT880 I imagine. Costs $350. Otherwise the solid state Asgard would be fine too imo and costs $100 less.

 


Edited by Unicorns - 11/27/11 at 10:12am
post #9531 of 29490

I'd say go for the E9 if you are looking between the two for an amp.  The HD598s need an amp to sound their best.  The bass will be much, much punchier with an amp.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setre View Post

I’m thinking of replacing my Astro MixAMP with an iBasso D12 but not really sure if it’s worth it. I don’t use a mic when playing games, mostly single player on the PS3, so losing it isn’t that back of a deal. My problem is I’ve started watching blu-rays on my PS3 and wondering if the D12 would be better than the MixAMP.

 

I also want to buy an amp for my PC and HD 598s but not sure if that’s worth it either. I have an X-Fi Titanium HD and just plug my 598s into the headphone jack on the back. They sound great to me with both music and games, so not sure if an amp will make that much of a difference. If I did get an amp I’m thinking the E9 or E11.

 

Also wanted to know if there’s a headphone that keeps everything about the HD 598s but with more “punchier” bass? Would still need to be easy to drive.



 

post #9532 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorns View Post

Probably, from what I've read at least. But that was not really my point though. Those would leave me with even less money for a DAC then the Crack.

 

 

Why not go for the 30ohm version instead of the 600ohm version then, and get a portable amp/DAC combo?
 

post #9533 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post


Take the plunge with the 439 and write a review to earn the admiration and epeen of internet strangers cool.gif

 

Chances are they will have replacement pads available; you can always call in directly.



My decision is between the Audio Technica M50S or the Sennheiser HD 439's. I picked up a pair of Sennheiser HD 428 S's for a few bucks on black friday and burning them in right now. I am enjoying them just not in love with the levels of Bass. The bass is dreadful without my E6 amp and even then, I have to use the equalizer to get better bass like I'm looking for. 

 

I know the Audio Technica M50S's are supposed to be a bit neutral as the are monitor headphones, but I've heard using an equalizer would help get the type of output I'm looking for. The Sennheiser 439's are supposed to be a year newer and a version up from the headphones I got this weekend and have more of an enhanced bass. 

 

Anyone know which set of cans will have the better sound stage and not feel completely underpowered by my iPod Classic 7G without the amp. I want to only wanna use the amp when I'm listening to things more bass heavy or sitting down. I commute to college and I have several hours to myself most days, so when I walk around campus I down wanna have to use an amp, but when i'm sitting down and doing work, an amp will usually be used. 

 

Thanks for the input guys. 

post #9534 of 29490

I'm looking at DACs/Amps for a pair of 598s as well, but i can't make up my mind. I'm primarily going to use them at a computer with a microphone, secondarily with an mp3.

 

I don't really want to spend a lot more money, so I was thinking of letting them go naked with the mp3 and just getting something like a Xonar DG for the PC (dolby surround sounds fun) and maybe upgrade at some later date.

 

But I'm not sure, should I get a "real" amp? Maybe something I could use with the mp3 and/or the PS3 as well? Would the 150 ohm amp on the DG even be enough to drive the easy 598s?

 

 

That and I can't seem to find any Fiio amps in sweden...

 

Edit: Actually I've found one, the E5.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxid10t View Post

I'd say go for the E9 if you are looking between the two for an amp.  The HD598s need an amp to sound their best.  The bass will be much, much punchier with an amp.
 



 



 


Edited by RonnyBb - 11/27/11 at 10:22am
post #9535 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post


Have not seen any reviews on the new Audio Technica ATH-A900X, very few places in the U.S.A. even have them in stock.

I believe they took some of the A1000X tech and put it into the A900X.

I would guess the A900X is an improvement over the A900s, but by how much?

 

 


Hmm... are the Z1000's much better than the A900?

 

post #9536 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post


Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro or Premium?

32-Ohm, 250-Ohm or 600-Ohm?

 

Any Beyerdynamic DT 32-Ohm headphone will have the least amount of bass.

The 600-Ohm versions will have the best sound

The 250-Ohm versions will sound almost as good as the 600-Ohm versions.

 

The Turtle Beach Earforce DSS ($70) has Dolby Headphone, a digital optical input and is cheaper then the Astro Mix-Amp.

But has one or two less features then the MixAmp

Not sure if the DSS will work with even 250-Ohm headphones?

 

You can get a Fiio E6 headphone amplifier ($30) with the Fiio L3 or L9 cable and the E6 will plug into the Line out Dock on the iPod & iPhone.

Not sure if the MacBook has a Line Out Dock?

 

Hope this helps.



The original poster you responded to needs to be a bit more specific. I am not sure about MacBook laptops, but I know for certain that MacBook Pro laptops have the ability of doing Digital Optical Out with a cheap/small adapter. I dont know however what amps or DAC's you would use from a source like that, but I'd be interested to know as well

post #9537 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headzone View Post

     Quote:

 

I don't know, which one would you choose? I mean like neutral sound with good detailing.



Hopefully someone more familiar with the headphone can come to clarify but if the AKG K601 is anything like it's bigger brother(the 701), it'll be the more analytical, neutral, and detailed can.

post #9538 of 29490

Hi guys,

 

I need help choosing a decent pair of headphones and my budget for this is £50.

 

I am currently considering the Sennheiser HD 428 (new) and the HD 465 (damaged packaging but brand new). No reason for the brands, but they are the only ones I could really find on amazon for £50. 

 

I've read approx. 30 reviews today about the 428s and most people complain about them been too quiet and generally lacking bass. I can't afford an amplifier on top of this so I'm leaning away from these.

 

I've not really read up much on the 465s (pounding headache plus I can't find my glasses...) but I've heard they have much more bass and are better overall.

 

I've never bought a pair of proper on ear headphones before so I don't know exactly what I'm looking for.

 

Could you guys advise me on this issue? They will be used for watching movies, listening to music (obviously..) and video gaming.

 

If it helps at all my taste in music is metal, classic rock and whatever you would consider dubstep to be.

 

(Started a new topic outside of this one without realising this one existed....sorry about that!)

 

Some feedback would be appreciated fairly quickly as I've only got until Friday 2nd to decide.

post #9539 of 29490


Not claiming to be an expert, but After a quick search, I believe that the HD 465's are Supra-Aural (which I am not sure, but believe means on ear headphones, whereas the Sennheiser HD 428's are over the ear. This means they wont rest on your ear, but over top of it, as opposed to the HD 465's which are going to rest on your ears. 

 

Also, I bought a pair of HD 428's recently and I have a tiny E6 amp. With the amp, the bass is okay, without the amp, even people that dont like bass will notice that its a bit lacking if they have heard them with an amp. The HD 428's have done one thing for me, which was open me up to nice sounding headphones, and I plan on getting a nicer pair in the immediate future with the types of Bass levels and sound stage i'm looking for.

 

EDIT: Also to be noted is that I am still burning them in, and have no idea what aspects of the HD 428's are going to improve. Not sure if most headphones get better in similar areas or not. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post

Hi guys,

 

I need help choosing a decent pair of headphones and my budget for this is £50.

 

I am currently considering the Sennheiser HD 428 (new) and the HD 465 (damaged packaging but brand new). No reason for the brands, but they are the only ones I could really find on amazon for £50. 

 

I've read approx. 30 reviews today about the 428s and most people complain about them been too quiet and generally lacking bass. I can't afford an amplifier on top of this so I'm leaning away from these.

 

I've not really read up much on the 465s (pounding headache plus I can't find my glasses...) but I've heard they have much more bass and are better overall.

 

I've never bought a pair of proper on ear headphones before so I don't know exactly what I'm looking for.

 

Could you guys advise me on this issue? They will be used for watching movies, listening to music (obviously..) and video gaming.

 

If it helps at all my taste in music is metal, classic rock and whatever you would consider dubstep to be.

 

(Started a new topic outside of this one without realising this one existed....sorry about that!)

 

Some feedback would be appreciated fairly quickly as I've only got until Friday 2nd to decide.



 


Edited by kenman345 - 11/27/11 at 11:01am
post #9540 of 29490

On ear or over ear isn't really an issue for me. I'm only going to be using them at home on my PC and my TV. I won't have an amp but will be getting an ASUS Xonar DG sound card for my PC which, if I remember correctly, has a built-in headphone amp and people rave about it so it is a definite purchase.

 

I've been reading some of these mod topics and in one of them this guy is raving about the upgrade from copper to silver wiring. As the HD465s have a detachable wire is it possible to replace it with a silver based one? Pre-made btw, I'm not ready for the home mod scene just yet.

 

Anyone have any suggestions for other headphones in my price range?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum