Hi Guys. I would really appreciate narrowing down my choices after doing a long dedicated research with too many options in my hand.
I am looking for a Gaming headset to be used for FPS gaming and listening to some electronic music.
I mostly play: Battlefield 3 and Bad Company 2 - Call of Duty Series - and other modern shooters.
HP Pavilion DV6-6096 Laptop
Soundcard: On-board IDT High definition with BEATS Audio Technology.
Sound input: Three 3.5mm jacks and USB 3.0 inputs.
Requirements listed according to priority:
1) Positioning of in-game enemies in terms of DIRECTION(as close as 360 degrees and not just left and right)+DISTANCE. Distinguishing footsteps. (Similar to the AD700 experience)
2) Immersion in terms of sound clarity and detail level, richness of explosions and bullet sounds, and hearing sounds i couldn't hear before.
3) Plug and play: The Headset should be full functional when plugged to my built in sound card on my laptop. I dont mind buying a USB sound card that supports Dolby Surround if you name me one. (Do i need it?)
So I'm looking for a compromise between excellent in-game positioning (and 3D audio mapping) and a high quality bass rich sound in one headset.
Budget: Between 40 and 80 dollars max including shipping. I live in France. Dont worry about that, i just need the name of the One headset.
Narrowed down list: People on this forum suggested to similar users to get the:
1) Samson SR850: 50mm drivers. up to 30KHz response. Users on Head-fi claim it to have an excellent soundstage and detail level almost similar to the AD700 AND it offers better bass. But it lacks long term comfort. I am not sure about how well it performs in positioning the enemy (direction+distance); if this happens to be also covered decently by the SR850 then i am going for it. 49 Euros
2)JVC HA-RX700 (plus modding?): a good bang for the buck! Anyone can give more insight on its performance in FPS games?comes with 50mm drivers. 41 Euros
3) Shure SRH440: 40mm drivers, up to 22KHz response.Recommended by a forum member. More Expensive: 75 Euros.
A general rule of thumb was that I should get a Headset that has a good neutral bass which i can lower down for better in-game positioning rather than a headset with little or no bass which provides synthetic quality audio if I am to manually increase its bass. (like the AD700).
My list of candidates before coming to this forum:
4) Corsair HS1 USB: also offers 5.1 Surround, can perceive sounds from the sides but Not quite well from front and rear. It beats the Creative tactic3D sigma Headset (Stereo) in gaming due to its surround features. 76.9 Euros
5) Creative Draco HS-850 Gaming Headset: 0-20KHz , 40mm. It has a 40% discount and claims to offer great directional positioning. Not high end. On sale @24 Euros down from 49.
6) Atari Live Gaming headset: low impedance, microphone freq response up to 16KHz, looks cool :P but no reviews. On sale @ 23 Euros down from 40
Based on your experience with any of those in the list, please help me choose one of those to match my requirements listed above. I am not sure if i need a true 5.1 Surround Headset for better positioning, feedback on this forum related to this subject got me confused.
Edited by ronfifer - 10/31/11 at 8:58pm