or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 561  

post #8401 of 29490

You could also try out the Denon D1100.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyzguy View Post

Thank you very much for your recomendations! Can anyone else second any of these? Also, I can go a little more expensive than these (if like $30 makes a difference) 

 

 

 



 

post #8402 of 29490

Man, the more reading of this forum and reviews I do, the more confused I get.  So many good options and varying opinions.  It seems like I should tailor my purchase to the music I listen to, is this a bad idea?

 

I've been under the impression that open headphones are "better" than closed ones.  Is this actually true?  I've been reading some reviews of the Denon 5000 that speak very highly of them, but they are closed, does this actually matter?


Edited by subzer0 - 10/20/11 at 8:56pm
post #8403 of 29490

It is a great idea.  If you need help doing so, spill it out on this thread.  We love to help.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzer0 View Post

Man, the more reading of this forum and reviews I do, the more confused I get.  So many good options and varying opinions.  It seems like I should tailor my purchase to the music I listen to, is this a bad idea?



 

post #8404 of 29490

I listen to all kinds of music like most people probably do on this forum, but I worship NIN & Smashing Pumpkins.  I guess ideally I'd have a headphone that could really sound great with their music, although they are different styles.  I also listen to a good amount of classical.  I am not totally sure of what headphones do what best though.  Here is the general, rough consensus of what I've gathered:

 

Sennheiser 650 - Seems to be universally respected and well thought of.  Hard to go wrong from what I've read.

 

Grado 325/Rs1/Rs2 - Opinions seem to vary greatly and I've read some interesting threads about their products.  Certainly intriguing, but might be better to avoid for now.

 

AKG 701/702 - Seems to be pretty well liked.  Might need to buy a new cable though from what it sounds like though.  

 

Denon 5000/7000 - I've read some glowing reviews of their headphones.  However, they are closed and I guess open always beats closed at the higher end.  If thats the case, I'll stick with open for now.

 

Beyer - Confuse me with their "semi open" terminology.  Some nice reviews though.

 

It seems like the 650's/AKG are my best bets, but I am not sure if they would really accentuate the music I really like.  I do plan on purchasing the e7 and e9 amps as well. 

 

Thanks to all advice.

 

 


Edited by subzer0 - 10/20/11 at 9:35pm
post #8405 of 29490


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzer0 View Post

Man, the more reading of this forum and reviews I do, the more confused I get.  So many good options and varying opinions.  It seems like I should tailor my purchase to the music I listen to, is this a bad idea?

 

I've been under the impression that open headphones are "better" than closed ones.  Is this actually true?  I've been reading some reviews of the Denon 5000 that speak very highly of them, but they are closed, does this actually matter?


While sound quality and tuning to match your preferences is good, comfort and function must also take priority. No sense playing good music if you can't stand to wear the headphones or can't hear them over the sound of a bus.

 

Open headphones *generally* have a better soundstage, less resonance/ringing, and flatter frequency response (namely less midbass hump present in many closed cans). However, there are many factors at play so you shouldn't judge purely on open vs closed.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzer0 View Post

I listen to all kinds of music like most people probably do on this forum, but I worship NIN & Smashing Pumpkins.  I guess ideally I'd have a headphone that could really sound great with their music, although they are different styles.  I also listen to a good amount of classical.  I am not totally sure of what headphones do what best though.  Here is the general, rough consensus of what I've gathered:

 

Sennheiser 650 - Seems to be universally respected and well thought of.  Hard to go wrong from what I've read.

 

Grado 325/Rs1/Rs2 - Opinions seem to vary greatly and I've read some interesting threads about their products.  Certainly intriguing, but might be better to avoid for now.

 

AKG 701/702 - Seems to be pretty well liked.  Might need to buy a new cable though from what it sounds like though.  

 

Denon 5000/7000 - I've read some glowing reviews of their headphones.  However, they are closed and I guess open always beats closed at the higher end.  If thats the case, I'll stick with open for now.

 

Beyer - Confuse me with their "semi open" terminology.  Some nice reviews though.

 

It seems like the 650's/AKG are my best bets, but I am not sure if they would really accentuate the music I really like.  I do plan on purchasing the e7 and e9 amps as well. 

 

Thanks to all advice.

 

 


The Sennheiser is probably the safer bet (and if you're budget conscious, I did not find there to be much difference between the 600 and 650). The AKG tends to have a more midtreble focus which makes it feel more detailed but perhaps dryer sound, compared to the Senn which is more midbass for a so called warmer sound.

 

Both can be driven by the e7/e9 combo. I personally like the Senns from a tube amp. The AKGs are known to pair well with the e9.


Edited by Armaegis - 10/20/11 at 10:09pm
post #8406 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemian View Post

I don't know much but which one is more noise cancelling and without leaking  it would be better for me.so close one ?

 

 



Closed 

post #8407 of 29490

Thanks for suggestions
 

 

Armaegis how about Audio Technica WS55 or SJ series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

I'll just list a few...

Senn PX100

Sony V6

Audio Technica M30/40

 

 

 

 

post #8408 of 29490

Thanks for the advice smile.gif

 

I'm a little confused about the DT990's:

 

"The DT 990 PPROs are open-backed headphones, which literally means the back of the ear cups aren’t totally covered with plastic. Open-back headphones make your playback to sound like you have a set of free-standing speakers right by your head, rather than echoing out at you from an enclosed space. Of course, the downside to this airy audio quality is you’ll be able to hear everything happening around you and everyone around you will hear your music. Therefore, the DT 990 PROs should really only be used indoors."

 

So this makes them some kind of open/closed hybrid?confused.gif

 

Also, what happens when one uses a 600 ohm can without amplification, like in an ipod?  Which version is preferable for e7/e9 amps, the 250 or 600?

 


Edited by subzer0 - 10/21/11 at 6:31am
post #8409 of 29490

No, they are completely open.  The DT880 is semi open (open/closed hybrid).  Also, no way you are going to play the 600 ohm version out of an iPod.  Hell, the 32 ohm version is underpowered by an iPod.  I think you would be fine with the 600 ohm version if you are only using it with a desktop amp.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzer0 View Post

Thanks for the advice smile.gif

 

I'm a little confused about the DT990's:

 

"The DT 990 PPROs are open-backed headphones, which literally means the back of the ear cups aren’t totally covered with plastic. Open-back headphones make your playback to sound like you have a set of free-standing speakers right by your head, rather than echoing out at you from an enclosed space. Of course, the downside to this airy audio quality is you’ll be able to hear everything happening around you and everyone around you will hear your music. Therefore, the DT 990 PROs should really only be used indoors."

 

So this makes them some kind of open/closed hybrid?confused.gif

 

Also, what happens when one uses a 600 ohm can without amplification, like in an ipod?  Which version is preferable for e7/e9 amps, the 250 or 600?

 



 

post #8410 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemian View Post

Thanks for suggestions 

 

Armaegis how about Audio Technica WS55 or SJ series?

 


I haven't heard either of those, sorry.

 


 

 

post #8411 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

 

 


Of those listed, I would only consider the HD25 portable, and debatably the 940.

 

Maybe consider one of these... http://www.head-fi.org/t/574617/review-comparison-beyerdynamic-dt1350-t50p-sennheiser-hd25-1-ii-hd25-13-ii-pioneer-hdj-2000-v-moda-m80-aiaiai-tma-1

 

Honestly speaking Armaegis, I've already read your reviews ^_^
Loved it, but I've heard the HD25s, and it's an almost identical sound.

Any other suggestions, scratch portability actually.
 

 

post #8412 of 29490


Yeah I'll check them out! I know we're talking about closed cans here but do you think the D1100 would beat out the SRH 440 in terms of soundstage? On that note, are there any closed cans with good soundstage? I feel like I'm being indecisive and would like some of everything redface.gif.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxid10t View Post

You could also try out the Denon D1100. 

 


As always, I'm open to more suggestions. Here's what I'm looking for (in order of priority):

 

1. Something around $150 (Nothing over 200 taxed and shipped)
2. Durable
3. Closed
4. 65% music (electronic, pop/hip-hop, soft rock), 35% gaming (RTS, FPS)
5. Portable

6. Not Sennheiser (though if a pair of Senns are what fit the above needs, then I'll go with Senn)

post #8413 of 29490

Why not Senns? Where are you located (taxes)? 

 

Stab in the dark would be Senn HD25-1 II.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyzguy View Post


Yeah I'll check them out! I know we're talking about closed cans here but do you think the D1100 would beat out the SRH 440 in terms of soundstage? On that note, are there any closed cans with good soundstage? I feel like I'm being indecisive and would like some of everything redface.gif.
 


As always, I'm open to more suggestions. Here's what I'm looking for (in order of priority):

 

1. Something around $150 (Nothing over 200 taxed and shipped)
2. Durable
3. Closed
4. 65% music (electronic, pop/hip-hop, soft rock), 35% gaming (RTS, FPS)
5. Portable

6. Not Sennheiser (though if a pair of Senns are what fit the above needs, then I'll go with Senn)



 

 

post #8414 of 29490

Hey all, I'm new to Head-Fi!

 

I'm in the market for some closed cans <= $100. I'm a computer enthusiast who enjoys music (most commonly classical, but do enjoy pop music as well), and wants good, clean positional audio from games (particularly FPS). My current sound setup consists of an Asus Xonar DX sound card (which should have enough power to amp most headphones) and Sony MDR-XD200 (a $20 pair of cans.) I like bass, but not so much that it overshadows everything else.

 

I've done some research on the following, but am still unsure:

  • Sennheiser HD 448
  • Shure SRH-440
  • Samson SR-850
  • Sony MDR-V6
  • Shure SRH-440
  • Grado SR60i, SR80i

 

Please suggest which of these (or something entirely) would be best for my setup and usage habits. Thanks!

post #8415 of 29490
Although the grado's may sound good, they're deffinatly open cans which means they won't fit your closed can needs.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum