Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 555  

post #8311 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemian View Post

Hi I'm new here.I'm looking for over ear headphones for travelling and home usage.I prefer bass heavy,deep but not too powerful.I don't want to get migraine which I'm having this problem with sharp highs too.My budget  is around 70$,I'm gonna buy from accesory jack.A friend of mine said that I should get a Senn but I couldn't decide because I think I can find better level headphone from another with this budget,maybe ATH or Sony.I'm curious about Audio-Technica ATH-WS55 and WS50 and also Audio-Technica ATH-SJ55.Suggestions??

 

PS:I don't want to use amps right now



O.K. I'm gonna be the first, before Dsnuts sees this.  Check out the thread on Panasonic HTF600s.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/571005/the-panasonic-rp-htf600-s-headphones-more-fun-than-the-hd650

 

They go for about $30 and for another $20 you can get velour pads that make them sound & feel better.

I'll let all the other bassheads tell you about how great that is.

 

I've got an order in for a pair as we speak.

 

I also have Senns HD555 which can be had for about $90 new and a lot cheaper used.  Modded with the 595 mod, the bass is just a tiny bit more than I like, but it's real clean and I'm not much of a basshead and prefer a fairly balanced headphone.

post #8312 of 29490

Hi, I'm a junior in highschool and have been an audiophile for a couple years but could never afford any good headphones. I've been listening to the piece of crap that is the Apple ear buds and I just can't stand them anymore. So I finally have convinced my parents to let me buy a good air of headphones but I have a budget of about $300 because my dad does not want me to have such expensive headphones at school (I board). Luckily for me he is also an audiophile, but hasn't had good stuff since he was young, and appreciates this stuff. So my main question is what is better for in dorm listening, for rock, metal, punk, alternative, classic rock, and everything else but mainly the first ones mentioned? I listen to everything. I would like it to be able to do portable, but I dont care if I look stupid really. I want an all rounder that is good without an amp, but in the future when I do get an amp will benefit from it. Is it worth it to spend the extra $50 bucks for the D2000 on HeadRoom? Or get it from EBay for $240? Or is the HE-300 worth it? I love the idea of a detachable cord and a good hard case, but in the end I really just want the sound. Thanks

post #8313 of 29490

Actually I'm not a basshead either but I'm sick listening to some crappy highs lately.I need some deepness.maybe a balanced headphone would work for me too.I'm going to buy from accessory jack website so I can't get these Panasonics.But thanks for the suggestion:)

 

How about aerial 7 phoenix chino brown model?

 

I really like those.Buy the way I'm listening indie and acoustic mostly.

post #8314 of 29490


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemian View Post

Actually I'm not a basshead either but I'm sick listening to some crappy highs lately.I need some deepness.maybe a balanced headphone would work for me too.I'm going to buy from accessory jack website so I can't get these Panasonics.But thanks for the suggestion:)

 

How about aerial 7 phoenix chino brown model?

 

I really like those.Buy the way I'm listening indie and acoustic mostly.



Hmmm.  I must've missed the part about accessory jack.  I'm not familiar with that site, or the aerial 7s.  Sorry.  The only other balanced headphone besides the HD555's in that price range I'm familiar with would be the studio monitors from Sony, like the MDR V6 or 7506(?), or the Superlux 668s, which don't have real wide distribution.  Is there some particular reason you're limited to accessory jack?  Gift card or something?

BTW, I listen to mostly classic rock, acoustic and classical. Not much indie, but we'd probably like the same sound signature.


Edited by sailorman - 10/19/11 at 4:12pm
post #8315 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by warman0712 View Post

Hi, I'm a junior in highschool and have been an audiophile for a couple years but could never afford any good headphones. I've been listening to the piece of crap that is the Apple ear buds and I just can't stand them anymore. So I finally have convinced my parents to let me buy a good air of headphones but I have a budget of about $300 because my dad does not want me to have such expensive headphones at school (I board). Luckily for me he is also an audiophile, but hasn't had good stuff since he was young, and appreciates this stuff. So my main question is what is better for in dorm listening, for rock, metal, punk, alternative, classic rock, and everything else but mainly the first ones mentioned? I listen to everything. I would like it to be able to do portable, but I dont care if I look stupid really. I want an all rounder that is good without an amp, but in the future when I do get an amp will benefit from it. Is it worth it to spend the extra $50 bucks for the D2000 on HeadRoom? Or get it from EBay for $240? Or is the HE-300 worth it? I love the idea of a detachable cord and a good hard case, but in the end I really just want the sound. Thanks



I'm not going to recommend a specific headphone, except to say that if portability is not that big a deal to you, don't give it much weight in your selection. Generally, you pay for portability in terms of SQ or build or money.  Also, you should probably settle on the headphones before you decide which amp to buy.  Certain amps work better with certain headphones and a particular amp might be overkill or inadequate or just not ideal for a given model of headphone.  

 

In general Ebay is o.k. for stuff where there's not a lot of counterfeiting going on.  A lot of regular audio stores also sell on Ebay, so it's usually a matter of the seller's reputation and feedback.  Is he an authorized dealer? Does he have a regular brick and mortar store somewhere? Does he have a separate website online?  You can contact an ebay seller and ask. They aren't allowed to tell you in their ebay listing if they have a website independent from Ebay.  Ebay has a (very) generous return policy as well.  You can pretty much return anything for any reason, or no reason at all, within 45 days, regardless of the stated return policy of the particular seller.  That's more generous than a lot of online and B&M stores.

post #8316 of 29490

Sounds like this guy needs a pair of Grados.  These ones would do well http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-Series-SR325is-Headphones/dp/B000J1N3HW :)
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warman0712 View Post

Hi, I'm a junior in highschool and have been an audiophile for a couple years but could never afford any good headphones. I've been listening to the piece of crap that is the Apple ear buds and I just can't stand them anymore. So I finally have convinced my parents to let me buy a good air of headphones but I have a budget of about $300 because my dad does not want me to have such expensive headphones at school (I board). Luckily for me he is also an audiophile, but hasn't had good stuff since he was young, and appreciates this stuff. So my main question is what is better for in dorm listening, for rock, metal, punk, alternative, classic rock, and everything else but mainly the first ones mentioned? I listen to everything. I would like it to be able to do portable, but I dont care if I look stupid really. I want an all rounder that is good without an amp, but in the future when I do get an amp will benefit from it. Is it worth it to spend the extra $50 bucks for the D2000 on HeadRoom? Or get it from EBay for $240? Or is the HE-300 worth it? I love the idea of a detachable cord and a good hard case, but in the end I really just want the sound. Thanks



 

post #8317 of 29490


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorman View Post

 

Hmmm.  I must've missed the part about accessory jack.  I'm not familiar with that site, or the aerial 7s.  Sorry.  The only other balanced headphone besides the HD555's in that price range I'm familiar with would be the studio monitors from Sony, like the MDR V6 or 7506(?), or the Superlux 668s, which don't have real wide distribution.  Is there some particular reason you're limited to accessory jack?  Gift card or something?

BTW, I listen to mostly classic rock, acoustic and classical. Not much indie, but we'd probably like the same sound signature.



I can't get stuff from amazon.They don't have shipping to my country electronics.I heard accessoryjack is reliable from a local forum,but I'm looking for options.MDR V6 looks good,I will check it out.

 

I listen classic rock too,but generally people want to listen rock with more crispy highs unlike me

post #8318 of 29490

I've been leaning more to the Denon only because its older and has a reputation and I can't wait to see about the HiFiMAN. As well I've heard it was a pretty good all-rounder. As well I did look into the Grado and thought about them but I just want a headphone that's a bit better rounded and a better build quality. I like the sound of Grado a lot but ive heard that the Denon is better rounded.

post #8319 of 29490

If build quality is a concern the Denons aren't the way to go either, IMO. I loved my Denons to death but they just feel poorly built.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warman0712 View Post

I've been leaning more to the Denon only because its older and has a reputation and I can't wait to see about the HiFiMAN. As well I've heard it was a pretty good all-rounder. As well I did look into the Grado and thought about them but I just want a headphone that's a bit better rounded and a better build quality. I like the sound of Grado a lot but ive heard that the Denon is better rounded.



 

 

post #8320 of 29490

I'm looking at the following...help?  (i listen to rap and rock and lots of acoustic stuff)...i don't need huge bass 'spleen shattering' bass, but i do listen to rap and would like it to be very 'present'

 

Sony MDR-v6

Sennheiser HD280

Klipsch image one

 

 

only looking at over the ear, and looking for comfort and sound quality

post #8321 of 29490

What would you say then for the same price? If it's worth sacrificing a bit of build quality for sound quality then which is better? Denon or Grado? If it's worth anything I don't want something that is too analytical against mid quality music.

post #8322 of 29490

se215 or super.fi 3?

i have ibeats, these should be an upgrade right?

post #8323 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by warman0712 View Post

What would you say then for the same price? If it's worth sacrificing a bit of build quality for sound quality then which is better? Denon or Grado? If it's worth anything I don't want something that is too analytical against mid quality music.


Warman - we can narrow it better if you answer following:

 

Assuming because you mentioned portable and also dorm living - do you want your cans:

 

(a) Closed or open (assume closed)

(b) On ear (supra-aural) or over ear (circumaural) - or doesn't it matter?

 

post #8324 of 29490

Saw this thread right after I made my own (ack! anyone know how to delete threads, or is it just not possible?)

I'm a beginner when it comes to headphones. I've had the typical apple earbuds, KSC75, and KTXPRO1. Both the KSC75 and KTXPRO1 had good sound quality given their price, but I found that they cut out after less than a year of use. So now I'm trying to look for durable headphones with good sound quality, preferably under $100 and preferably on the lightweight side so I can wear them outside and on the bus. Do you think that the JVC HARX700/900 or the ATH-M30s would be a good choice? I'm worried about the cord length on those... Any other suggestions? I've looked around a lot, but can't come to a decision!

 

Oh, I'd be using them for music (variety of genres i.e. classical, pop, rock, j-pop) listening as well as videos/movies. Thanks in advance!

post #8325 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by witac View Post

I'm looking at the following...help?  (i listen to rap and rock and lots of acoustic stuff)...i don't need huge bass 'spleen shattering' bass, but i do listen to rap and would like it to be very 'present'

 

Sony MDR-v6

Sennheiser HD280

Klipsch image one

 

 

only looking at over the ear, and looking for comfort and sound quality



For your genres, my vote goes to the V6.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warman0712 View Post

What would you say then for the same price? If it's worth sacrificing a bit of build quality for sound quality then which is better? Denon or Grado? If it's worth anything I don't want something that is too analytical against mid quality music.



Not knowing your other factors... the Denon.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy302 View Post

se215 or super.fi 3?

i have ibeats, these should be an upgrade right?



I like the Shure, but they're a tricky fit.



Quote:
Originally Posted by sagebrushh View Post

Saw this thread right after I made my own (ack! anyone know how to delete threads, or is it just not possible?)I'm a beginner when it comes to headphones. I've had the typical apple earbuds, KSC75, and KTXPRO1. Both the KSC75 and KTXPRO1 had good sound quality given their price, but I found that they cut out after less than a year of use. So now I'm trying to look for durable headphones with good sound quality, preferably under $100 and preferably on the lightweight side so I can wear them outside and on the bus. Do you think that the JVC HARX700/900 or the ATH-M30s would be a good choice? I'm worried about the cord length on those... Any other suggestions? I've looked around a lot, but can't come to a decision!

 

Oh, I'd be using them for music (variety of genres i.e. classical, pop, rock, j-pop) listening as well as videos/movies. Thanks in advance!



Durable... Sony V6 is a solid choice in that budget.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum