or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 541  

post #8101 of 29490

Holy crap HD 598. This is the perfect-est post I've ever seen to recommend them on.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmitch5 View Post

 

Hey all,

I'm new to the whole hi-fi game, so I'm looking for some advice.  I want a pair of full-sized headphones for home stereo and mobile use.  I'm looking to spend around $200.

 

Aesthetics are important.  I love the Grado look but from what I've read, they aren't the headphones for me.  Good sound separation is an absolute must.  I would say clarity and detail of the mids and highs is second most important.  I don't need an excessive amount of bass, but it is important for the lows to be tight and controlled.

 

I'll be listening to a lot of ambient and experimental music, along with some synth pop and indie rock.  Pretty much all of the music I listen to on a regular basis employs a hefty amount of reverb, so I'm really looking for some cans that can delve inside that and pick out the distinction that I'm probably missing.

 

I'm interested in getting a portable headphone amp too, so if you have any suggestions there, they'd be appreciated as well.



 

 

post #8102 of 29490

MDR 7506. Fairly comfy, punchy enough for bassier genres, but neutral enough for the rest. Well within budget.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracylynn MkII View Post

Need a great open/closed pair of headphones between $100-$150 for home listening genres listened to are rock, electronica, anime music, pop music.

 

Doing this on behalf of a friend.



 

 

post #8103 of 29490

Hello,

 

I am looking for a good set of full size budget cans primarily for listening to music. I have an ipod touch with a fiio e6. I was wondering what anyone here thinks about the CAD Audio mh310 vs. the Panasonic RP HTF600? I listen to DnB and Dubstep mostly with some random other idm and electronic music. I am mostly interested in good soundstage, detail, and bass extension. My favorite cans sound wise right now are my MEElec CC51 but I was looking for something circumaural this time. Any info on these or other ~$50 phones would be much appreciated.

 

Oh also are the CAD Audio mh310 the Superlux 662F? I think they are 662 series but i dont know if they are F, B or regular.

post #8104 of 29490

That color scheme is awesome!!! I'm definitely going to check these out.  Do you think an iPod is enough to drive them, or do you recommend a portable headphone amp?

post #8105 of 29490
Hello I need some help. I'm looking to get a pair of good headphones towards the holidays. I listen to rap for the most part and my price range is 300-350 dollars. Can somebody recomend a few different headphones for me?
post #8106 of 29490

iPod is plenty. They're very easy to drive. They are open though so you won't get isolation on the go. They'll also let other people hear your music. Much like the mentioned Grados. Just a heads up.

 

But yeah...the 598 is absolutely perfect beyond that, IMO.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmitch5 View Post

That color scheme is awesome!!! I'm definitely going to check these out.  Do you think an iPod is enough to drive them, or do you recommend a portable headphone amp?



 

How do you like your bass? Kickin' or rockin'? lol

 

Basically, do you want it to sound like a subwoofer, or do you want it to knock your head off? The 2 bass kings of headphones are in that price range. Gotta know.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEETS View Post

Hello I need some help. I'm looking to get a pair of good headphones towards the holidays. I listen to rap for the most part and my price range is 300-350 dollars. Can somebody recomend a few different headphones for me?


 

 

post #8107 of 29490

Oh and just a heads up to anyone considering the Koss ProDJ100 (or just interested at all)...you can get them from Electronics-Expo for just under 50 USD right now with the coupon code: MROCTOBER

 

I just bought a pair of my own. Excellent cans.

post #8108 of 29490

From what I've read online, the HD 598 need to leak a substantial amount.  Can you think of any closed headphones that would work well for me in the same price range?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

iPod is plenty. They're very easy to drive. They are open though so you won't get isolation on the go. They'll also let other people hear your music. Much like the mentioned Grados. Just a heads up.

 

 



 

post #8109 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmitch5 View Post

 

Hey all,

I'm new to the whole hi-fi game, so I'm looking for some advice.  I want a pair of full-sized headphones for home stereo and mobile use.  I'm looking to spend around $200.

 

Aesthetics are important.  I love the Grado look but from what I've read, they aren't the headphones for me.  Good sound separation is an absolute must.  I would say clarity and detail of the mids and highs is second most important.  I don't need an excessive amount of bass, but it is important for the lows to be tight and controlled.

 

I'll be listening to a lot of ambient and experimental music, along with some synth pop and indie rock.  Pretty much all of the music I listen to on a regular basis employs a hefty amount of reverb, so I'm really looking for some cans that can delve inside that and pick out the distinction that I'm probably missing.

 

I'm interested in getting a portable headphone amp too, so if you have any suggestions there, they'd be appreciated as well.


Quote:

Originally Posted by jlmitch5 View Post

From what I've read online, the HD 598 need to leak a substantial amount.  Can you think of any closed headphones that would work well for me in the same price range? 

 


Sounds a lot like the SRH940.  Although I didn't like them personally for classic rock, they were very good for clarity, separation and excellent for synth pop (Men Without Hats) & ambient (High Skies).  Great with female vocals.  Forward mids with a lot of warmth, overall signature bright (but not at all sibilant) and airy.  Bass was very tight and controlled - mid-bass is a little recessed (which is the one thing I didn't particularly like).  Closed can, portable, and doesn't need amping.  Ticks all of your boxes.

 

If you do want a portable amp - and don't want to be spending a lot - have a look at the Fiio E11.  The bass boost on it is very controlled.  Really good value.

 

post #8110 of 29490

I agree on this recommendation. Probably would've been mine...I thought when you mentioned Grados you were okay with open designs. It's a shame you need 'em closed.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post




Quote:


Sounds a lot like the SRH940.  Although I didn't like them personally for classic rock, they were very good for clarity, separation and excellent for synth pop (Men Without Hats) & ambient (High Skies).  Great with female vocals.  Forward mids with a lot of warmth, overall signature bright (but not at all sibilant) and airy.  Bass was very tight and controlled - mid-bass is a little recessed (which is the one thing I didn't particularly like).  Closed can, portable, and doesn't need amping.  Ticks all of your boxes.

 

If you do want a portable amp - and don't want to be spending a lot - have a look at the Fiio E11.  The bass boost on it is very controlled.  Really good value.

 



 

 

post #8111 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azerk View Post

Thanks for the help Armigis, so without noise cancellation, have you any other suggestions. I'm reading reviews on the XB  and I hear they leak alot! Is this true? I will be using them in school and  in the library so I want minimal leakage. Any  other suggestions that may be better value for money but for now I'll probably go with the XB 500 or 700 for now.  Under $100 maximum sound and minimal leakage. Remember I'm new to this.

-Thanks so far


I didn't think they leaked that badly... but I'm not a crazy loud listener either. 

 

For maximum isolation on a budget, the HD280 is hard to beat. 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Goymer View Post

Thanks Armaegis.I had also considered the DT880 but yes I thought it would require an amp.Although I heard the DT880 is more neutral and could be called 'boring' plus the soundstage is not nearly as wide apparently. Oh one thing that put me off about the HD 598 is it has been said to be "grainy", what exactly does that mean? 

Thanks

 


I generally don't even like Beyers, but if I had to pick one it would be the DT880 (and in fact I do have one at the moment). Soundstage is fairly wide actually.

 

Grainy is a weird term, and I would describe it as perhaps a bit of peakiness in the midhighs. Someone else might define it differently though.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnB Sublimity View Post

Hey I could sure use some assistance.  I'm trying to resuscitate my Sennheiser PMX-100's which I LOVE.  I've had them for 2 years now and use them to workout.  Basically the cabling that plugs into the jack was loose causing me to lose audio in 1 ear or if I twisted and played with the cord I could temporarily get sound in both ears if I held the cord.  Unfortunately this doesn't work well because a mere couple minutes after I let go of the cord I lose audio again :(

 

Anyways I got one of these plugs from radio shack and trying to fix it.  I'm still tinkering with it trying to get the audio quality as good as before but haven't gotten it yet. 

 

I need to find a new set of headphones for $35 or less.  I listen to mostly Drum and Bass, Hip Hop, UK Garage, House...lots of beats with bass.  I'm open to anything that won't slip out of my ears if I'm sweating and moving around in my workouts and it needs to be durable. 

 

I've tried the Koss Sportapro's in the past but they're god awful ugly.  From what I've read these are the only behind the neck headphones out there in my price range that's supposed to deliver good bass.  I'm really looking for anything comparable to the Sennhesier PMX-100's....I really love the SQ they produce.

 

I've never tried IEM's, but the SoundMagic E10's are right at $34.95 and based on what I've read they would sound decent.  I don't know how durable IEM's are though and if they'd stay in my ears during workouts.

 

Again any assistance is appreciated...working out with crap SQ is a nightmare!!!  Oh yeah and my source is a Sony NWZ E-354 mp3 player.

 

 


This is their current behind the head sport line which is partially water/sweat resistant:

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_sport-line_504046


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmitch5 View Post

 

Hey all,

I'm new to the whole hi-fi game, so I'm looking for some advice.  I want a pair of full-sized headphones for home stereo and mobile use.  I'm looking to spend around $200.

 

Aesthetics are important.  I love the Grado look but from what I've read, they aren't the headphones for me.  Good sound separation is an absolute must.  I would say clarity and detail of the mids and highs is second most important.  I don't need an excessive amount of bass, but it is important for the lows to be tight and controlled.

 

I'll be listening to a lot of ambient and experimental music, along with some synth pop and indie rock.  Pretty much all of the music I listen to on a regular basis employs a hefty amount of reverb, so I'm really looking for some cans that can delve inside that and pick out the distinction that I'm probably missing.

 

I'm interested in getting a portable headphone amp too, so if you have any suggestions there, they'd be appreciated as well.


If it were strictly home use I would say get a K701. For portable use you then also need isolation and durability, and you want aesthetics, er... Shure 940 is out of your budget, maybe Sony ZX700?

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracylynn MkII View Post

Need a great open/closed pair of headphones between $100-$150 for home listening genres listened to are rock, electronica, anime music, pop music.

 

Doing this on behalf of a friend.


random suggestions:

Pioneer HDJ-500

Senn HD558

Shure 840

Grado SR125

 

 


 



Quote:
Originally Posted by PEETS View Post

Hello I need some help. I'm looking to get a pair of good headphones towards the holidays. I listen to rap for the most part and my price range is 300-350 dollars. Can somebody recomend a few different headphones for me?


Denon D2000

Ultrasone HFI2400

 


 

 

 

post #8112 of 29490

 

 

I am new to this and I want to get a pair of noise cancelling or over ear headphones. I want the best sound and minimal leaking for under $100. I've got this far.

 

         I'm thinking of getting the Sony MDRNC40 Noise Cancelling Headphones.

I know they are noise cancelling and they stop me hearing outside when they are on,
But do they work both ways?
 
If you own or have owned these headphones please give me a general review and what you thought of them.
 
I am also thinking of getting the Sony Xbass MDR-XB300 Headphones. I mainly listen to Dubstep, Drum'n'Bass, Hardstyle, Electro, etc, so good Bass is essential 
Again:Do they leak much? 
Can other people hear what I'm listening to?
I need to be able to use them in a library and in school.
 
I want the best sound quality but I need to be able to use them in library and school. 
Any other suggestions?
MY SKYPE; paddyquigley1
feell free to add me
 

 

post #8113 of 29490

So...this might be a bit of a post from a long-time lurker (6 years!).

 

I'm looking for a good all-rounder for $100, which is unfortunately all I can afford. I have a Sennheiser HD 555 that's been with me for about 6 years and is falling apart, which is breaking my heart, and JVC FX 33 Marshmallows for almost as long. I love the HD 555 but obviously they aren't portable, and the Marshmallows are exhausting and uncomfortable to wear for more than an hour.

 

What I'm hoping to find is something that I can use both at home and on-the-go. I don't mind having to throw it in my backpack, but just want the ability to. I would like to use it both for gaming and music, with musical tastes being a bit broad, from jazz to hip-hop, but mostly acoustic and rock oriented. Comfort is really key, as I wear glasses.

 

Am I asking for too much? Would I be better served getting two different $50 pairs of headphones? From what I can tell, IEM are not suitable at all for gaming.

 

I used to have the AKG k26p but found the clamping force pretty unbearable. I also had the JVC HAS700, which pressed against the point where my the back of my jaw meets my neck and made it very sore. I was thinking about the Sony MDR-ZX700, since from what I've read they have pretty decent isolation, but after the JVC and also trying other closed circumaural sets, I'm just really worried that they're not for me.

 

Any help would be tremendously appreciated. Thanks so much!

post #8114 of 29490

Thank you for the recommendation.  After reading lots of reviews about the PMX-680's, while durable, appear to lack the SQ I need. 

 

Bass is the most important sound signature I'm looking for...but I don't want it muddied either.  I like hearing sub bass frequencies and rolling basslines in drum and bass music.  When I listen to hip hop, I like punchy tight bass that also delivers broad sound spectrum allowing me to hear distinguished mid's and high's.  The PMX-100s did a fantastic job of delivering warm bass (as a bonus sometimes I could even feel the phones vibrating a little on my ears)  and then would cleanly separate the mids/highs.  Overall it was a fun headphone to listen to with my mp3 player.

 

Maybe I"m spoiled with the SQ my workout phones were producing?  The easiest thing to do would be to get the same set but they don't make em anymore and the PX-100's use the same drivers but they're over my budget.  What headphones are other basshead gym enthusiasts using?

post #8115 of 29490

MorbidToaster thanks for the heads up on the Koss HP. I'm in for one!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum