or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 522  

post #7816 of 29490

Recently got some VSonic GR07 IEMs and they've ruined my ears - I can't listen to my old cheapo headphones anymore.  The VSonics aren't really comfortable enough for prolonged at-home listening though, so I'm looking for a decent set of full-size cans.  I prefer circumaural - supra-aurals have never been comfortable for me.  They'll be driven out of my laptop's headphone jack (I know, I know...) with the Realtek HD codec and THX TruStudio drivers. 

 

I plan on using these for music, gaming, and movies.  My music preferences are pretty varied, ranging from pop to rock to vocal to metal with some electronic thrown in for good measure.  The only major genres that I don't have significant quantities of are rap and country.  As such, I don't need massive quantities of bass, but I do like it to be there when needed.  So far, the GR07s have done a pretty good job of this, so something with a similar sound signature would be ideal I think.  Budget is ~$100.

 

So far, I'm looking at:

 

Samson SR850/Superlux 668b (look like pretty good deals)

Fischer Audio FA-011 (really like the look of these, though some reviews suggest they may have too much bass for my taste and they're a tad over budget)

ATH AD700 (too weak in the bass perhaps?)

post #7817 of 29490
I nearly sold my SRH750DJs, and getting a different pair because they're too uncomfortable. I'm deciding between M50, SRH840, and maybe HD25 if they're on sale at Future Shop soon. What should I get? I listen to electronica, hiphop, maybe pop.
post #7818 of 29490


Ok down to XB700 vs XB1000

 

$100 overnight shipped vs $290 3-5 day shipped from japan

 

Is this really worth a $190 upgrade?  I mean I could easily pick up the 700s and an amp...hell i could even get the xb700s and the dt770 for same price as the xb1000's...

 

I love the xb1000's when it comes to size and looks...just having trouble pulling the trigger, when I could literally buy three xb700s for the same price lol.

 

 

Also I've been looking around for a place to try them out and decide for myself...but have had no luck here in El Paso, TX.  Any ideas?

post #7819 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by wohast View Post

Ok down to XB700 vs XB1000

 

$100 overnight shipped vs $290 3-5 day shipped from japan

 

Is this really worth a $190 upgrade?  I mean I could easily pick up the 700s and an amp...hell i could even get the xb700s and the dt770 for same price as the xb1000's...

 

I love the xb1000's when it comes to size and looks...just having trouble pulling the trigger, when I could literally buy three xb700s for the same price lol.

 

 

Also I've been looking around for a place to try them out and decide for myself...but have had no luck here in El Paso, TX.  Any ideas?

 

Are you looking to go portable with these? I noticed you were talking about performance out of an iPhone...

I think DT770 w/FiiO e11 is better than just a Sony XB1000 running unamped, and the DT770/FiiO combo will run you about the same price as the XB1000.  I am very familiar with the DT770 (32 ohm version, actually) and it hits pretty hard in the low end and has a ton of space to the sound when amped properly.  The FiiO e11 should drive the 80 ohm version just fine.

 

I have not had any time with the XB1000, but as a rule of thumb I would rather have a lesser headphone that was amped properly than a better headphone that wasn't being driven correctly - and I am not even suggesting the XB1000 is better than the Beyer.

 

The beyer is comfy, isolates really well, and has more than enough low end...good low end, not the muddy kind either.  Beyer does bass right in my experience, as long as you're okay with some U shaped character to the sound.

 

Also, in the 290 realm, have you considered the Ultrasone PRO750? Those have some pretty authoritative bass as well.  You'll have to read up on S-logic though. Some love it and others it just isn't their cup of tea
 

 

post #7820 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by wohast View Post

Ok down to XB700 vs XB1000

 

$100 overnight shipped vs $290 3-5 day shipped from japan

 

Is this really worth a $190 upgrade?  I mean I could easily pick up the 700s and an amp...hell i could even get the xb700s and the dt770 for same price as the xb1000's...

 

I love the xb1000's when it comes to size and looks...just having trouble pulling the trigger, when I could literally buy three xb700s for the same price lol.

 

 

Also I've been looking around for a place to try them out and decide for myself...but have had no luck here in El Paso, TX.  Any ideas?


Do not pay that much for the XB1000.

 

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=sony+xb+1000&cid=17099021000220810181&os=sellers

 

They've actually just been released in North America so there's no real need to import them. Prices will probably drop to at least half the official MSRP eventually if the pricing on these follows normal trends. Also, don't bother getting them if you're not planning to use an amp.

post #7821 of 29490

 

Currently looking for a new pair of headphones, which I will be using mainly for gaming(FPS) and music(rock, pop, and " epic " soundtracks from games and movies).

 

Rather than wanting to hear every footstep and such, I want to be immersed in the action, almost like you can feel every bullet you fire, explosions etc.

 

Also, I want them to be fun, and be able to keep up with songs that can go into overdrive sometimes. Yeah, I like bass aswell. 

 

Owned a pair of DT770 80ohm before, though they didn't really felt good on my head(their sound was great though!). 

 

These are the ones I've been reading about

 

Sennheiser HD598 (Will borrow these for testing)

Fischer Audio FA-011 (Could be annoying to test these, since I can only order them from Russia) 

Ultrasone HFI-780 / Pro 900

Audio Technica ATH-AD700 (Will borrow these for testing, though these will probably go back since they seem to be missing that oomph, at least that's the impression I get)

 

 

Will be using a simple Asus Xonar DX at the moment, not having any plans of getting an amp just yet. 

 

So to put it simple: Great for gaming(FPS), nice and deep(but tight) bass, play rock, pop and such with ease.

Budget around 100-250 USD. 

post #7822 of 29490

edit: i decide to keep my akg k181dj and sell vsonic GR07 just because i need € and akg have 2 years warranty


Edited by possante87 - 10/4/11 at 3:56am
post #7823 of 29490


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeANite View Post

Recently got some VSonic GR07 IEMs and they've ruined my ears - I can't listen to my old cheapo headphones anymore.  The VSonics aren't really comfortable enough for prolonged at-home listening though, so I'm looking for a decent set of full-size cans.  I prefer circumaural - supra-aurals have never been comfortable for me.  They'll be driven out of my laptop's headphone jack (I know, I know...) with the Realtek HD codec and THX TruStudio drivers. 

 

I plan on using these for music, gaming, and movies.  My music preferences are pretty varied, ranging from pop to rock to vocal to metal with some electronic thrown in for good measure.  The only major genres that I don't have significant quantities of are rap and country.  As such, I don't need massive quantities of bass, but I do like it to be there when needed.  So far, the GR07s have done a pretty good job of this, so something with a similar sound signature would be ideal I think.  Budget is ~$100.

 

So far, I'm looking at:

 

Samson SR850/Superlux 668b (look like pretty good deals)

Fischer Audio FA-011 (really like the look of these, though some reviews suggest they may have too much bass for my taste and they're a tad over budget)

ATH AD700 (too weak in the bass perhaps?)



Vsonic GR07 uncomfortable? man that is just crazy, maybe you just only have try the stock tips. vsonic gr07 + real sony hybrid is perfect in terms of confort. 

post #7824 of 29490

http://youtu.be/2cXDgFwE13g

On this song above, what range is the bass mostly?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Audiohead View Post

 

Are you looking to go portable with these? I noticed you were talking about performance out of an iPhone...

I think DT770 w/FiiO e11 is better than just a Sony XB1000 running unamped, and the DT770/FiiO combo will run you about the same price as the XB1000.  I am very familiar with the DT770 (32 ohm version, actually) and it hits pretty hard in the low end and has a ton of space to the sound when amped properly.  The FiiO e11 should drive the 80 ohm version just fine.

 

I have not had any time with the XB1000, but as a rule of thumb I would rather have a lesser headphone that was amped properly than a better headphone that wasn't being driven correctly - and I am not even suggesting the XB1000 is better than the Beyer.

 

The beyer is comfy, isolates really well, and has more than enough low end...good low end, not the muddy kind either.  Beyer does bass right in my experience, as long as you're okay with some U shaped character to the sound.

 

Also, in the 290 realm, have you considered the Ultrasone PRO750? Those have some pretty authoritative bass as well.  You'll have to read up on S-logic though. Some love it and others it just isn't their cup of tea 

 

 

I looked into the Ultrasones at first but after reading a xb1000 - pro900 comparison and seeing this:

 

" I say the XB1000 is like standing in the middle of the dance floor of a professionally tuned night club.  It's loud, but you like it.  Soundstage is wide and spacious.  If you like rap/hip-hop and you like brilliant highs and bass like subwoofers in a car trunk, the Pro 900 is your man. "

 

I decided to go with the xb1000 over pro900, as bass is my #1 concern.  I went to a Skrillex show the other night, and i'm just dying to recreate that bass.  The only thing that turns me off with the DT770 is the must have amp...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTKZ View Post

Do not pay that much for the XB1000.

 

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=sony+xb+1000&cid=17099021000220810181&os=sellers

 

They've actually just been released in North America so there's no real need to import them. Prices will probably drop to at least half the official MSRP eventually if the pricing on these follows normal trends. Also, don't bother getting them if you're not planning to use an amp.

 

All the ~$200 sites are backordered and after talking to them and reading around it seems like it'll be a month before they arrive.  Accessory jack is the one with it in stock and 3-5 shipping for $290.

 

Didn't realize this decision would be so difficult.  I just want a pair that will keep my very very basshungry self satisfied for a while until I have $1000 laying around to spend on a high end upgrade.

 

*EDIT*  Ok, pretty much narrowed it down to only two options:

A)  XB700 and Portable Under $100 Amp (prolly E11 FiiO)

B)  XB1000 and NO amp for now

 

Ordering tomorrow afternoon, will check this thread one last time before pulling the trigger to see if I get more A's or B's.

 

Thanks to all who have helped though, amazing forums here.


Edited by wohast - 10/4/11 at 3:29am
post #7825 of 29490

Hi guys

 

This would be my first virgin audiophile purchase, so i'm really looking forward to it, especially after saving up to buy these stuff

 

I was thinking of purchasing a Sennheiser HD 650 (I managed to get a deal for a first hand one at 358USD, which to me is a really good price) and amping it with a FiiO E7 + E9 combo. 

 

I'll use them mainly for gaming and listening to orchestral, quartet, opera, pop and rock pieces.

 

Do you think the set up is ok? (ie would it do justice to the 650's?) Also, i was worried about the sound leakage of the HD650 since they are such open headsets. I live in a city, next to a train and bus interchange, so i'm worried that they won't be able to keep all those noise out without me cranking up the volume. Should i go for a Shure SRH840 instead? Or save for both? Because i really like how the HD650 might sound....  Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated, though the guy i'm buying from only has discounts for Sennheiser, Shure and Monster headphones.

 

Thanks a lot!


Edited by kalkain - 10/4/11 at 7:44am
post #7826 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by possante87 View Post

 

Vsonic GR07 uncomfortable? man that is just crazy, maybe you just only have try the stock tips. vsonic gr07 + real sony hybrid is perfect in terms of confort. 



It's an ear size thing.  My outer ears are really small, so the housing pushes against parts of them no matter how I orient the nozzle.  They're getting better though; the first time I wore them, I could only keep them in for about 30 mins, but I'm up to a couple hours now.

post #7827 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeANite View Post

Recently got some VSonic GR07 IEMs and they've ruined my ears - I can't listen to my old cheapo headphones anymore.  The VSonics aren't really comfortable enough for prolonged at-home listening though, so I'm looking for a decent set of full-size cans.  I prefer circumaural - supra-aurals have never been comfortable for me.  They'll be driven out of my laptop's headphone jack (I know, I know...) with the Realtek HD codec and THX TruStudio drivers. 

 

I plan on using these for music, gaming, and movies.  My music preferences are pretty varied, ranging from pop to rock to vocal to metal with some electronic thrown in for good measure.  The only major genres that I don't have significant quantities of are rap and country.  As such, I don't need massive quantities of bass, but I do like it to be there when needed.  So far, the GR07s have done a pretty good job of this, so something with a similar sound signature would be ideal I think.  Budget is ~$100.

 

So far, I'm looking at:

 

Samson SR850/Superlux 668b (look like pretty good deals)

Fischer Audio FA-011 (really like the look of these, though some reviews suggest they may have too much bass for my taste and they're a tad over budget)

ATH AD700 (too weak in the bass perhaps?)


I thought the AD700 bass was fine. It might be a little lacking on electronica with those artificial 40Hz tones, but for everything else I had no issues. Great for positional audio in gaming as well.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Tablo View Post

I nearly sold my SRH750DJs, and getting a different pair because they're too uncomfortable. I'm deciding between M50, SRH840, and maybe HD25 if they're on sale at Future Shop soon. What should I get? I listen to electronica, hiphop, maybe pop.

 

If you felt the 750 was uncomfortable, the 840 would probably be worse as it's heavier and a little flatter on the top.

 

While I've never ordered from them, Vistek.ca has the HD25-1-ii for $180 which is the cheapest I've seen in Canada.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by M1A2 View Post

 

Currently looking for a new pair of headphones, which I will be using mainly for gaming(FPS) and music(rock, pop, and " epic " soundtracks from games and movies).

 

Rather than wanting to hear every footstep and such, I want to be immersed in the action, almost like you can feel every bullet you fire, explosions etc.

 

Also, I want them to be fun, and be able to keep up with songs that can go into overdrive sometimes. Yeah, I like bass aswell. 

 

Owned a pair of DT770 80ohm before, though they didn't really felt good on my head(their sound was great though!). 

 

These are the ones I've been reading about

 

Sennheiser HD598 (Will borrow these for testing)

Fischer Audio FA-011 (Could be annoying to test these, since I can only order them from Russia) 

Ultrasone HFI-780 / Pro 900

Audio Technica ATH-AD700 (Will borrow these for testing, though these will probably go back since they seem to be missing that oomph, at least that's the impression I get)

 

 

Will be using a simple Asus Xonar DX at the moment, not having any plans of getting an amp just yet. 

 

So to put it simple: Great for gaming(FPS), nice and deep(but tight) bass, play rock, pop and such with ease.

Budget around 100-250 USD. 


The 598 is probably your best bet for gaming and immersiveness

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wohast View Post

http://youtu.be/2cXDgFwE13g

On this song above, what range is the bass mostly?


The more impactful parts feel like they're around 80-100Hz, and the dirty growl parts are probably around 40-50Hz.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by kalkain View Post

Hi guys

 

This would be my first virgin audiophile purchase, so i'm really looking forward to it, especially after saving up to buy these stuff

 

I was thinking of purchasing a Sennheiser HD 650 (I managed to get a deal for a first hand one at 358USD, which to me is a really good price) and amping it with a FiiO E7 + E9 combo. 

 

I'll use them mainly for gaming and listening to orchestral, quartet, opera, pop and rock pieces.

 

Do you think the set up is ok? (ie would it do justice to the 650's?) Also, i was worried about the sound leakage of the HD650 since they are such open headsets. I live in a city, next to a train and bus interchange, so i'm worried that they won't be able to keep all those noise out without me cranking up the volume. Should i go for a Shure SRH840 instead? Or save for both? Because i really like how the HD650 might sound....  Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated, though the guy i'm buying from only has discounts for Sennheiser, Shure and Monster headphones.

 

Thanks a lot!


That's about the going rate on Amazon. Good price, though nothing fantastic.

 

If you're near a train and bus interchange, I'm afraid the 650 most likely isn't going to work for you. Sticking with Sennheiser, perhaps consider the HD380. Vaguely similar Senn sound, with excellent isolation (one of the best I've heard in circumaural cans).

 

I was also a fan of the Shure 840 when I had it, and reportedly the 940 is even better at isolation and has less bass but better everything else.

 

post #7828 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalkain View Post

I live in a city, next to a train and bus interchange, so i'm worried that they won't be able to keep all those noise out without me cranking up the volume. Should i go for a Shure SRH840 instead?

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

I was also a fan of the Shure 840 when I had it, and reportedly the 940 is even better at isolation and has less bass but better everything else.

 


I haven't listened to the 840's in detail, but if you're considering the 940's, I find that they do isolate pretty well. However, on a noisy commute (via on the bus), due to the nature of the headphone itself, the bass is almost non-existent unless you turn up your volume at medium levels. I'm not sure if you get THAT much ambient noise where you are, but I thought I would mention that. I personally don't mind the lack of bass since my on-the-go music doesn't place an emphasis on the bass, but more on the mids and highs. Also, because the 940's place an emphasis on the mids and highs, they can be fatiguing to some.

 

For a review of them, the link is in my signature.

 

I think for a noisy environment, the cheaper 840's will probably be a better choice since they do have a mid-bass bump, meaning you would probably be able to hear some bass much better than the 940's. For quiet, at-home listening, I would recommend the 940's if you want a detailed headphone.


Edited by miceblue - 10/4/11 at 10:06am
post #7829 of 29490

Need some help deciding between Ultrasone 780's and 580's. They're almost the same price and I'm getting a Fiio E5 amp too. I listen to alot of hip hop, classic rock, and some trance. Based on what I found searching the site, I couldn't figure out which one would suit me better.

 

Thanks

Bob

post #7830 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by wohast View Post

 

*EDIT*  Ok, pretty much narrowed it down to only two options:

A)  XB700 and Portable Under $100 Amp (prolly E11 FiiO)

B)  XB1000 and NO amp for now

 

Ordering tomorrow afternoon, will check this thread one last time before pulling the trigger to see if I get more A's or B's.

 

Thanks to all who have helped though, amazing forums here.



any suggestions?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum