or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 521  

post #7801 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibbie View Post

The Dt-770 pro 80ohm has great bass, but I agree that it sounds much better with an amplifier.  Without one, it can be pretty un-dynamic/boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post


Personally, I would take the Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro over the Sony's,
Do not like the sound from Sony XBs
But Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro series are really at their best with a headphone amplifier.


So you are saying ,DT-770 + FiiO E5 or Digizoid ZO, will just completely destroy an amped XB1000 or the Beats by Dre?

I do love the look of the DT-770, but being forced to keep amp with me is a pain.

post #7802 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by wohast View Post

About to purchase headphones tonight and have it narrowed down to 3:

 

Sony MDR-XB1000

Sony MDR-XB700

Beyerdynamic DT770

This is the type of music I will be listening to the most:  http://youtu.be/ho3eWfpjaaM

Will be using majority of time with iPhone/iPod/iPad.

 

1.  I am leaning towards the XB1000, but have read several times that the XB700 sound the same if not better for bass...I like the 1000 look better but not sure if its worth double the price.

 

2.  In my last post someone recomended the DT770 over the Sony's...any additional thoughts on this?

 

3.  Based on the youtube video, which pair would you recommend?

 

4.  Do the XB1000's dominate the Beats by Dre Studio/Pro?

 

5.  Have also read that XB1000 don't do too well on iPhone etc, and need an amp...any comments on this?

 

6.  I have the Z550 Logitech System connected to my comp and they bump pretty hard...anyone compare Z550 type sound to the XB1000?

 

 


1: The XB1000 is much more detailed and balanced than the XB700. There is less 'attack' from the 1000, but overall it is a better headphone. Most people I've heard from say the upgrade is justified if you want a little less bass heavy but still awesome 'subwoofer' sound.

 

2: IMO without a proper amp the DT770 is a bad idea. Personally I like the XB series a lot. They get a bad wrap for being 'EXTRA BASS', but they're just so fun sounding. 

 

3: XB series hands down. XB1000 for things like Skrillex and the like. The XB700 sounds a bit better for rap and what not from what I've read...and the XB1000 fairs better with EDM (ie. Skrillex).

 

4: They smash them to bits. They go deeper and rock harder than Beats. 

 

5: The XB1000 will sound better than the DT770 would unamped. Every headphone will benefit at least a little from an amp, but they'd do fine without one. 

 

6: Can't comment on this last one. No experience with the Z550.

 

Overall I think the XB700 would be the best for the money, and the XB1000 would be the best overall. The DT770 is a fine headphone, don't get me wrong...but for music like Skrillex (as you said 'the most') the XB series is the way to go, hands down. They're just ridiculously fun to listen to.

 

 

post #7803 of 29490

I'm just trying to find something that will suck the life out of a bad recording with which I can listen very technically with. Budget be damned.

 

Sure I might get something cheaper before I get the true king of critical listening, but I want to know what my absolute best option is for it. The 880 is at the top of my list for 'near future' right now (with the HE6 being the end all be all of detail). 

 

Anyone have other suggestions or comments on that? DT 880 - Budget critical listening, HE 6 - King of critical listening (budget be damned)?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345142 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens View Post

Bwa ha ha ha ha!!! What a piece of crap.


Damn, Tyll, talk about leaving a strong impression...biggrin.gif
What do you recommend, though? I'm curious.

@MorbidToaster: The K702s are definitely detailed, but if you're lowering your budget I would go for the DT880 (600 ohm, naturally) since it 'pushes' the detail out more.


 

 

 

post #7804 of 29490

Looking for a pair of headphones. 

 

Budget : under $100

Genre: Mostly Kpop/Pop music

Closed/Open: Preferably open, closed alternative is fine as long as it is a good quality headphone.

 

Currently looking at...

Sennheiser HD555

Grado sr60i (maybe Grado sr80i)

Sennheiser HD 448

post #7805 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

There's also the DT48...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens View Post

Bwa ha ha ha ha!!! What a piece of crap.


I used to own a pair, and while I thought they were a fascinating headphone to listen to, it wasn't something I could enjoy. No bass, almost metallic midrange, but I did find it quite detailed in the upper ranges. Not something I would ever pay retail price for, but at used prices I think they're something I wouldn't mind adding to the collection if I had more disposable funds. 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by wohast View Post

About to purchase headphones tonight and have it narrowed down to 3:

 

Sony MDR-XB1000

Sony MDR-XB700

Beyerdynamic DT770

This is the type of music I will be listening to the most:  http://youtu.be/ho3eWfpjaaM

Will be using majority of time with iPhone/iPod/iPad.

 

1.  I am leaning towards the XB1000, but have read several times that the XB700 sound the same if not better for bass...I like the 1000 look better but not sure if its worth double the price.

 

2.  In my last post someone recomended the DT770 over the Sony's...any additional thoughts on this?

 

3.  Based on the youtube video, which pair would you recommend?

 

4.  Do the XB1000's dominate the Beats by Dre Studio/Pro?

 

5.  Have also read that XB1000 don't do too well on iPhone etc, and need an amp...any comments on this?

 

6.  I have the Z550 Logitech System connected to my comp and they bump pretty hard...anyone compare Z550 type sound to the XB1000?

 

 


In my experience, most $100 headphones are better than the Beats Studios. 

 

Do you need closed? I think the DT990 would play with Skrillex better.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

I'm just trying to find something that will suck the life out of a bad recording with which I can listen very technically with. Budget be damned.

 

Sure I might get something cheaper before I get the true king of critical listening, but I want to know what my absolute best option is for it. The 880 is at the top of my list for 'near future' right now (with the HE6 being the end all be all of detail). 

 

Anyone have other suggestions or comments on that? DT 880 - Budget critical listening, HE 6 - King of critical listening (budget be damned)? 

 

 

 


I would pick the K701 over the DT880 for budget critical listening. 

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKayy View Post

Looking for a pair of headphones. 

 

Budget : under $100

Genre: Mostly Kpop/Pop music

Closed/Open: Preferably open, closed alternative is fine as long as it is a good quality headphone.

 

Currently looking at...

Sennheiser HD555

Grado sr60i (maybe Grado sr80i)

Sennheiser HD 448


I did not like the 448, but the Senn and Grado choices are good. The 555 is probably a safer bet. 

 

post #7806 of 29490
Hey i broke my recent skullcandys and need a new pair of headphones thats budget friendly maybe around 130 or less any suggestions?
post #7807 of 29490

Sony XB700

Pioneer HDJ-500

AKG K181

post #7808 of 29490

Creative Aurvana Live!

Sony MDR-ZX700

 

 

Sorry, I was being a buthead with the DT48 crack.  My bad. (I can't stand the sound, but I actually love the design.)


Edited by Tyll Hertsens - 10/3/11 at 6:58pm
post #7809 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens View Post

Creative Aurvana Live!

Sony MDR-ZX700

 

 

Sorry, I was being a buthead with the DT48 crack.  My bad. (I can't stand the sound, but I actually love the design.)


Fix it by giving me your favorite super critical headphone. biggrin.gif

Either way I love the design as well. The DT48 has always caught my eye as far as build goes. Disappointed that it sounds like garbage.
Edited by MorbidToaster - 10/3/11 at 7:02pm
post #7810 of 29490
I'm looking at getting the ultrasone hfi-580's for bass, now how much would the bass benefit from an amp? My source is an iPad/ ipod touch, if it would benefit the bass from an amp which amp would it be it has to be portable amp too my budget is probably 50-75$. Thanks!
post #7811 of 29490

Wait until you get the headphones first and enjoy them for a while. Once you get to know their sound signature well, try plugging them into a receiver and see if you hear a difference. Only consider buying an amp after that. 

post #7812 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

Wait until you get the headphones first and enjoy them for a while. Once you get to know their sound signature well, try plugging them into a receiver and see if you hear a difference. Only consider buying an amp after that. 

ok I will do that thank you for the advice!!
post #7813 of 29490

So I went to the store and tried out some shure's and I liked the sound of the SRH840 compared to the 940. So I went with those to be my complement to my 598s outside. I brought my dad along and he loved the idea of home listening and was trying out headphones and the like so I told him I'd come here and ask what the best headphone for his tastes would be. He has a huge CD collection, mostly classic rock and spanish rock/balads type music.

 

So he's wiling to spend about $500-600 on a pair of good cans that will last him while so he can listen to these genres, thanks a bunch!

 

post #7814 of 29490

Has he tried/does he like your 598? 

 

Also, Grados...Maybe an HF2.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguatemalian View Post

So I went to the store and tried out some shure's and I liked the sound of the SRH840 compared to the 940. So I went with those to be my complement to my 598s outside. I brought my dad along and he loved the idea of home listening and was trying out headphones and the like so I told him I'd come here and ask what the best headphone for his tastes would be. He has a huge CD collection, mostly classic rock and spanish rock/balads type music.

 

So he's wiling to spend about $500-600 on a pair of good cans that will last him while so he can listen to these genres, thanks a bunch!

 



 

 

post #7815 of 29490

Or maybe the newfangled PS500, or maybe a 325 with potential for Magnum upgrade down the line (or straight away if you can get a used 325/MS2).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum