or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 517  

post #7741 of 29490

DO NOT get the black gels. 

 

If you want absolute isolation go with clear gels. They do get hot though...hotter than leather even. It's pretty brutal for some people. 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phero View Post

I'm looking to buy custom MMX300's while BD has their 15% deal.

From my understanding they're DT770s with a mic but what I want to know is the different between the ear cup materials. I don't think I want velour because I want isolation but I'm not sure whether to get leather or gel pads. I've also heard that there's a different between the transparent gel and the black gel cup. Any insight on this?


 

 

post #7742 of 29490

Looking for a recommendation on a pair of closed headphones. I had the AKG k702, but returned them because the sound leakage was bothering the rest of my household when I had it up too loud. :(. I'm looking for a closed pair, or a noise cancelling pair.And good recommendations? My price range is 300-500.


Edited by Brad1011 - 10/1/11 at 8:31pm
post #7743 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1011 View Post

Looking for a recommendation on a pair of closed headphones. I had the AKG k702, but returned them because the sound leakage was bothering the rest of my household when I had it up too loud. :(. I'm looking for a closed pair, or a noise cancelling pair.And good recommendations? My price range is 300-500.


For a similar sound signature to the 702's, so I've read, the Shure SRH940's are an alternative. They are closed, somewhat portable, and can be found at around $275 USD.

My review for them is in my signature.


Edited by miceblue - 10/1/11 at 8:40pm
post #7744 of 29490
Fischer FA-002w and Sennheiser HD380 are also nice headphones. I haven't heard the FA-002w myself, but they've gotten some glowing reviews.
post #7745 of 29490

An update on my friend's headphone request:

 

Yes she is still interested in only Active-Noise-Canceling headphones, and she is only willing to buy from Audio-Technica since she trusts the brand.

 

She is trying to decide between the ATH-ANC25 and ATH-ANC27.

 

Does anyone have any experience with these headphones? If so, which one would you recommend and why?

post #7746 of 29490
I would get the ANC27s because they are circumaural, as opposed to the ANC25s, which just sit on your ears. The noise cancellation is probably better on the ANC27s since they envelope your whole ear. Circumaural headphones will give you a better seal than supra-aural headphones, and thus, better noise canceling. In short, get the ANC27s.
post #7747 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomppa View Post

Looking for upgrade on PortaPros with a ~100€ budget. MS-1i seems good, what else should I be looking at? I'd like to have at least the same bass as the Portapros have, but maybe less midbass and better extension. 

I listen to pretty much everything from drum'n'bass and dubstep to heavy metal.


The Koss has more bass than the MS1 from my recollection. Are you looking at open headphones only?

 

I think the Senn PX100-ii actually fits quite well with your description. Bass extends lower but not as humped as the Porta Pro.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch King View Post

I finally took the plunge and ordered a pair of DT 990-600s. So far, they sound really good to me. However, I'm concerned about the fit.
The left side cannot seem to stay 'locked' on one of the dots denoting length. If I wiggle the left earpiece, it falls, losing the length adjusted for my head. With the DT 990s, if I tap the left earpiece wit my finger, it 'falls' down until it's 5 dots in length. My M50s in contrast don't move up and down as easily.
Is this something I can fix or should I exchange them for another pair? I bought them from Amazon btw.


Sounds like the clasp is faulty on one side. I would just exchange them.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Phero View Post

I'm looking to buy custom MMX300's while BD has their 15% deal.
From my understanding they're DT770s with a mic but what I want to know is the different between the ear cup materials. I don't think I want velour because I want isolation but I'm not sure whether to get leather or gel pads. I've also heard that there's a different between the transparent gel and the black gel cup. Any insight on this?


I find leather the best in general for comfort, durablity and ease of cleaning.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

DO NOT get the black gels. 

 

If you want absolute isolation go with clear gels. They do get hot though...hotter than leather even. It's pretty brutal for some people.  

 

 


Does the black gel leave residue on your face or something? Just curious.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1011 View Post

Looking for a recommendation on a pair of closed headphones. I had the AKG k702, but returned them because the sound leakage was bothering the rest of my household when I had it up too loud. :(. I'm looking for a closed pair, or a noise cancelling pair.And good recommendations? My price range is 300-500.


Did you like the sound of the K701? Just some random suggestions...

 

Beyer DT770 - bassy, excellent isolation

Pioneer HDJ-2000 - mild V shape

Senn HD380 - upgraded version of the HD280

Thunderpants (used) - hah, good luck finding one

Audio Technica W1000x- mid focused

Denon D2000 - smooth neutral

 

post #7748 of 29490
I plan on checking out the various links posted in the OP, but I thought I would pose some questions to get some answers which will hopefully allow me to read said material as well as other material and get more out of the research. I am new to head-fi, I have a buddy who is a part of this website and considering I have recently gotten more interested in sound quality I figured I would give it a shot as well. To answer some of the questions proposed in the OP, I listen to a lot of ambient, psychedelic, electronic, chillwave and dubstep as well as jazz, prog rock and blues rock. Those are just some parameters, one thing that can be taken out of them is that most of the music I tend to listen to is easygoing and slow. The only preference i know in regards to headphones is I much prefer over-ear, although I'm not quite sure if I would like open or closed backs based on what I know about them. My budget is probably 3-350, although cheap is good and I don't want to spend more if I don't have to, this will be my first pair.

Thanks,
Joqur
post #7749 of 29490
anybody in here know anything about the ultrasone pro 650s?

hows the overall sound quality?

detail and good clarity?
post #7750 of 29490
i have ad700 and found it's lack of bass, now i'm going to buy an amp or usb soundcard to boost the bass. is it harmful to the headphone ? . thanks
post #7751 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by anhtu1990 View Post

i have ad700 and found it's lack of bass, now i'm going to buy an amp or usb soundcard to boost the bass. is it harmful to the headphone ? . thanks


 

Changing the sound of a headphone into something it is not can have downsides to it, such as distortion, that is not normally recommended. I'm not an engineer or anything but I'm guessing a bass boost should only boost the volume in the lower frequencies. If it is simply boosting the volume, then the headphones should be fine. 

post #7752 of 29490
I'm liking the thought of the Ultrasone PRO 750s, but I have to ask if it makes sense to use them on the go. I'm mainly looking for something to use with my Cowon J3 so I'd prefer something that doesn't need a good amp, though I guess having one might be good anyway.
post #7753 of 29490
Over the past couple of days in my free time I'm been seriously comparing and evaluating different headphones to see which is the best one I can get in my price range.

I started out with 33, having narrowed it down from the 93 in that portable headphone shootout thread, and made a table in MS Word, which eventually grew out of control and spanned 4 documents but I managed to wrangle it back down to one document and 7 headphones.

The document is here, and I'm looking to go with the Audio-Technica ATH-M30 as I want to keep costs down, I realized if I evaluated headphones purely by sound quality I would begin chasing a dragon I could never catch so I decided to evaluate them based on build quality and value.

For a little more I could get the Beyerdynamic DT235 which should sound better but the ATH-M30 seems sturdier.

The JVC HA-S150 “Flats” were my last pair of headphones, in a long line of cheap headphones that have broken on me so I use it as the reference of at least how good my new pair has to be. Thinking about build quality I'm thinking of getting the Sony MDR-V6 as it's the sturdiest option for the least amount of money, but I'd like to know if it's really so much sturdier.

I don't want to get the ATH-M30 and then have them break and regret not getting the MDR-V6. I'm not going to be driving over my headphones with my car but I'd like them to last long and it would be nice if they could withstand being thrown in my bookbag.

I could also get the JVC HARX700 but I don't know how they stand up to the other headphones I've talked about. I've asked the thread starter of the headphone shootout thread to give me a quick and dirty rating of it if he's tried it so he might be able to shed some light on that for me.
Edited by VChip - 10/2/11 at 1:04am
post #7754 of 29490


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joqur View Post

I plan on checking out the various links posted in the OP, but I thought I would pose some questions to get some answers which will hopefully allow me to read said material as well as other material and get more out of the research. I am new to head-fi, I have a buddy who is a part of this website and considering I have recently gotten more interested in sound quality I figured I would give it a shot as well. To answer some of the questions proposed in the OP, I listen to a lot of ambient, psychedelic, electronic, chillwave and dubstep as well as jazz, prog rock and blues rock. Those are just some parameters, one thing that can be taken out of them is that most of the music I tend to listen to is easygoing and slow. The only preference i know in regards to headphones is I much prefer over-ear, although I'm not quite sure if I would like open or closed backs based on what I know about them. My budget is probably 3-350, although cheap is good and I don't want to spend more if I don't have to, this will be my first pair.
Thanks,
Joqur

 

Your music tastes are somewhat similar to mine. I listen to a lot of jazzy big band stuff, but also a bunch of chillout electronica. My favourite headphones are:

Pioneer HDJ-2000 (which I also modded), no amp needed

AKG K240 Sextett from a Bottlehead Crack amp
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawrbington View Post

anybody in here know anything about the ultrasone pro 650s?
hows the overall sound quality?
detail and good clarity?


Good headphone, typical Ultrasone sound though not as bassy as the more well known HFi580/Pro750/Pro900. The bass still has a good thump, but overall isn't that boosted compared to the rest of the spectrum. They have those kinda-airy highs which give nice shimmer though probably aren't the last word in clarity. S-Logic is different for everybody though.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by anhtu1990 View Post

i have ad700 and found it's lack of bass, now i'm going to buy an amp or usb soundcard to boost the bass. is it harmful to the headphone ? . thanks


Bass boost by itself should not be harmful to a headphone. The only possible exception here is if you crank music at ridiculously loud levels.

 

Before spending money on an amp though, would you be satisfied with simply using EQ?

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by geoxile View Post

I'm liking the thought of the Ultrasone PRO 750s, but I have to ask if it makes sense to use them on the go. I'm mainly looking for something to use with my Cowon J3 so I'd prefer something that doesn't need a good amp, though I guess having one might be good anyway.


The Pro750 doesn't need an amp. It does better with one, but it isn't necessary. Ultrasones in generally are fairly easy to drive.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by VChip View Post

Over the past couple of days in my free time I'm been seriously comparing and evaluating different headphones to see which is the best one I can get in my price range.
I started out with 33, having narrowed it down from the 93 in that portable headphone shootout thread, and made a table in MS Word, which eventually grew out of control and spanned 4 documents but I managed to wrangle it back down to one document and 7 headphones.
The document is here, and I'm looking to go with the Audio-Technica ATH-M30 as I want to keep costs down, I realized if I evaluated headphones purely by sound quality I would begin chasing a dragon I could never catch so I decided to evaluate them based on build quality and value.
For a little more I could get the Beyerdynamic DT235 which should sound better but the ATH-M30 seems sturdier.
The JVC HA-S150 “Flats” were my last pair of headphones, in a long line of cheap headphones that have broken on me so I use it as the reference of at least how good my new pair has to be. Thinking about build quality I'm thinking of getting the Sony MDR-V6 as it's the sturdiest option for the least amount of money, but I'd like to know if it's really so much sturdier.
I don't want to get the ATH-M30 and then have them break and regret not getting the MDR-V6. I'm not going to be driving over my headphones with my car but I'd like them to last long and it would be nice if they could withstand being thrown in my bookbag.
I could also get the JVC HARX700 but I don't know how they stand up to the other headphones I've talked about. I've asked the thread starter of the headphone shootout thread to give me a quick and dirty rating of it if he's tried it so he might be able to shed some light on that for me.


Seriously just go with the Sony V6. Good sound and durability for a good price. I think I even saw one on the sale forums not too long ago for even cheaper.

 

post #7755 of 29490
Armaegis, for what specific reasons would you recommend the MDR-V6 over the DT235, ATH-M30, and JVC HARX700? In your experience, have the latter broken down where the former persevered? Was it an issue of preference for a certain sound quality? From looking at the data I know it's worth the money but I still have to justify to myself why I would spend three times the amount of money I used spend on headphones on a new pair.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum