or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 511  

post #7651 of 29490

Tsk tsk - you need to think bigger. We're talking $550 here! wink.gif
 

It sounds like the Sony Z1000 would be a good fit for you. I tried them out in Taipei and they have quite a bit of bass. Isolation is also good, and although they're on the small side, they are most definitely circumaural headphones.

 

You can also consider the Sony XB1000s and the audio-technica ES10s, although the ES10s are supraaural headphones and I haven't heard the XB1000s.

post #7652 of 29490


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

@ Xcellent
Senn. HD 25-1 II, DT 1350, Phiaton MS 400, B&W P5. Those are all on ear but all have excellent isolation.
I love my Pro 750 for a portable, but you mentioned Ultrasones not being your thing. Probably the S Logic. How about the Shure 940. Depending on how you like your bass (deep not necessarily overpowering) they may be the way to go for a full portable.


Thank you, I will look into the Shure 940. I heard alot of good things about them, but never really did any research for it. And about the on-ear, I already had the Senn HD25-1 II and I really liked them, but its one of those times where you just want something different biggrin.gif Thanks for recommendations.

post #7653 of 29490

There's just not a lot of options in that higher price range. ES10s are a good idea, but they're on ear...The XB1000s are pretty much a non-option as they're massive and he wants decent isolation. Not practical for a portable, and not the best isolation (from experience with the rest of the series, and from people's impressions about the 1000).

 

Tough to recommend something in the upper end of that bracket.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345142 View Post

Tsk tsk - you need to think bigger. We're talking $550 here! wink.gif
 

It sounds like the Sony Z1000 would be a good fit for you. I tried them out in Taipei and they have quite a bit of bass. Isolation is also good, and although they're on the small side, they are most definitely circumaural headphones.

 

You can also consider the Sony XB1000s and the audio-technica ES10s, although the ES10s are supraaural headphones and I haven't heard the XB1000s.



 

 

post #7654 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by kappa2583 View Post

Hi all,

 

I've been looking for headphones for quite some time and I've never been able to narrow my selection down, this perhaps a product of my everchanging list.

 

I primarily listen to rock (classic and current) and downbeat/ambient electronica. 

 

I would like closed headphones or IEMs since I'll be using them for travel.  I would prefer headphones over IEMs, although I'm not adverse to IEMs.

 

I will be doing most of my listening through a Sansa Clip + and would like to get a set of headphones that would not require an amp.

 

Finally, I would like to keep this investment under $100. 

 

Thanks for your input!

 

-Joe

 

Sony V6/7506 springs to mind. Good isolation, and strong top end for rock.
 

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero45 View Post

Would the Audio Technica ESW9a be better in sound quality verse the AT AD700 or Sennheiser HD 598? I don't need them for walking around just really office and home use for gaming and music.


I would say ESW9a > AD700 in terms of general sound quality. Between the ESW9a and HD598 is a bit more of a tossup. The ESW9a is also a small closed portable, whereas the other two are full sized open headphones, so you have to keep that in mind.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero45 View Post

I mean the Audio Technica ATH-A700 lol or Beyerdynamics 770?


A700: weak isolation, strong midrange

DT770: very strong isolation, heavy bass

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcellent View Post

Hello everyone,

 

I am searching for a portable full-size, closed back, headphone for around €450,-  /  $550,-

I listen to Electro, DnB, Classical and Rock mostly. Also it needs to seal very well, since I'm going to use it in noisy environments like subways (not the restaurants lol), downtown and so on.

 

Already looked into the Beyerdynamic T70P, it seemed perfect for me, except that it lacks a bit on the bass and is described to others as ''unacceptably bright', I don't see anywhere in my area where I can try them out. I also did research on some of the Ultrasone's models and got to try out different models, but I did not really like them that much. So I am kind of looking for other suggestions in the Full-Size portable category.

 

Thank you


Beyer DT770 is very good at isolation and has plenty of bass. Shure 840/940 are up there for isolation as well, along with the Senn HD280/380. The only other thing I can think of in the price range is a used Thunderpants.

 

post #7655 of 29490

<p>Ok thanks armaegis I'll definitely check that out. Do you have any suggestions about the AD700 vs. other headphones I should look into?

post #7656 of 29490
Hello all.

Long time lurker that cant recall his old username =-O


Hoping for some comparative advice. I was going to post this in the gaming thread but theyre preferences dont match mine seemingly.

What I desire.

Closed headphones. ((isolation is a big deal as even partial open I end up hearing too much outside noise))
Good for Dolby Headphone usage. ((I know theres soundstage compromise with closed cans but isolation is simply priority 1))
$150 price tag or so ((only higher if theres significant pluses))

My "actual" price range is 300$ but Im allotting 160$ to Astro mixamp for wireless usage. Unless theres wireless cans with HQ but RS170s didnt seem up to par. Portability not important but could be a bonus.

These seem to come up and seem to be closed while still offering a good soundstage.

Audio Technica M50
AKG K271 MKII
Beyer Dynamic 770 32ohm


I am however curious about
SUPERLUX as they seem to be great for the price but the 669 were the only closed ones and I only saw them on ebay.


What theyll be used for in terms of time allotment.
60% Gaming ((most of that is gears of war))
30% movies
10% Music
I prefer Bass heavy but Im assuming EQ can fix shortcomings no ?


Any thoughts on the above or any recommendations in my price range/needs would be greatly appreciated.
Last visit years ago I walked in with 14$ Koss and walked out with a great pair of Shure canal phones so hopefully I get similar great recommendations wink.gif
post #7657 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMythLegend View Post

Hello all.

Long time lurker that cant recall his old username =-O


Hoping for some comparative advice. I was going to post this in the gaming thread but theyre preferences dont match mine seemingly.

What I desire.

Closed headphones. ((isolation is a big deal as even partial open I end up hearing too much outside noise))
Good for Dolby Headphone usage. ((I know theres soundstage compromise with closed cans but isolation is simply priority 1))
$150 price tag or so ((only higher if theres significant pluses))

My "actual" price range is 300$ but Im allotting 160$ to Astro mixamp for wireless usage. Unless theres wireless cans with HQ but RS170s didnt seem up to par. Portability not important but could be a bonus.

These seem to come up and seem to be closed while still offering a good soundstage.

Audio Technica M50
AKG K271 MKII
Beyer Dynamic 770 32ohm


I am however curious about
SUPERLUX as they seem to be great for the price but the 669 were the only closed ones and I only saw them on ebay.


What theyll be used for in terms of time allotment.
60% Gaming ((most of that is gears of war))
30% movies
10% Music
I prefer Bass heavy but Im assuming EQ can fix shortcomings no ?


Any thoughts on the above or any recommendations in my price range/needs would be greatly appreciated.
Last visit years ago I walked in with 14$ Koss and walked out with a great pair of Shure canal phones so hopefully I get similar great recommendations wink.gif



The DT 770 might be the way to go. I'd look into the higher ohm Pro version. You llike bass and they have that (lots of it), and the MixAmp should power the 250 ohm versions.

Pros have slightly better isolation than the consumer, and they're cheaper. Both are super comfy as well. That's my advice. Gaming is rough on closed cans, but there are worse options than the 770.
post #7658 of 29490

Do the Sennheiser 598 or DT 770 require an amp?  I'll be using my cans with my laptop (HP Dv7 with beats audio). Was also looking into some AKG cans but I'm really unsure as to what to get.

post #7659 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMythLegend View Post

Hello all.
Long time lurker that cant recall his old username =-O
Hoping for some comparative advice. I was going to post this in the gaming thread but theyre preferences dont match mine seemingly.
What I desire.
Closed headphones. ((isolation is a big deal as even partial open I end up hearing too much outside noise))
Good for Dolby Headphone usage. ((I know theres soundstage compromise with closed cans but isolation is simply priority 1))
$150 price tag or so ((only higher if theres significant pluses))
My "actual" price range is 300$ but Im allotting 160$ to Astro mixamp for wireless usage. Unless theres wireless cans with HQ but RS170s didnt seem up to par. Portability not important but could be a bonus.
These seem to come up and seem to be closed while still offering a good soundstage.
Audio Technica M50
AKG K271 MKII
Beyer Dynamic 770 32ohm

I am however curious about
SUPERLUX as they seem to be great for the price but the 669 were the only closed ones and I only saw them on ebay.
What theyll be used for in terms of time allotment.
60% Gaming ((most of that is gears of war))
30% movies
10% Music
I prefer Bass heavy but Im assuming EQ can fix shortcomings no ?
Any thoughts on the above or any recommendations in my price range/needs would be greatly appreciated.
Last visit years ago I walked in with 14$ Koss and walked out with a great pair of Shure canal phones so hopefully I get similar great recommendations wink.gif

I've been pushing Superlux for the past few months, but now my Superlux HD-668B have stopped working after less then 2 months use.

I believe Beyerdynamics are really best paired with an headphone amp.
So maybe get the DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm, sometimes there are good prices for the refurbished ones sold by Beyerdynamic U.S.A. on their eBay page "bd-usa".
post #7660 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by nero45 View Post

Do the Sennheiser 598 or DT 770 require an amp?  I'll be using my cans with my laptop (HP Dv7 with beats audio). Was also looking into some AKG cans but I'm really unsure as to what to get.


The 598 IMO doesn't, but I'd recommend one for the DT 770. They get pretty muddy without one.
post #7661 of 29490

After many hours on this forum i'm still not decided and I need some help. I'm looking for headphones. Budget from 50$ to 500$ 

Closed full size ( I have large ears (2,75" to 3" :) ) 

I will use them like 5 hours a day max. 

I will buy a Fiio e10 and plug it to my pc. No need to be portable.

I listen to Rock, Hard Rock, Punk rock, Metal ( some with double bass drum). I will like decent bass quality. 

After some searching I have a list:

 

Brand Model  
Ultrasone PRO900  
Ultrasone HFI780  
Ultrasone PRO750  
Shure SRH940  
Shure SRH750DJ  
Shure SRH550dj  
Shure SRH840  
Beyerdynamic DT-990  
Beyerdynamic DT-880  
Koss PRODJ100  
Audio-Technica ATH-M50s  
Grado SR225i open
Sennheiser HD-25 not full size

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for your help.

 

post #7662 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by HydronQc View Post

After many hours on this forum i'm still not decided and I need some help. I'm looking for headphones. Budget from 50$ to 500$ 

Closed full size ( I have large ears (2,75" to 3" :) ) 

I will use them like 5 hours a day max. 

I will buy a Fiio e10 and plug it to my pc. No need to be portable.

I listen to Rock, Hard Rock, Punk rock, Metal ( some with double bass drum). I will like decent bass quality. 

After some searching I have a list:

 

Brand Model  
Ultrasone PRO900  
Ultrasone HFI780  
Ultrasone PRO750  
Shure SRH940  
Shure SRH750DJ  
Shure SRH550dj  
Shure SRH840  
Beyerdynamic DT-990  
Beyerdynamic DT-880  
Koss PRODJ100  
Audio-Technica ATH-M50s  
Grado SR225i open
Sennheiser HD-25 not full size

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for your help.

 


880 and 990 are open as well, just by the way.

My pics from that for the E10 would be...

DT 990 (250)
Pro 750
Shure 940
HFI 780
ProDJ100

Of course consider the Grado because you listen to rock. Some people swear by them, but if you like bass you may want to look elsewhere.
post #7663 of 29490
I've had the AKG K701s for several years now. I like them a lot. I use them with a y1 and Millett Hybrid Max.

I'm at the point where I'd like to try another high-end headphone. Back when I was somewhat up to date on these matters, the main competitors to the K701 were the Sennheiser HD600 or Beyerdynamic DT990 (and adjacent models). I'm sure things have changed somewhat.

I don't necessarily find the K701s to be 'too clinical' or 'bass-lite' like some people - at the same time, if I get another headphone, I'd like it to be less concerned with being colorless and balanced, and maybe a bit more musical and fun. I listen to a lot of classical music (orchestral and chamber) as well as things like indie rock and jazz. Since I do listen to a lot of classical, I don't want a real slamming bass-monster headphone - I want a different flavor from K701 that is more engaging, sweet, musical and maybe a bit more bass, but still relatively 'accurate,' as is desirable with classical.

Can someone recommend a starting point in approximately the same price range as the K701? (I think I bought mine used for $240 - I'm willing to look at things in that range or SLIGHTLY more.)
Edited by slowpogo - 9/28/11 at 8:28pm
post #7664 of 29490

Hey guys,

 

I just bought a pair of solid in-ear phones (Futuresonic Atrio M5s) and now I've got a craving for some quality full size headphones. I want something that can produce a lot of bass but won't muddy up or veil the mids and highs.

 

I'm torn between the Ultrasone Pro 900s and the Ultrasone HFI-580s. The Pro 900s cost over twice as much but I hear so many great things about them (the HFI-580s get a lot of love, too, which complicates things further). It seems unfair to compare the two since they are in difference price classes but I can't decide if that extra $200 is money well spent.

 

I listen to a lot of different music. Rock and folk/acoustic stuff makes up the bulk of it but I also like to experience the pumping bass of a rap or techno song. People seem to swear by the Pro 900s for dub step but I want a well-rounded headphone. A wide soundstage is a big bonus so that would be something to consider. I love chill out music (Sigur Ros, Mogwai, Pink Floyd, Blonde Redhead, etc) which benefit from deep bass in appropriate doses. It's critical that the highs have some degree of sparkle to keep everything sounding clean.

 

I'm open to other suggestions, those were just the two that I keep coming across when I look for bassy headphones that still seem to provide solid mids and highs.

 

I will be using these mainly through a Zune HD, HP laptop (integrated sound card), and occasionally my desktop with a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 audio card. I also have a Turtle Beach AA Micro sound card that I can use on my laptop, which drives phones much better than my integrated solution. I don't have a dedicated headphone amp as of now but I'll eventually add one to my rig, if necessary.

 

Thanks for your help, guys!


Edited by LarryKingsShoes - 9/28/11 at 8:48pm
post #7665 of 29490

HD 598. Very 'musical' headphone. Huge soundstage, and excellent (but not overbearing) bass. Right around the price range lately, too. Works very well with your genres.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpogo View Post

I've had the AKG K701s for several years now. I like them a lot. I use them with a y1 and Millett Hybrid Max.

I'm at the point where I'd like to try another high-end headphone. Back when I was somewhat up to date on these matters, the main competitors to the K701 were the Sennheiser HD600 or Beyerdynamic DT990 (and adjacent models). I'm sure things have changed somewhat.

I don't necessarily find the K701s to be 'too clinical' or 'bass-lite' like some people - at the same time, if I get another headphone, I'd like it to be less concerned with being colorless and balanced, and maybe a bit more musical and fun. I listen to a lot of classical music (orchestral and chamber) as well as things like indie rock and jazz. Since I do listen to a lot of classical, I don't want a real slamming bass-monster headphone - I want a different flavor from K701 that is more engaging, sweet, musical and maybe a bit more bass, but still relatively 'accurate,' as is desirable with classical.

Can someone recommend a starting point in approximately the same price range as the K701? (I think I bought mine used for $240 - I'm willing to look at things in that range or SLIGHTLY more.)


Ultrasone Pro 750. Fairly balanced but has a lot of attack like the rest of the Ultrasones. I think it will handle some of your non bass heavy stuff better than the Pro 900, and is cheaper. S Logic will make the soundstage seem larger even though they're closed (yay Ultrasone).

 

No need for extra amping (IMO). I use mine (which are for sale to fund LCD 2s [PLUG PLUG PLUG see my sig.]) as a portable because they're easily powered. 

 

I do honestly think that'd be the way to go since you seem to like S Logic, and are questioning the price of the Pro 900. I don't think you will find the Pro 750 lacking at all in bass or attack, and I think it would work better as an all rounder. That was how I felt, anyway.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryKingsShoes View Post

Hey guys,

 

I just bought a pair of solid in-ear phones (Futuresonic Atrio M5s) and now I've got a craving for some quality full size headphones. I want something that can produce a lot of bass but won't muddy up or veil the mids and highs.

 

I'm torn between the Ultrasone Pro 900s and the Ultrasone HFI-580s. The Pro 900s cost over twice as much but I hear so many great things about them (the HFI-580s get a lot of love, too, which complicates things further). It seems unfair to compare the two since they are in difference price classes but I can't decide if that extra $200 is money well spent.

 

I listen to a lot of different music. Rock and folk/acoustic stuff makes up the bulk of it but I also like to experience the pumping bass of a rap or techno song. People seem to swear by the Pro 900s for dub step but I want a well-rounded headphone. A wide soundstage is a big bonus so that would be something to consider. I love chill out music (Sigur Ros, Mogwai, Pink Floyd, Blonde Redhead, etc) which benefit from deep bass in appropriate doses. It's critical that the highs have some degree of sparkle to keep everything sounding clean.

 

I'm open to other suggestions, those were just the two that I keep coming across when I look for bassy headphones that still seem to provide solid mids and highs.

 

I will be using these mainly through a Zune HD, HP laptop (integrated sound card), and occasionally my desktop with a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 audio card. I also have a Turtle Beach AA Micro sound card that I can use on my laptop, which drives phones much better than my integrated solution. I don't have a dedicated headphone amp as of now but I'll eventually add one to my rig, if necessary.

 

Thanks for your help, guys!



 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum