or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 504  

post #7546 of 29490


Oh god that's hilarious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345142 View Post

 

No one talks about Sol Republic because they're co-founded by Kevin Lee, the marketing VP of Monster Cable, who is behind the reviled Beats headphones. Suffice to say, based on Lee's track record, we know what to expect. It's the same reason why no one talks about WesC or UrbanEars on Head-Fi.

 

I myself read a bit about Sol Republic, thought, 'oh, that's interesting,' and went right back to my Ultrasones.

 

And speaking about Monster Cable, Engadget sure tore them a new one a while ago. They're like the Apple Inc. of the audio world.



 

 

post #7547 of 29490

The modular design actually gives me a good idea... Sometime in the future I think I'm going to put some time into designing a custom headband for phones.

post #7548 of 29490

Hi guys I am a new member on this site and its my interest for audio that brought me here.

 

I was wondering if anyone could help me with picking a good set of headphones, I have a budget of $50..I looked at the rating you guys gave the different brands and also went to ebay to check the pricing. So far Sennheiser seems to be on top of the list..next...well thats where you can help me out...

 

cheers.

post #7549 of 29490
I think I want to get the sennheiser 598's, but I'm worried about how tight they fit. I'm a large guy with a large head and I'm worried they'll fit too tightly. anyone with experience with these headphones?
post #7550 of 29490


Superlux HD668B or JVC RX700/900

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachSamurai View Post

Hi guys I am a new member on this site and its my interest for audio that brought me here.

 

I was wondering if anyone could help me with picking a good set of headphones, I have a budget of $50..I looked at the rating you guys gave the different brands and also went to ebay to check the pricing. So far Sennheiser seems to be on top of the list..next...well thats where you can help me out...

 

cheers.



 

post #7551 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post


HD 598 vs the TMA-1?

 

The Senn. is on another level clarity wise. Bass slam...TMA-1. Bass extension...598. 

 

The TMA-1 is the darkest headphone I've ever heard were as the Senn is pretty balanced. They're completely different in almost every way.



 

 

just spent some time searching around on the forums and it seems like these may be the perfect pair for me, going to think it over and possibly order them tomorrow, thanks for the advice!

 

just wondering, are there any in a lower price range you might recommend? maybe 80-130? just want to see if there are any cheaper options that come close before I drop the cash.
 

 

post #7552 of 29490

Alright, any thoughts on the HP541? Or the Monoprice generic counterpart?

post #7553 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBurner View Post

I think I want to get the sennheiser 598's, but I'm worried about how tight they fit. I'm a large guy with a large head and I'm worried they'll fit too tightly. anyone with experience with these headphones?


They're among the most comfortable headphones on the market, so you shouldnt have problems. They're pretty big and headband adjusts so that it can fit very big heads.

post #7554 of 29490

As said. They don't fit that tightly and adjust to be quite large. They're a great all rounder for fit, too. :D
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBurner View Post

I think I want to get the sennheiser 598's, but I'm worried about how tight they fit. I'm a large guy with a large head and I'm worried they'll fit too tightly. anyone with experience with these headphones?


There are not. The HD 598 is a bargain at its current price (~180) and (IMO) the best headphone on the market in their price range (100 - 300).

 

 

You could save $20 and get the 558 and get close, but it's only $20 bucks to the next step up (the 598).
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterj View Post



just spent some time searching around on the forums and it seems like these may be the perfect pair for me, going to think it over and possibly order them tomorrow, thanks for the advice!

 

just wondering, are there any in a lower price range you might recommend? maybe 80-130? just want to see if there are any cheaper options that come close before I drop the cash.
 

 



Agreed.



Quote:
Originally Posted by derbigpr View Post


They're among the most comfortable headphones on the market, so you shouldnt have problems. They're pretty big and headband adjusts so that it can fit very big heads.



 

 

post #7555 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setre View Post

It was the treble.

 

I'll also go ahead and add that I use my AD900s for everything from listening to music, playing video games, to watching random videos. I'd like to do the same with whatever other headphones I buy.


I'm going to sound like MorbidToaster and recommend the Senn HD598. You'll retain most of the soundstage and gain better bass extension.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by abnv View Post

Hey guys, I'm looking for some new headphones for around $100-150. So far I'm looking at the HFI-580 and ATH-M50 but I think I would prefer open headphones (I don't care about noise isolation/leakage). Also, it looks like the cheapest you can get the M50 anymore is $160 which seems a little much. The HD558 look good but the impression I get it is people don't like them too much?

 

Any advice? I listen to mostly hip-hop/electronic music and I'll be using these unamped, at least for a while.


Another vote for something in the Senn HD5xx range. If you can find it, the 555 is cheap and easily modded into the 595. Next up would be the 558. I don't think you'll be able to find the 598 in your budget.

 

Moving down a step, the PX100-ii is a fantastic little portable with surprising bass.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasa View Post

Hi everyone, I'm relatively new to the world of higher-end audio and I've never owned a full-size headphone before so I suppose it can't hurt to ask here for guidance... I've got some rather specific parameters:

 

I listen almost exclusively to (extreme) metal of almost every subgenre (symphonic, doom, death, black), but I enjoy post-rock and jazz too. My budget is $250 max, although I would appreciate not having to spend that much if it's not necessary.

 

I can't speak too much in audiophile terms, but I would say that I prefer a neutral sound signature. For reference, my set of IEMs are Phonak PFEs and I'm quite happy with them.

 

One problem though is that I'm a big black metal fan, and while there is plenty of variation in the genre, some of these recordings are inherently low-fi and nothing can be done about that. It's not a large percentage of my tracks, but I do enjoy them so is it possible that there is something that is able to bring out the details and clarity in well-produced music, yet is somewhat forgiving on the more poorly recorded ones (once again not big on the terms, but I suppose I'm not looking for an analytical sound?)?

 

Finally, my source will be a Cowon X7 and my laptop, for which I'm considering purchasing an amp but as of now I have no preference on whether one is necessary or not and I have no preference to open or closed headphones.

 

Sorry if this is a rather specific request, but I'm still a noob with relatively little experience so I need some guidance smile.gif

 

BTW, I'm currently looking at the Fischer Audio FA-003 as my first choice.


Something different; ever tried a Grado? I think they play fairly well with metal.

 

Other suggestions: Ultrasone Pro550/660/HFI780, AKG K701/2 (wants an amp), Beyer DT990pro


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolcomStone View Post

Hey there guys. I'm considering buying a pair of full-sized headphones for at home, since I've had my Monster Turbine Pro Golds for almost a year now, and the fact that my ears are kinda messed up kinda takes away from them. That being said, I absolutely love their sound, once I get them positioned right in my ears, which usually takes a minute or two.

 

What are some higher-end headphones (not crazy priced, but maybe around $300) that would sound similar to the Pro Golds. In other words, I'd like to have ample bass, nice mids, and decent highs (I can do with slightly rolled-off highs, it hasn't bothered me with the Turbines).

 

Thanks for any help guys. :D


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolcomStone View Post

Oh yeah, I guess that could help. I'm listening to a lot more hip-hop/rap now. I also throw on the occasional metal/rock tune. It's while listening to a rap song that I really appreciate the sub-bass abilities of my Turbines.

 

And I almost forgot, I like a bit of dubstep too. Again, good bass plays a pretty big role.



 


The Sony XB700 is the closest thing I can think of that may match the bass curve of the Turbines.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterj View Post

Hey all I was looking to find some headphones, got a pair of hje900s based off some recommendations here a few months ago and I love them so I figure ill take a step up and try some cans.

 

Now I honestly don't know whether id prefer open or closed really all I care about is sound quality these will only be used in my room really.

 

I listen to a lot of what I consider "production heavy" music basically I love hearing little details in heavily produced songs (mainstream, dance music, etc etc) I also love indie rock and dream pop, lots of hip hop and rap aswell but I don't want that to make you think im looking for bass cans (bass is nice but I don't want it to be overpowering or anything mostly want detail)

 

I was looking to spend max 200$ maybe alittle more if the value is really there, would also prefer something on amazon since I have 100 and something in credit there that would help but don't let that change your recommendation.

 

Thanks for your time.

 

Beyerdynamic DT990pro - plenty of bass and highs to give you solid oomph and detail.
 

 

 

post #7556 of 29490

I'm looking for a portable, closed headphone for everyday use (commuting, work etc). I've listened to my Sennheiser HD 555's at home for years now and have gotten used to their sound signature. In public I've used IEMs (currently SoundMagic PL30) but I'd really like full-size headphones and the 555's are out of question since I don't want to be the noise polluting ******...

 

These are the two candidates I've think would be the most suitable:

AIAIAI TMA-1

Sennheiserd HD 25-1

 

Which one would suit me best? Which one is closer to the 555's sound?

 

Thanks in advance!

 

 

 

post #7557 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post




I'm going to sound like MorbidToaster and recommend the Senn HD598. You'll retain most of the soundstage and gain better bass extension.



Sounds good, thanks for your help!

 

I do have a question about the bass on the HD 598 though. How do they compare to the DT 990? I know they won't be as bass heavy as the 990 but never hurts to ask.

 

EDIT: There seems to be two versions on Amazon. The gold colored one and the black one. I'm assuming the only difference between the two are price and color?


Edited by Setre - 9/26/11 at 10:50am
post #7558 of 29490


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baakru View Post

I'm looking for a portable, closed headphone for everyday use (commuting, work etc). I've listened to my Sennheiser HD 555's at home for years now and have gotten used to their sound signature. In public I've used IEMs (currently SoundMagic PL30) but I'd really like full-size headphones and the 555's are out of question since I don't want to be the noise polluting ******...

 

These are the two candidates I've think would be the most suitable:

AIAIAI TMA-1

Sennheiserd HD 25-1

 

Which one would suit me best? Which one is closer to the 555's sound?

 

Thanks in advance!

 

 

 



I haven't heard the TMA-1, but the HD25-1-ii is very different from the HD555. The TMA is supposed to be a very dark sounding headphone from what I've read.

 

Really, neither will sound particularly close to the HD555. If I had to pick a closed portable that is reminiscent of the HD555... um... maybe the B&W P5 or ESW9a?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Setre View Post

Sounds good, thanks for your help!

 

I do have a question about the bass on the HD 598 though. How do they compare to the DT 990? I know they won't be as bass heavy as the 990 but never hurts to ask.

 

EDIT: There seems to be two versions on Amazon. The gold colored one and the black one. I'm assuming the only difference between the two are price and color?


The 990 easily has more power in the bass, and a noticeably sharper treble as well. The HD598 will feel far more balanced in comparison.

 

I had no idea there were two versions...

 

post #7559 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

The 990 easily has more power in the bass, and a noticeably sharper treble as well. The HD598 will feel far more balanced in comparison.

 

I had no idea there were two versions...

 



 

My bad, the black ones are 595, guess my quick glance made the 5 at the end look like an 8.

 

Again, thanks for your help Armaegis. I’m going to order them within the next hour or so, just a couple more questions if you don’t mind. Do you think a FiiO E5 would benefit the 598 any? I have a MixAMP for my PS3 and a dedicated sound card in my PC, only thing I’m worried about is my PSP/3DS.  

post #7560 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoxile View Post


Superlux HD668B or JVC RX700/900



 



hey thanx mate..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum