or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 503  

post #7531 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnv View Post

Hey guys, I'm looking for some new headphones for around $100-150. So far I'm looking at the HFI-580 and ATH-M50 but I think I would prefer open headphones (I don't care about noise isolation/leakage). Also, it looks like the cheapest you can get the M50 anymore is $160 which seems a little much. The HD558 look good but the impression I get it is people don't like them too much?

 

Any advice? I listen to mostly hip-hop/electronic music and I'll be using these unamped, at least for a while.



HD558's sound better than any headphones in price-range.  They're incredibly neutral, have very good bass, some of the best soundstages, easy to power and amazingly comfortable.   I was buying new headphone in that price range 8-9 months back and I tried just about every headphone from 150-250 $ and HD558's  and HD598's were leagues ahead of anything else.  They're really the only proper audiophile cans without any major faults in terms of sound (nothing is lacking, nothing is boosted, etc) under the price range of HD600, DT880, etc..

 

They are also extremely underrated here on head-fi....mostly because majority of people haven't heard them , and 99% of those who haven't heard them look at them as a HD555 redesign, while in fact, they are completely new headphones, which put even HD595's to shame in terms of sound.


Edited by derbigpr - 9/25/11 at 5:33pm
post #7532 of 29490

Hi everyone, I'm relatively new to the world of higher-end audio and I've never owned a full-size headphone before so I suppose it can't hurt to ask here for guidance... I've got some rather specific parameters:

 

I listen almost exclusively to (extreme) metal of almost every subgenre (symphonic, doom, death, black), but I enjoy post-rock and jazz too. My budget is $250 max, although I would appreciate not having to spend that much if it's not necessary.

 

I can't speak too much in audiophile terms, but I would say that I prefer a neutral sound signature. For reference, my set of IEMs are Phonak PFEs and I'm quite happy with them.

 

One problem though is that I'm a big black metal fan, and while there is plenty of variation in the genre, some of these recordings are inherently low-fi and nothing can be done about that. It's not a large percentage of my tracks, but I do enjoy them so is it possible that there is something that is able to bring out the details and clarity in well-produced music, yet is somewhat forgiving on the more poorly recorded ones (once again not big on the terms, but I suppose I'm not looking for an analytical sound?)?

 

Finally, my source will be a Cowon X7 and my laptop, for which I'm considering purchasing an amp but as of now I have no preference on whether one is necessary or not and I have no preference to open or closed headphones.

 

Sorry if this is a rather specific request, but I'm still a noob with relatively little experience so I need some guidance smile.gif

 

BTW, I'm currently looking at the Fischer Audio FA-003 as my first choice.

post #7533 of 29490

Hey there guys. I'm considering buying a pair of full-sized headphones for at home, since I've had my Monster Turbine Pro Golds for almost a year now, and the fact that my ears are kinda messed up kinda takes away from them. That being said, I absolutely love their sound, once I get them positioned right in my ears, which usually takes a minute or two.

 

What are some higher-end headphones (not crazy priced, but maybe around $300) that would sound similar to the Pro Golds. In other words, I'd like to have ample bass, nice mids, and decent highs (I can do with slightly rolled-off highs, it hasn't bothered me with the Turbines).

 

Thanks for any help guys. :D

post #7534 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolcomStone View Post

Hey there guys. I'm considering buying a pair of full-sized headphones for at home, since I've had my Monster Turbine Pro Golds for almost a year now, and the fact that my ears are kinda messed up kinda takes away from them. That being said, I absolutely love their sound, once I get them positioned right in my ears, which usually takes a minute or two.

 

What are some higher-end headphones (not crazy priced, but maybe around $300) that would sound similar to the Pro Golds. In other words, I'd like to have ample bass, nice mids, and decent highs (I can do with slightly rolled-off highs, it hasn't bothered me with the Turbines).

 

Thanks for any help guys. :D


What kind of music do you listen to?
post #7535 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post



What kind of music do you listen to?


Oh yeah, I guess that could help. I'm listening to a lot more hip-hop/rap now. I also throw on the occasional metal/rock tune. It's while listening to a rap song that I really appreciate the sub-bass abilities of my Turbines.

 

And I almost forgot, I like a bit of dubstep too. Again, good bass plays a pretty big role.


Edited by VolcomStone - 9/25/11 at 7:47pm
post #7536 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolcomStone View Post





Oh yeah, I guess that could help. I'm listening to a lot more hip-hop/rap now. I also throw on the occasional metal/rock tune. It's while listening to a rap song that I really appreciate the sub-bass abilities of my Turbines.

 

And I almost forgot, I like a bit of dubstep too. Again, good bass plays a pretty big role.


Because you want a fair balance with bass still playing a big role you might want to consider the XB1000. I haven't heard it personally (very sadly) but it sounds like it's fairly balanced with amazing sub-bass extension.

I think it may be the way to go because of your love for sub-bass. Another to think about would be the Ultrasone Pro 750. Tons of kick but still a balanced sound. One of my favorites because of that. I love balance, and I love bass impact...they usually don't go hand in hand.
post #7537 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post



Because you want a fair balance with bass still playing a big role you might want to consider the XB1000. I haven't heard it personally (very sadly) but it sounds like it's fairly balanced with amazing sub-bass extension.

I think it may be the way to go because of your love for sub-bass. Another to think about would be the Ultrasone Pro 750. Tons of kick but still a balanced sound. One of my favorites because of that. I love balance, and I love bass impact...they usually don't go hand in hand.


Thanks a ton, I'll have a look into those. It's great to hear some opinions from someone who has a similar preference to me. Nothing against people like joker who love technical perfection, but bass impact is almost a necessity for me. I purchased the Soundmagic PL-50s because they apparently sound great for their price. Maybe they sound great from a clarity standpoint (cause they do... they're actually really good for $55), but the fact that they have almost no bass impact makes them brutally boring... I'd listen to $15 Sonys any day.

 

Once again, thanks a ton. :D

 

post #7538 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post


The bass is very good actually, with arguably better extension compared to the 770/990, though it doesn't "whomp" like the 770. A recent poster in the Beyer comparison thread noted that burn-in seems to significantly affect (improve) the bass of the 880. I've never listened to a brand new DT880, so I can't comment there.



It's now in my top 5.  I think I'm going to make a decision between an Ultrasone and the new Sony XB 1000 for Xmas, then when I we move into a better apt in April (lease is due), I'll start putting together all the necessary pieces to bring my man cave to life.  

 

Thanks.



 

post #7539 of 29490

Hey all I was looking to find some headphones, got a pair of hje900s based off some recommendations here a few months ago and I love them so I figure ill take a step up and try some cans.

 

Now I honestly don't know whether id prefer open or closed really all I care about is sound quality these will only be used in my room really.

 

I listen to a lot of what I consider "production heavy" music basically I love hearing little details in heavily produced songs (mainstream, dance music, etc etc) I also love indie rock and dream pop, lots of hip hop and rap aswell but I don't want that to make you think im looking for bass cans (bass is nice but I don't want it to be overpowering or anything mostly want detail)

 

I was looking to spend max 200$ maybe alittle more if the value is really there, would also prefer something on amazon since I have 100 and something in credit there that would help but don't let that change your recommendation.

 

Thanks for your time.

post #7540 of 29490

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B0042A8CW2

 

Still my favorite headphone in the price range and (IMO) perfect for you. Especially because you mentioned not wanting overpowering bass, but detail. 

 

I really can't stop recommending them. HD 598 'til I die.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterj View Post

Hey all I was looking to find some headphones, got a pair of hje900s based off some recommendations here a few months ago and I love them so I figure ill take a step up and try some cans.

 

Now I honestly don't know whether id prefer open or closed really all I care about is sound quality these will only be used in my room really.

 

I listen to a lot of what I consider "production heavy" music basically I love hearing little details in heavily produced songs (mainstream, dance music, etc etc) I also love indie rock and dream pop, lots of hip hop and rap aswell but I don't want that to make you think im looking for bass cans (bass is nice but I don't want it to be overpowering or anything mostly want detail)

 

I was looking to spend max 200$ maybe alittle more if the value is really there, would also prefer something on amazon since I have 100 and something in credit there that would help but don't let that change your recommendation.

 

Thanks for your time.



 

 

post #7541 of 29490

How do sennheiser cans compare to IEMS? Right before I bought the hje's I bought some sennheisers at around the same price-point after they were recommended on here aswell and the sound was very disappointing compared to the pana's so I'm a bit weary of buying another pair. Sorry if I'm coming off like a jerk I definitely appreciate the reply and the recommendation just trying to get as much info as I can :). Any idea how they compare to AIAIAI TMA-1s?

post #7542 of 29490

No one here seems to talk about Sol Republic's phones. Anyone ever try them?

 

I'm currently scoping out the Shures discussed before and ATH-ES7s

post #7543 of 29490


HD 598 vs the TMA-1?

 

The Senn. is on another level clarity wise. Bass slam...TMA-1. Bass extension...598. 

 

The TMA-1 is the darkest headphone I've ever heard were as the Senn is pretty balanced. They're completely different in almost every way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterj View Post

How do sennheiser cans compare to IEMS? Right before I bought the hje's I bought some sennheisers at around the same price-point after they were recommended on here aswell and the sound was very disappointing compared to the pana's so I'm a bit weary of buying another pair. Sorry if I'm coming off like a jerk I definitely appreciate the reply and the recommendation just trying to get as much info as I can :). Any idea how they compare to AIAIAI TMA-1s?



 

 

post #7544 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoxile View Post

No one here seems to talk about Sol Republic's phones. Anyone ever try them?

 

I'm currently scoping out the Shures discussed before and ATH-ES7s

 

No one talks about Sol Republic because they're co-founded by Kevin Lee, the marketing VP of Monster Cable, who is behind the reviled Beats headphones. Suffice to say, based on Lee's track record, we know what to expect. It's the same reason why no one talks about WesC or UrbanEars on Head-Fi.

 

I myself read a bit about Sol Republic, thought, 'oh, that's interesting,' and went right back to my Ultrasones.

 

And speaking about Monster Cable, Engadget sure tore them a new one a while ago. They're like the Apple Inc. of the audio world.


Edited by 12345142 - 9/25/11 at 10:03pm
post #7545 of 29490


Ouch, didn't know they were based in Monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345142 View Post

 

No one talks about Sol Republic because they're co-founded by Kevin Lee, the marketing VP of Monster Cable, who is behind the reviled Beats headphones. Suffice to say, based on Lee's track record, we know what to expect. It's the same reason why no one talks about WesC or UrbanEars on Head-Fi.

 

I myself read a bit about Sol Republic, thought, 'oh, that's interesting,' and went right back to my Ultrasones.

 

And speaking about Monster Cable, Engadget sure tore them a new one a while ago. They're like the Apple Inc. of the audio world.



 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum