Basically what he said. I think the Pro 900 have faster transient response for electronica though.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG High Performance Closed-Back DJ Headphones - K181DJtagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAlessandro MS1itagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ESW9Atagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphonestagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 11/1/12
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by PETACRON, 5/8/13
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 2/1/11
- productDenon AH-D7000 - Headphonestagged by System, 2/1/11More
- productGrado SR-325i Prestige Series Headphonestagged by System, 12/19/10
- productGrado SR-80tagged by System, 2/1/11
- productMonster Beats By Dre Solotagged by System, 2/1/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 12/19/10
- productPanasonic RP-HTX7-K1 Monitor Headphones (black)tagged by System, 2/1/11
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 2/1/11
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 12/19/10
- productShure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black)tagged by System, 2/1/11
- productShure SRH840tagged by System, 2/1/11
- productUltrasone DJ1 PROtagged by System, 2/1/11
Related Forum Threads
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) Last post on Today at 12:15 am in Video Games Discussion
- Need help to get headphones - Novice in Head-Fi land.... Last post on 2/19/12 at 1:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015) Last post on 2/1/17 at 9:52pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)Last edited: 12/15/16
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
Introduction I have been an enthusiastic headphone user for many MANY years now. My first set of serious headphones were the open-backed Sennheiser HD400 headphones. From what I remember about...
Introduction: From the company that brought you the N5 and N6 sources comes the Cayin i5. The i5 is their entry into the very competitve mid priced DAP market. Cayin also has other lines of...
The product was provided to me free of charge for the review purpose in exchange for my honest opinion. The review was originally posted on my blog, and now I would like to share it with all of...
UP with the Encasement of Sound! When I heard the Shanling UP, I was perplexed. I had read many a comment espousing the virtues of the Audioquest Dragonfly Black (DFB), and especially the Red...
To begin with, I would like to thank iFi for making this great tour and allowing some of us to test this product. I've been enjoying my original micro iDSD since January 2015 and it is really a...
++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 499post #7471 of 294909/24/11 at 11:48am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #7472 of 294909/24/11 at 11:57ampost #7473 of 294909/24/11 at 12:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by angelmyluv
I'm going to choose between ATH-M50 / ATH-M50S ,or AKG 701 ..
but i'm still newbie at headphones ,
so i would like to ask you all who have purchased and played with it ,
which one would fit me? AKG , or ATH?
ah , or , maybe you can also give me suggestions , my budget is around 300 bucks ..
i'm listening to jazz , blues , maybe some oldies , instrumental ..
p.s: i don't need any "extra bass" , i guess :\
and i think i will use that headphone for a long time , so i will need something comfortable to wear ..
any suggestion? thanks for reading and answering
and sorry for my bad english english isn't my primary language at my country lol , so i still having a lot of trouble x__x
Not the ATH-M50's. They don't excell in any of the genres you mentioned, in fact they really dont excell in anything but electronic, IMHO.
Even then, they still have fatiguing treble which you will notice and it will bother you.
Since you mentioned you don't need extra bass, i would definately recommend the 701 out of your 2 choices...but they arent really a good all rounder either.
Maybe try a sennheiser 598 as mentioned above, i heard it is balanced and plays nicely without an amp and rounds wellpost #7474 of 294909/24/11 at 12:17pmpost #7475 of 294909/24/11 at 12:27pmI'm selling my SRH750DJs for about $150 on eBay and getting a different headphones. Maybe ATH-M50? I would've got HD25s when they were on sale on Amazon, but they only ship in USA.
Sent from my iPod touch 4g using Tapatalkpost #7476 of 294909/24/11 at 12:51pmQuote:Quote:Originally Posted by MorbidToaster
HD 598 sounds perfect. Excellent for gaming and Classical. As for Hip-hop...if you like hearing the words in the song more than the bass you'll like the 598. DubStep is a little different with the 598, but I prefer it to most SUPER BASS headphones for EDM.
As far as amping goes I don't think the 598 needs one but they benefit from one. Because you're looking at open headphones I assume you're not too worried about them being portable. In which case I would recommend the NuForce uDac.
The 598 and a uDac are a great place to start this hobby off, IMO.
EDIT: Don't take that to mean they are bass light. They are not. They have quite a healthy amount of bass.
Thank you both for your response it looks like i will get the hd598's just one last question. Is there a "Burn in time" with these headphones?
post #7477 of 294909/24/11 at 1:55pm
Looking to change up a bit from my Denon D2000s.
I'm a huge fan of the headphones, but lately I've been wanting something that's different but doesn't stray from my love of nice bass and detailed highs (in other words no overly dark or flat, neutral headphones need apply). Perhaps more on the mids and prat and less on the depth of bass.
I have the Ultrasone 780s and Sony XB 1000s in sight.
Any other recommendations?
Edited by roker - 9/24/11 at 2:00pmpost #7478 of 294909/24/11 at 2:54pmpost #7479 of 294909/24/11 at 3:02pm
I've got my main portable rig all sorted out nicely (WhipMod->WhipLOD->RSA SR71A->Terminator (V4) Darth Beyers. Very, VERY happy with the results.
But now I need a tiny auxiliary rig for exercising. I'll be using the Sansa Clip+, and - to keep it small - I don't think I'll even amp it. I'm just looking for a recommendation for small headphones. IEMs and ear buds aren't my first choice - as they tend to fall out easily under the best of circumstances, let alone with lots of movement and sweating. I was thinking about the Koss PortaPros - but I'm afraid the metal band would pull out hairs. Perhaps the Senn PX 100-II? I'm open to ideas, they just need to stay on my ears, not require amplification, and be fairly cheap.
I've got great sound already - just need something that's not awful now that I'm spoiled.
Edit: I was just looking at the Soundmagic PL50 as well - which looks like it might be a good choice, since they have the over ear "hooks" to stay in place. Would those be a good choice?
Edited by gamersince1976 - 9/24/11 at 3:39pmpost #7480 of 294909/24/11 at 3:29pmpost #7481 of 294909/24/11 at 3:46pmpost #7482 of 294909/24/11 at 3:51pm
Thank you both so much. I can not wait to get these headphones.
Quote:Quote:post #7483 of 294909/24/11 at 4:01pmpost #7484 of 294909/24/11 at 5:09pmLooking for neutral headphones at around $300 or less. Must be closed back. I was set on the Fischer Audio FA-002ws, but I just read that there is a good 5 week wait on average from order to when you receive them.
I'd prefer them to have decent bass, still neutral, just not anemic.
Thanks.post #7485 of 294909/24/11 at 5:10pm
Hey everyone, still pretty new to the community but I love it so far. I've learned so much just by clicking and reading random threads. Anyways I have a question regarding buying some new headphones. So my girlfriend is cramping my style and complains everytime I listen to my HD 650's. She says they are too loud and she can't concentrate...it's unfortunate that in our office her desk is next to mine. So after countless complaints I said screw I'll just buy a pair of closed headphones. Thats where I need some help. I haven't heard enough closed phones to make an informed decision. (I've only listen really to open aire Sennheiser and Grado's).
I've been looking on Amazon and other places for used Denon 2000, 5000, and 7000's. Would those give me sound thats close to my beloved HD 650's? My gear is as follows: Marantz CD5004, Marantz PM5004 and a PC with a Sound Blaster X-FI HD. In my other thread I was contemplating buying a dedicated headphone amp as well, but after this last complaint from my gf I think closed headphones should be first. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
This thread is locked
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 15 seconds ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 50 seconds ago
- › Obscure Chinese DAPs 1 minute ago
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 2 minutes ago
- › Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones 2 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 2 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 2 minutes ago
- › Prog rock 2 minutes ago
- › Jaybird power Issues ( X, X2, X3, Freedoms) 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony NW-WM1Z/ NW-WM1A Flagship DAP (Live From IFA 2016) 3 minutes ago
- › 1MORE1008 Earbud by Peddler
- › Cayin i5 by subguy812
- › Lotoo Paw Pico by twister6
- › Shanling UP Portable DAC/Headphone Amplifier AMP ES9018K2M+MAX97... by ngoshawk
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by rafaelpernil
- › PureSounds PS100-600 by BloodyPenguin
- › Schiit Audio Vali 2 by DeeKay10
- › AKG K92 | Over Ear Closed Back Monitoring Headphone by SaturnVuk
- › ORIVETI NEW PRIMACY - Premium Triple Driver Hybrid HiFi IEM Headphones by Hisoundfi
- › Accutone Gemini HD by crabdog
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear