or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 470  

post #7036 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post




Beware the taste of sweet ortho magic... you'll never back...


But I've heard that the hifiman's were very hard to drive will it be ok with the Maverick TubeMagic A1 Amplifier ?
Because in this case which one should I chose the HE-5LE or the HE-4 ?
post #7037 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by butter30 View Post

Hi, i'm looking for some advice on what headphone to purchase

 

I am considering these two headphones 

Sennheiser HD518

Sony MDR ZX700

or any other headphones from £50-80

 

I listen to all kinds of music from electronic, pop,  rock and etc.

I plan to use these headphones for listening at home and on the go, build quality is very important to me as my previous headphone and iems had relatively good sound quality but died on me within months.

 


The Sony V6/7506 would be a decent choice. Good sound, rugged construction, collapsible.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewberge View Post

Hey guys, a friend just asked me to recommend a pair of wireless cans for watching movies at home.

She needs these as a gift in like, ten days, so she probably can't order from the States and wait for customs to clear anything, so it will need to be available in Canada.

She didn't tell me her budget, but i'm pretty sure it's the less then $100 range.

 

Any ideas? The guy she's giving them to isn't an audiophile, so he won't be picky, but it would be cool to get cans that are great bang for the buck. If you don't have a specific model, just an idea of what to look for would be nice (brand, specific features), and i would look for whatever's best according to that. Thanks!



Below $100?... nothing worthwhile that I can think of. Just look for whatever's on sale. There's two options at Futureshop: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/category/wireless-headphones/10037.aspx?path=08bb24419dc5b716188cd3d0d6572383en01

post #7038 of 29490

Hmm, I'm currently looking to buy headphones for my brother. He listens mostly to reggae, rap, hip-hop, and R&B while I'm the polar opposite since I listen to Rock, some metal, industrial metal, and some dubstep. He currently has the beats earbuds and apparently he likes the Bose headphones. Question is what kind of headphones compliments his music?  At the most I'm looking for anything below $120. Any help would be appreciated. normal_smile%20.gif

post #7039 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlasblade View Post

Hmm, I'm currently looking to buy headphones for my brother. He listens mostly to reggae, rap, hip-hop, and R&B while I'm the polar opposite since I listen to Rock, some metal, industrial metal, and some dubstep. He currently has the beats earbuds and apparently he likes the Bose headphones. Question is what kind of headphones compliments his music?  At the most I'm looking for anything below $120. Any help would be appreciated. normal_smile%20.gif

 

How much do you like your brother?

THIS much?

or

THIS much?

 

They are like your M50's but cheaper and a little less Sound Quality Still good quality

post #7040 of 29490

Those will do fine. Especially at those prices. Thanks a lot. And yes, I love my bro a lot. he's a cool dude. Since he recently came back from Afghanistan, I want him to have some good headphones. 

post #7041 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlasblade View Post

Those will do fine. Especially at those prices. Thanks a lot. And yes, I love my bro a lot. he's a cool dude. Since he recently came back from Afghanistan, I want him to have some good headphones. 



It's the same headphone, btw

 

Also tell him that Monster makes good headphones, just not named after any pop artists. Turbine and Miles Davis series have a following here

 

EDIT: check the monoprice thread for different pads for those. Keanex did a nice review and modding thread about a weak go. Just search monoprice here

post #7042 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewberge View Post

Hey guys, a friend just asked me to recommend a pair of wireless cans for watching movies at home.

She needs these as a gift in like, ten days, so she probably can't order from the States and wait for customs to clear anything, so it will need to be available in Canada.

She didn't tell me her budget, but i'm pretty sure it's the less then $100 range.

 

Any ideas? The guy she's giving them to isn't an audiophile, so he won't be picky, but it would be cool to get cans that are great bang for the buck. If you don't have a specific model, just an idea of what to look for would be nice (brand, specific features), and i would look for whatever's best according to that. Thanks!


Pick something by Sony. Do not get ANYTHING with Kleer wireless. There will be lag between the video and audio.

 

post #7043 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post




Gavin - I haven't heard the DT990s - but the DT880s are excellent for all the genres you listed.  They are really good all-rounders.  When you add tubes to the mix, it warms up the mids and to me they become REALLY good.  Great balance, really comfortable.  I'd definitely be looking at the DT880s with tubes.

 

Sorry - my HD600 still in transit, so I can't give you a comparison.

 


How long before you get the HD600s. Might be worth waiting.
post #7044 of 29490

Likely to be about 10 days.  So far most of my cans going from US to NZ have taken around that time.  Then another week or so to really decide which I like better.  Must be someone in your area that has the HD600s or the Beyers that you can at least try?

 

In the meantime - this thread "might" help - it's one of the ones I looked at:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/527354/hd-600-vs-dt-880-600ohm-version

 

I have to admit Gavin - I'm in the same boat as you - unsure which way to go longer term.  In the meantime, I'm selling my 250 ohm DT880 Pros locally (NZ) to help pay for the HD600s and the NFB-12.  After that next stop is a Little Dot MkIII.

 

I'll give the HD600 a month or so - then decide if I hold onto them or go back to the Beyers again (but next time the 600 ohm Premiums).

post #7045 of 29490

Guys, i got a friend going to NYC in a couple days, and asked him if he could bring some cans. Anyone know good places to buy headphones in NY? I believe he will be staying close to the fifth avenue or something like that. 

post #7046 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

Likely to be about 10 days.  So far most of my cans going from US to NZ have taken around that time.  Then another week or so to really decide which I like better.  Must be someone in your area that has the HD600s or the Beyers that you can at least try?

 

In the meantime - this thread "might" help - it's one of the ones I looked at:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/527354/hd-600-vs-dt-880-600ohm-version

 

I have to admit Gavin - I'm in the same boat as you - unsure which way to go longer term.  In the meantime, I'm selling my 250 ohm DT880 Pros locally (NZ) to help pay for the HD600s and the NFB-12.  After that next stop is a Little Dot MkIII.

 

I'll give the HD600 a month or so - then decide if I hold onto them or go back to the Beyers again (but next time the 600 ohm Premiums).


Sadly there are no dealers anywhere in my area. It is awful. Best I did over lunch was listen to a few Audio Technica but they are not what I really want.

I found this thread which might help you too. Go half way down for the HD600 vs http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

The Little Dot III will work very well apparently with the 600 ohm Beyers. I have the LD MKIV, hence why I really want to select either the DT990 or HD600, but as they are very expensive I need to get it right first time.

I did buy some Beyer DT770 600 ohm, but the left driver was crackling when playing music thru a variety of hardware, the ear cushion was slightly off on the right side, and the right ear cushion didn't look as new as I had thought. I have had to send this back and ask for a full refund. Very frustrating. Also, the company involved didnt inspire confidence when I first contacted them. I bought them via Amazon, but using a well known internet headphone company. This issue of the left driver has knocked my confidence a little with Beyers. But then my local audio shop made a comment that he didn't stock Sennheisers, as their build quality is not brilliant. Cant win.

Really stuck. On paper the Beyer 990 specs suit the LD amp the best. The HD600 aren't too bad with 300 ohm, but opinions are so mixed on here and subjective.

For example I listened in my local shop to some Grados. Quite like the sound, but no bass lines and seemed to lack sound stage or airiness . All subjective of course.
post #7047 of 29490

Actually  if you want an introduction to the Grado sound - but don't want to outlay a lot of cash - get the Alessandro MS1i.  USD 100 delivered anywhere in the world.  Gorgeous mids.  Easy to drive.  Scale well if you prepared to mod.  I'm not a practical guy - but even I'm surprised how easy it is.  Funny thing is that I currently have Shure SRH940s, the MS1is and the DT880 Pros.  The one headphone I'm definitely keeping is the Alessandro.  Going to woody them at some stage.

 

Thanks for the link.  Keep in touch once you make your decision - I'll do same when my HD600's get here.  I'll be interested to see how you end up (compare notes).

post #7048 of 29490
Will do smily_headphones1.gif
post #7049 of 29490

So, yeah.

 

Thanks for the recommendations.

 

I'm afraid I really want circumaural cans, so I guess the Senn HD25 II is out.

 

What I have on the list right now:

 

Shure 440

Audio Technica M50S

Numark PHX Pro

Beyer DT660

 

I'm currently leaning towards the DT660, as i've read reviews that they're great for classical/jazz, which is what I usually listen to. Could anyone recommend any others? I'll probably be getting these.

 

My criteria: Portable (!), Circumaural, and sounds fine unamped. Around 100 - 200 dollars.

 

I've heard great things about the Audio Technica M50S, but they're currentlay at $160 on amazon, and i've heard that they should not be more than $100. For the record, due to my location, I pretty much HAVE to buy from amazon.

 

Any ideas?


Edited by anemoii - 9/9/11 at 7:20am
post #7050 of 29490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

Below $100?... nothing worthwhile that I can think of. Just look for whatever's on sale. There's two options at Futureshop: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/category/wireless-headphones/10037.aspx?path=08bb24419dc5b716188cd3d0d6572383en01


I figured as much. Cheap and wireless isn't a great combination. Thanks.



Quote:
Originally Posted by faisal2003456 View Post

Pick something by Sony. Do not get ANYTHING with Kleer wireless. There will be lag between the video and audio.

 


And thank you, too. That's really good to know :)

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum