or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 465  

post #6961 of 29490
Quote:
Bigger than the Beyer DTs? Hmm... that leaves the full sized Sennheisers (basically the 598 without amp), the winged Audio Technicas, Phiaton PS 500 ... and the Sony XB 700/1000. Maybe the Ultrasones too; though I think they might be the same size as the DTs. Same for the Shure 840/940 which aren't really bigger but they're oval so that might be better. 

 

You'll want closed with only moderate isolation (so that rules out the Senn), and more rugged to survive the trip (so no Audio Technicas).

 

Of the remainders, the most comfortable for me was the Phiaton PS500 (and remains one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned). The isolation is moderate as well, so you'll be able to hear people sneak up on you, and the leakage is minimal


If I was to leave then at work, which of the Audio Technica's would you recommend?
post #6962 of 29490

Hi

 

  I am looking for some at home use headphones.  I do not have an amp.  As far as i know i prefer a neutral detailed sound with possibly a bit of lower end or impact added.  i currently use hf5 iems for my portable players and enjoy them.  I tried some hd203 which i felt had lacking detail and tamed highs and possibly muddy bass.

 

  These are the only things ive heard recently and can go by.  I dont think i care for the overall dark sound of the sennheiser headphones  or the lack of  detail they seem to have, i do however like their laid back sound.  Can detail and clarity along with having a laid back sound without being too dark sounding be found in the same headphone?

 

I need a neutral  clear detailed over the ear headphone for use at home without an amp.  Prefer a bit of lower end impact but will not give up clarity or detail for it.  What brands should i be trying out?

post #6963 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmatt110 View Post

If I was to leave then at work, which of the Audio Technica's would you recommend?


Well sky's the limit... there's the A700, A900, A1000x, A2000x, W1000x, W5000x. I've heard the A700, A900, and W1000, and there's improvement going up with better extension and clarity. I noticed a big improvement from the A700 to the A900, a small one going to the W1000x.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Meder View Post

Hi

 

  I am looking for some at home use headphones.  I do not have an amp.  As far as i know i prefer a neutral detailed sound with possibly a bit of lower end or impact added.  i currently use hf5 iems for my portable players and enjoy them.  I tried some hd203 which i felt had lacking detail and tamed highs and possibly muddy bass.

 

  These are the only things ive heard recently and can go by.  I dont think i care for the overall dark sound of the sennheiser headphones  or the lack of  detail they seem to have, i do however like their laid back sound.  Can detail and clarity along with having a laid back sound without being too dark sounding be found in the same headphone?

 

I need a neutral  clear detailed over the ear headphone for use at home without an amp.  Prefer a bit of lower end impact but will not give up clarity or detail for it.  What brands should i be trying out?


Sounds like the Shure 840 to be. Bass tilt without sucking out the mids, decent detailing and everything is just laid back and relaxing.

 

post #6964 of 29490
Quote:
Well sky's the limit... there's the A700, A900, A1000x, A2000x, W1000x, W5000x. I've heard the A700, A900, and W1000, and there's improvement going up with better extension and clarity. I noticed a big improvement from the A700 to the A900, a small one going to the W1000x.

How is the isolation/leaking for the Ax00 series?
post #6965 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmatt110 View Post



How is the isolation/leaking for the Ax00 series?


Moderate. The audio technicas do not clamp very hard, and their large cups tend to resonate with outside noise along the midbass (typical of large closed headphones).

post #6966 of 29490

I'm looking for a super durable set of headphones I won't have to worry about breaking due to cheapness, or fretting that it's got bad low, mid, or highs. Looking for something I can buy that I can be confident will last with not only time but my growing familiarity and experience in audio fidelity. Basically, not looking to get something 'mid-level' I'll hate by years end because I start to hear flaws I didn't hear before. I know this hobby is something of a 'there's always something better!' (aren't they all, though?), but I'm looking for 90-95% and am content to stay there.

 

Source would be my laptop and my iPhone 4. I don't have a DAC/amplifier. It'd be primarily used in my room, during travel, or in the library, though I don't particularly care if others hear what I'm listening to as long as it sounds great to me. 

 

I listen to primarily dance/electro, but I value versatility as I do listen to alot of classical Western and Eastern music. I'd prefer to spend under 200, especially since they're not being powered by anything special. No sense in paying more for diminishing returns, but most of you would know better than me. If there's a $300 bad boy that will survive bullets, it's a fair investment. 

 

I looked into Pioneer's HDJ-2000, which are really expensive but appear to be indestructible and comfortable. On the other hand, I fear it is overkill and my poor iPhone won't have the chops to drive it. 

 

For reference, I'm upgrading from a now broken pair of Sennheiser px-100, which I was really disappointed by in terms of quality. The jack wire is damaged and the right speaker is nonfunctional because of it, which is why I'm big on quality this time.

 

I always liked the idea of having insulated headphones to allow me to listen to my music at a lower volume as well, though this takes a backseat to the previous concerns. If there are options at different price points, I'd like to see them. Couple bills cheaper but within a tiny difference in sound quality is acceptable.

 

Thanks for reading guys!


Edited by drholiday - 9/6/11 at 6:53pm
post #6967 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by drholiday View Post

I'm looking for a super durable set of headphones I won't have to worry about breaking due to cheapness, or fretting that it's got bad low, mid, or highs. Looking for something I can buy that I can be confident will last with not only time but my growing familiarity and experience in audio fidelity. Basically, not looking to get something 'mid-level' I'll hate by years end because I start to hear flaws I didn't hear before. I know this hobby is something of a 'there's always something better!' (aren't they all, though?), but I'm looking for 90-95% and am content to stay there.

 

Source would be my laptop and my iPhone 4. I don't have a DAC/amplifier. It'd be primarily used in my room, during travel, or in the library, though I don't particularly care if others hear what I'm listening to as long as it sounds great to me. 

 

I listen to primarily dance/electro, but I value versatility as I do listen to alot of classical Western and Eastern music. I'd prefer to spend under 200, especially since they're not being powered by anything special. No sense in paying more for diminishing returns, but most of you would know better than me. If there's a $300 bad boy that will survive bullets, it's a fair investment. 

 

I looked into Pioneer's HDJ-2000, which are really expensive but appear to be indestructible and comfortable. On the other hand, I fear it is overkill and my poor iPhone won't have the chops to drive it. 

 

For reference, I'm upgrading from a now broken pair of Sennheiser px-100, which I was really disappointed by in terms of quality. The jack wire is damaged and the right speaker is nonfunctional because of it, which is why I'm big on quality this time.

 

I always liked the idea of having insulated headphones to allow me to listen to my music at a lower volume as well, though this takes a backseat to the previous concerns. If there are options at different price points, I'd like to see them. Couple bills cheaper but within a tiny difference in sound quality is acceptable.

 

Thanks for reading guys!


You may find the HDJ 2000 boring. It's an excellent headphone but I hear that from people every now and then. I love them personally. They should be powered just fine from almost anything.

Alternatives: Sennheiser HD 25-1 II (Very durable, all parts can be replaced, great all rounder and excellent for EDM), AIAIAI TMA-1 (Again very durable, very comfortable [for me], bigger bass hump but very good all rounder with small EQ), Phiaton MS 300/400 (Sexy and pretty durable, comfort is great), Ultrasone Pro 750 (Great build quality, excellent all rounder, I currently own them). Afterthoughts: HFI 580/780, DT 770 (low ohm

These are coming from someone that listens to primarily EDM as well. All should sound good out of almost anything. Been using the Pro 750 with only my iPhone. Love it.
Edited by MorbidToaster - 9/6/11 at 8:18pm
post #6968 of 29490

As much as I like the HDJ-2000 and think it's a better all-rounder sonically, I think the HD25-1-ii would be a better match for you for your genres and requirements for durability. It punches a little harder in the lows and highs, and scores points for sheer simplicity in addition to its ruggedness. While the HDJ-2000 is very well built, fixing it isn't as simple as the drop-in-replacement ability of the HD25.

 

Even higher up the indestructible ranking would be the DBI Pro 700/705. I'm not a fan of the sound personally, but they're decent and go for dirt cheap on ebay when they pop up (we're talking <$50).

post #6969 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

Hah! I've auditioned it in the past, and I currently have one in my possession as I intend to write a review/comparison of the HD25, T50p and DT1350 (and HDJ2000).

 

Quick notes on the T50p: V shaped response with treble tilt, great for rock, funny fit but very comfortable once you get the right spot

 


It's awesome that you've heard every set I'm considering... let's just hope you're not totally tone deaf ;-).

 

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and order the 2000s this morning... T50ps sound decent, but the V shaped response probably isn't the best for male singer-songwriters (?). Should I be looking at the DT1350/HD25 as contenders, though? Every time I settle I hear a different phone mentioned in the same sentence! Haha.

 

post #6970 of 29490

Heh, well I've gone through a lot of headphones. I'm also the local meet organizer, so I've got reasonable exposure to gear (for a Canadian).

 

For male vocals, I would pick the HDJ-2000 or the DT1350 (the T50p is no slouch, though I like it more for instruments than vocals). More brief notes...

 

HDJ2000: circumaural, more comfortable (for me), more durable, more of thumpy fun sound, more resonance especially in the bass, replaceable cord, better for DJ and casual listening

DT1350: supraaural, better isolation, folds flat and has a case but doesn't feel as durable, the entire spectrum feels lean and precise but veering on the cool side, better for production/studio and maybe live recordings

 

 


Edited by Armaegis - 9/7/11 at 12:09am
post #6971 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

Heh, well I've gone through a lot of headphones. I'm also the local meet organizer, so I've got reasonable exposure to gear (for a Canadian).

 

For male vocals, I would pick the HDJ-2000 or the DT1350 (the T50p is no slouch, though I like it more for instruments than vocals). More brief notes...

 

HDJ2000: circumaural, more comfortable (for me), more durable, more of thumpy fun sound, more resonance especially in the bass, replaceable cord, better for DJ and casual listening

DT1350: supraaural, better isolation, folds flat and has a case but doesn't feel as durable, the entire spectrum feels lean and precise but veering on the cool side, better for production/studio and maybe live recordings

 

 



I find myself leaning slightly towards the 1350s now! Argh, I am the least decisive person in the world when it comes to headphones. I think I'm only leaning that way because of looks, too...

 

When you say lean and precise, does that mean they're slightly lacking in warmth? Also, is one more easily driven than the other? I'm going to start off with just a laptop/iPod...

 

Thanks again for all your help, I'm almost there!

post #6972 of 29490
I want to ask about sennheiser HD 518; they have been out for about a year, yet i rarely see anybody here talk about them. The few reviews aren't so helpful either. Seems a bit underrated to me.

I found them in a local store for a good price, can anyone recommend them to a %30 rock %30 techno %20 pop %20 rap lover?
post #6973 of 29490

Hello there.  I am looking for a recommendation for my first pair of headphones.

 

Primary Usage:

  -Gaming 50%

  -Music   40%

  -Movies/Shows 10%

 

Music Breakdown:

  -Rock 60%

  -Techno/Trance 20%

  -Indie 20%

 

I'm not really sure what to tell you I want when looking for headphones as these will be my first pair.  Basically I want something that will preform well for games but equally if not a little bit better for music and movies.  Open headphones are perfectly fine as these will mainly be used in my room alone anyway and sound leakage is not a concern.  My price range is about 200$ for the headphones.

 

To go along with the headphones I am also looking for a recommendation for a soundcard that will help these run well.  I do not have my own amp so a soundcard with one built in would be preferred I think?  The price range for the soundcard/whatever else is needed is an additional 200$.

 

Thanks for your help.

post #6974 of 29490

For $200 you can get an external soundcard (dac+amp combo). The FiiO E7 is an example of this, but if you dock it into the FiiO E9 (which allows you to bypass the E7's amp and use the E9's amp) it will give you a superior set-up for $180 in total.

Beyerdyanmic's 770/880/990 is within your range. You might want to check out reviews for these headphones, but I understand that they're very good for gaming and music.

post #6975 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by forTruce View Post

Hello there.  I am looking for a recommendation for my first pair of headphones.

 

Primary Usage:

  -Gaming 50%

  -Music   40%

  -Movies/Shows 10%

 

Music Breakdown:

  -Rock 60%

  -Techno/Trance 20%

  -Indie 20%

 

I'm not really sure what to tell you I want when looking for headphones as these will be my first pair.  Basically I want something that will preform well for games but equally if not a little bit better for music and movies.  Open headphones are perfectly fine as these will mainly be used in my room alone anyway and sound leakage is not a concern.  My price range is about 200$ for the headphones.

 

To go along with the headphones I am also looking for a recommendation for a soundcard that will help these run well.  I do not have my own amp so a soundcard with one built in would be preferred I think?  The price range for the soundcard/whatever else is needed is an additional 200$.

 

Thanks for your help.

Audio Technica ATH-AD700s (bass light) or Sennheiser HD-555.

Asus Xonar DG sound card.
 

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum