or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 433  

post #6481 of 29490

Hi, I'm new to audiophile headphones but I've been reading a lot of the posts in head-fi which is very informative. I'm looking for portable headphones (closed) that delivers good mids - highs or is detailed all around. I listen to acoustic, rock, jazz, chillout (electronic/ambient), to classical. So far I'm leaning mostly towards Ultrasone 750 pro and have recently stumbled upon Audio Technica esw9's. My budget is around $200-230 (what 750 pro's go for). As far as amps go (if necessary) I'll purchase the small fiio's because of their price and portability. So my question is: Am i on the ballpark here, as to what kind of sound and headphones I am looking for? Other headphone suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

post #6482 of 29490


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj212 View Post

I currently have the Sony MDR-XB300 headphones for 2 years and want to upgrade to something better. I actually want to get some Sony headphones cuz I know someone who currently works at Sony and gets a pretty decent discount. Another thing,I don't wanna get the XB500 or the XB700 even though they may be way better then the XB300's. But...I wouldn't mind getting the MDR-XB1000,if they are worth it. :P I mostly listen to music that any normal university going guy would listen to....like rock,hip hop,sometimes pop and the like. I will also be using them unamped from my laptop mostly. Portability is not really a factor and I don't mind how big they are (as long as they are comfy,of course). I was hoping to get a pair which has more and better bass than XB300 (though that may sound dumb since the 300's are meant for bass). Are there any models from Sony which can do that? I was looking at the MDR-V700DJ. Are they worthwile upgrades? Or the MDR-SA1000, I'm currently just looking at the Sony website! :P And one last thing...are wireless headphones meant to be 'less' bassy? Cuz Sony has a few decent looking wireless models on their site. Sorry about all the bass questions but you could say I'm a noob when it comes to audio. :P The bass is one thing I like in my music...plus details and clarity next of course! I wouldn't mind any other suggestions too from Shure,Sennheiser,Denon as long as they are under 200$

Any feedback greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

My Sony XB500 refurbs had mushy bass and weird vocals (so anything you get will sound better).

CALs (Creative Aurvana Live) and Denon AH-D1100 will provide quality bass.

You can get an Asus Xonar U3 USB sound card (it's small and cheap...$40) and will improve the sound of any headphone over your laptops built-in sound.
 

 

post #6483 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post




The K/Q701 are pesky to drive. You'll want an amp with plenty of grunt like the XM6, Headstage Arrow, or iBasso P4. I do recomment a dac just to get away from the noisy power supply of the computer. The XM6 has a dac built in, the other two do not. 

 

 

What other headphones would you recommend that don't require such an expensive amp? I will NOT buy them if they are made in China or cheaply built. I am looking for the headphones to last. Again I listen to alot of Blind Melon, Dave Matthews Band, Phish, and Umphrey's McGee.

 

-Elliott


Edited by canadianpopo - 8/21/11 at 4:53pm
post #6484 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by jailhouselounge View Post

Hi, I'm new to audiophile headphones but I've been reading a lot of the posts in head-fi which is very informative. I'm looking for portable headphones (closed) that delivers good mids - highs or is detailed all around. I listen to acoustic, rock, jazz, chillout (electronic/ambient), to classical. So far I'm leaning mostly towards Ultrasone 750 pro and have recently stumbled upon Audio Technica esw9's. My budget is around $200-230 (what 750 pro's go for). As far as amps go (if necessary) I'll purchase the small fiio's because of their price and portability. So my question is: Am i on the ballpark here, as to what kind of sound and headphones I am looking for? Other headphone suggestions are welcome. Thanks.


While the Pro750 would be better for the chillout, the ESW9a is far better for your other genres overall and is more portable, as well as being easier to drive (no amp necessary, though a small one like the FiiO e5 or upcoming e6 would be sufficient)). 

 

post #6485 of 29490

Do anyone have any ideia about my questions on my last post? (page 431)

post #6486 of 29490

Hi folks.  After going through several sets of sub-$100 IEMs over the years, I just purchased my first pair of nice headphones--a set of AudioTechnica ATH-M50s.  Generally speaking, I like the sound quality of these, but am looking for something a bit more portable to use while I travel or go to the coffee shop.  I just ordered a pair of Grado SR60is, but I think I made a mistake and need to cancel that order.  I like a balanced sound with good, strong bass, but I am not a bass head (I hate that FOOM FOOM FOOM noise when somebody pulls up alongside me in their tricked out ride).  I also seem to be pretty sensitive to bright treble and thus I think the Grados would be a mistake, right?  I am considering either the AudioTechnica ESW9 or Beyerdynamics DT1350.  I mostly listen to classic and modern rock, punk, and pop.  Some favorite bands include Led Zeppelin, The Clash, AC/DC, Oasis, Kasabian, The Raconteurs, the Von Bondies, Gnarls Barkley, etc. I've done a bunch of research here on the forums and elsewhere on the web, but am feeling a bit overwhelmed by all of the options.  I also don't really have any retail locations around here where I can test any headphones.  Any suggestions?  Many thanks!

 

 

P.S. - I forgot to mention that I have a Cowon J3 on the way that I should have by mid-week that will be my main audio source.

post #6487 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post




What's your budget? and do you want just an amp or a dac/amp combo? HotAudio makes some budget amps that aren't all that small nor all that pretty, but they sound good and have lots of power.

 

Go with the 32 ohm version unless you want to spend a lot on amping for the heavier ohm versions.


 


 

sorry repost
 


ya my budget is max 250$ including the amp......i am not looking for a amp/DAC combo.Looking at the price of the DT990 and the fact that i would need a good amp means that its too pricey for me. I wish i could afford more but unfortunately its not possible right now. Looking at the other options I like the HD 598, what amp would be best suited for it within my budget?

post #6488 of 29490

Hello thread lurkers, I'm in need of some assistance. I cannot afford a pair of headphones currently, but I will be making some money tomorrow as I sell my old gaming rig for a grand to my friend. I'm going off to my university on the 1st, and I would like to order a pair of headphones before I go off. Now, I listen to a wide range of music: Indie, Rock, Metal, Hard Rock, Dubstep, Drumstep (Pendulum). Now, I know some headphones are good in some areas, but I would like something very portable since I will be taking these with me when I venture off into the city a lot this year. I was thinking of the Phiaton MS400 for a good pair of headphones. Now I'm on a budget since I will need to drop around 700 dollars for books this semester. My budget is a max of 200 US dollars, I found the Phiatons on Powermax for 187. I would just go for the ATH-M50s but portability is an issue. They are portable, but not as portable as the Phiatons in my eyes. 

 

On another note, my portable audio source is my iPhone, and I'll probably need an amp to get the cans to their full potential. Current pair of phones is the XB500. 


Edited by Lucasthevest - 8/21/11 at 9:33pm
post #6489 of 29490

Ok...then sure my source can support it without amp ?

and big diff about 250 and 600 ohm... 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post


Electronic stuff typically wants strong lowsand highs, new age tends to be all over with perhaps focus on the midhighs (the little I've heard)... and your sound card has a decent amount of grunt to it.

 

If you like the sound of the MS1, I would say consider the Beyerdynamic DT990 (250 or 600 ohm).

 



 



Quote:
Originally Posted by SennheiserHD View Post

What do you feel your ms1's are lacking? I mean what do you want from your new headphones?
 



 

actually tat 1 already send to warranty, one side no sound...

so this why plan to upgrade...after get new,the ms1 will given to my bro....

 


 

 

post #6490 of 29490

I've owned EH350's for a couple of years now, and while they're very good in many respects, I find myself getting the upgrade bug.  They're quite nice through most of the midrange, tending toward a smooth, very slightly warm sound, but I'm finding the bass is a bit too lean and soft, and while the highs are very clean and clear, they're completely lacking any sense of snap or energy.  In order to get that sense of excitement, I have to crank the volume up, but when pushed, a bit of hardness and glare comes into the upper mids and low highs that gets pretty fatiguing.

 
I also picked up some Thinksound Rain IEMs recently and, somewhat surprisingly, they seem to suit my tastes much better.  They don't need to be played as loud, sound more controlled and energetic with heavy, fast-paced music, and the lush, warm mids lend a sense of intimacy to just about everything I've played so far.  These could have potentially even been a replacement, but they're a touch grainy and sibilant in the highs, and none of the included tips really work well with my ears.  I can't say I'm a huge fan of wearing IEMs for several hours while sitting at the computer, either.
 
I've done a fair bit of research on my own the past couple of weeks, but every time I think I've narrowed things down a bit, I feel like something isn't quite right and I'm not finding anything that really offers what I'm looking for.  In short, I'm trying to find headphones that have a similarly smooth, warm midrange to the EH350 and Rain, good bass extension and impact without getting boomy or bloated, and highs that are smooth and relatively laidback, but still keep pace and don't kill any sense of dynamic swing.  
 
I'm willing to accept some degree of compromise for comfort too, since I wear glasses and my ears are fairly close to my head, and I've noticed this seems to make a lot of headphones feel uncomfortable to me.  The Sony MDR-V700's that an ex-roommate of mine had were the worst offenders in this respect, enough so that I'm kinda nervous about heavier, closed headphones, but my old (and terrible) MDR-V300's started digging in pretty badly, too.
 
I'm looking to spend roughly $200-350, and I'm fine with adding an amp if my AudioFire 2 isn't sufficient.  I mainly listen to a mixture dark ambient, trip-hop, dubstep, noise rock, industrial, electro, post-rock, and shoegaze, but do a fair bit of gaming (mostly RPGs), too.
 
I would prefer to hear only from people who own or have extensively auditioned the cans they're recommending.
 
Thoughts?

Edited by filterpunk - 8/21/11 at 10:18pm
post #6491 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucasthevest View Post

Hello thread lurkers, I'm in need of some assistance. I cannot afford a pair of headphones currently, but I will be making some money tomorrow as I sell my old gaming rig for a grand to my friend. I'm going off to my university on the 1st, and I would like to order a pair of headphones before I go off. Now, I listen to a wide range of music: Indie, Rock, Metal, Hard Rock, Dubstep, Drumstep (Pendulum). Now, I know some headphones are good in some areas, but I would like something very portable since I will be taking these with me when I venture off into the city a lot this year. I was thinking of the Phiaton MS400 for a good pair of headphones. Now I'm on a budget since I will need to drop around 700 dollars for books this semester. My budget is a max of 200 US dollars, I found the Phiatons on Powermax for 187. I would just go for the ATH-M50s but portability is an issue. They are portable, but not as portable as the Phiatons in my eyes. 

 

On another note, my portable audio source is my iPhone, and I'll probably need an amp to get the cans to their full potential. Current pair of phones is the XB500. 


I've never heard the Phiatons, but I know the Sennheiser HD-25-1 ii is the go-to headphone for your needs. It is portable (on-ear), durable and has a wide genre-bandwidth. It's a fairly legendary headphone, so you'll have no problem finding feedback on it. Sounds just fine un-amped, and will respond well to amping if you go down that road later on. 

 

post #6492 of 29490

Still looking for a headphone amp and dac for under 1800$- I think I am going to go with the LCD-2 as my headphone. I've looked at the Burson HA-160, DAC-160 and the HA-160D. I've looked at the Peachtree Audio iDecco, anyone know if I could pair that with the HA-160?


Edited by Duncical - 8/21/11 at 10:28pm
post #6493 of 29490

Hey guys I'm new to the site and need to expert advice from you experienced audiophiles. I was thinking of getting a new mid-high headphones and I've narrowed it down to the Audio Technica M50s, Sennheiser 518 HD, and the 598 HD and wasn't too sure which one to get. The music I listen to varies greatly I listen to a lot of rock and metal, but occasionally enjoy the sounds of hip hop and classical music so which would be the best selection I could make? Thanks much!

post #6494 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznxpress82 View Post

Hey guys I'm new to the site and need to expert advice from you experienced audiophiles. I was thinking of getting a new mid-high headphones and I've narrowed it down to the Audio Technica M50s, Sennheiser 518 HD, and the 598 HD and wasn't too sure which one to get. The music I listen to varies greatly I listen to a lot of rock and metal, but occasionally enjoy the sounds of hip hop and classical music so which would be the best selection I could make? Thanks much!



The Senn's and the AT's are very different headphones. The M50's are closed, and so isolate outside sound better, but the downside is that you lose the soundstaging of the open headphones. Will you be walking around with your headphones, or use them primarily for at home use?

post #6495 of 29490

thanks for the reply. Given that ath esw9's are more suited for my type of music, will they also offer the same amount of "detail" that people rave about with their ultrasones?..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum