Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 427  

post #6391 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by buci View Post

Hey guys, does anyone have any idea what there headphones are

 

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_le289mpkGw1qau50i.jpg



hmmm no idea at all. Sorry. triportsad.gif but some of the guys here should be able to help. I've seen the most random headphones on here. They do look like the result of someone putting an Audio technica L3000 with a Sony XB700 in a blender though atsmile.gif

post #6392 of 29490

audio technica m50/Audio Technica ATH-PRO700 MK2  
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBP901 View Post

Hello there Head-fi.org
I'd love to get some recommendations on the following situation:

As a beatmaker/producer in both hiphop and dance genres I'm looking for a headphone. The headphones will only be used at home, so nothing portable is required. Preferably it is good (enough) for mixing-purposing as well.


My budget is around 120 us dollars, and one that works without amp is preferred.

Anyone who can help me out here?



 


Edited by SennheiserHD - 8/19/11 at 6:28am
post #6393 of 29490

The HE-300 are a new offering and are largely untested, the HD-650 are tried and true (they were once considered some of the worlds best headphones), and are some of the best cans you can get for the money because they have been around for so long.The 940's are sort of outclassed here, they are in a different price bracket. What kind of amp/dac you got? 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCa View Post

 

HD-600 vs HD-650 vs HE-300 vs SRH-940 for:
 
asd.jpg


 

post #6394 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCa View Post

 

HD-600 vs HD-650 vs HE-300 vs SRH-940 for:
 
asd.jpg


I would say the 940 or HD600. I found the differences between the 600 and 650 rather minimal and not worth the large price bump (unless you can find a good sale)



Quote:
Originally Posted by buci View Post

Hey guys, does anyone have any idea what there headphones are

 

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_le289mpkGw1qau50i.jpg


They kinda look like a DIY...

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by RBP901 View Post

Hello there Head-fi.org
I'd love to get some recommendations on the following situation:

As a beatmaker/producer in both hiphop and dance genres I'm looking for a headphone. The headphones will only be used at home, so nothing portable is required. Preferably it is good (enough) for mixing-purposing as well.


My budget is around 120 us dollars, and one that works without amp is preferred.

Anyone who can help me out here?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SennheiserHD View Post

audio technica m50/Audio Technica ATH-PRO700 MK2  
 


 

If you're producing, you really don't want a headphone that emphasizes the bass (or any other part of the spectrum for that matter) since it will mess up your desired mix levels and you'll be inverted from what you want.

 

The M50 is alright though it has a slight V shape curve, the Pro700 is bassy so would not be as suitable. The Senn HD280 is an industry workhorse, and the Shure 840 is also a good options though it is bass sloped so you'll want to turn down the bass levels slightly


Edited by Armaegis - 8/19/11 at 7:52am
post #6395 of 29490

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post




$500 gets you a lot of ice cream... or maybe a nice custom Beyer Manufaktur cool.gif

 

Not knowing anything about your music genres or preferences, I say go with a Denon D2000.

 


 

 


 


haha...many genres i have listen...

electronic mostly....( Daft Punk , Chemical Brother & Justice)

Metal ..... (Nine Inch nails , Slipknot & MM)

Indie Pop (suede , Oasis)

etc.....

 

So which 1 more suit ? Or take back open style Can?

 

post #6396 of 29490

I agree you're right about the pro700, i actually edited my post and added that. I prolly should have given it more thought. hail Armaegis king of the guidance thread haha 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post





I would say the 940 or HD600. I found the differences between the 600 and 650 rather minimal and not worth the large price bump (unless you can find a good sale)




They kinda look like a DIY...

 



 


 

If you're producing, you really don't want a headphone that emphasizes the bass (or any other part of the spectrum for that matter) since it will mess up your desired mix levels and you'll be inverted from what you want.

 

The M50 is alright though it has a slight V shape curve, the Pro700 is bass so would not be as suitable. The Senn HD280 is an industry workhorse, and the Shure 840 is also a good options though it is bass sloped so you'll want to turn down the bass levels slightly



 


Edited by SennheiserHD - 8/19/11 at 7:15am
post #6397 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by SennheiserHD View Post

The HE-300 are a new offering and are largely untested, the HD-650 are tried and true (they were once considered some of the worlds best headphones), and are some of the best cans you can get for the money because they have been around for so long.The 940's are sort of outclassed here, they are in a different price bracket. What kind of amp/dac you got? 

 

HE-300 - $299

HD-600 / HD650 - $300-$350

SRH940 $250-300

 

Seems similar to me.  And since when was quality of headphones determined solely on price?  Have you ever heard the SRH940's?

post #6398 of 29490

there is 100 dollars between the 650 and the shures you're not even close on that one by your own prices...........you're talking about something that costs almost 40% more. Yes i've heard the SRH940 and it felt like someone was shoving broken glass into my ears but i didn't want to say that since not everyone has the same tastes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post



HE-300 - $299

HD-600 / HD650 - $300-$350

SRH940 $250-300

 

Seems similar to me.  And since when was quality of headphones determined solely on price?  Have you ever heard the SRH940's?



 


Edited by SennheiserHD - 8/19/11 at 7:58am
post #6399 of 29490

HD650: 350+

HD600: 300+

SRH940: 250+

 

SennsHD is right, about a $100 price difference.

But I definitely agree with brooko, price is definitely not a determining factor, especially since

these headphones are considered to be in the mid-fi class.

 

Sennheisers definitely look better though :P 

 

post #6400 of 29490

+1

 

I didn't even make a recommendation I just told him not to compare 350 dollar headphones to 250 dollar ones. if you have a budget of 350+ there are a lot of headphones you can bring to the table, the srh940 isn't one of them. if you're looking at spending 200-250 and only comparing the HD600 and the 940's the HD600's still win, for the kind of music he is into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkat View Post

HD650: 350+

HD600: 300+

SRH940: 250+

 

SennsHD is right, about a $100 price difference.

But I definitely agree with brooko, price is definitely not a determining factor, especially since

these headphones are considered to be in the mid-fi class.

 

Sennheisers definitely look better though :P 

 



 


Edited by SennheiserHD - 8/19/11 at 8:50am
post #6401 of 29490


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bag3l View Post



It seems that they offer free shipping on products $49 and more... and it seems like these headphones are under that category. 
So maybe this might be my lucky break, but in terms of legitimacy, can I trust this company?
 

 

Audiohipster, I've only bought my HD-668Ds from them (10 days ago), everything was fine.

I've never heard anything negitive about Audiohipster.
 

 

post #6402 of 29490

Hey Head-Fi,

 

Brand new to the site, aside from lurking trying to figure out what set of headphones I should get as my first "good" pair.  I thought I had a decent pair of headphones.  My dad bought an extremely discounted pair of ATH-M50s and I always suspected them of being fake since they never really sounded that great.  I bought a 30 dollar headset for gaming and even that sounds better!  I finally put them both to the test last night and the ATH-M50 (fakes) sounded horrible!  Sound muddy, bass is non-existent and they don't get as loud as my Creative HS-800 Fatal1ty Gaming Headset which sounds more clear and the individual instruments and tracks sound more defined.  Aside from that, the cord seems too short for use with a guitar amp, and they really aren't that comfortable after some moderate use, an hour or two say?

 

Point is, I was really crushed to find out what a piece of crap my dad had bought (let alone wasted money on) for what he thought was a bargain, and I want to find a pair that really shines and brings my huge obsession with music to the next level.

 

I'm looking for a closed over the ear pair of headphones.  I've been eying a couple pairs but I'm not sure if they're what I want (I'm really very new to this).  The most I am willing to spend is 200 dollars.  Let's say the range is $100-200.  I listen to a lot of punk (not sure if that's a real popular genre around here).  Not really 70s punk, but more 90s and current stuff like NOFX, Flatliners, Streetlight Manifesto, rock oriented stuff.  Comfort is a huge must!  After moving home for the academic year, sadly I spend a lot of time around my computer.  So they need to be comfy for hours on end, these likely won't come with me on the go.  They're to be stationary headphones.  And even though they aren't moving, I'd like them to have at least some style.

 

Pairs I was eying: ATH-A700, Sony MDR-XD400, some Denon's (but they're out of my price range).

 

I'm really excited about this, and I'm actually going to go to an audio shop later today to see if I can try on a couple nice pairs.  Thanks for the help guys.  normal_smile%20.gif

post #6403 of 29490

Quote:

Originally Posted by SennheiserHD View Post

I agree you're right about the pro700, i actually edited my post and added that. I prolly should have given it more thought. hail Armaegis king of the guidance thread haha 



 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post





I would say the 940 or HD600. I found the differences between the 600 and 650 rather minimal and not worth the large price bump (unless you can find a good sale)




They kinda look like a DIY...

 



 


 

If you're producing, you really don't want a headphone that emphasizes the bass (or any other part of the spectrum for that matter) since it will mess up your desired mix levels and you'll be inverted from what you want.

 

The M50 is alright though it has a slight V shape curve, the Pro700 is bassy so would not be as suitable. The Senn HD280 is an industry workhorse, and the Shure 840 is also a good options though it is bass sloped so you'll want to turn down the bass levels slightly



Thank you both kindly! The Sennheiser HD280 seems to have good reviews and the price range is perfect as well. The Shure 840 seem to be a bit above my price range (so is the m50), are they significantly better than the HD280?

Think the 280 will have a good shot to be the choice! even tho I read it is a bit light on the bass... correct? (too light)

 


Edited by RBP901 - 8/19/11 at 10:23am
post #6404 of 29490

forget about the sonys, try the beyerdynamic DT 860, or the Sennheiser HD 598, or the AKG K 272
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravistational View Post

Hey Head-Fi,

 

Brand new to the site, aside from lurking trying to figure out what set of headphones I should get as my first "good" pair.  I thought I had a decent pair of headphones.  My dad bought an extremely discounted pair of ATH-M50s and I always suspected them of being fake since they never really sounded that great.  I bought a 30 dollar headset for gaming and even that sounds better!  I finally put them both to the test last night and the ATH-M50 (fakes) sounded horrible!  Sound muddy, bass is non-existent and they don't get as loud as my Creative HS-800 Fatal1ty Gaming Headset which sounds more clear and the individual instruments and tracks sound more defined.  Aside from that, the cord seems too short for use with a guitar amp, and they really aren't that comfortable after some moderate use, an hour or two say?

 

Point is, I was really crushed to find out what a piece of crap my dad had bought (let alone wasted money on) for what he thought was a bargain, and I want to find a pair that really shines and brings my huge obsession with music to the next level.

 

I'm looking for a closed over the ear pair of headphones.  I've been eying a couple pairs but I'm not sure if they're what I want (I'm really very new to this).  The most I am willing to spend is 200 dollars.  Let's say the range is $100-200.  I listen to a lot of punk (not sure if that's a real popular genre around here).  Not really 70s punk, but more 90s and current stuff like NOFX, Flatliners, Streetlight Manifesto, rock oriented stuff.  Comfort is a huge must!  After moving home for the academic year, sadly I spend a lot of time around my computer.  So they need to be comfy for hours on end, these likely won't come with me on the go.  They're to be stationary headphones.  And even though they aren't moving, I'd like them to have at least some style.

 

Pairs I was eying: ATH-A700, Sony MDR-XD400, some Denon's (but they're out of my price range).

 

I'm really excited about this, and I'm actually going to go to an audio shop later today to see if I can try on a couple nice pairs.  Thanks for the help guys.  normal_smile%20.gif



 

post #6405 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by SennheiserHD View Post

forget about the sonys, try the beyerdynamic DT 860, or the Sennheiser HD 598, or the AKG K 272
 



 



Yea I really like the 598s, I've been eying them as well, but I'm really looking for a set of closed headphones.  Don't want to bother my family, or be bothered by them either.  wink_face.gif

 

I really love these AKG K 272s, they look gorgeous!

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum