or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 417  

post #6241 of 29490

Looking for a portable headphone around $70 that performs well with various rock/metal and mild reggae (Alice Cooper, Clapton, Satriani, Black Sabbath, Radiohead)

 

Ear coupling could be supraaural or circumaural, no IEMs and clip-ons are not preferred.

post #6242 of 29490

Hey Guys. Its been a while since i've been here.

 

I'm looking to get a new set of headphones which don't require an amp. I have a maximum budget of $200 and I should mention that my source would be a nuforce udac (gen1) as well as a sansa clip (gen 1). My current headphones are the JVC RX700.

 

I listen to a broad range of music, but mostly to pop rock/punk, as well acoustic and piano pieces. I also game every now and then, and although these new headphones will be primarily for music, it would be nice if they worked decently for pc gaming as well. Id say around 80% music, 20% gaming.

 

I was reading a lot about the ad700 and the ath m50. And honestly, i'm leaning more toward the m50, but i'm still torn between the too. I'm not sure if i'd miss the sound stage, but the m50 seems to be better sq-wise and they are closed so I can take them places (though thats not a main priority, since i use my ksc75s most of the time). I'm not a bass-head, but I would like some punch in my music.

 

I've also considered the akg 701, and although they are outclass of my previously listed headphones and cost a bit more than $200, but also require good amping from what i've read. However, would that be worth it to stretch my budget to get that set up? Seems like i'd have to spend a good amount more than $200 to be satisfied with an akg k701 setup.

 

So any recommendations for me? I'm open to any other suggestions other from what i've looked up. I'm not sure what the other contenders are, so I may have wasted a  lot of time extensively researching only two headphone, ad700 and m50.

 

Thank you for all the answers.

 

 

post #6243 of 29490

I am once again looking for headphones. I think I will go with the FiiO E7+E9 combo, or something different is there is something much better around this pricepoint (dac/amp), I have also heard of the Hifiman EF2A but don't know how good it is in comparison. So far my list consists of the Sennheiser HD650 which is available at €280, the DT990 available at €140-180 (a price which I find hard to believe, but so far have seen 2 shops offering them at this price, will have to do some research on this), the DT880 available at €230, the ATH-M50 available for €135 and the AKG K701 available for €200.

 

Of course the lower pricepoint of the DT990 and the ATH-M50 do appeal to me as the total price for the headphones and the amp/dac does not exceed €350.

 

I like to listen to Pink Floyd, Faithless, Muse, Arctic Monkeys, John Mayer, various Jazz artists, U2, Wolfmother, Armin van Buuren, Metallica and Bob Marley. This is just a small sample of my collection but it does show the diversity of genres which I listen to I believe.

Which of these headphones would you recommend me? And are there any other headphones in this price range (preferably closer to the 150-230 price range) which I should take a look at?  

 

EDIT: I have found out why the price differed so much from the beyerdynamic site, the €150 DT990 is the older PRO version, the newest DT990 is €250. Is there a lot of difference between these two headphones?


Edited by maxietheboss - 8/15/11 at 9:27am
post #6244 of 29490

G'day everyone!

 

I humbly request your services to help me choose a nice studio headphone for mixing.

I know about the limitations of headphones when mixing - I am used to working on a pair of nice 8" monitors but I cannot bring them with me, since I'll be moving to a different country for a year. Therefore, I am mainly looking for linearity and clarity.

I am not keen to spend more than 200 € if I can help it.

 

For now, there are the ones I am looking at, ordered by pricetag:

 

KRK KNS 8400 (144 €)

AKG K-271 MKII (145 €)

SHURE SRH 840  (156 €)

AKG K-701 (199 €)

BEYERDYNAMIC DT-880 PRO (215 €)

SHURE SRH 940  (249 €)

 

My favorite for now is the DT 880 Pro but thats the only one I had the chance to listen to myself. I will go and check out the others tomorrow.

Cheers

post #6245 of 29490


A sharp sound... Does that imply a lot of treble? I'm a bit of a noob here, but when it comes to listening to music on headphones or the crappy free ipod earpieces I have now, I always put the bass on max and the treble as low as possible (on the ipod). I cannot stand a lot of trebble when the music is so close on my ears.

 

But the MDR 7506 can produce a good hard bass?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

The V6 is a fine headphone. Nice sharp sound, very durable and folds up into tiny package for portability. My only gripe is that it has such a large flat pad that sits on the ear. I actually had an old pair with all the inner stitching ripped, which made the pad semi circumaural and I thought it was much more comfortable than stock.



 

 

post #6246 of 29490
Can someone point me to a newbie section so I can get acquainted with what equipment I need etc?
post #6247 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentbob78 View Post

I have been browsing this forum for the last couple of weeks. Reading 100+ pages of this thread and numerous other threads. I have seen a lot of people asking for music/gaming headphones in the 100$ category, which is also around my budget. More often than not, the helpful users of this forum, suggest the ATH-AD700 or ATH-M50. The problem is I live in Denmark and apparently headphones are way more expensive in my country. The ATH-M50 is around 220$ and the ATH-AD700 basically the same. 

 

So finally I have decided to ask instead of keep looking around this forum for a post/thread that fit my needs. Currently I´m using the Gamecom 777. However I have decided to drop gaming headsets and go for separate headphone and mic. Hoping to improve the sound quality. 

 

Due to English not being my native language and a serious lack of technical knowledge about this subject, I´m finding it really hard to describe which sound I´m looking for. But I think the best words to describe it, is a balanced full sound. Not to detailed to reveal their own shortcomings, if that makes any sense.  

 

Budget: Around 100$ (600 danish kroner).

 

Use: Rough estimate 85% gaming/15% music.

 

Gaming is almost exclusively MMORPG combined with a little strategy and FPS. So directional accuracy and other similar needs for competitive FPS gamers is not a preference. I´m just looking for something to make the sound experience of MMORPG more immerse and enjoyable.

 

Music is just your garden variety run of the mill rock and pop. Examples: Kings of Leon, Mumford and Sons, Adele, Red Hot Chili Peppers.

 

Source: Exclusively my PC with a "Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Music"-sound card.

 

Closed/open: No preferences. 

 

Possible models: Looking at the marked in Denmark for models within my price range, this is what I could find:

 

 - Sennheiser HD 448

 - Sennheiser HD 215 II

 - Sennheiser 212 Pro

 - Sony MDR XB700

 - Audio Technica ATH-M30/ATH-M35

 - Sennheiser HD 238

 - Sony MDR NC7

 

Alternatives are more than welcome.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

 

Out of those available, my vote goes to the HD448 in terms of sound and value.

 

I made my initial post from my little brothers laptop while we where on vacation and have not had a change to respond before now.

 

First of, thank you very much for the fast feedback. I was going to order the HD 448 today. However, apparently there are only two online shops in Denmark who has them in my price range. Maybe some parallel import, as they are considerable cheaper than the rest of the marked. One of those (The one I was going to order from) has just increased their price with about 40$ and the last has a poor rating.

 

So today I ventured to the only Hifi shop in my town where I trust there advise. They gave me an alternative, an that is the Denon AH-D510. How is that compared to the Sennheiser HD 448?

 

If Sennheiser is still the best option, I´m going to take my chance an order from the shop with the poor rating.
 

 

post #6248 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyon View Post


Thanks. I've already ruled out D2000/D5000. The bass is just not for me. Have not heard D7000 and it's so expensive. The measurements do not really instill confidence either, but neither do the W5000 ones and it's ok for what I want.

 

T50RP w/ mods sound like an idea. However, no time for modding now and no TPs up for sale that I can find of.

 

I'm actually very intrigued by the new T70P. Been tested and measured quite well. Have to wait till it's available for listening.

 

Buying closed circumaurals is always challenging and this hobby is not friendly to one's wallet :)

 

 

 


Other random suggestions:

Shure 940

Beyer DT1350

Pioneer HDJ2000

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudos View Post

Looking for a portable headphone around $70 that performs well with various rock/metal and mild reggae (Alice Cooper, Clapton, Satriani, Black Sabbath, Radiohead)

 

Ear coupling could be supraaural or circumaural, no IEMs and clip-ons are not preferred.


Senn PX200-ii

Shure 440

Sony V6/7506

 

The Senn and Shure are a tiny bit above your budget according to current Amazon prices, but I've seen them drop below.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalAura View Post

Hey Guys. Its been a while since i've been here.

 

I'm looking to get a new set of headphones which don't require an amp. I have a maximum budget of $200 and I should mention that my source would be a nuforce udac (gen1) as well as a sansa clip (gen 1). My current headphones are the JVC RX700.

 

I listen to a broad range of music, but mostly to pop rock/punk, as well acoustic and piano pieces. I also game every now and then, and although these new headphones will be primarily for music, it would be nice if they worked decently for pc gaming as well. Id say around 80% music, 20% gaming.

 

I was reading a lot about the ad700 and the ath m50. And honestly, i'm leaning more toward the m50, but i'm still torn between the too. I'm not sure if i'd miss the sound stage, but the m50 seems to be better sq-wise and they are closed so I can take them places (though thats not a main priority, since i use my ksc75s most of the time). I'm not a bass-head, but I would like some punch in my music.

 

I've also considered the akg 701, and although they are outclass of my previously listed headphones and cost a bit more than $200, but also require good amping from what i've read. However, would that be worth it to stretch my budget to get that set up? Seems like i'd have to spend a good amount more than $200 to be satisfied with an akg k701 setup.

 

So any recommendations for me? I'm open to any other suggestions other from what i've looked up. I'm not sure what the other contenders are, so I may have wasted a  lot of time extensively researching only two headphone, ad700 and m50.

 

Thank you for all the answers.

 

 


Normally I tell people to spend conservatively, but heck with it, go nuts. You can find the K701 used for $200 and amp it with a home receiver (pick one up at a garage sale for $20). It does just fine with the udac if you don't want anything bigger. I've got a friend who uses that exact combo for mixing and production.

 

It pairs extremely well with acoustic and piano, and should handle your punk just fine. Positional cues for gaming are also top notch.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by maxietheboss View Post

I am once again looking for headphones. I think I will go with the FiiO E7+E9 combo, or something different is there is something much better around this pricepoint (dac/amp). So far my list consists of the Sennheiser HD650 which is available at €280, the DT990 available at €140-180 (a price which I find hard to believe, but so far have seen 2 shops offering them at this price, will have to do some research on this), the DT880 available at €230, the ATH-M50 available for €135 and the AKG K701 available for €200.

 

Of course the lower pricepoint of the DT990 and the ATH-M50 do appeal to me as the total price for the headphones and the amp/dac does not exceed €350.

 

I like to listen to Pink Floyd, Faithless, Muse, Arctic Monkeys, John Mayer, various Jazz artists, U2, Wolfmother, Armin van Buuren, Metallica and Bob Marley. This is just a small sample of my collection but it does show the diversity of genres which I listen to I believe.

Which of these headphones would you recommend me? And are there any other headphones in this price range (preferably closer to the 150-230 price range) which I should take a look at?  


The Beyer price differences could be attributed to the pro vs premium version. The pro version just has more clamp, and the premium has a nicer shell. Soundwise, I have not heard a difference.

 

The e7/e9 combo offers a lot at its price point. If you don't need the portability offered by the e7, you could look at just a standalone desktop dac/amp.

 

I do not really consider the Beyers great all-rounders, though others will disagree. If I had to pick one of them, I would go with the DT880 (also available in "pro" model if you're looking for a lower price).

 

The M50 is not worth it at that price.

 

K701 is good unless you want heavier bass. It delivers crisp bass, but lacks the warm rumble that most people look for.

 

Would you consider the cheaper HD600? I did not hear a significant difference between them, and the 600 is much cheaper. I find the Senns to be very good all-rounders.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by 100db View Post

G'day everyone!

 

I humbly request your services to help me choose a nice studio headphone for mixing.

I know about the limitations of headphones when mixing - I am used to working on a pair of nice 8" monitors but I cannot bring them with me, since I'll be moving to a different country for a year. Therefore, I am mainly looking for linearity and clarity.

I am not keen to spend more than 200 € if I can help it.

 

For now, there are the ones I am looking at, ordered by pricetag:

 

KRK KNS 8400 (144 €)

AKG K-271 MKII (145 €)

SHURE SRH 840  (156 €)

AKG K-701 (199 €)

BEYERDYNAMIC DT-880 PRO (215 €)

SHURE SRH 940  (249 €)

 

My favorite for now is the DT 880 Pro but thats the only one I had the chance to listen to myself. I will go and check out the others tomorrow.

Cheers

 

My vote goes to the K701.
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Guoy View Post


A sharp sound... Does that imply a lot of treble? I'm a bit of a noob here, but when it comes to listening to music on headphones or the crappy free ipod earpieces I have now, I always put the bass on max and the treble as low as possible (on the ipod). I cannot stand a lot of trebble when the music is so close on my ears.

 

But the MDR 7506 can produce a good hard bass?
 


It can, but it also has a fair bit of treble to it. If you're looking for something bass sloped, M-Audio Q40 and Phiaton MS400 are good.

 

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncical View Post

Can someone point me to a newbie section so I can get acquainted with what equipment I need etc?


There isn't one. Just sit and read and try not to overload. Also take most reviews with a grain of salt. Big words does not necessarily mean a substantive review. There are a lot of people who parrot recommendations without ever having heard the equipment themselves.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentbob78 View Post

I made my initial post from my little brothers laptop while we where on vacation and have not had a change to respond before now.

 

First of, thank you very much for the fast feedback. I was going to order the HD 448 today. However, apparently there are only two online shops in Denmark who has them in my price range. Maybe some parallel import, as they are considerable cheaper than the rest of the marked. One of those (The one I was going to order from) has just increased their price with about 40$ and the last has a poor rating.

 

So today I ventured to the only Hifi shop in my town where I trust there advise. They gave me an alternative, an that is the Denon AH-D510. How is that compared to the Sennheiser HD 448?

 

If Sennheiser is still the best option, I´m going to take my chance an order from the shop with the poor rating.
 

 

 

I don't know anything about the D510, but here's the first review I found of it: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/538180/denon-ah-d510

 

I honestly wasn't overly impressed by the HD448, I simply picked it as best of your presented options.


 

 

post #6249 of 29490
What about the gear rankings in the head gear section? Is that a list that members made?
post #6250 of 29490

I've been "lurking" around here for about the past two weeks gathering information on which headphone to buy, 'til I ran across this thread.

 

Budget: Around $200.00

 

Use: 85% Music/15% gaming 

 

I literally listen to music all day at work and have been looking to  dip into the higher end headphone. I mainly listen to Rock/Punk genre of music - Set Your Goals, Four Years Strong, The Wonder Years, A Day to Remember, Riverboat Gamblers, Rise Against, Close Your Eyes, etc.

 

 

Source: I'll mainly be listening to it from my cell phone[HTC Inspire], iPod, or Macbook Pro

 

Closed/open: No preferences - they MUST be comfortable though, since the majority of my day is spent with headphones on.

 

I appreciate any and all advice.

post #6251 of 29490

I came away from a meet even more undecided, I was recommended the HD-25s for Metal as a closed phone (haven't tried them yet) but i tried and loved the Ultrasone 780, Denon D2000 and then i hear a lot of good things about the Shure 940s, if only there was a way to try them all blink.gif These would be my main closed phones and that will be that, i may get a nice amp/dac but i have to stop spending on headphones, sheesh!

post #6252 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncical View Post

What about the gear rankings in the head gear section? Is that a list that members made?


Those sections of the site are really incomplete. 

 

Is there anything in particular that you're looking for?

 

General advice here is to not get carried away with all the toys.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOMPCHOMPUF View Post

I've been "lurking" around here for about the past two weeks gathering information on which headphone to buy, 'til I ran across this thread.

 

Budget: Around $200.00

 

Use: 85% Music/15% gaming 

 

I literally listen to music all day at work and have been looking to  dip into the higher end headphone. I mainly listen to Rock/Punk genre of music - Set Your Goals, Four Years Strong, The Wonder Years, A Day to Remember, Riverboat Gamblers, Rise Against, Close Your Eyes, etc.

 

 

Source: I'll mainly be listening to it from my cell phone[HTC Inspire], iPod, or Macbook Pro

 

Closed/open: No preferences - they MUST be comfortable though, since the majority of my day is spent with headphones on.

 

I appreciate any and all advice.


The most comfortable headphones I've ever worn:

B&W P5

Phiaton PS 500

Denon D2000

any of the full sized winged Audio Technicas 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrozombie View Post

I came away from a meet even more undecided, I was recommended the HD-25s for Metal as a closed phone (haven't tried them yet) but i tried and loved the Ultrasone 780, Denon D2000 and then i hear a lot of good things about the Shure 940s, if only there was a way to try them all blink.gif These would be my main closed phones and that will be that, i may get a nice amp/dac but i have to stop spending on headphones, sheesh!


Check your local music stores. They very likely have an HD25-1-ii that you can try out, and probably a 940 and Beyers as well. 

 

post #6253 of 29490

Hi there, I'm a newbie here (or almost, posted here a while ago), and I'm asking for your help (who doesn't?).

 

I'm having a hard time deciding on which headphones to buy. The ones I'm considering are:

 

Sennheiser HD 558/598

AKG K601/K701

Beyerdynamic DT 770

 

I'm from the far, far away (Canary Islands), so prices don't really matter here (I'm buying online wherever I trust more, thomman or a Spaniard website).

 

Which ones would you recommend for Rock and "soft" Heavy music? A bit of Metal too (Metallica lover but nothing else right now). I'm not that much of a bass lover (Beats by Dr. Dre sound awful in my modest opinion), but I like noticing it a bit.

 

For the matter, I've already got Sennheiser IE8 IEM's (which sound great but a bit too bassy) and Senn RS 180 (which lack a bit of bass for my taste).

 

Also, I'll be using those with a PC most of the time. Gaming and video/sound editing are other tasks I'll do with them but aren't as important as music itself.About the soundcard, I still haven't bought any. I'm on a budget, so it'd be better if "the chosen one" would fit with an Asus Xonar D1, but if really necessary, I'd buy an Essence ST.

 

Excuse me for my English BTW.

 

Thanks for your help. Please don't make my wallet hate me, I'm a "conformist audiophile" (if that even exists).

post #6254 of 29490

Ray - have you looked at Joker's headphones comparison guide? And why such expensive phones with a cheap card? As Joker says, Koss Portapros and Superlux 668Bs are very good - and would leave you money to buy a USB dac/amp.


Edited by scuttle - 8/15/11 at 4:48pm
post #6255 of 29490

Editing as well then.

 

Nope, I haven't read it. Looking for the post right now. Thanks for that first piece of advice (I'll be back, for sure).


Edited by Raysito22 - 8/15/11 at 4:56pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum