or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 391  

post #5851 of 29490

Hey guys,

 

I got my ATH-M50 a week ago, upgraded from 20 € IEM. I of course love them, but i would rather like something more portable, so I was thinking on switching back to IEM or get a pair besides the M50. The ATH-M50 also drain my Galaxy S i9000 way too fast.

I don't want to miss the High quality of the M50, but i think I prefer the sound(stage) of IEM over Headphones. Important for me is, that they have a good isolation, because i will mainly listen to them in the bus. Also they should not be too analytic/sharp(RE0?) since i just wanna enjoy my music on the go. My favorite is the M3 atm, because i heard they sound really enjoyable and i LOVE the design and i get them easily in EU. If the other IEM's outperform the M3 i would rather take them though.

I thought about getting one of these:

 

| Brainwavz M3 | Brainwavz M2 | Head-Direct RE0 | Sunrise SW-Xcape |

 

Now i got two Questions:

1. Are these IEM's enough quality wise to actually replace the ATH-M50? In this case i would sell them and buy 2 IEM's instead.

2. Which IEM's should I take for unamped Galaxy S i9000?

 

Thank you in advance :)

post #5852 of 29490

I'm getting some HDJ500's, but not sure on how good they'll perform. Has anyone else here pulled the trigger on them and can tell me a bit of what to expect? I'm coming from some Altec backbeat 326's. Or am I just a solo wing here?

post #5853 of 29490

So I sent my old Senn HD-590s in for repair and they basically refused to repair them for the nominal rate due to (according to Sennheiser) them being obsolete and parts being unavailable.  Not sure I really buy that as they immediately tried to get me to purchase a set of 595s or 598s for "half price", which wound up actually being more than they were selling for on Amazon.  Classy.  I really liked the sound of the 590s, but honestly they're the only pair of good headphone I've ever owned so I really don't have a basis for comparison.

 

Anyway, since it looks like I'm not going to be able to get them repaired, I'm in the market for replacements in the $150-$225 range.  I'll be hooking them up to an Onkyo TX-NR609 when in the living room and a PreSonus FireBox that doubles as my headphone amp (tube-based Firewire device) when on the computer. Portability is not important. I generally listen to a lot of pop, indie rock, electronic, and hip-hop. I do enjoy punchy bass response, but what's most important to me is accuracy and faithful reproduction. Ideally, I'd like a mostly neutral/accurate set with a hint of extra warmth. I have a lot of HD audio media (24-bit, 96-192Khz FLACs).

 

So far these are the ones I'm looking at:

 

Audio Technica ATH-A900 Audiophile Closed-Back Dynamic Headphones

Sennheiser HD595 Dynamic High Grade Performance Premiere Headphones

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphones

Grado Prestige Series SR225i Headphones

 

Pricing within the range I specified isn't a concern.  I just want what will sound the best without going over the maximum amount I set for my budget.  Please let me know if you have any other suggestions or, if not, which of these choices would be best for my described listening environment/habits.

 

Thanks!


Edited by Prospero424 - 8/5/11 at 6:26pm
post #5854 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by drugcpp View Post

Armaegis, here is a list of some:

Koss PortaPro $60

Sony MDRXD100 $25 (owned them for 2 years, where pretty comfort)

Sennheiser HD205 $70 (tried them and sold them, heat the ears and presses to much)

Sony MDR V-700 $130 (own them now, not satisfied. after 40 mins my ears hurt)

Sennheiser HD201 $30

Bose on ear $190

AKG K518 $110 (I've read that they press on the head too much, so I'm suspicious about them)

AKG K403 $50

Sennheiser HD515 $140

philips SHP1900 $40

philips SHM7110U $60

philips SHL9560 $65

Platronics USB Audio 995 $100

Sennheiser PX100 $70

Hesh Skullcandy $100

Sennheiser HD215 $130

Grado SR60 $110

Sennheiser PX200 $100

RPDH1200 Technics $170

Sennheiser HD202 $65

SportaPro koss $60

Sennheiser HD428 $115

Sennheiser HD25 $235

Sennheiser HD218 $60

Sennheiser HD203 $70

Grado SR80 $140

AKG K420 $100

AKG K512 $70

AKG K450 $140

AKG K430  $130

AKG K240 $170

Aurvana live creative $170

HQ1400 creative $50

 

I don't want any of them in particular, just picked some to give you a feel about prices here. Heard today from a friend that PortaPro are very comfy... And my budget is around $150.

 

 

 

I'm not a huge fan of the porta pros, and they're not really worth it at that price.


If the PX100 is the ii version, that's actually pretty good. 

 

The AKG K240 is decent at that price. 
 

The K518 has a lot of clamp. Great isolation, but not much for comfort (the K181 is nicer here because it spreads the pressure out more)

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchapdaily View Post

de-foamed them the day i got themsmily_headphones1.gif but i was afraid the 600/650 would sound too similar...i like the way my 555's sound but im not in love with it. i feel like the bass could extend lower and be more detailed and the mids and highs could be more detailed and maybe warmer. plus some more soundstage couldnt hurt. 

 

i would love the k701 if they had more bass. while i listen to lots of acoustic stuff, i also listen to metal and indie stuff that just wont sound good with lacking bass.

 

that takes me to the dt880 which ive been told have better bass and great highs, but recessed mids which isnt good for my acoustic stuff frown.gif

 

can you guys confirm/deny? this is all based on what ive read. i dont really have any way of trying any cans out.

im leaning towards the akg's...could i use eq to bring the bass out?

 

i dont really want to buy any more senns right now, what should i get?

 


Out of the DT770/880/990 family, I feel the 880 is the most balanced and sounds nice out of a tube amp. The Denons might also be worth considering. While not typically well known for detail, they have great bass extension and a lovely warm sound to them. 

 

post #5855 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post


Out of the DT770/880/990 family, I feel the 880 is the most balanced and sounds nice out of a tube amp. The Denons might also be worth considering. While not typically well known for detail, they have great bass extension and a lovely warm sound to them. 

 



which denons? the D2000? 

 

thats another thing that im a little worried about with the 701's i feel like their detail may take away from actually enjoying the music. i want cans that have musicality and detalsmily_headphones1.gif

i think i really need to find a place to go audition some of these headphones before i can make a real decision...

post #5856 of 29490


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakushiki View Post

I'm getting some HDJ500's, but not sure on how good they'll perform. Has anyone else here pulled the trigger on them and can tell me a bit of what to expect? I'm coming from some Altec backbeat 326's. Or am I just a solo wing here?


I consider them good for the price. There's lot of competition in that price bracket though, so it's worth poking around and checking out their options. I have the big brother HDJ-2000 and think it's fantastic. 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospero424 View Post

So I sent my old Senn HD-590s in for repair and they basically refused to repair them for the nominal rate due to (according to Sennheiser) them being obsolete and parts being unavailable.  Not sure I really buy that as they immediately tried to get me to purchase a set of 595s or 598s for "half price", which wound up actually being more than they were selling for on Amazon.  Classy.  I really liked the sound of the 590s, but honestly they're the only pair of good headphone I've ever owned so I really don't have a basis for comparison.

 

Anyway, since it looks like I'm not going to be able to get them repaired, I'm in the market for replacements in the $150-$225 range.  I'll be hooking them up to an Onkyo TX-NR609 when in the living room and a PreSonus FireBox that doubles as my headphone amp (tube-based Firewire device) when on the computer. Portability is not important. I generally listen to a lot of pop, indie rock, electronic, and hip-hop. I do enjoy punchy bass response, but what's most important to me is accuracy and faithful reproduction. Ideally, I'd like a mostly neutral/accurate set with a hint of extra warmth. I have a lot of HD audio media (24-bit, 96-192Khz FLACs).

 

So far these are the ones I'm looking at:

 

Audio Technica ATH-A900 Audiophile Closed-Back Dynamic Headphones

Sennheiser HD595 Dynamic High Grade Performance Premiere Headphones

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphones

 

Pricing within the range I specified isn't a concern.  I just want what will sound the best without going over the maximum amount I set for my budget.  Please let me know if you have any other suggestions or, if not, which of these choices would be best for my described listening environment/habits.

 

Thanks!


Actually below your budget, but how about a Fostex T50rp?

 

post #5857 of 29490

I think the ATH-M50 sound better then the Sennheiser HD 595. But you should also have a look at Beyerdynamics 770/880/990.

 

As far as i've heard, noone was really disappointed by the ATH-M50, and they are getting praised for their neutral sound and accuracy alot,

so they will most likely fit your needs pretty good :).

 

EDIT: seems like evryone kinda stepped over my thread... This thread doesn't work too well with many people asking at the same time. Well i'll wait some more


Edited by Danchou - 8/5/11 at 6:30pm
post #5858 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchapdaily View Post





which denons? the D2000? 

 

thats another thing that im a little worried about with the 701's i feel like their detail may take away from actually enjoying the music. i want cans that have musicality and detalsmily_headphones1.gif

i think i really need to find a place to go audition some of these headphones before i can make a real decision...


The D2000 would be closest to budget. The D5000/7000 go up rather quickly. 

 

post #5859 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

Actually below your budget, but how about a Fostex T50rp?

 


 

Never heard of them.  How do they compare to those models I mentioned above?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Danchou View Post

I think the ATH-M50 sound better then the Sennheiser HD 595. But you should also have a look at Beyerdynamics 770/880/990.

 

As far as i've heard, noone was really disappointed by the ATH-M50, and they are getting praised for their neutral sound and accuracy alot,

so they will most likely fit your needs pretty good :).

 

EDIT: seems like evryone kinda stepped over my thread... This thread doesn't work too well with many people asking at the same time. Well i'll wait some more



Thanks!  I was taking a hard look at the Beyers, but many reviews are saying they're more focused on bass than accuracy and warmth.  They do look awfully comfy. And yeah, the ATH-M50 is what I'm leaning towards at the moment.  I just wanted to get some more input.

post #5860 of 29490

Look at this:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more#post_6938759

 

Beyerdynamics are idiots for releasing so many different headphones with the same model number...

 

as far as i understood, there are three models for 770, 880 and 990... Each 3 or 4 different sounding headphones. just idiocracy :P

post #5861 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospero424 View Post




 

Never heard of them.  How do they compare to those models I mentioned above?





Thanks!  I was taking a hard look at the Beyers, but many reviews are saying they're more focused on bass than accuracy and warmth.  They do look awfully comfy. And yeah, the ATH-M50 is what I'm leaning towards at the moment.  I just wanted to get some more input.


The Fostex are excellent headphones once you give them a bit more power. Flat frequency response, punchy bass and also detailed highs but don't lose out on the mids. They are also a forum favourite for modding, and there are several threads here dedicated to them. Even just a bit of poster putty and felt will bring them up considerably, and it really doesn't take more than a half hour of work to do.

 

The Beyers are quite comfortable, but do tend to feel U shaped in frequency response with their strong bass and treble

post #5862 of 29490

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospero424 View Post

So I sent my old Senn HD-590s in for repair and they basically refused to repair them for the nominal rate due to (according to Sennheiser) them being obsolete and parts being unavailable.  Not sure I really buy that as they immediately tried to get me to purchase a set of 595s or 598s for "half price", which wound up actually being more than they were selling for on Amazon.  Classy.  I really liked the sound of the 590s, but honestly they're the only pair of good headphone I've ever owned so I really don't have a basis for comparison.

 

Anyway, since it looks like I'm not going to be able to get them repaired, I'm in the market for replacements in the $150-$225 range.  I'll be hooking them up to an Onkyo TX-NR609 when in the living room and a PreSonus FireBox that doubles as my headphone amp (tube-based Firewire device) when on the computer. Portability is not important. I generally listen to a lot of pop, indie rock, electronic, and hip-hop. I do enjoy punchy bass response, but what's most important to me is accuracy and faithful reproduction. Ideally, I'd like a mostly neutral/accurate set with a hint of extra warmth. I have a lot of HD audio media (24-bit, 96-192Khz FLACs).

 

So far these are the ones I'm looking at:

 

Audio Technica ATH-A900 Audiophile Closed-Back Dynamic Headphones

Sennheiser HD595 Dynamic High Grade Performance Premiere Headphones

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphones

Grado Prestige Series SR225i Headphones

 

Pricing within the range I specified isn't a concern.  I just want what will sound the best without going over the maximum amount I set for my budget.  Please let me know if you have any other suggestions or, if not, which of these choices would be best for my described listening environment/habits.

 

Thanks!


Shure SRH-940
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by kchapdaily View Post


de-foamed them the day i got themsmily_headphones1.gif but i was afraid the 600/650 would sound too similar...i like the way my 555's sound but im not in love with it. i feel like the bass could extend lower and be more detailed and the mids and highs could be more detailed and maybe warmer. plus some more soundstage couldnt hurt. 

 

i would love the k701 if they had more bass. while i listen to lots of acoustic stuff, i also listen to metal and indie stuff that just wont sound good with lacking bass.

 

that takes me to the dt880 which ive been told have better bass and great highs, but recessed mids which isnt good for my acoustic stuff frown.gif

 

can you guys confirm/deny? this is all based on what ive read. i dont really have any way of trying any cans out.

im leaning towards the akg's...could i use eq to bring the bass out?

 

i dont really want to buy any more senns right now, what should i get?

 

 


I heard the Matrix M-Stage amp improves the k701 a lot, if you can afford both of them.
 

 

post #5863 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post




The Fostex are excellent headphones once you give them a bit more power. Flat frequency response, punchy bass and also detailed highs but don't lose out on the mids. They are also a forum favourite for modding, and there are several threads here dedicated to them. Even just a bit of poster putty and felt will bring them up considerably, and it really doesn't take more than a half hour of work to do.


If you took price completely out of the equation, which would you pick: the Fostex or the ATH-M50?


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

Shure SRH-940



Thanks!  But those are about $75 out of my price range.

post #5864 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post


 


I consider them good for the price. There's lot of competition in that price bracket though, so it's worth poking around and checking out their options. I have the big brother HDJ-2000 and think it's fantastic. 

 




Actually below your budget, but how about a Fostex T50rp?

 



Thanks! I was concerned also about its construction, as it appears to be plastic but just found out the core is actually magnesium alloy. Sounds like they'll serve me well, as long as I don't take'm into minus degree weather!

post #5865 of 29490

Fostex T50RP is probably way better than M50, haven't heard the M50 though.

 

Fostex aren't about price.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum