or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 378  

post #5656 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1008 View Post

*(would live audience recordings even be listenable with a quality pair of headphones?).

 

So far I have been looking at the Shure SRH840, Grado SR80i's, and the **Senn HD595 but I would like some more info (mainly how they will preform without an amp). And a recommendation on a ***good starter desktop headphone amp would also be much appreciated.

 

Also a little off topic but if you could help that would be amazing, I recently found a old turn table (technics SL-BD20) and I was wondering what would be the cheapest way to listen to vinyl would be. ****Could i just buy a phono pre amp and plug that into a headphone amp? 


*Yes, most definitely!  Listening to live music is one of the best aspects of having a quality pair of headphones!

 

**Skip the HD595, everything Sennheiser makes below the HD600 is weak, imho.

 

***Yulong U100
 

****Yes you can plug the vinyl directly into the headphone amp, or put a phono pre-amp inbetween.

 

 

post #5657 of 29490

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubScriptZero View Post

Hi,

 

I'm looking to get my a set of nice over ear headphones.

I listen to mostly Rock/Metal/Punk music, and am stuck on which to get.

 

I was considering the Dr Dre Studios (Tried them in BestBuy and was impressed), however having done a bit of reading, I realize that they are not made for the type of music I listen to.

 

So, I'm mostly wondering which of these two is better, they seem to be priced nearly the same, however i cannot find a comparison between the two and don't know enough of the technical side to make an informed decision. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

 

I'm currently deciding between; Sennheiser PXC 450 Vs HD598

 

Which of the two is better?


I tried the Dr Dre Studios at BestBuy too.... and was impressed.... but they aren't good for the asking price, they are way overpriced, it's just marketing.

 

If you're willing to spend that much, you have a lot of good options and should do your research on what headphones are the best for Rock/Metal/Punk.

 

Check out the Shure SRH-940, and the Audio Technica AD1000, you won't be dissappointed.

 


 

 

post #5658 of 29490


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post




*Yes, most definitely!  Listening to live music is one of the best aspects of having a quality pair of headphones!

 

**Skip the HD595, everything Sennheiser makes below the HD600 is weak, imho.

 

***Yulong U100
 

****Yes you can plug the vinyl directly into the headphone amp, or put a phono pre-amp inbetween.

 

 



*That is exactly what I wanted to hear! Didn't really expect it though, I figured there was poorer sound quality with live recordings? 

 

**Those where probably my last choice anyway, the ones i'm really thinking about where the SRH 840's

 

***Thank you so much! I just looked really quick and that seems to be just what i'm looking for! I have a little time to do research still though haha

 

****There is enough power coming out of the TT to plug it right into the headphone amp? Thats great! All i found online was people hooking up TT's to speakers and everyone said you need a phono stage on your receiver or a phono amp, I didn't find anyone using a headphone amp

 

Thank you so much!

post #5659 of 29490

 

Hi everyone. I've enjoyed the forum & it's incredible community for some time now and can finally enter the foray of higher-end audio. Recently some deals have come my way on the following pieces so I'm stuck trying to choose between them. Suggestions on any other cans are of course welcome as well.

 

Deals:

 

-BeyerDynamic T1's, slightly used by a friend, for $800

 

-Sony MDR-CD3000, found here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/564542/headphones-sony-mdr-cd3000-woodied-akg-k340-woodied-and-koss-ksc-35

 

-Audio Technica ATH-W5000, also slightly used by a friend, for $500

 

I'm aware that these cans have many intrinsic differences and that "better" is highly subjective, just looking for some general opinions really. It may be worth noting I haven't purchased a serious, relevant amp yet, so "matching" doesn't have to be taken into consideration. Amp budget is about $600 & am open to suggestions in that arena as well, though I realize amps aren't pertinent for this thread. Thanks very much guys, your input is appreciated!

post #5660 of 29490

Hello I'm on the lookout for a new pair of closed back headphones. I currently own a pair of ATH M50 but want to try something different.

My price range is around 100 - 200 dollars. I have been looking into these: Shure srh840, ultrasone hifi580 and beyerdinamic dt660. I woud appreciate any imput on how do these compare to the m50's. Any other suggestions would also be appreciated.

I will be listening mainly to metal, trance and rock on them and will be driving them form my ipod.

Cheers!

post #5661 of 29490

 

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 515s. The side plastic is starting to crack, and I haven't been very happy with the build quality in general anyway, so I'm looking for a change.

I'd prefer to stay with over-ear models, and I'd like them to be as portable as possible; I almost never listen to music when I'm out and about because the 515s aren't at all portable enough and I can't stand wearing any buds. I'd really like to be able to take this new pair with me and not have to worry about carrying around these massive things for hours at a time.

Budget is in the $100-150 range. Thanks, all!

 

post #5662 of 29490

Aaaarrgghhh....

 

I still can't decide. I can a new set of HD600's for about the same price as the Dr Dre Beats Studios, however apparently they sound awful without an amp, and i dont have the money to buy an amp at the moment.

 

I also decided that i didnt like the HD598 style, Im not super keen on the PXC450 style and do prefer the look of the Dr Dre Studios, however I'm still not sure.

 

I will want whatever i get to be good for travelling, as I do travel quite alot (Planes/Trains mostly). So thats why, although the excellent value for money, Im leaning away from the HD600's. The Beats dont seem to be too bad for travelling on planes etc as they do leak sound, but it wont really be heard over plane engine noise. 

 

If the PXC 450's looked like the HD595/598/600's I would have already ordered a set, however they are just butt ugly imo

 

If it helps mostly Ill be playing music from my Ipad 2, Ipod touch 2nd Gen and Alienware M14x.

Currently I use Astro A30's, Sharkoon X-Tatic V3's and Sony DR-EX300IP.

 

Max Budget it $300, but would prefer to spend nearer $250...

post #5663 of 29490

Also looking for a can around $100~$150. Preferably closed. :)

Almost decided on the M50 or the SRH440, but still looking for opinions.

Thank you!

post #5664 of 29490

Thanks to the information in this thread I went out and bought some Audio Technica ATH-ESW9s and couldn't be happier. 

post #5665 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1008 View Post

Hey Head-fi!

 

So i'm new to the hi fi audio world and have no clue where to start haha. I'm looking for a pair of over-the-ear headphones for ~150, but an willing to pay a little bit more if there is something a lot better. I would prefer closed cans but not necessary at all. I mainly listen to, Grateful Dead, other Jam bands, all kinds of rock, metal, and some techno. Very little rap/ hip hop so bass isn't too important. I will be using my Iphone/macbook as the source and will not be using a headphone amp (just yet at least, I hope to buy one eventually). All of my audio files are mp3's but i will be trying to buy more cd's/ downloading lossless files but I also don't want the music I have already to sound like crap. I also listen to a lot of music off of http://www.archive.org/details/audio mostly for live dead shows and some other jam bands (would live audience recordings even be listenable with a quality pair of headphones?).

 

So far I have been looking at the Shure SRH840, Grado SR80i's, and the Senn HD595 but I would like some more info (mainly how they will preform without an amp). And a recommendation on a good starter desktop headphone amp would also be much appreciated.

 

Also a little off topic but if you could help that would be amazing, I recently found a old turn table (technics SL-BD20) and I was wondering what would be the cheapest way to listen to vinyl would be. Could i just buy a phono pre amp and plug that into a headphone amp? 

 

The Shure 840 is a solid choice for many genres.

 

The cheapest option is just to get a receiver with phono input and headphone jack. Check out local garage sales and pick something up for cheap.
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by SubScriptZero View Post

Hi,

 

I'm looking to get my a set of nice over ear headphones.

I listen to mostly Rock/Metal/Punk music, and am stuck on which to get.

 

I was considering the Dr Dre Studios (Tried them in BestBuy and was impressed), however having done a bit of reading, I realize that they are not made for the type of music I listen to.

 

So, I'm mostly wondering which of these two is better, they seem to be priced nearly the same, however i cannot find a comparison between the two and don't know enough of the technical side to make an informed decision. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

 

I'm currently deciding between; Sennheiser PXC 450 Vs HD598

 

Which of the two is better?


Do you need the noise cancellation? Otherwise the HD380 is the same (I think) as the PXC450 without the added cost of the ANC circuitry. After that, it becomes a choice of open vs closed.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by why sleep View Post

 

Hi everyone. I've enjoyed the forum & it's incredible community for some time now and can finally enter the foray of higher-end audio. Recently some deals have come my way on the following pieces so I'm stuck trying to choose between them. Suggestions on any other cans are of course welcome as well.

 

Deals:

 

-BeyerDynamic T1's, slightly used by a friend, for $800

 

-Sony MDR-CD3000, found here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/564542/headphones-sony-mdr-cd3000-woodied-akg-k340-woodied-and-koss-ksc-35

 

-Audio Technica ATH-W5000, also slightly used by a friend, for $500

 

I'm aware that these cans have many intrinsic differences and that "better" is highly subjective, just looking for some general opinions really. It may be worth noting I haven't purchased a serious, relevant amp yet, so "matching" doesn't have to be taken into consideration. Amp budget is about $600 & am open to suggestions in that arena as well, though I realize amps aren't pertinent for this thread. Thanks very much guys, your input is appreciated!


Since your friend(s) have two of them, why not give them a listen and decide after that?

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUbiquitous View Post

Hello I'm on the lookout for a new pair of closed back headphones. I currently own a pair of ATH M50 but want to try something different.

My price range is around 100 - 200 dollars. I have been looking into these: Shure srh840, ultrasone hifi580 and beyerdinamic dt660. I woud appreciate any imput on how do these compare to the m50's. Any other suggestions would also be appreciated.

I will be listening mainly to metal, trance and rock on them and will be driving them form my ipod.

Cheers!

 

The 840 is less U shaped yet overall a bit more pronounced in the bass. The HFI580 is more impactful in the bass, but the rest of the spectrum feels kinda wobbly. I wouldn't say these are really that "different" from the M50 though; more like sideways steps.
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpr View Post

 

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 515s. The side plastic is starting to crack, and I haven't been very happy with the build quality in general anyway, so I'm looking for a change.

I'd prefer to stay with over-ear models, and I'd like them to be as portable as possible; I almost never listen to music when I'm out and about because the 515s aren't at all portable enough and I can't stand wearing any buds. I'd really like to be able to take this new pair with me and not have to worry about carrying around these massive things for hours at a time.

Budget is in the $100-150 range. Thanks, all!

 


Can you give us a better sense of what kind of music you listen to? If going portable, you're probably going to want to switch to closed headphones. There are tons of options here... M50, Shure 440/840/750, Senn HD280/380, Sony V6, etc.

 


Edited by Armaegis - 7/30/11 at 6:49pm
post #5666 of 29490

Hai Head-Fi

 

I'm currently looking for some headphones for everyday use. Mostly at home, so portability is not a huge deal for me. I currently mostly use In-Ear buds (Senn Cx-300, Cx-500, and own some Senn 161's for my gaming headset), I have a couple other In-Ear headphone brands that I cannot recall at the moment also. I really would like a pair of over-ear headphones for (as I said) at home use. I don't really like having buds in my ears, but that was the cheaper quicker alternative when I bought them, I didn't really care too much. I really don't have much of a knowledge of headphones but am looking to learn, haha. I am now looking for a good solid pair (100 - 200?) I don't really know, money isn't a huge object here and I wouldn't mind spending if I knew it was a good investment. I also, have no clue about desktop amps and honestly had no idea there was such a thing until recently haha. So I think I'd rather get headphones that sound good without a amp.

I listen to a lot of music, namely trance, dubstep (I'd listen to more but I really do not like how most dubstep sounds on my In-ear headphones), techno.. but I also do listen to rock/rap/country, it is pretty much whatever I am in the mood for that day.

 

Also, one of the main problems I have with my 161's is that when I lean over.. (since I'm a girl), they fall off my head. Seriously I cannot lean over or they go flying, this isn't really a problem on the computer because well.. you sit upright, but I'd love a pair that could actually fit my head.

Thanks all!

post #5667 of 29490

Looking to buy some headphones, of course. I have an HT OMEGA Claro Halo hooked up by optical to a Denon AVR-1083. I listen to LOTS of music. Hours everyday. Mostly flac. I'm on turtable.fm a lot though, but that's still 320 bitrate. I listen to everything, lots of chillwave and witch house. Stuff like Washed out and Salem. Music with sounds on top of sounds. Price wise I'm lenient on. I'm thinking 200-400. 

 

I did buy some Sennheiser HD 558 but I'm thinking of returning them. They don't sound as good turned up loud like my speakers running off the denon do. Maybe that's just the difference between speakers and headphones though. 

 

I'm interested in whatever has the best fatigue. As in whatever I can listen to the longest without getting tired of listening to music. According to the thread on here about fatigue maybe I should upgrade to the HD650.

 

 

Also should I use them through the claro halo with it's built in headphone amp or the denon reciever?

post #5668 of 29490

so i have a hot audio bit perfect DAC and i just got the Sennheiser 598 and i have to have the volume completely maxed on every place i can see to increase the volume to get a good volume most of the time, and occasionally even that isn't as loud as i'd like. Is there Any tricks to increasing the max volume short of buying a better dac?

post #5669 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atavax View Post

so i have a hot audio bit perfect DAC and i just got the Sennheiser 598 and i have to have the volume completely maxed on every place i can see to increase the volume to get a good volume most of the time, and occasionally even that isn't as loud as i'd like. Is there Any tricks to increasing the max volume short of buying a better dac?



You're running your HD598 straight from your DAC and the volume isn't enough for you after all analog pots and digital volume controls are maxed? Maybe you would do good to consider getting an amp, like PA2V2 or E11, both can be had for under $100, and the fact that they're portable amps also means you can use them with a DAP anywhere.

post #5670 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artums View Post

Hai Head-Fi

 

I'm currently looking for some headphones for everyday use. Mostly at home, so portability is not a huge deal for me. I currently mostly use In-Ear buds (Senn Cx-300, Cx-500, and own some Senn 161's for my gaming headset), I have a couple other In-Ear headphone brands that I cannot recall at the moment also. I really would like a pair of over-ear headphones for (as I said) at home use. I don't really like having buds in my ears, but that was the cheaper quicker alternative when I bought them, I didn't really care too much. I really don't have much of a knowledge of headphones but am looking to learn, haha. I am now looking for a good solid pair (100 - 200?) I don't really know, money isn't a huge object here and I wouldn't mind spending if I knew it was a good investment. I also, have no clue about desktop amps and honestly had no idea there was such a thing until recently haha. So I think I'd rather get headphones that sound good without a amp.

I listen to a lot of music, namely trance, dubstep (I'd listen to more but I really do not like how most dubstep sounds on my In-ear headphones), techno.. but I also do listen to rock/rap/country, it is pretty much whatever I am in the mood for that day.

 

Also, one of the main problems I have with my 161's is that when I lean over.. (since I'm a girl), they fall off my head. Seriously I cannot lean over or they go flying, this isn't really a problem on the computer because well.. you sit upright, but I'd love a pair that could actually fit my head.

Thanks all!

 

Here's a bunch to look into to get your started:
Phiaton MS400

Ultrasone HFI-580

Audio Technica M50 or Pro700mk2

Shure 750

 

Sonically I liked the MS400 the most out of those, and they fit a bit more snug on the head too.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by sch1omo View Post

Looking to buy some headphones, of course. I have an HT OMEGA Claro Halo hooked up by optical to a Denon AVR-1083. I listen to LOTS of music. Hours everyday. Mostly flac. I'm on turtable.fm a lot though, but that's still 320 bitrate. I listen to everything, lots of chillwave and witch house. Stuff like Washed out and Salem. Music with sounds on top of sounds. Price wise I'm lenient on. I'm thinking 200-400. 

 

I did buy some Sennheiser HD 558 but I'm thinking of returning them. They don't sound as good turned up loud like my speakers running off the denon do. Maybe that's just the difference between speakers and headphones though. 

 

I'm interested in whatever has the best fatigue. As in whatever I can listen to the longest without getting tired of listening to music. According to the thread on here about fatigue maybe I should upgrade to the HD650.

 

 

Also should I use them through the claro halo with it's built in headphone amp or the denon reciever?


Speakers are good at giving that visceral feeling, especially in the bass. If you want that in headphones, going closed is the easiest way, and some decent ones would be the M-Audio Q40 or Ultrasone Pro750/900 which have very strong rumbly bass.

 

Fatigue is *usually* associated with highs, so getting headphones with slightly downturned or rolled off highs will reduce fatigue.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atavax View Post

so i have a hot audio bit perfect DAC and i just got the Sennheiser 598 and i have to have the volume completely maxed on every place i can see to increase the volume to get a good volume most of the time, and occasionally even that isn't as loud as i'd like. Is there Any tricks to increasing the max volume short of buying a better dac?


 

Yikes, how loud do you normally listen? I have the DacDestroyer (which is basically the same as the BitPerfect but without volume control) and the built in amp on that is quite strong... plugging headphones in at max volume is almost deafening for me.

 

Check the EQ settings on your music software and see if there's a "preamp setting" that you can crank up. Outside of that, there are some external software volume boosters that you could try, but I have no experience with those.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum