or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 367  

post #5491 of 29490

http://www.4ortex.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Headphones-BRAND-NEW-IN-BOX-audtech-ath-m50-new.htm

 

Anybody ever used this site before or heard if this is legit. I have a hard time believing it, but its very tempting...

post #5492 of 29490

Hey everyone!

 

I'm new to buying headphones aside from the one time 4 years ago I picked up skullcandy ink'd s for 9 bucks (I know, the horror). I'd like to get over ears now but I only have around 25 dollars to spend. I was thinking of the Sennheiser HD202 IIs for $24 but wanted to know how good they are in relation to (you guys are going to hate me for this, but the only reference points I have: ) skullcandy ink'ds and skullcandy agent over ears (which my brother bought after i repeatedly told him to look elsewhere :p )

 

EDIT: here's the link to newegg for the sennheisers im looking to buy http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=26-106-508&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo


Edited by ineednewphones - 7/21/11 at 9:01pm
post #5493 of 29490

 

Hello, I'm new to the audiophile scene.  For the longest time, I've been stuck with these cheap, $20 pair of Skull Candies, and at this point I'm utterly sick of 'em.  I need a real pair of cans!  There's a couple things I want from them:

 

 

- Preferably circumaural, closed-back - although I'm willing to make a compromise. Mainly because I don't want people within 10-foot radius listening to what I'm hearing.  Isolation at a mid range would be preferable.  If there's an open-back that still provides decent isolation, I'd gladly take those.

 

- Preferably no amp required. Again, I'm willing to make a compromise.  But I don't the first thing about amps, so if recommended a pair of cans that require an amp, I'd appreciate a recommendation on an affordable amp as well (portable or desktop, whichever one).

 

- Good, clean sound - a balanced sounding headphone; perhaps with a slight emphasis on bass.  I'll be using them mostly for gaming, music, and movies.  I listen to a lot of classic rock and house (which has lots of bass).  I do a lot of gaming, which bass tends to enhance the experience.  So I guess the emphasis on bass is justified, although I'm hoping it doesn't conflict with my tastes towards classic rock music (in which case, mid-ranges are important).  Nonetheless, I do appreciate nice mid-ranges.  I'm assuming all of this can be adjusted through trail-and-error with an EQ though.

 

- Around $200 (USD).  If an amp is needed, I'm willing to spend no more than $65.  Although I suppose I can dip in my budget for new cans to go towards an amp.  I'm guessing there's a sweet spot somewhere.

 

 

From what I've gathered, these headphones seem to be the most recommended that suit towards my needs (that don't require an amp):

 

- Audio Technica ATH-A900

- Audio Technica ATH-M50

- Sennheiser HD25-1 II

- Sennheiser HD 595/598 (although I believe these are open-back)

 

 

If there's any other recommendations, I'd be happy to hear them.  At this point, I'm a little confused on which one to get.  Certainly advice from the pros will help me out. Thank you in advance.

post #5494 of 29490

Purchased some AKG K701s. Source is currently a Xonar DX.

 

Looking to either:

A) Get a second-hand Heed Canamp, or;

B) Get a Xonar ST and live with the in-build headphone amp.

 

Problem is that I plan to get some Monitor Audio BX2s, and build it into the 5.1 setup by the end of the year.

So the Xonar ST gives me a little more power for my K701s, little bit tighter technical stats compared to the DX but i'll need to get a powered amp for the Monitor Audio speakers, and eventually a real amp for the K701s. However, Canamp will last a long time but will have a little bit of a weaker source for now (not a bad one, though).

 

So it is convenience (ST) vs longevity with little short-term results (i.e. six months).

 

As far as Canamp vs ST, there are people saying K701s driven by the ST are fine and others screaming that it'll turn it into a harsh sibilant blasting banshee. 

 

Any thoughts on my collective mind dump?

post #5495 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenNoodle26 View Post

http://www.4ortex.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Headphones-BRAND-NEW-IN-BOX-audtech-ath-m50-new.htm

 

Anybody ever used this site before or heard if this is legit. I have a hard time believing it, but its very tempting...


I've never heard of them... and at $80 it is definitely in the "too good to be true" range.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by ExLegend View Post

 

Hello, I'm new to the audiophile scene.  For the longest time, I've been stuck with these cheap, $20 pair of Skull Candies, and at this point I'm utterly sick of 'em.  I need a real pair of cans!  There's a couple things I want from them:

 

 

- Preferably circumaural, closed-back - although I'm willing to make a compromise. Mainly because I don't want people within 10-foot radius listening to what I'm hearing.  Isolation at a mid range would be preferable.  If there's an open-back that still provides decent isolation, I'd gladly take those.

 

- Preferably no amp required. Again, I'm willing to make a compromise.  But I don't the first thing about amps, so if recommended a pair of cans that require an amp, I'd appreciate a recommendation on an affordable amp as well (portable or desktop, whichever one).

 

- Good, clean sound - a balanced sounding headphone; perhaps with a slight emphasis on bass.  I'll be using them mostly for gaming, music, and movies.  I listen to a lot of classic rock and house (which has lots of bass).  I do a lot of gaming, which bass tends to enhance the experience.  So I guess the emphasis on bass is justified, although I'm hoping it doesn't conflict with my tastes towards classic rock music (in which case, mid-ranges are important).  Nonetheless, I do appreciate nice mid-ranges.  I'm assuming all of this can be adjusted through trail-and-error with an EQ though.

 

- Around $200 (USD).  If an amp is needed, I'm willing to spend no more than $65.  Although I suppose I can dip in my budget for new cans to go towards an amp.  I'm guessing there's a sweet spot somewhere.

 

 

From what I've gathered, these headphones seem to be the most recommended that suit towards my needs (that don't require an amp):

 

- Audio Technica ATH-A900

- Audio Technica ATH-M50

- Sennheiser HD25-1 II

- Sennheiser HD 595/598 (although I believe these are open-back)

 

 

If there's any other recommendations, I'd be happy to hear them.  At this point, I'm a little confused on which one to get.  Certainly advice from the pros will help me out. Thank you in advance.


The A900 might not have enough thumpy bass for house, although the resonance plays well with other types of electronica. The Senns are open so we'll skip those for now. The M50 and HD25-1-ii are both solid headphones, and sonically I would choose the HD25-1-ii. It has better isolation and sharper sound, and doesn't lose out the mids like the M50 does.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuma View Post

Purchased some AKG K701s. Source is currently a Xonar DX.

 

Looking to either:

A) Get a second-hand Heed Canamp, or;

B) Get a Xonar ST and live with the in-build headphone amp.

 

Problem is that I plan to get some Monitor Audio BX2s, and build it into the 5.1 setup by the end of the year.

So the Xonar ST gives me a little more power for my K701s, little bit tighter technical stats compared to the DX but i'll need to get a powered amp for the Monitor Audio speakers, and eventually a real amp for the K701s. However, Canamp will last a long time but will have a little bit of a weaker source for now (not a bad one, though).

 

So it is convenience (ST) vs longevity with little short-term results (i.e. six months).

 

As far as Canamp vs ST, there are people saying K701s driven by the ST are fine and others screaming that it'll turn it into a harsh sibilant blasting banshee. 

 

Any thoughts on my collective mind dump?


Go with the sound card, then get a receiver with a headphone output. Two birds with one stone that way.

 

post #5496 of 29490

With the K702, E9, Asgard or M-Stage? Read a ton of reviews... Probably will flip a coin, but would love any impressions!

post #5497 of 29490

I think I've decided to purchase new headphones in the form of Beyerdynamic DT990/600s. Unfortunately I'm completely inexperienced with purchasing DACs/amps and I was wondering if the Zero DAC and Little Dot MK iii would be an affordable DAC/amp combo. I was wondering how that setup would sound/if there are any other DAC/amp combos in the same price range that would be preferable. Thanks!

post #5498 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

 

While the Ultrasones do tend to clamp a bit, they have very large cups which distributes the pressure so it feels less. As always though, comfort is a tough call to make for others.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by 200poundsofamp View Post

 

But that makes it easy, go for the Shures. I really like the Ultrasone soundstage myself but its really not worth the sibilance if you're sensitive to it.

 

Also the HFI-580 might be worth checking out if you like lots of bass, they're not supposed to be nearly as sibilant as the 680 and 780.


Update: I managed to find some some Ultrasones to audition alongside some Shures... I still cant decide!

 

I got a chance to listen to SRH840s, to HFI 780s, and a short listen to HFI 680s. The Ultrasones werent as bad comfort-wise as I thought they might be, although I wouldnt call them super comfortable either. The clamping itself wasnt a big issue but they had a tendancy to press in one particular spot behind the jaw...The Shures felt much softer and more comfortable in comparison.

 

On the other hand, I prefered the sound of the Ultrasones. I felt like there was more texture and detail in guitar, and the bass seemed cleaner. The sibilance also didnt bother me as much as I was worried about... it was noticable, but it wasnt coming through at the particularly harsh frequency that causes me problems.

 

I was told that the 780s had only been in use for a few months, while the 840s had been in use for a few years, but that might just have been the salesman using burn-in to try and excuse any faults in the 780s (which they sell for $100 more)

 

 

I think Im leaning towards the 680s, hoping that the comfort doesnt become an issue with longer use, with a (software) parametric EQ to minimise any foibles like the sibilance in my music.

 

I feel like I need to draw a flowchart to keep track of all my options blink.gif

post #5499 of 29490

ATH-M50 or Ultrasone DJ1?  I'm wondering which is better for trance, techno, hip-hop, house. I think the m50's look better and that does make a difference to me but I want lots of bass, but quality bass. I will also be buying the Fiio E5 portable amp with one of these phones.

post #5500 of 29490

The Sennheiser HD5xxs will leak like water through you hands.  I use them for speakers when I have friends over and we are watching something on the computer.  Far greater than a 10 foot radius.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExLegend View Post

 

Hello, I'm new to the audiophile scene.  For the longest time, I've been stuck with these cheap, $20 pair of Skull Candies, and at this point I'm utterly sick of 'em.  I need a real pair of cans!  There's a couple things I want from them:

 

 

- Preferably circumaural, closed-back - although I'm willing to make a compromise. Mainly because I don't want people within 10-foot radius listening to what I'm hearing.  Isolation at a mid range would be preferable.  If there's an open-back that still provides decent isolation, I'd gladly take those.

 

- Preferably no amp required. Again, I'm willing to make a compromise.  But I don't the first thing about amps, so if recommended a pair of cans that require an amp, I'd appreciate a recommendation on an affordable amp as well (portable or desktop, whichever one).

 

- Good, clean sound - a balanced sounding headphone; perhaps with a slight emphasis on bass.  I'll be using them mostly for gaming, music, and movies.  I listen to a lot of classic rock and house (which has lots of bass).  I do a lot of gaming, which bass tends to enhance the experience.  So I guess the emphasis on bass is justified, although I'm hoping it doesn't conflict with my tastes towards classic rock music (in which case, mid-ranges are important).  Nonetheless, I do appreciate nice mid-ranges.  I'm assuming all of this can be adjusted through trail-and-error with an EQ though.

 

- Around $200 (USD).  If an amp is needed, I'm willing to spend no more than $65.  Although I suppose I can dip in my budget for new cans to go towards an amp.  I'm guessing there's a sweet spot somewhere.

 

 

From what I've gathered, these headphones seem to be the most recommended that suit towards my needs (that don't require an amp):

 

- Audio Technica ATH-A900

- Audio Technica ATH-M50

- Sennheiser HD25-1 II

- Sennheiser HD 595/598 (although I believe these are open-back)

 

 

If there's any other recommendations, I'd be happy to hear them.  At this point, I'm a little confused on which one to get.  Certainly advice from the pros will help me out. Thank you in advance.



 

post #5501 of 29490

Hi all

 

I probably just lost my 6yo AKG K301 XTRA (do you happen to have a "tech support" section on the site? I didn't see it :) )

 

- I'd like to use my next hp (no headset) on my pc mainly for gaming\movies\music (all type, mainly from movies), so a balanced product would be ideal.

 

- Price range max 150$ (100€).

 

- Other key aspects: comfortable, durable.

 

- Open\closed: semi-open (like the k301)? If I'm not wrong, the semi-open design is rarely used. Why is that? Anyway I don't like to be completely isolated, and on the other hand I wouldn't like the outside noise to kill my enjoyment.

 

Thx in advance

 

PS: - I'd skip positional audio for the drawbacks It brings, I'll kick asses in FPSs anyway :D

PS2: - I have a Realtek 8111C (ALC888 8-channel audio codec) integrated sc..do you think I need a  dedicated sound card?

 

 


Edited by Nilth - 7/22/11 at 6:21am
post #5502 of 29490


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutcha View Post

I read a Lottttt of thread here and im still really wondering what I should get

 

I know the M50 are awesome everybody like them but i cannot get them under 150 (or I just suck at looking for them)

 

should I wait for the price to go down like it was a few week ago?

 

The Shure 840 looked really nice too :D but some people are just saying that the M50 are better for the price... but i can get them for around 150 too so i really don't know

 

Also most people praising the M50 are electronika/other bass heavy listener and I mostly listen to indie/rock music

 

My music this year so far :

http://www.last.fm/user/Coutcha1er

 

Also I Live in Canada and its really hard to find a good place to buy speaker in quebec :(

 

So I would appreciate any help and suggestion but nothing over 200$


  Thanks for the Help :-)

 

  but still I really dont know what to choose :-(

 

  The Grados SR80i look nice and i can also get them for about 150 but they look really small (like not around the ear like the m50)

 

  Or should I just put 20 more bucks in and get the HD 25

 

Also I wanted to say I will mostly use them with my iTouch and PC without amp and outside/on the bus quite often so isolation is important (and I hate hate hate active noise cancellation) I did try the Bose quiet comfort 15 and hated them :( they did not impress me with the SQ at all and put an awful pression on my ear that I really cannot stand (but god they are comfyyy :3   )

 

So I think I might just go for the m50 when I can get them at a lower price (any help on that would be great) :P

 

But im still really really not sure about this :*(

 

Thank you :D

post #5503 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ineednewphones View Post

Hey everyone!

 

I'm new to buying headphones aside from the one time 4 years ago I picked up skullcandy ink'd s for 9 bucks (I know, the horror). I'd like to get over ears now but I only have around 25 dollars to spend. I was thinking of the Sennheiser HD202 IIs for $24 but wanted to know how good they are in relation to (you guys are going to hate me for this, but the only reference points I have: ) skullcandy ink'ds and skullcandy agent over ears (which my brother bought after i repeatedly told him to look elsewhere :p )

 

EDIT: here's the link to newegg for the sennheisers im looking to buy http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=26-106-508&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo



Anyone? I have absolutely no idea what to do

post #5504 of 29490
Hello ineednewphones, you might want to save the money unless you really need a pair right now.
If it's down to HD202 vs SkullCandy agent, I'd go for the HD202 just because of the branding.

You might want to consider the Audio Technica FC707 or the Audio Technica SJ5. My friend's got the FC707 and it's not too bad.
Edited by koolkat - 7/22/11 at 9:30am
post #5505 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ineednewphones View Post

Anyone? I have absolutely no idea what to do


Are you in a large enough city to have a store that has a listening station for headphones?  We have one high-end store in town that has a headphone room.  Their prices are astronomical--I'd never BUY them there, but they are pretty nice about letting you bring in a couple CDs and spending time switching between Sennheisers, Grados and Shures.  If you can find a way to listen to a few pairs, you'll get a much better sense of what you really want.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum