or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 326  

post #4876 of 29490

Hello fellow Head-Fi'ers, new to this site. I've been looking and reading around for the last 3-4 days to step up from my current cheap headphones. About 80% of the music I'm listening to is Metal (mostly thrash, heavy, symphonic and progressive) and the rest is rock. As a beginning bassist as well, I'm looking for headphones that aren't too bass heavy, but I'd like to hear the bass lines in various songs and albums as clear as possible, while not leaving aside the rest completely. The budget is around 100-150$. They'll be used mostly with my Sansa Fuze player (probably gonna be replaced soon) going to and from work, sometimes plugged to my rig. So far the 2 most recommended cans I've seen are the AD700 and M50S, both are around the same price, though both also got some mixed reviews. Obviously I'm not looking for the best possible sound for my first decent cans, so any tips and recommendations are welcome. Also if any extra info is needed to make the right decision, I'll gladly provide it.

Thanks in advance.


Edited by AcesZ - 6/23/11 at 11:31am
post #4877 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plongetz View Post

Ok guys, quick question.

 

I listen to a lot of guitar oriented music (blues, rock, alternative, some metal, some acoustic). I need a pair of cans that can make my music sound amazing (and preferrably sound decent unamped). Open or closed, I don't mind. I've got a budget of around 180$, and narrowed it down to 2 choices:

 

Denon AD2000

Sennheiser 598

 

How would these two compare for my needs?

 

Thanks a ton.


For guitar and acoustic, I prefer the sound of open cans. The 598 would be better here in my opinion. Both options you've listed are above your budget though, unless you've got a good deal lined up somewhere.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesZ View Post

Hello fellow Head-Fi'ers, new to this site. I've been looking and reading around for the last 3-4 days to step up from my current cheap headphones. About 80% of the music I'm listening to is Metal (mostly thrash, heavy, symphonic and progressive) and the rest is rock. As a beginning bassist as well, I'm looking for headphones that aren't too bass heavy, but I'd like to hear the bass lines in various songs and albums as clear as possible, while not leaving aside the rest completely. The budget is around 100-150$. They'll be used mostly with my Sansa Fuze player (probably gonna be replaced soon) going to and from work, sometimes plugged to my rig. So far the 2 most recommended cans I've seen are the AD700 and M50S, both are around the same price, though both also got some mixed reviews. Obviously I'm not looking for the best possible sound for my first decent cans, so any tips and recommendations are welcome. Also if any extra info is needed to make the right decision, I'll gladly provide it.

Thanks in advance.


The AD700 is not portable at all. Go with the M50 in this case (though even that one has a long cord which isn't particularly suitable for portability either).

 

post #4878 of 29490

Heya,

 

Just to point out, the only thing that prevents a headphone from being portable is the inability to drive it well enough to enjoy/warrant the headphones. Beyond that it's personal preference on whether or not you're willing to carry them around.

 

AD700's can be as portable as you want.

 

My DT770 Pro's are portable. Huge.

 

Very best,

post #4879 of 29490

Quote:

Originally Posted by RHMMMM View Post

Looking for a nice pair of portable/semi-portable cans.  I'd like ones that at least have the capability where the earpads can rotate and lay flat.

 

I picked up a pair of the AKG K450's and they're okay...but not as good as I'd hoped. 

 

Was looking at the Sennheiser HD25 II-1 and the Beyerdynamic DT1350 comparison Jude did.  I would like a pair that is around the same size as those.  The DT1350 is attractive because it's metal and doesn't look too big.

 

I was also looking at Grados - 225 or 325 - I like the 325 because they're metal and appear fairly durable...but I've never heard them. 

 

I listen to all a lot of vocal stuff, classical, instrumental, some pop, not much rock, no metal. 

 

Obviously I'm all over the place here - any suggestions?  How is the portability of the Grados?  Would the DT1350 be a better choice?  They're both around the same price.  Would like the highest quality possible in an on-the-ear headphone that's portable. Try to stay under $500.

 

Hey guys, just following up for the sake of closure.  Ended up completely blowing my budget (only because I got a great deal!) and got a new pair of Ultrasone ED8's.  Wasn't exactly what I wanted (portable, on-ear), but the set is close enough, awesome and I'm happy with the purchase.

post #4880 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post




For guitar and acoustic, I prefer the sound of open cans. The 598 would be better here in my opinion. Both options you've listed are above your budget though, unless you've got a good deal lined up somewhere.

 




The AD700 is not portable at all. Go with the M50 in this case (though even that one has a long cord which isn't particularly suitable for portability either).

 



So if I want more portability it's the M50 and less portability for the AD700. Anything else I should consider at this price range other than those 2 cans? Or are they the best for their price?

post #4881 of 29490
Originally Posted by MalVeauX View Post

Heya,

 

Just to point out, the only thing that prevents a headphone from being portable is the inability to drive it well enough to enjoy/warrant the headphones. Beyond that it's personal preference on whether or not you're willing to carry them around.

 

AD700's can be as portable as you want.

 

My DT770 Pro's are portable. Huge.

 

Very best,

 

While the hunger for power is certainly a factor in portability, it isn't the only one - nor is it the paramount one (IMO). You can overcome that obstacle with a portable amp (usually). The headphone's design is the stamp in portability IMO.

E.g. I usually can't wear an AD700 or K701 on-the-go. The plastic rods attached to the headband would make it impossible for me to rest my head on the back of a chair; they would also force me to duck whenever i get on/off the bus (I'm not tall [173cm]), and I'd still have to worry about the handles in the bus for the people who're standing; I can't move my head freely (the cup size doesn't afford the luxury of unrestrained movement); safely packing/securing such large headphones would require an absurdly large bag (unless you have nothing else in it <-- I would question why you even brought a bag if this were the case).

Some people still regularly use enormous headphones like the LCD-2 as portables, but they are among the few - very few.


Originally Posted by RHMMMM View Post

Hey guys, just following up for the sake of closure.  Ended up completely blowing my budget (only because I got a great deal!) and got a new pair of Ultrasone ED8's.  Wasn't exactly what I wanted (portable, on-ear), but the set is close enough, awesome and I'm happy with the purchase.


Congrats!

 


Edited by Nom de Plume - 6/23/11 at 2:08pm
post #4882 of 29490
I'm trying to decide between Senn HD650 and Ultrasone Pro 900s... I listen to hard rock, metal, classic rock...anything with guitars. I enjoy bass. I was leaning towards the closed 900s but if the 650s are much better, I'd be fine with open cans
post #4883 of 29490

Right so I went to a couple of big stores that sell electronics etc. I brought my Clip+ with a varied playlist and tried several phones, open and closed. On all of them except the higher end ones, the highs were kinda tinny. Could this be because they're out and constantly have music on and perhaps damaged or abused? Kinda frustrating if i can't get accurate sound. I'm still looking for a proper store to check more phones but no luck yet. I did like a Senn px200-ii though but again, tinny highs and also missing a little bit of bass.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind238 View Post

 

Hi there, just singed up for some advice.

 

My Nuforce ne-7m's recently broke, the casing of the right earbud came loose. I'm looking or a replacement and to go a a little step up.

 

I listen primarily from my Sansa Clip+, also from my PC once in a while and I am a big gamer (all genres) so something that works good with games (big soundstage?) would be a bonus. 

As far as music goes I've been listening to a bit of dubstep recently but in my regular playlist I have some drum and bass, some techno, some trance, some hip-hop, some pop, and some nice movie soundtracks.

 

What I'm looking for would either be an IEM or Ear pads. I'm also considering full-size so sorry for the cross-posting.

Sound isolation would be a great plus as I'd game at night and the gf sleeps in the same room.

I liked the sound of the ne-7m. It had the right amount of bass and was pretty clear. I am a perfectionist so I want as close to reference sound as possible. A little bit of extra oomph in the low end is fine but not necessary.

Budget: €50-100

I live in Rotterdam, haven't seen a shop with a wide range of brands or headphones to try.

Also I won't be buying an amp, am not interested in one at all. Later perhaps, right now no way.

 

A bit of a long post but I wanted to give as much info as possible so i could get the best advice possible.

Soo... any advice? Thanks in advance!



 


Edited by Blind238 - 6/23/11 at 3:07pm
post #4884 of 29490


Hey, a fellow Hokie!  I graduated back in 2004, which is coincidentally the year I bought my HD 650's and about the time they came out (03/04).  I love mine and they have lasted me this long (and are still in 8/10 condition).  I'm just bought new earpads and a Zu Mobius cable to refresh and upgrade them. 
 

That said, I don't know how the Ultrasone Pro 900's sound, but I just got my Edition 8's in yesterday and they're pretty awesome.  They are more forward and a tad brighter and more detailed than the Senns.  The HD 650's have a nice, laid-back, rich, warm sound which pretty much makes everything sound good.  They are nonfatiguing and I could listen to them all day long.  The ED8's are easily driven (not sure about 900's), and the Senns you pretty much want an amp, though I drive them from portable devices now and then, but you have to turn the volume all the way up and they still lack some dynamics.  It's hard to go wrong with the 650's - they're classics and I'll use mine until they die, but you may want more information about the 900's. If you want a lively presentation for the type of music you like (rock, etc.) you may want to check out Grados, too.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LepakVT View Post

I'm trying to decide between Senn HD650 and Ultrasone Pro 900s... I listen to hard rock, metal, classic rock...anything with guitars. I enjoy bass. I was leaning towards the closed 900s but if the 650s are much better, I'd be fine with open cans


 


Edited by RHMMMM - 6/23/11 at 3:39pm
post #4885 of 29490
Hello! I just graduated a month ago..I need to update my sig! I have MS1s and I know 225s would be a solid choice, but for some reason, I am looking to broaden my horizons a little and try something new

Although the pricetag of 225s is really appealing..haha, damn head-fi, so many options!!

And I know the 325s are more similarly priced, but I think I'd enjoy 225s more (but they're still in 3rd place for me)
Edited by LepakVT - 6/23/11 at 4:56pm
post #4886 of 29490

Hello, I am looking to buy a pair of very bass heavy headphones. I am very happy with my Grado SR325is's but they do not have the heavy bass I am looking for when listening to electronic music, and I knew this fully well when purchasing them. So I am looking to buy a new or used pair of headphones for anywhere up to $400. I would prefer that they be closed since my grado's are open and I would like some more noise cancelling, as well as being able to listen to music without bothering others. Also, I have a FiiO e7 amp, but I might end up upgrading that as well sometime in the near future, so any amp advice would also be appreciated. 

 

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated :D

post #4887 of 29490

Legend thanks.

I think In the long term I actually want both options, something similar to the Denon D2000s and a contrast. In different cans obviously :) The question I need to ask myself is which first. (My wallet and pay-cheque hate me right now)

 

Thank you for pointing out the Beyer DT990. I'm very weak on research in Beyer and hadn't picked out a model. I'm also very pleased to see you point out the AKG K701s and those we're on my list of possibles. So I'm not steering wrong here.

 

If I were to go for the similar option with the sennheiser, what would people suggest as a first purchase, the HD600 or HD650? A surprising number of people have said they ultimatly love their 600s more. Or am I reading wrong?

 

 

post #4888 of 29490

Hey Guys,

So I've just finished (still awaiting shipment) my portable rig, and I'm looking at getting some full size headphones to use to listen to it when I'm at home.

 

Firstly, the equipment.

Currently iPhone 4/Laptop/iPad > AlgoRhythm Solo (on iDevices) > RSA SR-71B > UM Miracle.

 

What I'm looking for is a good set of headphone to run off this equipment and also a little future proof for when I start investing in a desktop setup (portable came first as I'm on the road a lot presently).

 

Music style is mostly heavy metal, but I love all styles of music, so I'm looking for a mostly balanced signature, with a very slight bump in the low end. I am by no stretch a basshead and find that this kills most of my music, but I do like a richer low end than an analytical balanced signature.

 

My budget is around $1,000. I've noticed a lot of you guys have the Audez'e LCD-2 and speak very highly of them, but before I jump in with no knowledge, I thought I'd ask the experts.

 

So are you guys able to shed some light and recommend me a few different options for my setup with my sound signature in mind?

 

All help appreciated.

 

Cheers,

Aaron

post #4889 of 29490

My breadth of field of headphone isn't huge but the Denon 2000s certainly match your request for closed back and base Rich. I wouldn't call them base heavy as they balance in the mids and treble very well. On their own there good. With a good amp there gorgeous. There also very comfy for long listening stints.

I love mine to bits.

post #4890 of 29490

Ah, cool.  Well try something else then - it's hard to go wrong with the 650's.  Buy from a place with a 0% restocking fee return policy and send them back if you don't like them.  Remember, whatever you buy, make sure to give them a proper break-in before making a keep/return decision.  I thought my 650's were lame when I first got them, but after I broke them in for a good couple hundred hours, they were awesome and I stopped using my MDR-CD3000's (wish I still had those for nostalgia sake).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LepakVT View Post

Hello! I just graduated a month ago..I need to update my sig! I have MS1s and I know 225s would be a solid choice, but for some reason, I am looking to broaden my horizons a little and try something new

Although the pricetag of 225s is really appealing..haha, damn head-fi, so many options!!

And I know the 325s are more similarly priced, but I think I'd enjoy 225s more (but they're still in 3rd place for me)


 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum