or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 325  

post #4861 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by muad View Post

Hi all, 

 

I tried my own thread but I didn't get too many responses. Then I saw this thread. So here is what Im looking for...

 

 

I've been on head-fi for awhile now, and have tried a few full size and iems. I need a pair of headphones that is pretty much what I described above and near the $200 dollar range. They can be either open or closed. I prefer a relatively balanced and natural sound. 

 

Very important to me is that the bass is tight and goes deep or certain songs just don't sound right. Drums need a little bit of impact and body.

 

The mids should be just right, I find mids very important for vocals but too much upper mids hurts a little.

 

The highs must be present, Cymabals should sound accurate without being piercing. The treble is definitely the least important factor for me.

 

Sound stage doesn't have to be huge, medium is fine. Imaging and seperation are very important. I love being able to hear clearly seperated instruments and vocals. I can't stand congested music. It is pretty much the definition of a bad headphone to me. Average detail is fine, a little smoothness goes along way to creating a natural sound. Correct timbre? or tone of instruments is also important to me, especially piano, acoustic guitar and drums. Bright headphones make everything sound high pitched and a huge bass hump can make instruments sound deeper then they actually are, I'm not interested in coloration.

 

I generally love "indy" rock that use acoustic instruments. Very little hiphop and techno and quite a few classic rock songs sum up my repertoire. Heres a short list of a few artists that I worship....

 

Arcade fire

Cold war kids

Regina Spektor

The Beatles (psychadellic)

The National

Daft Punk

Beirut

Alicia Keyes

Florence and the Machine

Solid gold

Vampire weekend

 

Oh and I'd like to add, I had some K701's I really enjoyed but it gave me pressure headaches at the ear pads and the sound stage is too big/fake, not intimate enough. :(

 



Ahaha, I was a about to post the same thing as a new thread too, glad I found this. I believe you have stated a most accurate description of my desirable headphones.

 

For the record, my budget only goes as high as 150 bucks though; also, my past experiences have been Sony Mdr V-150, Sennheiser hd 201 (the best one i have imo), and the Sony MDR V-5 (too tight/uncomfortable and muddy sound for my tastes)


Edited by JCRG - 6/22/11 at 5:25pm
post #4862 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinenegro View Post

Hey i'm new to the forum. I was thinking about buying some higher end headphones and I narrowed down the choices to the akg k240mk2 and the akg Q701. I am aware that i'll need an amp to power the Q701 but i'm wondering if there's anyone out there that has tried the  Fiio E7 and is it adequate with the Q701? Also I'd like to know what other good amp/dac can I get for under $200 that would suit the Q701?...I'm into hip hop, rock (and it's various sub-genres), classical, jazz, country; that sort of thing. I already plan on buying a bassy earphone to satisfy my needs for bass in hip hop etc.

 

This would be my first higher end headphone so I'm just trying to get some advice before I go ahead with a purchase. 



 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Nom de Plume View Post

I would never use the E7 for a K701 (Q701 is just a K701 w/ a paintjob). A good dac/amp combo for the K701 is the Maverick D1. I've heard the NFB-12 is a better bang for your buck, so you should consider that as well, but I don't have any experience with it. 

 

P.S. The aforementioned dac/amp combos are not portable. Then again, the K701/Q701 weren't constructed with portability in mind.
 



 



 


so what about the k240mk2; same amp choices? What about the Ibasso D2+? Any suggestions from neone else?

 
post #4863 of 29490

Hey guys, I've been creeping these forums as I've been in the market for some quality headphones since my 5 year old DSP-500s are just about dead.

 

I WILL BE USING AN ONBOARD SOUNDCARD (REALTEK ALC889)

 

What I will be doing:
-Gaming

-Communication (Skype/Ventrilo)

-Music sometimes (indie rock, acoustic, folk rock, power pop, experimental)

 

What I want:

-Noise cancelling (doesn't have to be TOO noise cancelling, just enough so I will be able to hear Skype/Vent clearly)

-Closed back. I live with my girlfriend so I don't want her to have to listen to everything I do while shes in the room.

-COMFORT. I will be wearing them for LONG periods of time. At least 4+ hours a day.

-I also need a microphone. I am planning getting a Zalman Clip-on. Does anyone have any experience with these picking up ceiling fan noise?

-Best bang for the buck. I'm willing to spend up to $120, maybe more if the cans are THAT good.

 

Some headphones I'm looking at:

-JVC HA-RX700

-Creative Aurvana Live

-Sennheiser HD428

-AT A700

-Sony MVR-V6

-Sennheiser PX100

 

Any recommendations and input would be great!

post #4864 of 29490

I just saw the HD25s on Amazon used for $139 by a place named DAHMART. Anyone heard anything about those guys?

post #4865 of 29490

That onboard REALTEK is a complete piece of junk, do yourself a favor and just put in a cheap $20 soundcard or DAC first.  Also, you might try a pair of Sennheiser gaming headphones, they would have a built in mic and are pretty good.  The PC 350 might work for your price range since you won't need a separate mic.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnecniv View Post

Hey guys, I've been creeping these forums as I've been in the market for some quality headphones since my 5 year old DSP-500s are just about dead.

 

I WILL BE USING AN ONBOARD SOUNDCARD (REALTEK ALC889)

 

What I will be doing:
-Gaming

-Communication (Skype/Ventrilo)

-Music sometimes (indie rock, acoustic, folk rock, power pop, experimental)

 

What I want:

-Noise cancelling (doesn't have to be TOO noise cancelling, just enough so I will be able to hear Skype/Vent clearly)

-Closed back. I live with my girlfriend so I don't want her to have to listen to everything I do while shes in the room.

-COMFORT. I will be wearing them for LONG periods of time. At least 4+ hours a day.

-I also need a microphone. I am planning getting a Zalman Clip-on. Does anyone have any experience with these picking up ceiling fan noise?

-Best bang for the buck. I'm willing to spend up to $120, maybe more if the cans are THAT good.

 

Some headphones I'm looking at:

-JVC HA-RX700

-Creative Aurvana Live

-Sennheiser HD428

-AT A700

-Sony MVR-V6

-Sennheiser PX100

 

Any recommendations and input would be great!



 

post #4866 of 29490

Hello! I'm looking for some advice and any help is welcome).

 

I have ATH-M50 and iBasso D4 as a source at job. Lately I find my M50 slightly fatiguing on the bass side. Great cans but their sound signature is not my cup of tea I think.

 

What I'm looking for an upgrade is:

 

1. Warm or neutral sound signature. I actually enjoy spark of my CK10s a lot, though I have some sensitivity to sibilance.

2. Good isolation - few persons are sitting 3 feet from me both ways, can't disturb them (or be disturbed). M50 is great at this.

3. Good comfort - would wish for something like PX100 comfort), okay - M50 comfort is good enough.

4. Rather have bass detail over bass quantity, I'm neither basshead or bass hater, but M50 is tad too bass driven.

5. I have a budget around 200$.

 

What I need is some closed cans. Thought about Denon AH-D2000 but their isolation maybe not so good for me. Sennheiser HD25-1 II and Fischer Audio FA-003 looks like a great pick, but I'm not so sure. Still wish for a warmer sounding cans.

 

Many thanks in advance.

 

Edit: Forgot to add that I listen to a lot of genres, from electro house to pop punk, most of my music is indie and post rock.


Edited by Cortlendt - 6/23/11 at 1:54am
post #4867 of 29490

Hey,

So I am looking for a good sub $100 pair of closed cans for Rap, Reggae and Hip hop. Any recommendations?

post #4868 of 29490

 

Originally Posted by skylinenegro View Post


so what about the k240mk2; same amp choices? What about the Ibasso D2+? Any suggestions from neone else?

 

 


I've never heard the K240 MKII, but look at the specs: impedance of 55ohms and sensitivity of 91dB/mW. The E7 should be enough to drive that.
Something caught my curiosity: why are you considering only portable/semi-portable dac/amp combos? You've only listed full-sized headphones that don't even consider portability an afterthought. Does your desk have limited space or do you simply want to use your dac/amp for your DAP, laptop, and desktop? If the latter is your reason, you ought to consider the E7/E9 combo (E7 for your DAP/laptop; E9 for your desktop). 

 

Originally Posted by tnecniv View Post

What I want:

-Noise cancelling (doesn't have to be TOO noise cancelling, just enough so I will be able to hear Skype/Vent clearly)

-Closed back. I live with my girlfriend so I don't want her to have to listen to everything I do while shes in the room.

-COMFORT. I will be wearing them for LONG periods of time. At least 4+ hours a day.

 

Do you want closed headphones or noise canceling headphones? Truthfully, I don't think your needs demand noise canceling. 

I hope you realize comfort and closed headphones usually can't maintain a long relationship. Closed headphones get warm around the ears. If you plan on wearing closed headphones for an extended period of time (and you said you are), you should expect to have Niagara Falls coming out of your ears by the time you're done. 

 

P.S. I'm also worried about your hearing. 4+ hours of headphone listening aren't conducive to good hearing.

 


Edited by Nom de Plume - 6/23/11 at 9:02am
post #4869 of 29490

man im so conflicted on picking up the tma-1. part of me wants to the other part is afraid of committing the money(money isnt an issue). dont know why i keep falling back on committing to it. Seems like its got extra emphasis on bass but everything when it comes to comparing it to the m50 just makes it seem like another option rather than an upgrade from the m50. decisions decisions

post #4870 of 29490

     Quote:

Originally Posted by Nom de Plume View Post

Do you want closed headphones or noise canceling headphones? Truthfully, I don't think your needs demand noise canceling. 

I hope you realize comfort and closed headphones usually can't maintain a long relationship. Closed headphones get warm around the ears. If you plan on wearing closed headphones for an extended period of time (and you said you are), you should expect to have Niagara Falls coming out of your ears by the time you're done. 

 

P.S. I'm also worried about your hearing. 4+ hours of headphone listening isn't conducive to good hearing.

 

 


I guess I would want closed headphones rather than noise cancelling. Anything that will prevent sound from leaking so that my girlfriend won't be able to make out what I'm hearing. I think my hearing is fine for how long I've been gaming with headsets. I usually try to take them off in between matches or whenever I don't really need to talk to anyone. I switch between my headset and my speakers (Creative Gigaworks T20). 

 

 


Edited by tnecniv - 6/23/11 at 9:01am
post #4871 of 29490

 

Hello.

I recently purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD 438. I bought these headphones without having the possibility to listen to them, and now i'm not quite satisfied with the sound. The bass goes deep, but has little impact,treble is nice,but a bit washed out. Previosly i had the Philips HP 2000, which i did not really like because they had really weak treble, almost absent, and boomy bass. Still, when i switched from the Philips's to the Senn's, the 438 seemed to have really weak low's in comparison. The philips's, althought bommy, had a much more punchier bass and the 438's seemed lifeless in comparison. I still prefer the 438, because they have nice detail, and overall a balanced sound, but i'd like a more lively sound. I mostly listen to jazz, soft rock, and electronic. So i'm curios if the Philips HP-890 would be a good replacement for the 438's. Unfortunately i cannot listen to them before buying and i read a lot of good reviews about them. Does someone know how the Philips sound compared to the Senn's? 

Any advice is welcome. 

 

post #4872 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdahm519 View Post

Hey guys,

 

I have a buddy out in Cali who is interested in getting a good starter set up.  He wants to bypass the initial head-fier stage of M50's unamped and such since he doesn't want to waste his money by upgrading in 6 months.  I will probably be building the amp and DAC for him because that way it will be much cheaper but the headphones are something I cannot build... duh.

 

He's looking for something with good resolution and detail that doesn't lack good bass.  He's not a basshead but he likes some healthy bass and probably wouldn't enjoy a headphone that was light on bass.  I'm having trouble thinking of a good headphone under $200 that will do it.  He doesn't care open or closed but I'd prefer if he went open tongue_smile.gif

 

Does anyone have any ideas?  Please don't suggest something you haven't auditioned as thats the whole reason I'm coming to this thread!


A Beyer DT990 Pro (which is essentially the premium version with a less fancy grill and higher clamp, but also much cheaper). It's not a personal favourite of mine (I don't like Beyers in general), but it has good bass and highs and scales nicely with amping.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by schaaf View Post

Hey guys,

Been on here before looking for advice but never pulled the trigger on anything.

I do all my listening on my iMac with iTunes. Most files are apple lossless with some at 320 and the rest have been downloaded and upgraded to iTunes +. Currently listening to Senn hd 555s un amped. Mainly Dave Matthews style acoustic stuff but also some electronic, rock, and heavier stuff like tool.

My setup is ok, but I really want a better soundstage and am looking to replicate the enjoyment of listening to good bookshelf or floor standing speakers. I only have about11-1200 to spend on amp/dac/headphones.

I was mainly looking at the headroom desktop amp/dac with the hd650's.

Amps are confusing. People just spout out model numbers and I have no idea who makes them or where to find them.

I have never listened to anything like the system that I am talking about building, so I have no idea what to expect. I don't want to be disappointed if it's only a little different from what I am listening to now. I think I am expecting to be blown away by this, but I dunno. I'm also looking at a pair of Martin Logan speakers and a new receiver for those. I have heard them many times and love the sound. I think I am expecting something like that in headphones, and I'm not sure if that's realistic or not.

So thoughts on the system?
Other alternatives?
Thoughts on speakers vs headphones?

Thanks everyone.

Schaaf.


In my experience, the closest I've heard to speakers with headphones is from orthos and stax.

 

I don't know anything about STAX so I can't help you there. For orthos, your primary choices are either the LCD-2 or one of the Hifiman headphones. Either will push towards the limit of your budget without amp. However, if you're also shopping for speakers you can use your speaker amp as a headphone amp as well.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunchies View Post

Sound quality wise, which is the best one out of that lot. They sell both the HD280 and 380s at my job so I can actually get a pretty decent discount on them, but if the HD25s are much better in sound quality than I rather dish out the extra dough.

I wont be using it for gaming, just for listening to music while gaming. I need something with good isolation and noise cancellation so that I wont bother people around me but at the same time I wont be able to hear them.

 

EDIT: Scratch the 280s. I've tried them before and the clamping effect was straight up killing me. They're also too bulky for what I was looking for.
 


I found the HD380 more comfortable than the HD280, though it is similar in fit. The HD25 is a puchier sound and doesn't heat up as much since it's supraaural. It does have a tighter clamp though, which  may be uncomfortble for some.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod8 View Post

Hello Head-Fi'ers,

 

I am sort of looking for some open cans that are fairly cheap but good for the price obviously.

I currently have HD25-1ii as a portable can, but I am looking for something open at home that has an larger sound stage with good instrument separation.

The Budget for this is around up $150, maybe a bit more if theres something thats really worth it. Then again I wouldn't mind buying a cheaper option if available 

 

The type of music I listen to really varies, so maybe something that would be good with multiple genres. Also, I only have a Fiio E7 at the moment, so I'm not sure how that would change the choices(I'm a bit of a noob triportsad.gif). Should I look into combo'ing a E9 ?

 

 I would just like to know some of the better options out there!

 

Thanks for your help !


Audio Technica AD700 has a huge sounstage and will sound completely different from the HD25-1-ii. Also consider something like a Senn 555/558, or maybe a used K701/702 if you stretch the budget a little.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by rpf717 View Post

I'm looking to get a set of wireless headphones and have narrowed my choices down to the Sennheiser RS 170 vs RS 180 (although if there are other good choices that are out there for similar cost, I'm open to suggestions). They will be used mostly for Movies, Videogames and occasionally TV, (but not as much for music). 

I've tried searching for information comparing the two and ended up more confused than when I started.

Which one would you recommend? The difference in cost is not a huge deal, but obviously I don't like spending more money if it doesn't make a difference.

Thanks in advance for any opinions/input!


At that price point, the difference isn't that big. Might as well spend the few extra bucks and get the flagship.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobitron View Post

Hey everyone, I could use some help!

 

I want to buy a pair of headphones to use in a loud office environment and on trains. I've been told noise isolating headphones tend to be better than active noise cancellation, but I'm open to both.

 

I listen to all kinds of genres, my only requirements is they sound good (very subjective I know!) and that they do a great job of blocking out sounds. I'm looking to spend $300 or less but could be persuaded to go a bit higher.

 

What should I check out?

 

Thanks!


No passive isolation headphone will do a good job blocking out train noise. An active noise cancellation is better in this regards, but quite frankly if you want to block out that much noise you're better off with IEMs. I'm not an iem guy so I'm not much help there, but do your research on the portables forum. There's are a few big comparison threads there that should be helpful.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod8 View Post

I live in Canada, I am looking at a set of Open Headphones

 

Here's a list I've been compiling of Canadian retailers...
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/548624/listing-canadian-companies-retailers

Or if you don't mind buying used, the sale forums here or on canuckaudiomart are pretty good.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetblackstar View Post

Yet another request for new can advice.
 
I've been bitten by the audiophile collector bug. I'm pondering where to go next.
I've read LOADS of threads, plus a lot of this one, but feel I need to ask a specific question.
 
I started with my Denon AH-D2000's, which I love. I already had a Midiman Flying Cow DAC from years back, which I've supplimented with a V-Link USB to SPDIF device, which has done wonders by the way. So i'm happy with my source.
The next step some may deem as wrong for my cans but I fell in love with the reviews of the LittleDot MKIII tube amp and jumped on board, as my order was processed I paniced that the D2000s lower impedance of 25oms was too low for the LittleDot which was rated at min 30ohms. However some reassurances from David at little dot and some glowing commendations of the D2000s on the MKIII convinved me to let it arrive. I've spent many a night waking up with the cans on because I've just melted listening to the combo.
 
I'm over the moon. It's well burnt in now (150 hours plus) and I've tube rolled in some Mullard 8100s and some Mullard M8161's which are still burning in. Jury is still out on the new tubes.
However the Denons are closed back. I love them for it but I'm left wondering A) what I'm missing with open back cans B) what more sutable higher impedance cans would play like with the LittleDot in comparison.
 
So my buget is £100-£300 for new cans to add, compliment and/or contrast my D2000s. Open backed by preference and >30 ohms to match the LittleDot Tube amp.
 
I like the look and potential pairing of the Senheizer 650's. Am I going to hear an massive improvement vs the 2k's and my little dot?
Also HD600 or HD650? Both are highly rated and said to be different. But which first?
Grado's I understand are also too low impedance to make the LittleDot sing, despite being 30ohms.
So Beier dynamics? AKGs? Other?
 
Where should I go next?
 

Thanks in advance.  


As a complement to the D2000, do you want something that sounds somewhat similar or very different? For something kinda similar, I would go with a Sennheiser. It's got a nice even response across the spectrum and a wide natural soundstage. For something different, the Beyer DT990 or AKG K701, with the former having a pronounced and intense low and high end, and the latter with a mid/uppermid focus.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by muad View Post

Hi all, 

 

I tried my own thread but I didn't get too many responses. Then I saw this thread. So here is what Im looking for...

 

 

I've been on head-fi for awhile now, and have tried a few full size and iems. I need a pair of headphones that is pretty much what I described above and near the $200 dollar range. They can be either open or closed. I prefer a relatively balanced and natural sound. 

 

Very important to me is that the bass is tight and goes deep or certain songs just don't sound right. Drums need a little bit of impact and body.

 

The mids should be just right, I find mids very important for vocals but too much upper mids hurts a little.

 

The highs must be present, Cymabals should sound accurate without being piercing. The treble is definitely the least important factor for me.

 

Sound stage doesn't have to be huge, medium is fine. Imaging and seperation are very important. I love being able to hear clearly seperated instruments and vocals. I can't stand congested music. It is pretty much the definition of a bad headphone to me. Average detail is fine, a little smoothness goes along way to creating a natural sound. Correct timbre? or tone of instruments is also important to me, especially piano, acoustic guitar and drums. Bright headphones make everything sound high pitched and a huge bass hump can make instruments sound deeper then they actually are, I'm not interested in coloration.

 

I generally love "indy" rock that use acoustic instruments. Very little hiphop and techno and quite a few classic rock songs sum up my repertoire. Heres a short list of a few artists that I worship....

 

Arcade fire

Cold war kids

Regina Spektor

The Beatles (psychadellic)

The National

Daft Punk

Beirut

Alicia Keyes

Florence and the Machine

Solid gold

Vampire weekend

 

Oh and I'd like to add, I had some K701's I really enjoyed but it gave me pressure headaches at the ear pads and the sound stage is too big/fake, not intimate enough. :(

 


The first two headphones that came to mind to suit you are the Denon D2000 and Phiaton MS400, though the former is out of your price range. I've got an indepth review of the Phiaton in my profile.

 

post #4873 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinenegro View Post

so what about the k240mk2; same amp choices? What about the Ibasso D2+? Any suggestions from neone else?

 


The K240 is ok from mid-level amps, though consider maybe upping to the D4 or D6 for the extra voltage swing.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by tnecniv View Post

Hey guys, I've been creeping these forums as I've been in the market for some quality headphones since my 5 year old DSP-500s are just about dead.

 

I WILL BE USING AN ONBOARD SOUNDCARD (REALTEK ALC889)

 

What I will be doing:
-Gaming

-Communication (Skype/Ventrilo)

-Music sometimes (indie rock, acoustic, folk rock, power pop, experimental)

 

What I want:

-Noise cancelling (doesn't have to be TOO noise cancelling, just enough so I will be able to hear Skype/Vent clearly)

-Closed back. I live with my girlfriend so I don't want her to have to listen to everything I do while shes in the room.

-COMFORT. I will be wearing them for LONG periods of time. At least 4+ hours a day.

-I also need a microphone. I am planning getting a Zalman Clip-on. Does anyone have any experience with these picking up ceiling fan noise?

-Best bang for the buck. I'm willing to spend up to $120, maybe more if the cans are THAT good.

 

Some headphones I'm looking at:

-JVC HA-RX700

-Creative Aurvana Live

-Sennheiser HD428

-AT A700

-Sony MVR-V6

-Sennheiser PX100

 

Any recommendations and input would be great!


Check out the first post in this thread for a link to a gaming headphones review. Before even seeing your list, the A700 was one of the first that came to mind.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunchies View Post

I just saw the HD25s on Amazon used for $139 by a place named DAHMART. Anyone heard anything about those guys?


Never heard of them... but at that price I would be highly suspicious.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortlendt View Post

Hello! I'm looking for some advice and any help is welcome).

 

I have ATH-M50 and iBasso D4 as a source at job. Lately I find my M50 slightly fatiguing on the bass side. Great cans but their sound signature is not my cup of tea I think.

 

What I'm looking for an upgrade is:

 

1. Warm or neutral sound signature. I actually enjoy spark of my CK10s a lot, though I have some sensitivity to sibilance.

2. Good isolation - few persons are sitting 3 feet from me both ways, can't disturb them (or be disturbed). M50 is great at this.

3. Good comfort - would wish for something like PX100 comfort), okay - M50 comfort is good enough.

4. Rather have bass detail over bass quantity, I'm neither basshead or bass hater, but M50 is tad too bass driven.

5. I have a budget around 200$.

 

What I need is some closed cans. Thought about Denon AH-D2000 but their isolation maybe not so good for me. Sennheiser HD25-1 II and Fischer Audio FA-003 looks like a great pick, but I'm not so sure. Still wish for a warmer sounding cans.

 

Many thanks in advance.

 

Edit: Forgot to add that I listen to a lot of genres, from electro house to pop punk, most of my music is indie and post rock.


A bit outside your budget (maybe you could find it used), but the B&W P5 was the first thing that came to mind. Easily one of the most comfortable and well isolating headphones I've ever worn, and it's an earpad type so if you really liked the PX100 then this should be right up your alley. The sound is neutral, without much emphasis on any particular part of the spectrum, though it did feel a tad rolled off on either end.

 

Closer to budget, the Audio Technica ESW9a is also quite good.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzi123 View Post

Hey,

So I am looking for a good sub $100 pair of closed cans for Rap, Reggae and Hip hop. Any recommendations?


AKG K518

Sony XB500/700

 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by reivaj View Post

man im so conflicted on picking up the tma-1. part of me wants to the other part is afraid of committing the money(money isnt an issue). dont know why i keep falling back on committing to it. Seems like its got extra emphasis on bass but everything when it comes to comparing it to the m50 just makes it seem like another option rather than an upgrade from the m50. decisions decisions


The M50 is a very strong performer in it's price range. If you're staying within that price bracket, most things will be a side-grade rather than upgrade. The best I can suggest for an upgrade is a DT770pro which is the same as the premium version except for a cheaper shell and higher clamp and lower sticker price.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by ionut View Post

 

Hello.

I recently purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD 438. I bought these headphones without having the possibility to listen to them, and now i'm not quite satisfied with the sound. The bass goes deep, but has little impact,treble is nice,but a bit washed out. Previosly i had the Philips HP 2000, which i did not really like because they had really weak treble, almost absent, and boomy bass. Still, when i switched from the Philips's to the Senn's, the 438 seemed to have really weak low's in comparison. The philips's, althought bommy, had a much more punchier bass and the 438's seemed lifeless in comparison. I still prefer the 438, because they have nice detail, and overall a balanced sound, but i'd like a more lively sound. I mostly listen to jazz, soft rock, and electronic. So i'm curios if the Philips HP-890 would be a good replacement for the 438's. Unfortunately i cannot listen to them before buying and i read a lot of good reviews about them. Does someone know how the Philips sound compared to the Senn's? 

Any advice is welcome. 

 


I haven't heard the Philips so I can't compare. If I may offer other suggestions, consider some of the following:

Audio Technica M50

Shure 840

Senn HD25-1-ii

Sony XB500/700

 

 

post #4874 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

I haven't heard the Philips so I can't compare. If I may offer other suggestions, consider some of the following:

Audio Technica M50

Shure 840

Senn HD25-1-ii

Sony XB500/700

 

 

Thanks for the recommendations!

Unfortunately, i am limited only to the Philips HP 890, because i can get them second hand at a good price. I am interested if someone had the chance to listen to both. 

 

 

post #4875 of 29490

Ok guys, quick question.

 

I listen to a lot of guitar oriented music (blues, rock, alternative, some metal, some acoustic). I need a pair of cans that can make my music sound amazing (and preferrably sound decent unamped). Open or closed, I don't mind. I've got a budget of around 180$, and narrowed it down to 2 choices:

 

Denon AD2000

Sennheiser 598

 

How would these two compare for my needs?

 

Thanks a ton.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum