or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 297  

post #4441 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

Get some open headphones then.


So far, my list is narrowed down to this:
KOSS PortaPro (32EUR)
Gamecom367 (28EUR)
Sennheiser HD201 (20 EUR)
Sennheiser HD408 (30EUR)

- They don't have to be closed.
- I'll use them only at home, to hear all kinds of music, play a bit, and possibly make conference calls. But it's not mandatory, they don't need to have a micro. But this is why the Gamecom are on the list.. biggrin.gif

What do you think is better?
post #4442 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGuedes View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

Get some open headphones then.


So far, my list is narrowed down to this:
KOSS PortaPro (32EUR)
Gamecom367 (28EUR)
Sennheiser HD201 (20 EUR)
Sennheiser HD408 (30EUR)

- They don't have to be closed.
- I'll use them only at home, to hear all kinds of music, play a bit, and possibly make conference calls. But it's not mandatory, they don't need to have a micro. But this is why the Gamecom are on the list.. biggrin.gif

What do you think is better?

get the 201. hands down the best value of anything there.
post #4443 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBPR View Post

Hi guys,

I have a $230 max budget, willing to buy from the FS forum here.  I'm looking for an open headphone for general listening, mainly rock/alternative but a bunch of jazz as well, and some orchestral.  Amping/sourcing with a MAV D1.  Suggestions? HD600? DT880?  Others?


Go with a Sennheiser HD600. It's a fine choice and a great all-rounder for various genres.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by veiledaiel View Post

Hey all, been looking around for a while for a good set of cans.  I have been trying to read around and learn as much as I can, but still find myself unable to narrow down my choices.  I have always used crappy ibuds or something similar until a year ago when I got a pair of Beats . . . for free, back off!  I know these are insanely overpriced for their quality, but they are a step in the right direction of becoming an audiophile, and I am selling them and buying a better pair of headphones is my plan.  I am a bit of a pc nerd, saying that to say that I have a pc I built this year with an Asus Xonar DX sound card that I will be using 90% of the time as the source for these.  My budget is $200, pretty solid on that.  I want to use them for a pretty even mix of gaming and music, although I don't play much multi-player shooters or anything, so I don't need amazing gaming headphones, but they will be used for it.  I would rather sacrifice gaming quality to gain music performance.  I listen to a wide mix of music, lots of pop, classical, and a little bit of rap and rock.  I would really prefer closed headphones I am pretty sure, I dont like making other people listen to what I am, but if I will get much better sound from open ones, I am willing to go that route.  And as far as amped or unamped, unamped seems nice for convenience, but once again I'm willing to go amped if it will give me better quality.

 

Sorry if that is too long and vague, but I would really appreciate any help that you can give me, including places to go and read up to make decisions on my own so I don't burden all of you too much.  Thanks again everyone, can't wait to get them!


There's a gaming headphone review linked in the very first post of this huge thread. There are some good suggestions in there that cover both gaming and music listening.

 

Some random suggestions:

Audio Technica A900

Sennheiser HD380

Sony V6 or 7506

Shure 840

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by MGuedes View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

Get some open headphones then.




So far, my list is narrowed down to this:
KOSS PortaPro (32EUR)
Gamecom367 (28EUR)
Sennheiser HD201 (20 EUR)
Sennheiser HD408 (30EUR)

- They don't have to be closed.
- I'll use them only at home, to hear all kinds of music, play a bit, and possibly make conference calls. But it's not mandatory, they don't need to have a micro. But this is why the Gamecom are on the list.. biggrin.gif

What do you think is better?


I was never too crazy about the Koss sound, and I've never heard of Gamecom. I would go with the open Senn on your list (408)

 

post #4444 of 29490

Hi!

 

I am new here. Im trying to find a closed set of headphones in the $100 - $200 range. I dont mind if it requires amping.

 

Ive listened to the Beyer DT 770 and I was impressed, ofcause I am use to my standard iphone earplugs.

 

I will mainly be using them with my Macbook, possibly with an amp at my workplace. I dont want to leak sound.

 

Please help me :-)


Edited by bjensen - 6/6/11 at 12:29pm
post #4445 of 29490

Looking for a nice pair of portable/semi-portable cans.  I'd like ones that at least have the capability where the earpads can rotate and lay flat.

 

I picked up a pair of the AKG K450's and they're okay...but not as good as I'd hoped. 

 

Was looking at the Sennheiser HD25 II-1 and the Beyerdynamic DT1350 comparison Jude did.  I would like a pair that is around the same size as those.  The DT1350 is attractive because it's metal and doesn't look too big.

 

I was also looking at Grados - 225 or 325 - I like the 325 because they're metal and appear fairly durable...but I've never heard them. 

 

I listen to all a lot of vocal stuff, classical, instrumental, some pop, not much rock, no metal. 

 

Obviously I'm all over the place here - any suggestions?  How is the portability of the Grados?  Would the DT1350 be a better choice?  They're both around the same price.  Would like the highest quality possible in an on-the-ear headphone that's portable. Try to stay under $500.


Edited by RHMMMM - 6/6/11 at 12:55pm
post #4446 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHMMMM View Post

Looking for a nice pair of portable/semi-portable cans.  I'd like ones that at least have the capability where the earpads can rotate and lay flat.

 

I picked up a pair of the AKG K450's and they're okay...but not as good as I'd hoped. 

 

Was looking at the Sennheiser HD25 II-1 and the Beyerdynamic DT1350 comparison Jude did.  I would like a pair that is around the same size as those.  The DT1350 is attractive because it's metal and doesn't look too big.

 

I was also looking at Grados - 225 or 325 - I like the 325 because they're metal and appear fairly durable...but I've never heard them. 

 

I listen to all a lot of vocal stuff, classical, instrumental, some pop, not much rock, no metal. 

 

Obviously I'm all over the place here - any suggestions?  How is the portability of the Grados?  Would the DT1350 be a better choice?  They're both around the same price.  Would like the highest quality possible in an on-the-ear headphone that's portable. Try to stay under $500.


The Grados have no isolation and they're louder on the outside than in.  You'll probably ruin your hearing and annoy everyone around you if you try to use them portably.

 

I just got a pair of 1350s and I'm loving them so far.  I mostly listen to metal of various sub genres but the 1350s are fairly neutral so they should go well with just about anything.  Female vocals in my goth/symphonic metal and the little bit of Jpop I listen to are great though.  Far better than any other Beyer I've heard, including the T1.

 

If you want more "lush" or "romantic" vocals the Audio Technica ESW9A or ESW10JPN (this one is discontinued and will probably max out your budget used) might be worth looking into.  I haven't heard them myself, but they're supposed to be mid focused with great vocals.

post #4447 of 29490

Hey guys, extremely new here. I mostly just read and observe, not post.

 

However, I've been listening to massive amounts of Dubstep/Techno/Rave/Electronic/WHATEVERYOUCALLIT lately, and am in dire need of headphones that can handle this genre well. I also don't know anything about amps and am interested in possibly investing in a good one. My budget is around 100$. Higher, if I'm buying an amp, too, obviously.

 

Right now I am thinkin about the Sony MDRXB500 or MDRXB900's. Any opinions on which is better there? Any other options?

 

Thanks.

post #4448 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by shniernan View Post

Hey guys, extremely new here. I mostly just read and observe, not post.

 

However, I've been listening to massive amounts of Dubstep/Techno/Rave/Electronic/WHATEVERYOUCALLIT lately, and am in dire need of headphones that can handle this genre well. I also don't know anything about amps and am interested in possibly investing in a good one. My budget is around 100$. Higher, if I'm buying an amp, too, obviously.

 

Right now I am thinkin about the Sony MDRXB500 or MDRXB900's. Any opinions on which is better there? Any other options?


The XB700s are great for that sort of stuff if you listen quietly.  Their Achilles' heel is that they usually break up in to crap if you listen loudly.  A strong amp will give you a little more clean volume though.

post #4449 of 29490

I'm looking to make my first full-size headphone purchase. Since I'm not quite sure how much I'll use them, I'm looking at a budget of around $50.

 


Few quick details on my listening;

-Generally indie, blues, jazz, classic rock, some underground rap

-Looking for a fairly balanced sound (don't want booming bass)

-Portability doesn't matter (have a set of IEM's for that)

-Noise cancelling or sound leaks don't matter (will generally be using them at home)

 

What do you guys think is the "best bang for the buck" in terms of sound, given the aforementioned details?

post #4450 of 29490

I tried out the HD280s in a couple of stores around here and found them oddly enjoyable to listen too, as I was expecting them to be flatter. The build quality seemed pretty solid despite being made of plastic. They felt like they could take a beating.

 

However, I've actually heard about issues with the headband cracking, and the earpads degrading very quickly, an experience I've already had with Sennheisers and don't wish to repeat.

 

I couldn't find the Sony V6 or 7506/9 to try out however. 

 

I don't really want to risk the build quality issues, is there anyone else here that can confirm either their quality or likelyhood to break?

 

 

Also, are there any more suggestions? I'm looking for a very solidly built set of headphones for tracking guitars, bass and keyboards and mixing my own music. Accurate reproduction of sound is essential for this, but I'd like them to be enjoyable to listen to as well, although, as I said, I actually found the 280's to be fun enough.

 

Price range is in the AU$200-AU$400 range, willing to buy online if I can find them in a store first. They'll be used to listen to anything from jazz to blues to prog metal to hardstyle as well as bit of gaming too and,obviously, mixing and recording music.

post #4451 of 29490

I own the HD280 pros (black ones) actually and I use them for exactly what u mentioned (gaming, monitoring and i listen to the same genres). Im a guitarist as well and I use these senns for monitoring purposes. I have my fa-002w for listening to music now but these cans are still very good for listening. They are extremely durable. I would say they're built like a tank (dont let the plastic fool u XP ) have ahd no problems with them so far and I used to take them out everyday. Get them online as places like JB hifi jack prices up so bad here in aus =.=
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinic View Post

I tried out the HD280s in a couple of stores around here and found them oddly enjoyable to listen too, as I was expecting them to be flatter. The build quality seemed pretty solid despite being made of plastic. They felt like they could take a beating.

 

However, I've actually heard about issues with the headband cracking, and the earpads degrading very quickly, an experience I've already had with Sennheisers and don't wish to repeat.

 

I couldn't find the Sony V6 or 7506/9 to try out however. 

 

I don't really want to risk the build quality issues, is there anyone else here that can confirm either their quality or likelyhood to break?

 

 

Also, are there any more suggestions? I'm looking for a very solidly built set of headphones for tracking guitars, bass and keyboards and mixing my own music. Accurate reproduction of sound is essential for this, but I'd like them to be enjoyable to listen to as well, although, as I said, I actually found the 280's to be fun enough.

 

Price range is in the AU$200-AU$400 range, willing to buy online if I can find them in a store first. They'll be used to listen to anything from jazz to blues to prog metal to hardstyle as well as bit of gaming too and,obviously, mixing and recording music.



 

post #4452 of 29490

I'm looking for some suggestions on a headphone at work. I'm not looking for high end. I'm looking for something that doesn't drown out all environmental noise as is the case with in ear monitors. I want circum aural, as i wear glasses and supra aural will just hurt my ears. I listen at very low volumes and don't wish to get warm ears. So semi open should be ok. I have a pair of sony pfr-v1's which I love as it really feels like it's a speaker and i can still hear the surrounding. But I feel that: 1. I will bother my colleagues with that headphone 2. I will look silly. Again, cheap is good. I'm not looking for sound quality. Anything that is a bit balanced is ok (and by balanced i mean no overly heavy bass, which i have grown to hate).

post #4453 of 29490


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinic View Post

I tried out the HD280s in a couple of stores around here and found them oddly enjoyable to listen too, as I was expecting them to be flatter. The build quality seemed pretty solid despite being made of plastic. They felt like they could take a beating.

 

However, I've actually heard about issues with the headband cracking, and the earpads degrading very quickly, an experience I've already had with Sennheisers and don't wish to repeat.

 

I couldn't find the Sony V6 or 7506/9 to try out however. 

 

I don't really want to risk the build quality issues, is there anyone else here that can confirm either their quality or likelyhood to break?

 

 

Also, are there any more suggestions? I'm looking for a very solidly built set of headphones for tracking guitars, bass and keyboards and mixing my own music. Accurate reproduction of sound is essential for this, but I'd like them to be enjoyable to listen to as well, although, as I said, I actually found the 280's to be fun enough.

 

Price range is in the AU$200-AU$400 range, willing to buy online if I can find them in a store first. They'll be used to listen to anything from jazz to blues to prog metal to hardstyle as well as bit of gaming too and,obviously, mixing and recording music.


Like you, I tried the Sennheiser HD280s early on in my audio career. They broke and I had to return them.

However, considering your price range, I advise you to look into orthodynamic headphones. I assure you they will not disappoint.

Specifically, I will recommend you the Fostex T50RP, a great choice for your needs and purposes.

 

I recommend that you do research in these threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/1680#post_7523439  (Fostex T50RP)

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/111193/orthodynamic-roundup/17370#post_7523575. (Orthodynamics)

 

This is how I started (and finished) my journey in headphones.

 

Through proper research, the best cost-value in headphones can be found. In my experience, the end-all-be-all of all headphone purchases was made early with a minimal investment.

I am all about cost-efficiency, and as you know, this goes against the Head-Fi saying, "Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet!"

 

You will have to purchase other materials to properly modify the T50RPs, but do not let this sway you. There are incredible rewards to be had when modifying these orthodynamic headphones.

 

I encourage you to do the research, as I was suggested to do when I first joined Head-Fi.

post #4454 of 29490

How good are the Fostex for monitoring purposes? I was actually quite curious about the Fostex for awhile. If they're flat enough for monitoring I might get them to replace my old HD280Pros.

post #4455 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by justie View Post

How good are the Fostex for monitoring purposes? I was actually quite curious about the Fostex for awhile. If they're flat enough for monitoring I might get them to replace my old HD280Pros.



They are originally intended for monitoring. If you look at Fostex's website, these headphones are designed as professional studio monitors. In my experience with both the HD280s and the Fostex, I would say the Fostex outperforms the HD280s in every way possible. Hard to imagine, but you will see (hear) for yourself if you do decide to order these headphones.

 

Best,

Mangoloid

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum