or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 294  

post #4396 of 29490

Do you guys think I should get the HD598 or HD558?  Money's not a huge issue, but if there's not a huge difference between the two, then I don't wanna spend the extra money.

post #4397 of 29490

Alright... I've decided to jump into the audiophile pool without any swim lessons. I've been thinking about getting one of these:

Sennheiser HD598

Sennheiser HD600

Ultrasone HFI-2400

I biggest qualm with the sennheisers are the fact one of the headphones are "dynamic" while the 598 is not.  Oddly enough amazon lists the predecessor, the 595 as dynamic.  To be honest I'm not even sure what that means.  As you can see I prefer open headphones... A thing I've discovered back in the days of owning a lower end Koss.  I generally listen to prog, rock, blues, metal, mixed in with electronica and dubstep.  Which of these would offer me the best sound with a emphasis on on rock. (Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, and others from the period.)  

 

I would love to get an amp for the headphones as well.  This I'm willing to leave it off if the prices goes above ~180 USD.  

I am tentatively looking at the Hi-Fi Man EF2A or a NuForce Icon uDAC-2.  I'm not sure which one would be better for me.  This setup would not be portable and would probably never leave my room.  I would most likely be plugged into my computer.  I've got pretty much no clue as to which one would better for me at this point.  I've heard that tube amps do give a "warmer" sound, but at my rather noobish level would I really notice the difference?  Feel free to berate me for my inexperience. 

 

Thanks in advance. 

 

EDIT: My budge is about 500 dollars for both the headphones and amp. 


Edited by MegaMushroom - 6/3/11 at 2:01pm
post #4398 of 29490

Hmmm... unfortunately it seems due to some unforeseen financial problems, my budget has been cut from $150 to $100 :( Is there still a chance that I can still find some sweet closed cans under that price that would work good with my genres?

 

and, like I said, feedback about HD 202 vs. HD 203 would be much appreciated (I know, I know, I've been a bit importune about the whole thing, but I'd really like to know soon... I'll stop now, I swear!)

post #4399 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedudez View Post

Do you guys think I should get the HD598 or HD558?  Money's not a huge issue, but if there's not a huge difference between the two, then I don't wanna spend the extra money.


Just get the 558, take out the foam strip and you're 90% of the way there.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMushroom View Post

Alright... I've decided to jump into the audiophile pool without any swim lessons. I've been thinking about getting one of these:

Sennheiser HD598

Sennheiser HD600

Ultrasone HFI-2400

I biggest qualm with the sennheisers are the fact one of the headphones are "dynamic" while the 598 is not.  Oddly enough amazon lists the predecessor, the 595 as dynamic.  To be honest I'm not even sure what that means.  As you can see I prefer open headphones... A thing I've discovered back in the days of owning a lower end Koss.  I generally listen to prog, rock, blues, metal, mixed in with electronica and dubstep.  Which of these would offer me the best sound with a emphasis on on rock. (Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, and others from the period.)  

 

I would love to get an amp for the headphones as well.  This I'm willing to leave it off if the prices goes above ~180 USD.  

I am tentatively looking at the Hi-Fi Man EF2A or a NuForce Icon uDAC-2.  I'm not sure which one would be better for me.  This setup would not be portable and would probably never leave my room.  I would most likely be plugged into my computer.  I've got pretty much no clue as to which one would better for me at this point.  I've heard that tube amps do give a "warmer" sound, but at my rather noobish level would I really notice the difference?  Feel free to berate me for my inexperience. 

 

Thanks in advance. 

 

EDIT: My budge is about 500 dollars for both the headphones and amp. 


Those are all dynamic headphones. It's just a descriptive buzzword for the most part. All drivers are more or less the same unless you start getting into the oddball electrostatics and orthodynamics/planar magnets, which all cost a pretty penny more with the exception of the Fostex orthos.

 

I would suggest the HD598 as the best all-rounder (or mod the 558 for cheaper), and you won't need a crazy strong amp for it either. Go ampless or whatever nice usb dac/amp fits within your budget.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiKuznetsov View Post

Hmmm... unfortunately it seems due to some unforeseen financial problems, my budget has been cut from $150 to $100 :( Is there still a chance that I can still find some sweet closed cans under that price that would work good with my genres?

 

and, like I said, feedback about HD 202 vs. HD 203 would be much appreciated (I know, I know, I've been a bit importune about the whole thing, but I'd really like to know soon... I'll stop now, I swear!)


I haven't heard the HD202/203, but have heard several similar models within that range. Good bang for the buck under budget would actually be the small earpad ones: PX100-ii, PX200-ii, or HD228/238. For a really nice closed circumaural, consider the Shure 440.

 

post #4400 of 29490

Hi people! Finally decided to make a post as I'm ready to upgrade over my stuff. Now using HD595 for a couple of years. Had a brief time with Beats Studios, just for fun, and after reading all the comments about them here I know that my opinion couldn't be wrong, even after all this hype surrounding them.

Well about my taste? Definitely not a basshead but still liking good and clear bass, preferably not distracting mids and highs though. Could say that maybe up to 35-40% of my music is Electronic, this includes dubstep/dnb, and the rest split evenly between Hip-Hop, Rock, Instrumental, Metal, Pop, Dance and other stuff. I like to listen to all kinds of music and don't really stay in one or two genres. 

 

The budget is around 400$, counting only headphones as I will get amp rather sooner than later but wanted to do the first step with good headphones. These will be only for home use. Also wanted to try some other brands other than Sennheiser as I find mine just too plain and definitely not 'fun'.

 

The design is not that important, good pair of cans must sound good first for me.

 

I've looked at Beyers DT880/990, Ultrasone PRO900, Hifiman He-4. These were my choices just to consider. 

 

Will be grateful for any input concerning them, pros and cons, how easy are to drive, maybe someone with similar taste tried them already and could give me some advice?

Thanks for any help people! 

 

post #4401 of 29490

If you're looking at orthos and considering an amp soon, you could just swing for the HE-4 + EF5 combo...

post #4402 of 29490

I've opened a thread yesterday but didn't get a reply so I'm gonna try it here :)

 

Hey head-fiers,

 

I'm looking for another pair of cans that I is driven well by an iPod (actually it's a Zune, but that shouldn't make a big difference) without the need for an external amplifier. Price shouldn't be much higher than 200€ (250$) Hopefully, some of you guys can help me find something.

 

I mainly listen to Electro/Dubstep, Rock (e.g.Muse, Hard-Fi), Alternative (Bloc Party, Arctic Monkeys), so these are the genres that the headphones should shine at.

 

I don't really care whether they are closed or open-back, so far I usually use my Phiaton MS 400 on the train/plane, and would probably use the new headphones mainly at home. I thought about getting the Grado Sr225i or the Ultrasone HFI 2400 cans, but I have not yet had an opportunity to try them out.

 

Considering the information you have, which headphones would you guys recommend? If there's any more information you need, just let me know. Thanks a lot!

post #4403 of 29490

Umms, any links on Auditioning guides?
I don't wanna bug the people out by listening too long.

post #4404 of 29490

Starting to think I should have posted my thread (as a post) on here instead... whoops.

 

here it is anyway

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/556072/at-ad700-eq-tweakable-also-a700-related 

 

genereal gist: want headphones for mostly movie/vid use, some music use. All-rounders. Listens to all music, having tested out the a700s I'm settling on them, they sound quite nice with rock/metal and they're a big step up from my 202s. I do want some soundstage and I think these are fine, managed to test ihem out on a top gear vid, nothing wrong. Want to get the ad700s (cheaper in my Australia- where I'm from), but I'm not sure if I can live without those boosted lower frequencies.

post #4405 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

The HD438 is better in the bass. You might also consider an AKG K518.

 

Isn't the 438 a lower-end model? How do the highs and mids compare to the 448?
 

 

post #4406 of 29490

looking for a pair of full sized closed headphones for my sister's birthday (she hinted she wants beats but i told her 'No.' XD) anyway, she lsitens mainly to pop so im not sure what to get her since i personally prefer more neutral sounding cans. Anybody with good recommendations for a good entry level set of cans that sound good with mainstream pop? my budget right now is around $90 max $100. (her first upgrade from ibuds so im not gonna get her anything too good XP) Thanks for any advice u can give :)

post #4407 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by justie View Post

looking for a pair of full sized closed headphones for my sister's birthday (she hinted she wants beats but i told her 'No.' XD) anyway, she lsitens mainly to pop so im not sure what to get her since i personally prefer more neutral sounding cans. Anybody with good recommendations for a good entry level set of cans that sound good with mainstream pop? my budget right now is around $90 max $100. (her first upgrade from ibuds so im not gonna get her anything too good XP) Thanks for any advice u can give :)



Any idea why she was hinting at Beats? Has she heard them and likes the sound, or just seen them and likes the styling, or just wants the "hip" factor of the branding? While they're universally (within the forum) regarded as being a poor value (too much money for what you get), sometimes it could be the only thing that really meets whatever requirements there are (other than cost, of course, hehe). Trying to get an idea of what she sees in them can help people here suggest potential options that she's got a good chance of hopefully liking.

post #4408 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by scompton View Post



 

Some of the headphones on that thread are full sized.  They either fold up or have short cables to make them compatible with portables devices in a pocket.  For instance, the last 2 reviews he added are both full sized, circumaural headphones.
 

 


Well, I looked at the thread again, and I initially got pretty excited to find a couple of headphones that fit my budget (50$/35€), and apparently sound pretty good: the Prodipe Pro800, the JVC HA-M750, and the Audio Technica ATH-M30. Then I got a lot less excited when I couldn't find any of them at any e-shops in my country (I'm from Romania), with the exception of the Audio Technica ATH-M30, which are priced at 70-100$ over here.

 

I guess it's back to my original question: which one to choose, the Pionner SE-M290, or the Sennheiser HD202?

post #4409 of 29490


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndromez View Post

I've opened a thread yesterday but didn't get a reply so I'm gonna try it here :)

 

Hey head-fiers,

 

I'm looking for another pair of cans that I is driven well by an iPod (actually it's a Zune, but that shouldn't make a big difference) without the need for an external amplifier. Price shouldn't be much higher than 200€ (250$) Hopefully, some of you guys can help me find something.

 

I mainly listen to Electro/Dubstep, Rock (e.g.Muse, Hard-Fi), Alternative (Bloc Party, Arctic Monkeys), so these are the genres that the headphones should shine at.

 

I don't really care whether they are closed or open-back, so far I usually use my Phiaton MS 400 on the train/plane, and would probably use the new headphones mainly at home. I thought about getting the Grado Sr225i or the Ultrasone HFI 2400 cans, but I have not yet had an opportunity to try them out.

 

Considering the information you have, which headphones would you guys recommend? If there's any more information you need, just let me know. Thanks a lot!


M-audio Q40 is great for electro/dubstep music and has a somewhat similar sound to the MS400. The Beyer DT770/880/990 series is also good, but likes a bit more juice than what an ipod/zune can handle. Are you looking for something similar sounding, or different? Something like the Sennheiser HD598 would be different yet a competent all-rounded.

 

Grado and Ultrasone are two brands that I highly recommend as try before you buy (that goes for all headphones really, but those two brands especially).


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkat View Post

Umms, any links on Auditioning guides?
I don't wanna bug the people out by listening too long.


I don't think so. The main thing is to just be prepared. Have a playlist with some test tracks that represent your favourite songs/genres as well as some songs that cover a good range of sounds, even those you may not typically listen to. Be familiar with the music so you know what to listen for. Go during a non-busy time so the store will be less noisy.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundfracture View Post

Starting to think I should have posted my thread (as a post) on here instead... whoops.

 

here it is anyway

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/556072/at-ad700-eq-tweakable-also-a700-related 

 

genereal gist: want headphones for mostly movie/vid use, some music use. All-rounders. Listens to all music, having tested out the a700s I'm settling on them, they sound quite nice with rock/metal and they're a big step up from my 202s. I do want some soundstage and I think these are fine, managed to test ihem out on a top gear vid, nothing wrong. Want to get the ad700s (cheaper in my Australia- where I'm from), but I'm not sure if I can live without those boosted lower frequencies.


How about the best of both worlds... get the AD700 and mod the grills to make them semi-closed to give you that extra bass oomph?

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by robmacros View Post



Isn't the 438 a lower-end model? How do the highs and mids compare to the 448?
 

 


The detailing (what most people consider the highs) on the 448 is *slightly* better, but honestly most people won't be able to tell the difference. Mids roughly same from what I recall. The bass on the 438 though is very noticeably stronger than the 448.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justie View Post

looking for a pair of full sized closed headphones for my sister's birthday (she hinted she wants beats but i told her 'No.' XD) anyway, she lsitens mainly to pop so im not sure what to get her since i personally prefer more neutral sounding cans. Anybody with good recommendations for a good entry level set of cans that sound good with mainstream pop? my budget right now is around $90 max $100. (her first upgrade from ibuds so im not gonna get her anything too good XP) Thanks for any advice u can give :)


Sony XB500 or 700 is a pretty safe bet and will have the same accentuated bass as the Beats but are significantly less muddy.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy5 View Post




Well, I looked at the thread again, and I initially got pretty excited to find a couple of headphones that fit my budget (50$/35€), and apparently sound pretty good: the Prodipe Pro800, the JVC HA-M750, and the Audio Technica ATH-M30. Then I got a lot less excited when I couldn't find any of them at any e-shops in my country (I'm from Romania), with the exception of the Audio Technica ATH-M30, which are priced at 70-100$ over here.

 

I guess it's back to my original question: which one to choose, the Pionner SE-M290, or the Sennheiser HD202?


I'm just going to take a shot in the dark and say the HD202. I've tried a few budget minded Pioneers and Sennheiser (though not those two specifically) and generally liked the Senns more.

 

post #4410 of 29490

First post here, saw this thread, making post.

 

I want to get a nice set for my PC to use with Dolby Headphone.

By set I mean soundcard+headphone.

I think the Asus Xonar DG is a good choice for the soundcard, as it's around €23 over here, has a headphone amp built-in (pretty sure that is a good thing) and supports Dolby Headphone.

 

As for the headphone, I have no idea. My price range would be something like €50-€100, but I can go to about €125 if it's really needed for what I want.

As what I want is this: (It would be nice if all of the wants are possible, but they are wants, and not needs, so I can compromise here and there)

 

-Good for Dolby Headphone gaming

-Isolated

-Portable, to be taken with in a rucksack (foldable?), I can't stand earbuds in my ears

-Useable with an Android phone once in a while

-Robust, shouldn't break easily

-Good for most music except RnB/Rap. I mainly listen classic rock/electronic.

-Over the ear (this is a must, really, as I don't like on-ear phone on prolonged (gaming) sessions

 

I hope this is possible, but, as I said, I can compromise here and there.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum