or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 243  

post #3631 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by music is life67 View Post

ultrasone pro 550 or hfi 780



780. No reason.

post #3632 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post


 


Hi - I can help on the AD700.

 

[1] IMO the bass on the AD700 is OK - it's definitely not earth shattering, or in any way massive - but I find it clean and clear.  It's definitely lighter than my other cans (especially noticeable after wearing my SRH 840's).  But if all you have is the AD700's - you will get used to the bass signature, and it will be present, detailed and OK.  The sound stage and clarity is pretty good for cans at this price.

 

[2] The comfort is great (winged system).  They are very light.  If you have a small 'noggin', try using a rubber band between the two wings to pull them together.  It increases the clamp - and will help with the fit.

 

[3] Neither can needs amplification.  Saying that though, I bought an E7 (mainly for the DAC), and it does help.  The 3 stage bass boost is great with the AD700 if you want a little more bass (for movies etc).  It's a nice cheap option - and will be better than your onboard sound.

 

If you get the chance - it might pay to see if you can go somewhere to demo both the M50 and AD700.  Hearing for yourself is worth it.  If you do this - demo the AD700 first.  Otherwise you'll get underwhelmed with the AD700 bass compared to M50.  They are two very different sound signatures (and yes I've heard both).

 

For gaming - the AD700 should be ideal - I really enjoy mine.


Thank you for the response!

 

Yeah, I was looking at the mod on here for making the headphone fit the population with smaller heads. 

 

I'm hoping my local bestbuy has them (Google couldn't fine any stores that carried the the AD700 by name but I stumbled upon them on the bestbuy website.) 

 

Next up is the amp, the difference in sound a $100 e7 is going to make, is it really that significant? (I know this is a mistake to ask on an Audiophile forum) I can adjust the bass on the stereo system I have here as well as on winamp. I am intrigued by the DAC though.

 

post #3633 of 29490

Thank you so much Armaegis! Being able to read reviews and comparisons for specific phones really helped me figure out more about what I'm looking for...


The Pro900 sounds amazing. The other big competitor that caught my eye was the FA-003? Folks sounded pretty hyped about them, how do you guys think these two would stack up? I know the Fischers probably wouldn't create as much of a sense of volume at a low level, but I'm ok with the (apparently?) more neutral, less bass-driven tone.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post




 

I think an ultrasone might work well for you. They are fairly comfortable, isolate well, are well built, are easy to drive, tend to dip in the upper ranges, and their S-logic typically creates the sense of volume without having to actually turn it up.  I've heard a bunch of their midrange models which all share the same characteristics. The Pro900 is the top of the line closed model (before you get into the crazy expensive Edition models) and is within your budget.

 

Some other models to look at:

Sennheiser HD380 - comfy, great isolation, comes with case

Shure 840 - sturdy, bassy, relaxed sound



 

post #3634 of 29490


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomShortGuy View Post




Thank you for the response!

 

Yeah, I was looking at the mod on here for making the headphone fit the population with smaller heads. 

 

I'm hoping my local bestbuy has them (Google couldn't fine any stores that carried the the AD700 by name but I stumbled upon them on the bestbuy website.) 

 

Next up is the amp, the difference in sound a $100 e7 is going to make, is it really that significant? (I know this is a mistake to ask on an Audiophile forum) I can adjust the bass on the stereo system I have here as well as on winamp. I am intrigued by the DAC though.

 


You'll get one or two comments about Fiio making 'toys' - compared to the bigger name dac/amps.  Just ignore them - I think Fiio's products provide great value for money - especially as an entry.  It's something you really need to try and decide for yourself. 

 

Personally - the E7 made a difference for me as a DAC (I only have onboard sound - both PC and laptop) - and it's portability makes it a winner.  To my ears, music is now clearer and cleaner.  There is more separation to instruments - and bass has a slightly better impact.

 

The thing I also like about the E7 is it's use as a portable amp.  It's not overly powerful - but again - iPod Touch G4 -> LOD -> H/P - I noticed a difference, mainly clarity and separation.  There was not as much difference with my IEM's than the cans (AD700 & SRH840).

 

Was it worth it?  To me yes.  Is the difference huge?  No - not really - but it's enough for a relatively cheap investment.  Let's face it, in NZ I'd easily have to pay $150+ NZD for a decent sound card anyway.  This also gives me portability and can be added to (see next paragraph).

 

I'll probably get the E9 next - as my next H/P will probably include Beyers or higher Senns which will need decent amping.  At that stage - the E7 will stay permanently paired to the E9 for the desktop.  And I'll likely try the upcoming E11 as a portable amp.

 

Short answer - you don't need it - but it's not a badly priced entry point if you want to try a dac/amp.  The difference - only you and your ears will be able to tell if it's $100 value.

post #3635 of 29490

 

So... To be rather direct, I need to replace my M50's. After unfortunate sequence of events, the right joint shattered and damaged the wire in the right cup. I was able to reassemble them, but the sound in the right side is very weak. So, I'm looking for suggestions on a set of headphones, if the general consensus is to just get another pair of M-50's, I can do that too. 

-They need to be at least relatively portable, my K271 mkii's aren't even close to meeting this criteria.

-Circumaural

-A Good-level of bass as I tend to listen to rap, dubstep and general electronic musics when I'm on the move

-Preferably, they do not need an amp

-Closed

-I appreciate a simple appearance though it's not necessary

-Budget of sub-$350, though that's a bit of monetary stretch once we get to the upper end of the spectrum

-But most importantly of all is durability

 

Any and all suggestions are welcome. 

Thank-you

post #3636 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplice View Post

 

So... To be rather direct, I need to replace my M50's. After unfortunate sequence of events, the right joint shattered and damaged the wire in the right cup. I was able to reassemble them, but the sound in the right side is very weak. So, I'm looking for suggestions on a set of headphones, if the general consensus is to just get another pair of M-50's, I can do that too. 

-They need to be at least relatively portable, my K271 mkii's aren't even close to meeting this criteria.

-Circumaural

-A Good-level of bass as I tend to listen to rap, dubstep and general electronic musics when I'm on the move

-Preferably, they do not need an amp

-Closed

-I appreciate a simple appearance though it's not necessary

-Budget of sub-$350, though that's a bit of monetary stretch once we get to the upper end of the spectrum

-But most importantly of all is durability

 

Any and all suggestions are welcome. 

Thank-you



You can try the Ultrasone HFI 580/DJ1. IMO, it sounds better and more detailed than the M50s with more forward bass and mids. Has a bigger soundstage too, and fulfills all your requirements. If you crave for something more with your budget, you can go for the Pro series instead.

post #3637 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by crinacle View Post





You can try the Ultrasone HFI 580/DJ1. IMO, it sounds better and more detailed than the M50s with more forward bass and mids. Has a bigger soundstage too, and fulfills all your requirements. If you crave for something more with your budget, you can go for the Pro series instead.



Thank-you very much, out of the two I would go for the hfi-580, though the pro550's are nice too. Suggestions are still welcome as it's going to be awhile 'till I raise the funds necessary to get a new pair of headphones.

post #3638 of 29490
How are the dj1 pros compared to the hfi 780 or the pro 550
post #3639 of 29490

Bleh, I hate being the last post on a page, everyone misses it >>'. I'm just gonna c/p my questions from before, sorry, I've been trying to get info here for 2 days now with no success lol.



 

Quote:
I'm new to quality headphones (as I've only used cheap junkers thus far) and have no experience with them. I'm looking for headphones suited for epic/anthem trance, headphones that pronounce that uplifting and vitalizing sensation. I want the very best of the best that I can find (for it's cheapest available price) under USD$160. I use this music to aid in my meditation, I'll spend hours completely out of my mind zoning to the melody. Headphones to help further the euphoric sensation the music gives would be great. :)

I've done alot of research and heard that the m50's are a great deal, but elsewhere I've read they are a tad muddy with poor "soundstage". I couldn't know anything of the manner, but if these headphones are best and help me feel at the center/surrounded by the music, I'll be happy, If not, please point me in the right direction. =)

Here are some examples of the kind of music I want treated:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTHrIPHCBK4&feature=BFa&list=PL57183341C9ADA4F5&index=2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d34hJwMhVto&feature=BFa&list=PL57183341C9ADA4F5&index=30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoLJ4CWSLSI&feature=BFa&list=PL57183341C9ADA4F5&index=7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn7XKZ729vM&feature=BFp&list=PL57183341C9ADA4F5&index=56


(On a sidenote I read in a couple threads people were getting m50's for 94$ from authorized dealers, I went to the same websites and the price is 70$ higher now. Why did the price jump so bad? Cheapest I can find is 125$)

Thanks =)

 

post #3640 of 29490

what are D2000 like for leakage? i am looking at getting a set of them for my underground hip hop and want something with a somewhat bassy and overall fun sound signature, something completely different to my K702s. from what i have read the D2000s seem to fit the bill. But i hear that they isolate poorly. i would put some Jmoney pads on them which i hear goes someway to improving isolation, but i still worried about sound leakage as i may be using these out and about a fair bit and dont want to be that guy everyone hates.

 

post #3641 of 29490


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritlake View Post

Thank you so much Armaegis! Being able to read reviews and comparisons for specific phones really helped me figure out more about what I'm looking for...


The Pro900 sounds amazing. The other big competitor that caught my eye was the FA-003? Folks sounded pretty hyped about them, how do you guys think these two would stack up? I know the Fischers probably wouldn't create as much of a sense of volume at a low level, but I'm ok with the (apparently?) more neutral, less bass-driven tone.

 


I have never heard Fischer headphones, so I'm afraid I can't offer any advice there. They seem to be getting a fair bit of press here and seem to rate favourably in their weoght class, so hopefully someone else can chime in.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by music is life67 View Post

How are the dj1 pros compared to the hfi 780 or the pro 550


I've heard the Ortofon O-One which is reportedy a rebranded DJ1 and thought it was ok, and to my ear was similar to the 550. Sonically, I peferred the 650 model.

 

post #3642 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surruk View Post

what are D2000 like for leakage? i am looking at getting a set of them for my underground hip hop and want something with a somewhat bassy and overall fun sound signature, something completely different to my K702s. from what i have read the D2000s seem to fit the bill. But i hear that they isolate poorly. i would put some Jmoney pads on them which i hear goes someway to improving isolation, but i still worried about sound leakage as i may be using these out and about a fair bit and dont want to be that guy everyone hates.

 


They'll still leak sound through their "vents" which are essential for their bass tuning.

post #3643 of 29490
So many pages...
Anyway, for portable use, my budget is up to 350$ CDN/US
I listen mainly to rock and techno.
I've seen a few interesting headphones:
ATH-A900 (Apparently they're not even remotely close to portable but I was wondering why. The pictures I saw didn't make them look that big....)
ATH-M50
Grado SR325is (I heard that they might not be very suitable to techno)
Sennheiser HD 598
Sennheiser HD 25-1 II


I may be getting a minibox e+ as a portable amp or FiiO E11 if they ever release it and I can get my hands on it but currently have a FiiO E5.
Source will be an iPod fat rock boxed.
Not sure what I should get in terms of headphones >.<<br />
Edited by GL1TCH3D - 5/1/11 at 9:10pm
post #3644 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1TCH3D View Post

So many pages...
Anyway, for portable use, my budget is up to 350$ CDN/US
I listen mainly to rock and techno.
I've seen a few interesting headphones:
ATH-A900 (Apparently they're not even remotely close to portable but I was wondering why. The pictures I saw didn't make them look that big....)
ATH-M50
Grado SR325is (I heard that they might not be very suitable to techno)
Sennheiser HD 598
Sennheiser HD 25-1 II


I may be getting a minibox e+ as a portable amp or FiiO E11 if they ever release it and I can get my hands on it but currently have a FiiO E5.
Source will be an iPod fat rock boxed.
Not sure what I should get in terms of headphones >.<


For portable use off that list, I would only consider the M50 and HD25 (and my vote goes to the HD25). The others are too big and/or or do not fold up for transport.

 

The wing system on the A900 is really what makes it non-portable (nevermind that it really is *big*).

post #3645 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post




For portable use off that list, I would only consider the M50 and HD25 (and my vote goes to the HD25). The others are too big and/or or do not fold up for transport.

 

The wing system on the A900 is really what makes it non-portable (nevermind that it really is *big*).


Folding isn't a problem for me (I have a lot of locker space). My main concerns for portability are sound isolation, being able to be driven with a portable source + small amp and that it won't be bobbing as I walk. I always have lots of space on my locker and in my bag for big headphones (unless they're gigantic which is what people are saying about the a900s).

I also forgot to mention ultrasone pro 900 (may be getting in on a bulk order which would keep it within my price range).

Out of the
Pro900
HD25
SR325is
HD598

Which would you recommend for my criteria (you kind of didn't talk about the grados and hd 598)? Because the HD25s seem to fit my criteria well but if I can trade off a bit of portability for better sound quality I will.
I apologize if I'm coming across as demanding.
Edited by GL1TCH3D - 5/1/11 at 9:35pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum