or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 242  

post #3616 of 29490

@ quietstorm: have you tried listening to HD 25-1 IIs?

 

they might be right for your budget but i havent tried them, just read that they are quite good.
I owned Senn HD-215s and they isolated really well, but they aren't quite at the same level as the ones you mentioned. Cheaper though.

 

Hey guys, I'm trying to be pursuaded (or not pursuaded) into buying some good condition Pioneer SE-700s from ebay. Just wondering how piezos sound compared to modern 'phones and how they'd be for portable use with an amp and such?

post #3617 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surruk View Post

anyone have any experience with ESW9 and EM7 clip ons by audio technica? im looking for a decent portable headphone and was wondering what sound qualities these had.

 

 


The ESW9 is a great portable. Airy texture to the sound, not bright, leaning ever so slightly to the warm side, comfortable, very light clamp, average isolation.

 



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudie View Post

Hi,

I am fairly new to Head-fi, and I am trying to find some headphones under these criteria:

Must be under $200.

Will be used primarily on the train for a couple of hours.

Must not leak much sound( don't want to annoy people around me).

Looking for headphones that are comfortable while wearing glasses.

Looking for headphones that sound good playing music like: Radiohead,Massive Attack,NIN,Erykah Badu, Jay-Z( Headphones that can handle a variety of music).

No amp requirement.

Headphones that can be used with iPod touch, cell phone (does not have to have mic or remote).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!



Phiaton MS 400 (A bit iffy on isolation)
AIAIAI TMA-1 (Very comfy, good isolation, good for example artist, but hard to call an all rounder)
Sennheiser HD 25-1 II (Very good isolation, comfort with glasses is very debatable)


The MS400 has decent isolation, but not as good as the HD25-1-ii. Some other headphones with strong isolation to consider: Senn HD280 and 380, B&W P5, Beyer DT770.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by xallarap View Post

 

Would you recommend ultrasone hfi-580 for rock? I am looking at $150 or less headphones and I find it very interesting based on what people said here. I am going to use it with my iPod Touch 4 unamped. I listen mostly to Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, The Killers, Incubus, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and a little of rap/RNB here and there. Basically, I am planning to use it as a transportable headphone as I have the s4 for my daily commute. Thanks. 


It should be fine. Buy and be happy.

 

post #3618 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstorm View Post

 

Hey guys,

 

I just listened to the HD 650, HD 598, and HFI 780 all with amplification from Fostex PH-100 and Denon AH-D2000 without amplification yesterday at a store and I must say that I liked the sound on all of them. Maybe preferred the airy sound on the HD 650 slightly more but the other`s were nice as well. Unfortunately they all had issues for my other preferences though:

 

HD 650 and HD 598- open headphones.  I don`t like when noise from outside is coming in or music from inside is going out. I know the "leakage" (maybe this is the correct word) is common for open headphones. 

 

HFI 780- not comfortable, the leather pads are too rough, ears touch the pads too much, top of head feels the clamping pressure. 

 

AH-D2000- isolation could be better, too loose on the head.

 

 

I enjoy overall nice airy sound with different music styles; touch of bass; comfortable velour pads or very soft leather (looking for headphones comfortable for long hour listening); good fit; the looks (not bulky); and the fact that the headphones would sound OK without an amp (although sometimes I use a small amp, see signature).

 

Music I listen to: folk, world/new age, acoustic, ambient, electro, modern classical, piano. But yeah, all the above headphones performed satisfactory sound for my needs.

 

I feel that this is maybe not possible but the perfect headphones would be with the sound, comfort, fit and velour pads of HD 650 or HD 598 BUT with good isolation.

 

Could you please show me the way :)

Price range about 220 USD.


The D2000 with jmoney leather pads has better isolation and comfort, but doesn't really help with the light clamp. Since you seem to have options available, I'll throw out a couple others for you to try out and round out the spectrum:

Audio Technica A700/A900/W1000x or higher - airy audio technica house sound, very comfortable "wing" system, but generally a loose fit

Beyer DT770 - comfy, velour pads, very strong bass, highs are a bit strong

Denon D1001 or D1100 - smaller version of the D2000, clamps a bit stronger

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by doof-ed View Post

Hey guys, I'm trying to be pursuaded (or not pursuaded) into buying some good condition Pioneer SE-700s from ebay. Just wondering how piezos sound compared to modern 'phones and how they'd be for portable use with an amp and such?


 

Even a quick google search brings up a couple headfi threads. The general impressions are that the technology was interesting but somewhat limited by the materials available at the time. You're probably better off spending your money on something newer, unless you'd just like to grab it for the sake of collecting if they're rare (I probably would rolleyes.gif)

post #3619 of 29490


Thanks for your help Armaegis

 

DT250 - That's concerning. The reviews I previously read said they were comfy as pillows - oh dear.

DT770 - From what I've read I think these will be too bass heavy and perhaps too harsh/fatiguing for me.

Other recommendations - thanks ... looking more into the HD380s - so far haven't found much comment on comfort either way. The others are either not readily available to me or (in the case of the HD25s and the P5s) I've read more than one review that talks about clamping force. (I actually looked into the P5s at the beginning of the hunt as my "real" speakers are B&W and I'm very fond of their sound signature). Also, those two are HEAPS more expensive in OZ - eg the HD25s are about $450.

 

I really wish you hadn't referred to the wooden Audio Technicas ... now you've got me lusting after the W1000x ... NOOOOoooooooo!!!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post


Audio Technicas are very comfortable, but quite bulky and isolate poorly until you get into the more expensive wooden models (and even those are only average at best).

 

The DT250 are good, but might clamp a bit on glasses. The DT770 might be better in this regard, but they're more expensive.

 

Some other random recommendations: Sennheiser HD380, Phiaton PS500. If you don't mind supraaural, there are several options there that are quite comfortable and offer great isolation: Senn HD25-1-ii, B&W P5, Beyer T50p, etc.

post #3620 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru32day View Post


Thanks for your help Armaegis

 

DT250 - That's concerning. The reviews I previously read said they were comfy as pillows - oh dear.

DT770 - From what I've read I think these will be too bass heavy and perhaps too harsh/fatiguing for me.

Other recommendations - thanks ... looking more into the HD380s - so far haven't found much comment on comfort either way. The others are either not readily available to me or (in the case of the HD25s and the P5s) I've read more than one review that talks about clamping force. (I actually looked into the P5s at the beginning of the hunt as my "real" speakers are B&W and I'm very fond of their sound signature). Also, those two are HEAPS more expensive in OZ - eg the HD25s are about $450.

 

I really wish you hadn't referred to the wooden Audio Technicas ... now you've got me lusting after the W1000x ... NOOOOoooooooo!!!

 


Comfort with glasses is an especially tricky thing. A lot depends on how the frame relates to your face/head, in addition to how the pads related to your head. For me, the more comfortable options have been the larger circumaurals or the light supraaural sets, where they are large enough to distribute pressure to my temple rather than the frame, or where they're small enough that they press on the centre ear/earlobe rather than pinch the top (pinna) into the frame. That's just for me though. Your comfort zones might be completely different.

 

I do find the DT770 bass heavy and fatiguing, but a lot of people don't so I figured I would mention them as they are quite comfortable. I mentioned the HD380 and PS500 since they were very comfortable for me on top of my glasses. I also thought the P5 was extremely comfortable, though I wasn't a fan of the sound signature (nothing wrong with it, just not my taste).

post #3621 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by doof-ed View Post

@ quietstorm: have you tried listening to HD 25-1 IIs?

 

they might be right for your budget but i havent tried them, just read that they are quite good.
I owned Senn HD-215s and they isolated really well, but they aren't quite at the same level as the ones you mentioned. Cheaper though.

 


Thank you very much for the fast response, doof-ed! I would like to buy the headphones very soon so I appreciate the quick reply.

 

Yep, I have actually heard the HD 25-1 IIs but unfortunately they are on-ear but I`m looking for over-ear ones. I find over-ear ones more comfy :)

Yeah, HD-215 wouldn`t be quite in the same league with the mentioned phones but I`ll remember that model for future references if needed.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

The D2000 with jmoney leather pads has better isolation and comfort, but doesn't really help with the light clamp. Since you seem to have options available, I'll throw out a couple others for you to try out and round out the spectrum:

Audio Technica A700/A900/W1000x or higher - airy audio technica house sound, very comfortable "wing" system, but generally a loose fit

Beyer DT770 - comfy, velour pads, very strong bass, highs are a bit strong

Denon D1001 or D1100 - smaller version of the D2000, clamps a bit stronger

 

 

Thank you for the quick response as well, Armaegis!

Jmoney leather pads- thank you for the info on this. If I could make the isolation better on the D2000 then I would be willing to cope with the light clamp as the isolation is more important for me. However, that would mean an extra 65$... I`d prefer not to spend on additional modifications but would like to have good set of phones straight from the box.

 

I really respect when headphones come with extra stuff: carrying case, extra pads, cords etc. This is why I was also looking at Fischer 003 and Ultrasone PRO 750. There are some nice deals every now and then on the "for sale" sections. The Fischers are very bulky though, heh, and constantly are out of stock. As I didn`t like the clamp on the HFI 780, the PRO 750 seems more comfortable though and I read that sound is more balanced than HFI 780. So maybe that would be a good selection when I`d find a good deal on them?

 

Audio Technica A700/A900/W1000- thank you for the information, I will read about them.

I also listened briefly to the  Beyer DT770 but didn`t like it.

Denon D1001 or D1100- tried them some time ago, there was something missing for me in them.

 

I`ve been reading many hours about phones and spending time in the stores to listen, and slowly begin to tire with all the info smily_headphones1.gif But this is worth it. I would like to have the phones for many years to come. Failing to prepare is preparing to fail, right. Onwards!

 

 


Edited by quietstorm - 5/1/11 at 9:42am
post #3622 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

It should be fine. Buy and be happy.

 


 

Thanks sir! :) How does it compare with the HD25-1? I am choosing between them. I can get the HFI-580 in a month(saving up) or I could wait up and save for another two months for the HD25-1. I really would like to know which will fit my preferences better as getting one involves a shorter time of saving up or the wait would be well worth it. :)

post #3623 of 29490

Hey there,

 

I want to buy new headphones and I did a lot of research and it seems I will have to choose between the Sennheiser HD 518s and the HD 555s. They would cost me roughly the same, so the price is not the deciding factor.  My musical taste is mainly Rock (pink floyd, radiohead) but also some electronic stuff and some pop. Overall, though, I'd like a pretty good all-around sound, with no tendencies towards any specific direction. Also, I want to listen mostly on my PC, without any amps.

Which ones should I take?


Edited by Cleverar - 5/1/11 at 11:15am
post #3624 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstorm View Post


Thank you for the quick response as well, Armaegis!

Jmoney leather pads- thank you for the info on this. If I could make the isolation better on the D2000 then I would be willing to cope with the light clamp as the isolation is more important for me. However, that would mean an extra 65$... I`d prefer not to spend on additional modifications but would like to have good set of phones straight from the box.

 

I really respect when headphones come with extra stuff: carrying case, extra pads, cords etc. This is why I was also looking at Fischer 003 and Ultrasone PRO 750. There are some nice deals every now and then on the "for sale" sections. The Fischers are very bulky though, heh, and constantly are out of stock. As I didn`t like the clamp on the HFI 780, the PRO 750 seems more comfortable though and I read that sound is more balanced than HFI 780. So maybe that would be a good selection when I`d find a good deal on them?

 

I find the Pro models quite comfortable and do not clamp too hard (and I have a wide head).
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xallarap View Post

Thanks sir! :) How does it compare with the HD25-1? I am choosing between them. I can get the HFI-580 in a month(saving up) or I could wait up and save for another two months for the HD25-1. I really would like to know which will fit my preferences better as getting one involves a shorter time of saving up or the wait would be well worth it. :)


It's really impossible to definitively say which is "better" for an individual. I would choose more on comfort and features.

 

post #3625 of 29490

I'm new to quality headphones (as I've only used cheap junkers thus far) and have no experience with them. I'm looking for headphones suited for epic/anthem trance, headphones that pronounce that uplifting and vitalizing sensation. I want the very best of the best that I can find (for it's cheapest available price) under USD$160. I use this music to aid in my meditation, I'll spend hours completely out of my mind zoning to the melody. Headphones to help further the euphoric sensation the music gives would be great. :)

I've done alot of research and heard that the m50's are a great deal, but elsewhere I've read they are a tad muddy with poor "soundstage". I couldn't know anything of the manner, but if these headphones are best and help me feel at the center/surrounded by the music, I'll be happy, If not, please point me in the right direction. =)

Here are some examples of the kind of music I want treated:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTHrIPHCBK4&feature=BFa&list=PL57183341C9ADA4F5&index=2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d34hJwMhVto&feature=BFa&list=PL57183341C9ADA4F5&index=30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoLJ4CWSLSI&feature=BFa&list=PL57183341C9ADA4F5&index=7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn7XKZ729vM&feature=BFp&list=PL57183341C9ADA4F5&index=56


(On a sidenote I read in a couple threads people were getting m50's for 94$ from authorized dealers, I went to the same websites and the price is 70$ higher now. Why did the price jump so bad? Cheapest I can find is 125$)

Thanks =)

post #3626 of 29490

Hey guys, back again with another simple question:

 

Whenever I first put on and listen to my K240's, I hear a very small buzz, kinda like a bee a foot away from you, for the first second, and then it goes away as the driver "breaks in".

I can hear that it only happens with the first couple bass hits. Is it just hair or something on the driver?

 

Thanks.

post #3627 of 29490

Hey all, 

So after reading up on headphones a bit more, as well as the responses I've gotten, (Thank you Almighty and Armaegis) I think I'm going to grab an ATH M50
 or AD700.

 

After reading a few threads I think the open AD700 is generally better for what I'm looking for? (Mostly gaming, but movies and music as well) One of the two big complainst I've seen is that the bass isn't that great. Also it's not a good fit for someone with a small head. I'm a smaller guy (5'4) but I'm only going to be using them at my desktop. Any opinions on this? 

 

And lastly, Am I going to need an amp? I'm going to either be hooking it up to my desktop (No soundcard) or my dad's old stereo system (a Sony STR-DE135 Surround Receiver) Any thoughts on this as well? And if I'm going to need an amp any budget amp recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 

 

Thank you again for being helpful guys.

 

post #3628 of 29490

ultrasone pro 550 or hfi 780

post #3629 of 29490

Which of us are you responding to? :O

post #3630 of 29490


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomShortGuy View Post

Hey all, 

So after reading up on headphones a bit more, as well as the responses I've gotten, (Thank you Almighty and Armaegis) I think I'm going to grab an ATH M50
 or AD700.

 

After reading a few threads I think the open AD700 is generally better for what I'm looking for? (Mostly gaming, but movies and music as well) One of the two big complainst I've seen is that the bass isn't that great. Also it's not a good fit for someone with a small head. I'm a smaller guy (5'4) but I'm only going to be using them at my desktop. Any opinions on this? 

 

And lastly, Am I going to need an amp? I'm going to either be hooking it up to my desktop (No soundcard) or my dad's old stereo system (a Sony STR-DE135 Surround Receiver) Any thoughts on this as well? And if I'm going to need an amp any budget amp recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 

 

Thank you again for being helpful guys.

 


Hi - I can help on the AD700.

 

[1] IMO the bass on the AD700 is OK - it's definitely not earth shattering, or in any way massive - but I find it clean and clear.  It's definitely lighter than my other cans (especially noticeable after wearing my SRH 840's).  But if all you have is the AD700's - you will get used to the bass signature, and it will be present, detailed and OK.  The sound stage and clarity is pretty good for cans at this price.

 

[2] The comfort is great (winged system).  They are very light.  If you have a small 'noggin', try using a rubber band between the two wings to pull them together.  It increases the clamp - and will help with the fit.

 

[3] Neither can needs amplification.  Saying that though, I bought an E7 (mainly for the DAC), and it does help.  The 3 stage bass boost is great with the AD700 if you want a little more bass (for movies etc).  It's a nice cheap option - and will be better than your onboard sound.

 

If you get the chance - it might pay to see if you can go somewhere to demo both the M50 and AD700.  Hearing for yourself is worth it.  If you do this - demo the AD700 first.  Otherwise you'll get underwhelmed with the AD700 bass compared to M50.  They are two very different sound signatures (and yes I've heard both).

 

For gaming - the AD700 should be ideal - I really enjoy mine.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum