or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 240  

post #3586 of 29490

Can those who have the LCD-2 and Protector balanced comment on the pairing?

 

 

Ive gone through the LCD-2 threads any only a handful of people have voiced their opinions, although i know a good number of people have both peices of equipment at the ready. 

post #3587 of 29490

I'm going to be getting myself a pair of AKG K271 MKII. I am going to go check them out in the store of course but I was hoping for some opinions. I'm mainly going to be using them in conjunction with my laptop. Am I going to be disappointed with this combo? In short should I:

Get a DAC?

Get an amp?

Get a different pair of headphones? (I'd prefer closed back, they are for library and personal listening)

Any suggestions on which amps or DAC?

 

Thank to anyone that helps with this.

post #3588 of 29490

Thought I’d give this one more try, and apologies if anyone was already queuing up to reply:

 

 

I’ve got a $300 gift certificate at Amazon and I’m lusting after a better pair of full-size headphones. I could go as high as $350 if it seemed worthwhile.

 

As a starting list I’m looking at the Sennheiser HD600, the Denon AHD2000, the AKG K 701, the Grado SR325i, the Ultrasone HFI-2400, the Beyerdynamic DT 990, and the B&W P5. This list is based on pricing and a preponderance of five-star reviews. The only cans in this list that I’ve auditioned are the HD600s, which sounded fantastic, although they seemed ideal if 90% of my listening was classical and acoustic jazz; possibly less so for Radiohead and the Stones and whatnot.

 

I listen to 40% rock/pop/hip-hop, 30% jazz, and 30% classical. I’m looking for accuracy and a realistic mid-range most of all, but I do like to rock out and get some visceral weight on the low end.

 

I’ve never owned a really good pair of full-size headphones. I’ve had many hours of happy listening for several years with a pair of Sennheiser HD 590s, and a much-loved pair of custom in-ear Ultimate Ears 5c earphones recently gave up the ghost after 7 years of service. I’ve also owned the Grado SR125. I use a Grado RA1 amp and a JDS Labs cMoyBB v. 2.03 amp, but will probably upgrade soon. This is for at-home listening and sound leakage is not an issue. I’ve got a lot of vinyl and SACDs and lossless music files but still tap a large CD collection as well.

 

So what would you do if $350 of Amazon funny money was burning a hole in YOUR pocket?

post #3589 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG07 View Post

I'm going to be getting myself a pair of AKG K271 MKII. I am going to go check them out in the store of course but I was hoping for some opinions. I'm mainly going to be using them in conjunction with my laptop. Am I going to be disappointed with this combo? In short should I:

Get a DAC?

Get an amp?

Get a different pair of headphones? (I'd prefer closed back, they are for library and personal listening)

Any suggestions on which amps or DAC?

 

Thank to anyone that helps with this.

 

The K271 are not that great for portable use, and unless you've got a rather powerful portable amp they may not sound that great either. Full sized AKGs generally like to have a lot of juice behind them. Why not check out one of their portables like the K450/Q460.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methadrol View Post

Can those who have the LCD-2 and Protector balanced comment on the pairing?

 

 

Ive gone through the LCD-2 threads any only a handful of people have voiced their opinions, although i know a good number of people have both peices of equipment at the ready. 


 

Have you tried asking in the LCD-2 thread itself?



Quote:
Originally Posted by HalSF View Post

Thought I’d give this one more try, and apologies if anyone was already queuing up to reply:

 

 

I’ve got a $300 gift certificate at Amazon and I’m lusting after a better pair of full-size headphones. I could go as high as $350 if it seemed worthwhile.

 

As a starting list I’m looking at the Sennheiser HD600, the Denon AHD2000, the AKG K 701, the Grado SR325i, the Ultrasone HFI-2400, the Beyerdynamic DT 990, and the B&W P5. This list is based on pricing and a preponderance of five-star reviews. The only cans in this list that I’ve auditioned are the HD600s, which sounded fantastic, although they seemed ideal if 90% of my listening was classical and acoustic jazz; possibly less so for Radiohead and the Stones and whatnot.

 

I listen to 40% rock/pop/hip-hop, 30% jazz, and 30% classical. I’m looking for accuracy and a realistic mid-range most of all, but I do like to rock out and get some visceral weight on the low end.

 

I’ve never owned a really good pair of full-size headphones. I’ve had many hours of happy listening for several years with a pair of Sennheiser HD 590s, and a much-loved pair of custom in-ear Ultimate Ears 5c earphones recently gave up the ghost after 7 years of service. I’ve also owned the Grado SR125. I use a Grado RA1 amp and a JDS Labs cMoyBB v. 2.03 amp, but will probably upgrade soon. This is for at-home listening and sound leakage is not an issue. I’ve got a lot of vinyl and SACDs and lossless music files but still tap a large CD collection as well.

 

So what would you do if $350 of Amazon funny money was burning a hole in YOUR pocket?


If I had the money to burn, I would go with either the HD600 or D2000 depending if I wanted open or closed.

 

post #3590 of 29490

Many thanks — that’s where I was leaning, and I’m also thinking of going closed, so it may be the D2000 that I’ll spring for.

post #3591 of 29490

I'll give this a shot before I decide to do some research on some headphones. I've decided to get a full sized headphone and something hopefully not too difficult to drive since I don't want to get a dedicated amp just yet. I'll have a Yulong D100 coming soon so I plan on just using that connected to my headphones. Isolation doesn't matter too much since I will only be using these at home.

 

I am looking for something that is close to the sound of the Westone 4 if it exists. I want something that is slightly warm, with sweet vocals and to be pretty smooth up top but not rolled off or veiled. My budget is around $250-300 but may go up to $400 if it was really worth it. I've been looking at the AKG K601 which goes for around $200 after tax and the HF2 which is around $400 in the FS forums. I was thinking the AT headphones but they have so many different brands with different lines so hard to tell what is what with them. Is there anything else that I should consider?

 

 


Edited by rawrster - 4/29/11 at 5:10pm
post #3592 of 29490

I just picked up some M50s!

 


Edited by jtmx29 - 4/29/11 at 7:31pm
post #3593 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrushing View Post

Please help... i'm a complete newb and this is my first post...

 

Music genres: Pretty equal across the board... jazz, rock, big band, metal, hip hop, electronic, etc... except modern country

Portable: Yes, NYC subway ... NO EARBUDS! I want over the ear.

Price range: $150 but maybe $200 if its worth it.

Amped: Nope... only thing pushing it with be my iPhone.

Closed/Open: Because of the train probably closed. I really wanted the Sennheiser HD 595's but i know they bleed sound. Maybe i should get the 280 or 380 pros?

 



You shouldn't get the 595's since they should really only be used in a quiet environment unless you really want to turn your player to the max volume. They don't leak as much as you would think but also barely isolate, you should treat these like using earbuds. They are however; going cheap now and are relatively easy to amp with good sound quality, they will do jazz and big band and rock pretty well but due to being open lose bass impact (I'm not saying the bass isn't quality, just that it doesn't thump on your head). I'd say go with closed
post #3594 of 29490

Good Evening All,

     I'm here to pose a question to the community.  Currently in the market for a new set of headphones. My current setup is an E7/E9 combo and shure 840's.  Can't stand these shure's comfort-wise (no complaints on sound though).  I have no intention of buying a new dac/amp anytime soon, but I am considering upgrading to the following phones:  D7000's, HD650's, or the HE5LE's.  Open vs Closed is also not a factor, they will be for home use at my computer where I sit alone for eternity.

 

The cost of these 3 models not being a factor, does anyone have an opinion on which would or would not pair well?  Appreciate any feedback or opinions offered.

 

-Andy

post #3595 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by barid View Post

Good Evening All,

     I'm here to pose a question to the community.  Currently in the market for a new set of headphones. My current setup is an E7/E9 combo and shure 840's.  Can't stand these shure's comfort-wise (no complaints on sound though).  I have no intention of buying a new dac/amp anytime soon, but I am considering upgrading to the following phones:  D7000's, HD650's, or the HE5LE's.  Open vs Closed is also not a factor, they will be for home use at my computer where I sit alone for eternity.

 

The cost of these 3 models not being a factor, does anyone have an opinion on which would or would not pair well?  Appreciate any feedback or opinions offered.

 

-Andy

D7000 is the most comfortable headphone I've ever used, and it pairs very well with most SS amps (ie. E9). I used the combo for awhile before my D100 and it was great. They've got my vote.

Not sure the HE 5 LE could be powered well by the E9...and I'm just not much of a Senn fan because I like my bass...
post #3596 of 29490

Hi guys and thanks for helpin' out. I think that without some interpersonal guidance I'd get really overwhelmed and just go buy Senn HD25's?

 

I listen to: 5% classical / art (Bach, Schoenberg, LaMonte Young), 5% folk (Gamelan, Pandit Pran Nath, Appalachian), 10% blues (Lightning Hopkins, Skip James), 10% bop jazz (Don Cherry, Charles Mingus), 10% soul (Clarence Carter, Curtis Mayfield), 15% old / fake-old country (Emmylou Harris, Marty Robbins, Louvin Brothers, Gillian Welch), 15% Hip Hop (Rakim, Rashid Hadee), 30% art-rock / indie punk / proto-emo,  (Replacements, Fugazi, Beat Happening, The Gloria Record, American Football, Pixies, Sebadoh, David Bowie, Galaxie 500, Television, Sonic Youth)

So I am kind of all over the place, really. But I listen to a lot of guitars. 

 

I am pretty sensitive to treble, anything that is bright or sibilant or crispy is really painful to me. I would like to be able to hear my hip-hop, but I'm not a crazy basshead. I don't listen to tons of classical or play video games, so I'm not sure how important "soundstage" is, but I also really love the feeling of being in a music-womb. To close my eyes and sit inside the music.

 

I'd like something closed / circumaural, because I do need the isolation. I also handle pressure on my head really poorly, as I get really intense headaches easily. So something that's comfy would be important. And maybe something that I can hear well at low volume, again with the headaches / foggy head. 

 

I want some headphones to grow into. I'm ok with needing to burn in. I want to stop listening to poor quality lossy mp3s, so I'm ok with something that's revelatory of source. I'm ok with something that needs an amp, but maybe something that could survive with a portable amp? I am 22 and don't have overabundance in the way of money or permanent space, so I don't know that I can get into lots of different bits of equipment right now.

 

I really don't care if they look geeky, and portability of the phones themselves is of only middling importance. Durability would be the most important aspect of portability for me. I'm okay with big clunkers, so long as they don't break on me and I can use a portable amp with 'em.

 

I can probably spend around $500 total for the phone/amp/cable setup. 

 

The last headphones I had were old Koss 4AAAs, no amp, that I found for really cheap. My ears got tired and achy pretty quickly listening to them, always felt like I had to turn them up too high in order to hear. Then they broke. Anything would be an improvement for me now, I don't really have anything that can play music in a non-awful-sounding fashion.

 

I don't have an iPod, these would usually be plugged into a Mac computer though, with occasional stints on the ol' (old old) record player. 

 

I want to read and learn but a few standout options would help me to get my feet under me. This is all a bit new, I spent most of my life listening to bootlegs of punk shows.

 

THANK YOU FOLKS

post #3597 of 29490

Thanks a lot for the advice. I'll take a look in those that you suggested. Nice to find some help on the subject.

post #3598 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by barid View Post

Good Evening All,

     I'm here to pose a question to the community.  Currently in the market for a new set of headphones. My current setup is an E7/E9 combo and shure 840's.  Can't stand these shure's comfort-wise (no complaints on sound though).  I have no intention of buying a new dac/amp anytime soon, but I am considering upgrading to the following phones:  D7000's, HD650's, or the HE5LE's.  Open vs Closed is also not a factor, they will be for home use at my computer where I sit alone for eternity.

 

The cost of these 3 models not being a factor, does anyone have an opinion on which would or would not pair well?  Appreciate any feedback or opinions offered.

Given the low sensitivity of the HE-5LEs they may not go so well with your E9.  Some amps get harsh when pushed hard, even if they aren't pushed all the way into clipping.  If most of the stuff you listen to is loudness war-ed with not much dynamic range then you'll probably be ok.  It'll probably be ok even if you listen to a lot of older non-classical stuff from before then or even newer stuff from "audiophile" labels that don't loudness war all their stuff.  If you listen to a lot of well mastered classical tracks then you're likely to drive the E9 into clipping at the loud parts though.  I've never tried the combination so your best bet is to ask about in a more specific thread or create you're own if someone else doesn't chime in here with some first hand experience.

 

From the specs again, your E9 should have no trouble driving the D7000s, HD650s, or most other headphones for that matter.  Some people find the HD650 clamps too hard to you might want to keep that in mind if you have a big head.  I do, and notice my HD650s clamp harder than most other open 'phones but it doesn't really bother me comfort wise.

post #3599 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritlake View Post

Hi guys and thanks for helpin' out. I think that without some interpersonal guidance I'd get really overwhelmed and just go buy Senn HD25's?

 

I listen to: 5% classical / art (Bach, Schoenberg, LaMonte Young), 5% folk (Gamelan, Pandit Pran Nath, Appalachian), 10% blues (Lightning Hopkins, Skip James), 10% bop jazz (Don Cherry, Charles Mingus), 10% soul (Clarence Carter, Curtis Mayfield), 15% old / fake-old country (Emmylou Harris, Marty Robbins, Louvin Brothers, Gillian Welch), 15% Hip Hop (Rakim, Rashid Hadee), 30% art-rock / indie punk / proto-emo,  (Replacements, Fugazi, Beat Happening, The Gloria Record, American Football, Pixies, Sebadoh, David Bowie, Galaxie 500, Television, Sonic Youth)

So I am kind of all over the place, really. But I listen to a lot of guitars. 

 

I am pretty sensitive to treble, anything that is bright or sibilant or crispy is really painful to me. I would like to be able to hear my hip-hop, but I'm not a crazy basshead. I don't listen to tons of classical or play video games, so I'm not sure how important "soundstage" is, but I also really love the feeling of being in a music-womb. To close my eyes and sit inside the music.

 

I'd like something closed / circumaural, because I do need the isolation. I also handle pressure on my head really poorly, as I get really intense headaches easily. So something that's comfy would be important. And maybe something that I can hear well at low volume, again with the headaches / foggy head. 

 

I want some headphones to grow into. I'm ok with needing to burn in. I want to stop listening to poor quality lossy mp3s, so I'm ok with something that's revelatory of source. I'm ok with something that needs an amp, but maybe something that could survive with a portable amp? I am 22 and don't have overabundance in the way of money or permanent space, so I don't know that I can get into lots of different bits of equipment right now.

 

I really don't care if they look geeky, and portability of the phones themselves is of only middling importance. Durability would be the most important aspect of portability for me. I'm okay with big clunkers, so long as they don't break on me and I can use a portable amp with 'em.

 

I can probably spend around $500 total for the phone/amp/cable setup. 

 

The last headphones I had were old Koss 4AAAs, no amp, that I found for really cheap. My ears got tired and achy pretty quickly listening to them, always felt like I had to turn them up too high in order to hear. Then they broke. Anything would be an improvement for me now, I don't really have anything that can play music in a non-awful-sounding fashion.

 

I don't have an iPod, these would usually be plugged into a Mac computer though, with occasional stints on the ol' (old old) record player. 

 

I want to read and learn but a few standout options would help me to get my feet under me. This is all a bit new, I spent most of my life listening to bootlegs of punk shows.

 

THANK YOU FOLKS


 

I think an ultrasone might work well for you. They are fairly comfortable, isolate well, are well built, are easy to drive, tend to dip in the upper ranges, and their S-logic typically creates the sense of volume without having to actually turn it up.  I've heard a bunch of their midrange models which all share the same characteristics. The Pro900 is the top of the line closed model (before you get into the crazy expensive Edition models) and is within your budget.

 

Some other models to look at:

Sennheiser HD380 - comfy, great isolation, comes with case

Shure 840 - sturdy, bassy, relaxed sound


Edited by Armaegis - 4/30/11 at 1:17am
post #3600 of 29490

 

 I'm a bit a bassmaniac and looking for some headphones with serious bass. I prefer closed that has minimum of 15db isolation. Most of all i listen Techno or dance music. What's the best ones in a price range of 500-1500$?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum